2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

'13 Callaway X Forged Iron Pics (updated 2/2/13 w/ more Pics)

GolfWRX

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1359072429' post='6292353']
[quote name='VAGolfer86' timestamp='1359061783' post='6291179']
[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1359057281' post='6290723']
[quote name='Bogey's Belly' timestamp='1359042621' post='6288959']
Thanks Andre. That is encouraging news about the PXi, you and Golfware now nearly have me convinced that I'll be OK w/out C-Tapers, not to mention $200 richer after this brutal spending spree I'm on.
[/quote]

You can add me to the list of people who played C-Tapers before and have zero qualms about moving to PXi right now.
[/quote]

Yea- I hope this is true for me when I get fitted. $30/club adds up.
[/quote]

If the PXi felt like the PXi but was 130 grams...I would play them in a heartbeat..! I think they are almost as smooth as the Ctaper for my tastes but I can't do light weight. Like Hayzooos said, I too don't take full out swings, more like 3/4 controlled flighted shots for distance control, and I can do it wonderfully with the Ctapers at 130. But I cannot emphasis enough how good the PXi feels...I don't think it is anywhere near as load-dependent as the PX's.
[/quote]

Yea I am waiting on my fitter to get a few C-taper options in. The [PXi] 6.0 was definitely light, and I wasn't on the monitor to see flight stats. It did, however, FEEL fantastic. If the stats are good on the 6.0, I'm sure I could get used to the weight. Otherwise I may try to softstep the 6.5 for added weight. What do you think?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tigerslions78' timestamp='1359068265' post='6291943']
[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1359067476' post='6291855']
I'm actually playing PXi 6.0 in my wedges as well. First time I've gone with a shaft like that in a wedge. I've always been more of a stock/S300 kind of guy. Always wanted to try out S400 in wedges but never got around to it. Rarely do I ever take anything near a full shot with a wedge (52/58) in my hands so I never needed anything as still as what I'm playing in irons.

Normally, I would've picked the 6.5s in my irons like I did with the X-Utility, but I dropped it down a flex just because I know lately I've been swinging softer with irons in particular to maintain better distance control. I'll step on an iron if I have to, but I'd much rather take an 80% iron shot over a 95-100% one any day. I think I started doing that when I was having so many problems going left with irons, that I just started taking more punch or 3/4 shots to keep them online. Been doing that for a handful of years now I suppose.
[/quote]

how do the xhot pros play with the pxi 6.0? Looks like a nice combo!
[/quote]

I only have one round in with them, but from memory (again, this was over a month ago now) they were great. I'm going to get a chance to really test them out in about a week and a half. I'll be sure to post some updates and feedback on all the clubs when I get a chance to really test them out playing a few full rounds.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='VAGolfer86' timestamp='1359077904' post='6292841']
[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1359072429' post='6292353']
[quote name='VAGolfer86' timestamp='1359061783' post='6291179']
[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1359057281' post='6290723']
[quote name='Bogey's Belly' timestamp='1359042621' post='6288959']
Thanks Andre. That is encouraging news about the PXi, you and Golfware now nearly have me convinced that I'll be OK w/out C-Tapers, not to mention $200 richer after this brutal spending spree I'm on.
[/quote]

You can add me to the list of people who played C-Tapers before and have zero qualms about moving to PXi right now.
[/quote]

Yea- I hope this is true for me when I get fitted. $30/club adds up.
[/quote]

If the PXi felt like the PXi but was 130 grams...I would play them in a heartbeat..! I think they are almost as smooth as the Ctaper for my tastes but I can't do light weight. Like Hayzooos said, I too don't take full out swings, more like 3/4 controlled flighted shots for distance control, and I can do it wonderfully with the Ctapers at 130. But I cannot emphasis enough how good the PXi feels...I don't think it is anywhere near as load-dependent as the PX's.
[/quote]

