Golf in Retirement,

weten2

I will be retiring in the next 1-2 years and moving to another location by our daughter. The main impetus for this was to pick a CC or course before a house location. I posted this thread: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/723819-will-be-retired-and-moving-to-a-new-area/

and recevied several posts which were informative and thought provoking leading me to this topic.

At this point not knowing for sure how my future in golf will pan out. Thinking I needed a country club to provide golf partners and organized golf in a new area I'm finding out I may not need to.

I'm curious hot many times/wk you play, is it public or private and how do you meet new golf buddies?

What have you doned to control costs; ie Golfnow, play on week days, senior discounts?

Have you enjoyed the game as much as before retirement?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The area you live in tends to dictate costs and to some degree the number of options you have.

I play an average of 4 times per week, 365 days a year. I found a muni that I can play for about 1/4 the cost of a private club, and yes, the course isnt quite as nice, (but I'm not trying to make the PGA tour either), but the muni has a big group that plays 4 times per week, which satisfies my need to compete. I got into the group just by asking around. I tend not to play in pricey scrambles or handicap tourneys due to the extra cost, sandbagging, and also have been there done that.

I also play several different courses and the snowbird area that I live in has numerous options. The summer is slow for golf courses here so there is always a bargain to be found. Sometimes its a coupon, a website special, and sometimes its just a reduced all summer long rate. Winter is high season, so we tend to play more at one course just to avoid the higher fees. To circumvent higher winter fees, I also buy an annual pass to the muni I play most frequently. I save so much over a year, I dont feel compelled to play it every time I play.

I find that paying a website for a green fee, doesnt filter down to the actual golf course, so I always call the course and determine if they will match the website price. Frequently, they will and even be willing to offer a more suitable tee time. When traveling in a new area, I will use golflink to search out options, then call around to find out if any specials exist, and usually can find a nice course at a reasonable price, and have actually found some real gems for courses at great prices. Many courses offer senior discounts on slow days, I usually avoid twilight tee times as a way to save money.

I enjoy golf even more in retirement. No pressures of work on my mind, dont need to play when the weather is bad, and have found nice courses at a reasonable price that fits my budget that offers the type of golf that I enjoy, that I can play nearly 365 days per year.

PS Now carrying an 8 handicap which is nearly an all time low. Was a 6 for about 20 minutes years ago.

[quote name='rvgolfer' timestamp='1347294112' post='5616877']
The area you live in tends to dictate costs and to some degree the number of options you have.

I play an average of 4 times per week, 365 days a year. I found a muni that I can play for about 1/4 the cost of a private club, and yes, the course isnt quite as nice, (but I'm not trying to make the PGA tour either), but the muni has a big group that plays 4 times per week, which satisfies my need to compete. I got into the group just by asking around. I tend not to play in pricey scrambles or handicap tourneys due to the extra cost, sandbagging, and also have been there done that.

I also play several different courses and the snowbird area that I live in has numerous options. The summer is slow for golf courses here so there is always a bargain to be found. Sometimes its a coupon, a website special, and sometimes its just a reduced all summer long rate. Winter is high season, so we tend to play more at one course just to avoid the higher fees. To circumvent higher winter fees, I also buy an annual pass to the muni I play most frequently. I save so much over a year, I dont feel compelled to play it every time I play.

I find that paying a website for a green fee, doesnt filter down to the actual golf course, so I always call the course and determine if they will match the website price. Frequently, they will and even be willing to offer a more suitable tee time. When traveling in a new area, I will use golflink to search out options, then call around to find out if any specials exist, and usually can find a nice course at a reasonable price, and have actually found some real gems for courses at great prices. Many courses offer senior discounts on slow days, I usually avoid twilight tee times as a way to save money.

I enjoy golf even more in retirement. No pressures of work on my mind, dont need to play when the weather is bad, and have found nice courses at a reasonable price that fits my budget that offers the type of golf that I enjoy, that I can play nearly 365 days per year.

PS Now carrying an 8 handicap which is nearly an all time low. Was a 6 for about 20 minutes years ago.
[/quote]
RV;
Thanks for the thorough explanation of your golf life. Your explanation of the snow bird area is of interest since I will be spending 6 months of the year in the Naples, FL area. The negative is I will need two sets of golf groups; one in the north and one in the south.

