2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

UPDATED VIDEO & PICS: Nike Covert Drivers, Woods & Irons

HipCheck

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a chance to hit the performance head today and I agree with the others...its a low spinning head with great sound.

Hit the performance head (10.5* neutral setting) with the stock Kuro Kage black and i was getting spin in the high 2000s with 12-13* launch. Also hit the RFX (10.5 with S setting) with the stock Aldila shaft and I had better spin numbers with the performance (RFX was in the low 3000s).

They both feel solid but I liked how the red looks. Was hoping to hit the Tour head but for some reason they only had the Tour head in leftys?

anyways, bottom line is there is a lot of good drivers out there this year and I can't wait to start taking them on the course for some real testing

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1358882608' post='6277585']
None of the shops in my area have these yet. I cannot wait to see them in person.
[/quote]

I dont think you'll be disappointed. I was surprised how good they looked when I saw them up close.

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Titleist Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1358882700' post='6277595']
None of the shops in my area have these yet. I cannot wait to see them in person.
[/quote]

I dont think you'll be disappointed. I was surprised how good they looked when I saw them up close.
[/quote][quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1358882700' post='6277595']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with you. I think the placement of the swoosh logo is really cool looking and unique. My R1 will look like a ugly duckling next to it....

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1358883135' post='6277647']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree with you. I think the placement of the swoosh logo is really cool looking and unique. My R1 will look like a ugly duckling next to it....
[/quote]

Agreed. The red looks good and the swoosh wasnt really a bother to me. The Tour head would look great with an ATTAS T2...a black/red combo would look mean! But the Tour head is too much to handle lol. What setup are you looking to get?

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Titleist Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 60*

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1358883321' post='6277661']
[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1358883135' post='6277647']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed. The red looks good and the swoosh wasnt really a bother to me. The Tour head would look great with an ATTAS T2...a black/red combo would look mean! But the Tour head is too much to handle lol. What setup are you looking to get?
[/quote]

I preordered a Tour with the stock shaft. I'm not sure which shaft ill end up putting in there though. Lots of experimenting will have to be done. Did you order one?

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1358883438' post='6277671']

I preordered a Tour with the stock shaft. I'm not sure which shaft ill end up putting in there though. Lots of experimenting will have to be done. Did you order one?
[/quote]

Not yet. Will probably end up ordering a Covert Performance with a VTS Silver 7x butt trimmed to 44" and hopefully swing weighted to D3/D4. I hit the Kuro Kage stock and it was actually pretty good. I might hit it some more this weekend to see if I can save some money by going with the Kuro Kage stock shaft but in a higher weight.

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Titleist Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 60*

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1358883691' post='6277697']

[/quote]

Not yet. Will probably end up ordering a Covert Performance with a VTS Silver 7x butt trimmed to 44" and hopefully swing weighted to D3/D4. I hit the Kuro Kage stock and it was actually pretty good. I might hit it some more this weekend to see if I can save some money by going with the Kuro Kage stock shaft but in a higher weight.
[/quote]

Gotcha, that sounds like a good setup. GS state they will have them in stock by the end of this week so I will swing by there again. I hope the fwy and hybrids look good too!

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1358883944' post='6277717']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Gotcha, that sounds like a good setup. GS state they will have them in stock by the end of this week so I will swing by there again. I hope the fwy and hybrids look good too!
[/quote]

I didnt see the fairways and hybrids, but from the pics shown, they look like a winner as well. I ordered a RFE fairway, if that doesnt work out, I'll probably send it back with the 30 day playability guarantee and order a Covert fairway.

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Titleist Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 60*

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1358884300' post='6277775']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I didnt see the fairways and hybrids, but from the pics shown, they look like a winner as well. I ordered a RFE fairway, if that doesnt work out, I'll probably send it back with the 30 day playability guarantee and order a Covert fairway.
[/quote]

The RFE will be a nice fwy too I'm sure. I just love this loft adjustability that the Nikes give you.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1358885084' post='6277863']
[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1358884300' post='6277775']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The RFE will be a nice fwy too I'm sure. I just love this loft adjustability that the Nikes give you.
[/quote]

If its an improvement over last years Razr Fit, then it will be a definite keeper. I hit some at my local GG and bought the deal of a RF driver and get a free fairway, but then I realized it was only about 1 month and a half before all the new stuff was coming out so I returned it and waited. Hopefully no snow this weekend and I can get a round or two in with the RFE 3 wood.