Yea I am waiting on my fitter to get a few C-taper options in. The [PXi] 6.0 was definitely light, and I wasn't on the monitor to see flight stats. It did, however, FEEL fantastic. If the stats are good on the 6.0, I'm sure I could get used to the weight. Otherwise I may try to softstep the 6.5 for added weight. What do you think?
[/quote]
Not a bad option there if the 6.5 weight is good for you. Your swing will dictate what shafts you end up going with. I did SS 1x the Ctaper X in this set, the TM's I had done were straight in, but will be 47 this year...not getting any younger, but still hit 93-94mph with the 6 iron. I just love the 130 grams.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Saw these in flesh today and they are just as good as the pictures made them out to be. I couldn't hit them because there was only right handed available. I did notice they are light weight with the pxi 6.0 and when compared side by side with the razr x forged they are lighter than them with the px flighted 6.0. I am hoping the pxi6.0 was a good match for me because I ordered the irons before even trying them. I just figured that I play px flghted in my proto's and they agree with me and True Temper stated the PXI play to the same rifle flex so it should be a match. I guess worst case if the shafts turn out to be a bit soft and too light then its not the end of the world I will just have to re-shaft them. That will teach me for jumping on a pre order and buying a set of irons sight unseen.

[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1359100542' post='6294515']
Saw these in flesh today and they are just as good as the pictures made them out to be. I couldn't hit them because there was only right handed available. I did notice they are light weight with the pxi 6.0 and when compared side by side with the razr x forged they are lighter than them with the px flighted 6.0. I am hoping the pxi6.0 was a good match for me because I ordered the irons before even trying them. I just figured that I play px flghted in my proto's and they agree with me and True Temper stated the PXI play to the same rifle flex so it should be a match. I guess worst case if the shafts turn out to be a bit soft and too light then its not the end of the world I will just have to re-shaft them. That will teach me for jumping on a pre order and buying a set of irons sight unseen.
[/quote]

I also came to the 2013 X Forged irons from Protos w/PX Flighted 6.0's. The overall weight of the X forged is slightly less, but swingweight, at least between my sets, is identical. They feel the same when swinging and the flex feels identical between the pxi 6.0 and px flighted 6.0. I think you'll like them. I've been hitting the X Forged for about a month now and am finally getting used to them. They are a very good iron. They are not head an shoulders above the protos as far as feel, but they are a bit more forgiving and do feel really nice. Just give them several sessions before passing judgement compared to your protos. It's taken me about a month to really feel comfortable with them.

Ping G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 Max 15 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 3 Hybrid Kai'Li White

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 50, 56, 60

For those asking for comparison pictures, I've pulled out what has already been posted and put them in their own thread:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/780833-2013-callaway-x-forged-irons-comparison-pictures/

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

was at the Galaxy...saw the new x forged. these irons are sweeeeeeeet!!!! compact head great head shape. they were light though, swingweight was there but overall club weight was uber light. hmmmmm, the pxi is nice but its weight might keep it off the table.

915 D3 8.5 Rogue Silver60
915 FD 15 Rogue Black80
915 H 18 Rogue Black85
Titleist 712u 19* DG Pro
Titleist 714 AP2 4-pw DG Pro
Vokey Sm5 58K,52S DG

Hit them at the show and loved them.. They look and feel amazing. Also hit the x hot pro, they are longer but the x forged were so much better. The pxi feels great in them and i have never liked px shafts. These and the amp cell pros were my favorite irons there by far. Would love to hit them side by side to compare.

Titleist TSR3 Tensei 1k white
Callaway GBB Denali black 

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58m PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

Picked up my new XForged itons today as well as some forged wedges. Really glad I went with the X100s. Played a quick round today. Was having to club down because of the cold weather but these things still felt great! Hit 12 of 18 GIR (67%) and shot 73 with preferred lies from white tees (~6100 yards). Great start with the new clubs!

Ball flight was actually a bit higher than I expected. My 4 iron was much higher than my old RAZR forged but even my 8/9/PW was a touch higher than before. What I really liked was the interaction with the turf. My RAZR forged always swept across the ground with virtually no divot or really dug in if I got too steep. The XForged glided right thru with perfect little 3 inch divots with no effort on my part.

Quick pic of the new tools:

WhiZ

Looking Great Whiz...!!! THE IRONS ARE SICK!! Three rounds in total, and I am in absolute heaven with the irons!!

Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

I noticed that most of people that I have seen playing these have gone with the 50* for their gap wedge. Did you compare a 52* and end up going with the 50* to fill the gap better?