I didn't start playing regularly until I was 51 (12 years ago) and feel my best golf is still in the future (lowest handicap-15) when I can play and practice regularly. I think you gave me some confidence this is doable.
Thanks

Season passes are frequently available in snow bird areas as well. I would expect you will have to "experiment" a bit to find the right group in both Naples and Ohio, but I feel confident that you will be able to find a suitable group.

Its really about finding both together, a course you like and a group to go with it, all within your overall budget.

I have found that groups that have all ages tend to be more fun for me, as opposed to the group being all retirees. I also I find that many retirees have just started playing golf, have little golf experience, play more for exercise rather than score, and tend to be less competitive.

[size=3]I live in the far northern exurbs of Philadelphia where there are many good quality public courses that a senior can play and ride a cart for under $30 weekdays. Of course, walking is always an option, but many of the courses feature hilly holes that make walking rather tiring. The best way to find new golf buddies is to join one of the many golf leagues the courses host. [/size]

[size=3]The past year or so, I've been able to play in every month of the year, but eventually, we'll get a snowy winter. I've been retired since 1999 and play a couple of times a week and enjoy golf as much as ever--maybe more-- and I've been playing since 1960. As one ages, the length of courses is less important than the overall maintenance of tees, fairways, and greens and the interest of the design. I play at least one round a week at a course about 5 minutes from my house and another at a different course everyweek. I used to play a great many different courses, driving as much as an hour or more to get there, but now I stay within 45 minutes and have reduced the number of courses to about ten that still amuse me.[/size]

[size=3]My body will no longer allow me to pound ball after ball at the range, nor to play two days in a row, but I still manage to carry my bag when it's cool enough and the course is reasonably flat and the guys I'm playing with aren't riding. One's physical condition is something to consider when contemplating retirement golf. I've had two herniated disks surgically repaired and have a bad left hip and right knee that gets cranky at times. Even so, thanks to better clubs and balls, I can still bang a drive 250 yards on a good day--and that feels mighty good. Now, if I could only putt![/size]

[size=3]This is a great question, and the answers are full of opportunities! I retired about 6 months ago - was lucky enough to retire earlier then most folks - and began to take up golf more seriously. I had played in earlier years, before kids, and sporadically throughout my career (annual work scrambles, after work leagues, etc). So before I retired, I decided to play more often and try to play better. Found many public or semi-private courses that can be played for reasonable costs, I have found three or four 'groups' of folks who welcomed my playing with them, at this point I probably play 3-4 time a week.

For example, yesterday I played with the regular Wednesday Morning blitz - 18 holes, no handicaps, 5 bucks ante, and skins and greenies pay. Great fun, most guys are retired, and many very good golfers. I also was invited (and joined) a league that is independent, and plays a Monday League series all season - lots of different courses within driving distance - and since there are probably 80-100 folks in the league (not nearly that many play every week), we get great prices and have a lot of fun. I sometimes win a few bucks and sometimes not, but always have a good time and good cameradie.

In my area, I bought a yearly pass to two excellent courses and only pay cart fees (they are owned by the same company). And in the of season (Nov 30-feb 28) I can play free if I walk. The are mostly a tourist course during the summer, but I still get deep deep discounts after 11 am during tourist season. Seems like tourists like to golf in the a.m., then beach after lunch, I guess! Break even on this pass is about 10-12 rounds, and since I probably play there 60 times a year (and increasing since I joined the morning blitz group), I am WAY ahead in the money department. On days I don't golf, I go to the local YMCA - great facility for fitness (I now have time to be very serious about diet, cardio, flexibility, and fitness). So, I can still get the ball 260-280 or so on a real good day (my average drive is about 235-245 however) and can still play from the blue tees. I am truly enjoying my time on the links these days.

My wife and i are getting ready to sell out and move to the Wilmington NC area, which will undoubtedly provide many more opportunities - including the proximity to Myrtle Beach with its 200 or so golf courses - all with discount programs! There are numerous golf communities there - some private, some public, and most with associations, pass programs, men's leagues, ladies' leagues, etc. One place we are considering actually has a men's league that, once a month, challenges other local men's leagues and plays other courses around the area. Great fun, a bit of competitive angst, and a great social tool set as well.