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Titleist Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Hit the Covert Performance today with the KK 60S. Dare I say, it feels better than my VR Tour driver. Unfortunately, I was hitting into a net without a launch monitor of any kind.
Feel: A
Sound: A
Probably the combo I'm going to order. Waiting until I hit the Tour driver again before the final decision is made.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

Got my fitting bag in the shop late yesterday. Here's a run down of what is in it for those wondering. 4 driver heads (performance and tour in both right and left handed), All of the stock shafts: red in A, R, and S flex and black in R, S, and X flex. Upgraded shaft options were the ATS, Fujikura Fuel (I think it was), and the Matrix Black Tie (all upgraded shafts in S). It also came with iron heads in right and left handed (2f, 2up, and std) with an assortment of shafts in both graphite and steel. Also has the standard fitting stuff like lie board, clip board, impact tape, sole tape, and fitting manuals.

If anyone needs to come get fit for one in GA, just PM me.

After some tinkering - after all, I felt it was my duty to test the new bad boys ;) - I am hitting the tour head at 10.5 neutral with the black tie. Love the combo so far. No ballooning into the wind, great carry, and SUPER forgiving. I could feel my mishits, but the people watching me couldn't tell when I missed them. As for feel and sound, it reminds me of a softer 910 Titleist driver. Another pro that hit it described it as feeling like the face was made of graphite lol. I was worried about the sound but it was music to my ears on the first swing.

[quote name='cartwright' timestamp='1359006244' post='6287245']
Got my fitting bag in the shop late yesterday. Here's a run down of what is in it for those wondering. 4 driver heads (performance and tour in both right and left handed), All of the stock shafts: red in A, R, and S flex and black in R, S, and X flex. Upgraded shaft options were the ATS, Fujikura Fuel (I think it was), and the Matrix Black Tie (all upgraded shafts in S). It also came with iron heads in right and left handed (2f, 2up, and std) with an assortment of shafts in both graphite and steel. Also has the standard fitting stuff like lie board, clip board, impact tape, sole tape, and fitting manuals.

After some tinkering - after all, I felt it was my duty to test the new bad boys ;) - I am hitting the tour head at 10.5 neutral with the black tie. Love the combo so far. No ballooning into the wind, great carry, and SUPER forgiving. I could feel my mishits, but the people watching me couldn't tell when I missed them. As for feel and sound, it reminds me of a softer 910 Titleist driver. Another pro that hit it described it as feeling like the face was made of graphite lol. I was worried about the sound but it was music to my ears on the first swing.
[/quote]

Great info. Is the 910 your current gamer? Will this replace that driver in your bag?

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1359037175' post='6288307']

[/quote]

Great info. Is the 910 your current gamer? Will this replace that driver in your bag?
[/quote]

I'm on Nike staff so I'm playing the VR Pro Ltd, but before that I did game the 910.

[quote name='cartwright' timestamp='1359047547' post='6289523']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm on Nike staff so I'm playing the VR Pro Ltd, but before that I did game the 910.
[/quote]

Is the covert tour good enough to knock out your LTD?

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1359048479' post='6289637']
[quote name='cartwright' timestamp='1359047547' post='6289523']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Is the covert tour good enough to knock out your LTD?
[/quote]

I've got about 27 holes in with it but I do believe so... I hit a couple drives into the wind today that didn't balloon one bit. I also went from a 9.5 to a 10.5.

Any word on release dates for those wedges!? I need them in the bag now...hopefully its not the 4/1 date that I heard. :russian_roulette:

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Titleist Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 60*

^^^^Been told both 4/1 and 5/1...not looking any sooner

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1359126147' post='6295541']
[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

*shakes fist at sky, starts to rain

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Titleist Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Hit the Tour and Performance along with my Vr Tour on the range yesterday. Vr Tour has UST V2 75X, Tour had the Fujikura Fuel, and Performance the Ust VTS. I have to say, i really liked the feel of the Fuel. Soundwise, I don't think anything can beat the hotmelted Vr Tour, but these came close. Nice muted sound, and it was coooold, so the range balls were like hitting rocks. I preferred the Tour outside more than the Performance. I was hitting the Tour way to low on the indoor Trackman, but once i got it outside, I was able to see the ballflight. Right at the top of the trees with 10.5 Right setting. My Vr Tour is 9.5 measured at 8.75, and it still was a higher ballflight than the Tour, I could tell the ball was coming off with low spin on all the drivers, but who can really tell when it is 38 degrees outside. Right now, I can't say either one was better than my Vr Tour, but, I'll still get the Tour anyway.

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1359126464' post='6295593']
[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1359126147' post='6295541']
[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

*shakes fist at sky, starts to rain
[/quote]

That's not good news at all. Why April when everyone else is releasing their new clubs in feb/march?