Complete Overhaul In Progress (might be epic)
Iblades 3-pw px 6.0
Vokey SM5 50*
MD2 56* and 60*
Rife Iconic
Bushnell Pro X7
b330s

"I read greens on a 3rd Grade Level"

[quote name='wcm115' timestamp='1359213660' post='6302391']
I noticed that most of people that I have seen playing these have gone with the 50* for their gap wedge. Did you compare a 52* and end up going with the 50* to fill the gap better?
[/quote]

I think the 4 wedge players willl go with the 50 (PW, 50 ,54/56, 58/60) and the three wedge players will go with PW, 52, 58...............I am going to play the 3 wedge set up.

[quote name='WhiZ' timestamp='1359180848' post='6301259']
Picked up my new XForged itons today as well as some forged wedges. Really glad I went with the X100s. Played a quick round today. Was having to club down because of the cold weather but these things still felt great! Hit 12 of 18 GIR (67%) and shot 73 with preferred lies from white tees (~6100 yards). Great start with the new clubs!

Ball flight was actually a bit higher than I expected. My 4 iron was much higher than my old RAZR forged but even my 8/9/PW was a touch higher than before. What I really liked was the interaction with the turf. My RAZR forged always swept across the ground with virtually no divot or really dug in if I got too steep. The XForged glided right thru with perfect little 3 inch divots with no effort on my part.

Quick pic of the new tools:

WhiZ
[/quote]

Nice bag

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

I had a chance to hit the entire line today. The x hot tour model is a beautiful iron. I hit them with the PXI 6.0. They felt terrific. I hit the x forged also had the PXI and the regular project x non flighted. I passed on the regular PX as I already play them. While the Tour felt amazing the X forged felt a little softer. Both will sell, well.

TM R11 w Accra SC 75 M4
Nike Covert 2.0 3w w Accra Tour Z M4
Adams Grey Peanut 24* Aldila By You 80X
MP32 6-PW PX 6.0
Cobra Trust Rusty 56* and 60* S200 Shaft
DW Davis Custom Anser Style Putter

So mad went to one of the biggest store in CA (Haggin Oaks Superstore) and somehow they did not get their shipment of either the XHP Irons or the X Forged.

Had all the other X Hot stuff (Drivers, FW, hybrids) but no irons. Well that stinks as I really wanted to compare them today.

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

[quote name='andrevanderpost' timestamp='1359226861' post='6303329']
[quote name='wcm115' timestamp='1359213660' post='6302391']
[/quote]

I think the 4 wedge players willl go with the 50 (PW, 50 ,54/56, 58/60) and the three wedge players will go with PW, 52, 58...............I am going to play the 3 wedge set up.
[/quote]

Three wedge for me in the 46..52...58... 6 degree gaps, perfect...easy to dial in between yardages .

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='dirthead' timestamp='1359118310' post='6294873']
[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1359100542' post='6294515']
[/quote]

I also came to the 2013 X Forged irons from Protos w/PX Flighted 6.0's. The overall weight of the X forged is slightly less, but swingweight, at least between my sets, is identical. They feel the same when swinging and the flex feels identical between the pxi 6.0 and px flighted 6.0. I think you'll like them. I've been hitting the X Forged for about a month now and am finally getting used to them. They are a very good iron. They are not head an shoulders above the protos as far as feel, but they are a bit more forgiving and do feel really nice. Just give them several sessions before passing judgement compared to your protos. It's taken me about a month to really feel comfortable with them.
[/quote]

The irons will be keepers. I am not expecting them to be leaps and bounds ahead of the proto's in the feel department. I will give the PXI shafts a fair trial before passing judgement on the shafts. If I don't like the pxi shafts i will try a set of c tapers in there and see how they go. I like the px flighted and had so kbs tours that were ok as well. I guess it will just be a matter of what shafts fit me best with these heads. I am hoping the PXI is ok and I don't have to change out the shafts. They should be here in a few days so the excitement level is rising. The proto's keep looking at me as if I have cheated on them. Off to the bag in the study for them.

Was told today the irons are about two weeks out still before shipping to major retailers...........I have a set on order, so patiently waiting.