To sum up, Since I retired, I am enjoying my golf game more than I ever have in my life. I didn't have the opportunities as a youth, and by the time I did have a couple of bucks to play, I didn't have time (career, children, etc). Now, I can do my chores after my round, it does't cost much, and I don't get frustrated due to too much intensity or not enough practice. And my hci just dipped to 9.6 - lowest in my life, and will be under 9 by the end of the year (yeah, I know --- now I gotta start playing some real golf... :fie: ).

I think if you look, you will find many many opportunities all over the place, and it will be pretty easy to find your niche as a retired golfer without locking yourself into a private club environment if you don't want to be in one. Lots of folks say that in retirement, the best thing you can do for yourself is to find something to pursue to excellence, to stay engaged and physically active, and to keep learning new things. Golf can be a great part of that model if you want it to be!

Hope this helps.[/size]

[quote name='plus8' timestamp='1347530402' post='5633293']
[size=3]This is a great question, and the answers are full of opportunities! I retired about 6 months ago - was lucky enough to retire earlier then most folks - and began to take up golf more seriously. I had played in earlier years, before kids, and sporadically throughout my career (annual work scrambles, after work leagues, etc). So before I retired, I decided to play more often and try to play better. Found many public or semi-private courses that can be played for reasonable costs, I have found three or four 'groups' of folks who welcomed my playing with them, at this point I probably play 3-4 time a week.

For example, yesterday I played with the regular Wednesday Morning blitz - 18 holes, no handicaps, 5 bucks ante, and skins and greenies pay. Great fun, most guys are retired, and many very good golfers. I also was invited (and joined) a league that is independent, and plays a Monday League series all season - lots of different courses within driving distance - and since there are probably 80-100 folks in the league (not nearly that many play every week), we get great prices and have a lot of fun. I sometimes win a few bucks and sometimes not, but always have a good time and good cameradie.

In my area, I bought a yearly pass to two excellent courses and only pay cart fees (they are owned by the same company). And in the of season (Nov 30-feb 28) I can play free if I walk. The are mostly a tourist course during the summer, but I still get deep deep discounts after 11 am during tourist season. Seems like tourists like to golf in the a.m., then beach after lunch, I guess! Break even on this pass is about 10-12 rounds, and since I probably play there 60 times a year (and increasing since I joined the morning blitz group), I am WAY ahead in the money department. On days I don't golf, I go to the local YMCA - great facility for fitness (I now have time to be very serious about diet, cardio, flexibility, and fitness). So, I can still get the ball 260-280 or so on a real good day (my average drive is about 235-245 however) and can still play from the blue tees. I am truly enjoying my time on the links these days.

My wife and i are getting ready to sell out and move to the Wilmington NC area, which will undoubtedly provide many more opportunities - including the proximity to Myrtle Beach with its 200 or so golf courses - all with discount programs! There are numerous golf communities there - some private, some public, and most with associations, pass programs, men's leagues, ladies' leagues, etc. One place we are considering actually has a men's league that, once a month, challenges other local men's leagues and plays other courses around the area. Great fun, a bit of competitive angst, and a great social tool set as well.

To sum up, Since I retired, I am enjoying my golf game more than I ever have in my life. I didn't have the opportunities as a youth, and by the time I did have a couple of bucks to play, I didn't have time (career, children, etc). Now, I can do my chores after my round, it does't cost much, and I don't get frustrated due to too much intensity or not enough practice. And my hci just dipped to 9.6 - lowest in my life, and will be under 9 by the end of the year (yeah, I know --- now I gotta start playing some real golf... :fie: ).

I think if you look, you will find many many opportunities all over the place, and it will be pretty easy to find your niche as a retired golfer without locking yourself into a private club environment if you don't want to be in one. Lots of folks say that in retirement, the best thing you can do for yourself is to find something to pursue to excellence, to stay engaged and physically active, and to keep learning new things. Golf can be a great part of that model if you want it to be!

Hope this helps.[/size]
[/quote]
This does help. It sounds like you are living my plan. You are working out and playing regularly and improving your game.
Golf is a complex game that I find challenging and hopefully will keep me stimulated and sharp in retirement.
I'm also gaining comfort knowing I should be happy without joining a country club.
Good luck in NC.

After retiring about a year ago I got a job as a ranger/starter at a very upscale CC. I work 6-7 days a month. It gets me free golf, 60% off pro shop merchandise, 50% off in the dining room. The free golf is good for my whole family. I have made many friends and play regularly with other employees.

My wife and I play a lot together, so it works out great and actually gives me something to do a few days a month.

I live in the South East and can play year round.

PING K15, 10.5*
PING K15, 5w
PING K15, 4 hybrid
PING Gmax, 5-SW
PING G20, LW (bent to 60*)
PING Nome

[quote name='pingman1' timestamp='1347888233' post='5650769']
After retiring about a year ago I got a job as a ranger/starter at a very upscale CC. I work 6-7 days a month. It gets me free golf, 60% off pro shop merchandise, 50% off in the dining room. The free golf is good for my whole family. I have made many friends and play regularly with other employees.

My wife and I play a lot together, so it works out great and actually gives me something to do a few days a month.

[/quote]
I'm curious if you are enjoying the retirement after a year, if you get enough stimulation and what you do to get this? Back when the economy was good I always said I enjoy my job even more than golf. Now with a different company (construction and real estate took a big hit) I don't enjoy it as much and I'm getting tired of the stress and fear of losing my job again. I'm an engineer and was a president of a design build company and wonder if I can stay stimulated without work. We will be moving to my daughters home and I won't be able to ease into retirement or find similar work. I have thought about working at a course or with a golf fitter.

[quote name='weten2' timestamp='1347889029' post='5650807']
[quote name='pingman1' timestamp='1347888233' post='5650769']

[/quote]
I'm curious if you are enjoying the retirement after a year, if you get enough stimulation and what you do to get this? Back when the economy was good I always said I enjoy my job even more than golf. Now with a different company (construction and real estate took a big hit) I don't enjoy it as much and I'm getting tired of the stress and fear of losing my job again. I'm an engineer and was a president of a design build company and wonder if I can stay stimulated without work. We will be moving to my daughters home and I won't be able to ease into retirement or find similar work. I have thought about working at a course or with a golf fitter.
[/quote]

It took me about 3 months to adjust, and actually there were times I thought I made a mistake. But now I really enjoy retirement. Working at the golf course is great, and when I am not working I practice on the range and putting green. We also have a reciprical agreement with 12 courses in the area, that we can play at no cost. I forgot to mention I get paid minimum wage while working, obviously it's not much but supports my golf club hoing.

I was in automotive management all my career, and simply had enough. There is something to be said for getting up whenever you want, doing what you want when you want to do it, relaxing, doing a little traveling, etc.

Also we really downsized, sold the big house, bought a townhouse (I sold all the yard working tools!) We have been married 40 years, and you can imagine the "stuff" we had accumulated over the years. We got rid of it all, except personal things of course. Haven't missed any of the "stuff"

PING K15, 10.5*
PING K15, 5w
PING K15, 4 hybrid
PING Gmax, 5-SW
PING G20, LW (bent to 60*)
PING Nome

Several years ago, I semi-retired and moved to a golf community in the southeast. It features a "top 100" golf course, which was the big draw for me, but it turns out the community is even better than the golf course! We have a mix of: full time retired residents; full time retirees who split time between here and their homes up north; and people who live here and work full time. It definitely skews toward an older age group.

It was easy for me to find people to play with, since there are a lot of regular game--almost every day of the week. Many of my buddies play 4-5 times a week. All of the private clubs here have reciprocal agreements during the summer, so we can play all the other private clubs in the area for $25-$50/round. I am in a group of guys that takes golf trips together. I am VERY lucky in this regard because these guys seem to have connections to a lot of great golf courses--as does our head pro.

Virtually all of the full-time retirees are involved in many activities locally, and also travel quite a bit. You definitely need to work at staying active when you are retired. I think it just takes a little different mindset. A lot of the folks here plan their trips a year or more in advance.

It is not unusually for some of the retired folks here to return to the workplace, and take on some consulting gigs.

Good luck with your plans!

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest you leave yourself several options (golf course wise) if you can. You'll never know why you might want to change courses but there may be good reasons. So leave yourself other choices because once you buy a house you'll be kinda stuck.
For me memberships are by far the best option (money wise) $700 per year works out to less than $3.00 per round. If you walk with your eyes peeled you will find all the balls you need. I've "recycled" close to 1500 in the last couple of years.
Lastly the price of gloves, if you play often you will go through many pairs, unless you think out of the box. I've mentioned this in other topics on this site, but nobody seemed to care, but I will pass it along to you just in case. In a box store at Christmas time I found a special on work gloves 3 pairs for $10. At the time I didn't associate them with golf. They were laying around the house and I got in the habit of grabbing one to practice swing and while they were a bit thicker than regular golf gloves, you get used to them in no time. Out on the course their value, in my opinion, just went through the roof. They wear like iron, they don't seem to get wet even on 100 degree days. They make great winter gloves and if you can find an opposite side player to trade a couple of your odd side gloves it will bring your price down even more.
There's nothing like walking a course for fun and health. If the fun goes away (bad golf) my puppy doesn't care whether we're losing them or finding them. Good luck

[quote name='4224' timestamp='1349109955' post='5731051']
I would suggest you leave yourself several options (golf course wise) if you can. You'll never know why you might want to change courses but there may be good reasons. So leave yourself other choices because once you buy a house you'll be kinda stuck.
For me memberships are by far the best option (money wise) $700 per year works out to less than $3.00 per round. If you walk with your eyes peeled you will find all the balls you need. I've "recycled" close to 1500 in the last couple of years.
Lastly the price of gloves, if you play often you will go through many pairs, unless you think out of the box. I've mentioned this in other topics on this site, but nobody seemed to care, but I will pass it along to you just in case. In a box store at Christmas time I found a special on work gloves 3 pairs for $10. At the time I didn't associate them with golf. They were laying around the house and I got in the habit of grabbing one to practice swing and while they were a bit thicker than regular golf gloves, you get used to them in no time. Out on the course their value, in my opinion, just went through the roof. They wear like iron, they don't seem to get wet even on 100 degree days. They make great winter gloves and if you can find an opposite side player to trade a couple of your odd side gloves it will bring your price down even more.
There's nothing like walking a course for fun and health. If the fun goes away (bad golf) my puppy doesn't care whether we're losing them or finding them. Good luck
[/quote]

Where do you live where you can get a membership for $700/yr? You must be in a very rural area or on cow pasture. The cheapiest I've seen in the Columbus area is around $2200 for a senior. In Naples you can get it down to $1500 if you pay up front for 10 years.

Great question,
I have been retired 5 years now and moved to the sub tropical end of Queensland Australia . It means I can play 12 months of the year (unless we get floods or cyclones in wet season).
I am a member of a semi private club w ith a championship 7000 yard course . Recently I went from a 7 day membership to a 5 day membership which costs $ 980 ( US $ 1050) pa . I also have my own cart which I store at the club in a two cart shed for $450 pa.
We have a Seniors and veterans club at the course who have competitions every monday and it iis open to members of any club for a fee of $15 pa and a comp fee of $9 per competition. They also organise comps at other courses throughout the year for $15 per comp. There are quite a few Vets who are members at lower ranked courses but get to play at ours every monday which I think is a great idea as we get around 100 -120 players every monday and you get to meet and play with a variety of blokes around the same same age with handicaps from 2 to 34
I also play every friday in the club comps as well as play 9 social holes every Wed.
What a great life

[quote name='Ozsouthpaw' timestamp='1349593746' post='5761013']
Great question,
I have been retired 5 years now and moved to the sub tropical end of Queensland Australia . It means I can play 12 months of the year (unless we get floods or cyclones in wet season).
I am a member of a semi private club w ith a championship 7000 yard course . Recently I went from a 7 day membership to a 5 day membership which costs $ 980 ( US $ 1050) pa . I also have my own cart which I store at the club in a two cart shed for $450 pa.
We have a Seniors and veterans club at the course who have competitions every monday and it iis open to members of any club for a fee of $15 pa and a comp fee of $9 per competition. They also organise comps at other courses throughout the year for $15 per comp. There are quite a few Vets who are members at lower ranked courses but get to play at ours every monday which I think is a great idea as we get around 100 -120 players every monday and you get to meet and play with a variety of blokes around the same same age with handicaps from 2 to 34
I also play every friday in the club comps as well as play 9 social holes every Wed.
What a great life
[/quote]

This sounds like a great way to play. I hope I can find similar in Columbus, IN or Naples, FL
I would also like to walk however in Florida most require an electric cart.