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K Blue Regular 45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

Saw these today at the Callaway tent at the Farmers Open. These look even better in person. So freakin sweet.

Ping G400LST 10* Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 6.3x
Callaway Epic Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 765 Tour Spec X
Taylormade P790 UDI
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW X100 TI
Vokey SM6 50*/Nike Engage SS 55*/TM Hi-Toe 60*
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

[quote name='toddba11' timestamp='1359323733' post='6310243']
Was told today the irons are about two weeks out still before shipping to major retailers...........I have a set on order, so patiently waiting.
[/quote]

We have a set on the floor for sale at GG right now...We weren't sure when they were coming in...I think only 1 set in right now.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='JDorfler' timestamp='1359323811' post='6310257']
How is the feel compared to the MBs?
[/quote]

I went to the 2013 X Forged irons with PX Pxi shafts from a set of X Protos with PX Flighted. Shafts in both sets were 6.0's. I'm going to assume the X Protos and Razr X MB's feel the same. From my experience playing the new irons about a month now, I will say to me, the MB's feel slightly softer and slightly more "crisp". Now that difference could be from the shafts. The difference in feel is very slight, but it is noticeable. The X Forged irons are a little bit more forgiving and they are very soft and crisp, just a tad below that of the MB's, in my opinion. The X Forged are fantastic clubs and I'm not planning to switch back to my protos.

Ping G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 Max 15 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 3 Hybrid Kai'Li White

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 50, 56, 60

I played my first round with mine (X100) yesterday, and have been playing the MB's on and off for about the last 3 years. I've switched to other clubs, but always find myself coming back to the MB's for their feel and consistency. My biggest concern was the ability to flight the ball down with the X Forged. Well, that concern is gone. I can't flight them quite as low, but windy days will be absolutely no problem to say the least. Turf interaction is a little better with the X Forged over the MB if you are a digger. Ballflight in general is a shade higher, and a little stronger. These don't spin quite as much as the MB, so the ball flattens out a little better. Distance is about the same, with the X Forged being maybe 1/3 club longer. Obviously feel is subjective, but I find the X Forged to be very soft, and maybe just a little "crisper" than the MB, but I think this is probably just a result of the chrome plating, rather than the satin finish. Mine came in exactly 1.5 degrees more upright than I had ordered, and all lofts were exactly 1 degree weak of standard. I adjusted them after the round, and look forward to seeing how they play spec'd out just like my old trusty MB's. I will report back after another round, as I expect to see some improvement now that my specs are exactly as I'm used to.

PING G430 LST 9*, Ventus Black TR 7X
PING G425 14.5*, Ventus Blue 8X
PING iCrossover 18*, Ping Tour 85X
PING i230 4-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 60
Ping PLD

[quote name='bradkv' timestamp='1359378559' post='6313471']
I played my first round with mine (X100) yesterday, and have been playing the MB's on and off for about the last 3 years. I've switched to other clubs, but always find myself coming back to the MB's for their feel and consistency. My biggest concern was the ability to flight the ball down with the X Forged. Well, that concern is gone. I can't flight them quite as low, but windy days will be absolutely no problem to say the least. Turf interaction is a little better with the X Forged over the MB if you are a digger. Ballflight in general is a shade higher, and a little stronger. These don't spin quite as much as the MB, so the ball flattens out a little better. Distance is about the same, with the X Forged being maybe 1/3 club longer. Obviously feel is subjective, but I find the X Forged to be very soft, and maybe just a little "crisper" than the MB, but I think this is probably just a result of the chrome plating, rather than the satin finish. Mine came in exactly 1.5 degrees more upright than I had ordered, and all lofts were exactly 1 degree weak of standard. I adjusted them after the round, and look forward to seeing how they play spec'd out just like my old trusty MB's. I will report back after another round, as I expect to see some improvement now that my specs are exactly as I'm used to.
[/quote]
[color=#222222]Been experimenting with the MB's, WOW those are great irons!!! Never tried a cally irons. Ive had mizunos, I know im going to get crucified, but to me, in IMOP, the MB are every bit as soft.[/color]
[color=#222222]Excited to try to x forged[/color]
[color=#222222]Thanks to everyone for posting their trails with the clubs.[/color]

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN