2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

It's official: USGA, R&A propose anchor ban

zakkozuchowski

Does anyone know why the [i]Rules of Golf[/i] are only published every four years?

I don't know if I completely agree with the ban, but if it's going to happen, I would much rather see it implemented sooner rather than later. Giving these guys until 2016 to change to a conventional putter makes them more vulnerable to heckling and criticism. I would rather see ban at the beginning of 2014 so that they still have a comfortable time period to adjust, but three more full years seems too long.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='BenSnead' timestamp='1355429402' post='6063891']
I agree but I also think they mange to really believe that forcing in exactly what they want is the same thing as acting in the best interest of the game.
[/quote]

In almost 45 years of life, I've YET to meet an authoritarian who DIDN'T think he was acting in the best interests of the very thing or person whose autonomy he was in the middle of trampling.

It's all part of the character defenses that go along with the personality type: [i][b]I know best...do what I say. [/b][/i]

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1355429425' post='6063897']
[quote name='BenSnead' timestamp='1355428839' post='6063841']
[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1355422016' post='6063141']tryin" to figger out how to non-anchor this broomstick of mine.....
[/quote]

Experiment with face on. I'm getting an awesome conistent straight stroke but still struggling with how to line up.
[/quote]
Kidding, there. I use a 32" putter that I intend to use with my forearms against my body. I really like how it feels. I've tried face on or side saddle and I must say that as a righty, it works much better left handed for some reason. But, I don't think even I like the look of the set up, so I probably won't seriously work it into my game.
Try setting up with the ball ahead of and just outside the lead foot.
[/quote]
Yeah, that's the stance I'm using. What I meant was seeing and aligning to the target line. Right now I'm lining up the putter head from behind and stepping up and trying to trust that. I have a feeling I won't trust it on a pressure 4 footer.

[quote name='BenSnead' timestamp='1355432006' post='6064125']
[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1355429425' post='6063897']
[quote name='BenSnead' timestamp='1355428839' post='6063841']
[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1355422016' post='6063141']tryin" to figger out how to non-anchor this broomstick of mine.....
[/quote]

Experiment with face on. I'm getting an awesome conistent straight stroke but still struggling with how to line up.
[/quote]
Kidding, there. I use a 32" putter that I intend to use with my forearms against my body. I really like how it feels. I've tried face on or side saddle and I must say that as a righty, it works much better left handed for some reason. But, I don't think even I like the look of the set up, so I probably won't seriously work it into my game.
Try setting up with the ball ahead of and just outside the lead foot.
[/quote]
Yeah, that's the stance I'm using. What I meant was seeing and aligning to the target line. Right now I'm lining up the putter head from behind and stepping up and trying to trust that. I have a feeling I won't trust it on a pressure 4 footer.
[/quote]
Yeah, that seems about right. Try it with a shorter putter, if your back won't be affected. Seems to provide more control than a belly putter.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

[quote name='Dire Wolf' timestamp='1355444225' post='6065181']
Oh for $@#s sake get over it.
[/quote]

you know, that's almost exactly what people said about anchoring before the proposed ban... but for some reason the whiners persisted. If you think that people are going to accept this that fast, you're in for several miserable years.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1355445037' post='6065235']
[/quote]

you know, that's almost exactly what people said about anchoring before the proposed ban... but for some reason the whiners persisted. If you think that people are going to accept this that fast, you're in for several miserable years.
[/quote]

It's not my problem and as I said before I don't care either way.

What are they going to do about it, other than b**** constantly and whip themselves into a frothy fury? They're the ones acting like they've had their entire lives bulldozed by some invading horde. It's out of proportion to the issue and the complaints are borderline paranoid mania. They've got their fingers in their ears and they're stomping their feet and screaming because mean old USGA took away their toy.

Get. Over. It.

[quote name='Dire Wolf' timestamp='1355447557' post='6065415']
[/quote]

[/quote]

What are they going to do about it, other than b**** constantly and whip themselves into a frothy fury? They're the ones acting like they've had their entire lives bulldozed by some invading horde. It's out of proportion to the issue and the complaints are borderline paranoid mania. They've got their fingers in their ears and they're stomping their feet and screaming because mean old USGA took away their toy.

Get. Over. It.
[/quote]
Well, I'm sure glad you took the bull by the horns and settled this issue once and for all.......

[/quote]

I'm starting to think Dire Wolf has a short putter complex.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Cobra FlyZ+[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Sonartec 17* [/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Adams Idea Pro 20*/ 23* [/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Mizuno 5-PW MP-64[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Vokey Oil Can 52*-56*-60*[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Odyssey Metal X DART[/size][/font]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Get. Over. It.
[/quote]
I'm not disagreeing necessarily, yet you very accurately described the "anti" belly putter voice for the last few years. I think that was the point. Sometimes rusty hinges get their oil. Sometimes they don't.

For someone who doesn't care either way, you seem to be doing an awful lot of posting, swearing behind ampersands too. Very uncaring...

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1355450295' post='6065703']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Get. Over. It.
[/quote]
I'm not disagreeing necessarily, yet you very accurately described the "anti" belly putter voice for the last few years. I think that was the point. Sometimes rusty hinges get their oil. Sometimes they don't.

For someone who doesn't care either way, you seem to be doing an awful lot of posting, swearing behind ampersands too. Very uncaring...
[/quote]

I've already talked about what I'm interested in about this and what I'm not. Feel free to read it.

The whining either way is still whining. I was not among those crusading against anchoring so I'm not sure why you or anyone else thinks I'm responsible for that, or that it changes what I'm saying. Is your answer that whining like babies is OK because some other anonymous person whined like a baby to you once?

Because that's not how golf works.

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1355449239' post='6065589']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Get. Over. It.
[/quote]
Well, I'm sure glad you took the bull by the horns and settled this issue once and for all.......
[/quote]

The issue is all but settled by the ruling bodies of golf. And once people accept that, and move on, it will be fully settled.

[quote name='Dire Wolf' timestamp='1355452527' post='6065931']I've already talked about what I'm interested in about this and what I'm not. Feel free to read it.

The whining either way is still whining. I was not among those crusading against anchoring so I'm not sure why you or anyone else thinks I'm responsible for that, or that it changes what I'm saying. Is your answer that whining like babies is OK because some other anonymous person whined like a baby to you once?

[/quote]

Well apparently it does. That's why we have 14-1b, duh.

You don't have to put yourself on a cross and claim persecution over it.

lol

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1355452943' post='6065985']
[quote name='Dire Wolf' timestamp='1355452527' post='6065931']I've already talked about what I'm interested in about this and what I'm not. Feel free to read it.

[/quote]

Well apparently it does. That's why we have 14-1b, duh.

You don't have to put yourself on a cross and claim persecution over it.

lol
[/quote]

You can stop putting words in my mouth any time now.

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1355416331' post='6062581']
Why do those in favour of the ban treat those against the ban with derision and an air of superior intelligence?
[/quote]
That's really funny. ;)

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

[quote name='spooky' timestamp='1355491421' post='6067367']
Why do those in favour of the ban treat those against the ban with derision and an air of superior intelligence?
[/quote]
That's really funny. ;)
[/quote]
He said derisively, nose aimed skyward.

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1355504744' post='6068421']
[/quote]
That's really funny. ;)
[/quote]
[/quote]
It was the 'air of superior intelligence' I was laughing at. I've not seen anyone in favour of the ban saying they have superior intelligence. Anyway, it was a light-hearted comment that I think went over your head.

Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

[quote name='spooky' timestamp='1355513380' post='6069051']
[/quote]
That's really funny. ;)
[/quote]
[/quote]
It was the 'air of superior intelligence' I was laughing at. I've not seen anyone in favour of the ban saying they have superior intelligence. Anyway, it was a light-hearted comment that [b]I think went over your head[/b].
[/quote]
It's all in the way you respond, I guess, that sets the tone. I got it, but It seems my humorous response back to you was not recieved in the light manner in which it was intended, either.

[quote name='nbg352' timestamp='1355514506' post='6069157']
[quote name='spooky' timestamp='1355513380' post='6069051']
[/quote]
That's really funny. ;)
[/quote]
[/quote]
It was the 'air of superior intelligence' I was laughing at. I've not seen anyone in favour of the ban saying they have superior intelligence. Anyway, it was a light-hearted comment that [b]I think went over your head[/b].
[/quote]
It's all in the way you respond, I guess, that sets the tone. I got it, but It seems my humorous response back to you was not recieved in the light manner in which it was intended, either.
[/quote]
Didn't see it. That's why I used a little ;).... Takes the guesswork out... ;)

Titleist Pro V1

• 1 month later...

Why don't they make changes that would improve the enjoyment of the game for the 99.99% who aren't touring professionals, like making a round of gold 14 holes instead of 18, and making the hole 6" instead of 4+"? Sorry. Just think this belly putter thing is a silly rule change. If it was inherently easier to putt this way, 100% of golfers would be doing it, instead of less than 10%.

[quote name='dblbogey' timestamp='1358733581' post='6267693']
Why don't they make changes that would improve the enjoyment of the game for the 99.99% who aren't touring professionals, like making a round of gold 14 holes instead of 18, and making the hole 6" instead of 4+"? Sorry. Just think this belly putter thing is a silly rule change. If it was inherently easier to putt this way, 100% of golfers would be doing it, instead of less than 10%.
[/quote]

Not a thread that needed to be resurrected...

Did i just read a pro-anchor opinion lamenting the fact that the rule the USGA changed wasn't making a round of golf 14 holes instead of 18? Or making the hole big enough for my overweight beagle to climb in?

:WTF:

Any self respecting anchorer will chime in with their hue and cry of "Arbitrary!" any second now.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I played 9 holes yesterday. 12 holes today. (Time was an issue)
I think people are allowed to play as many as they want.

Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW, Mizuno JPX 50*,
Mizuno MPT-11 54*, Vokey SM4 60/10,
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2

[quote name='monkeynaut' timestamp='1358744238' post='6268663']
I played 9 holes yesterday. 12 holes today. (Time was an issue)
I think people are allowed to play as many as they want.
[/quote]

Bet it felt good to get those 120-140 strokes in during the winter.

OOOOOOH Yes! yes he did!

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1358733989' post='6267735']
[quote name='dblbogey' timestamp='1358733581' post='6267693']
[/quote]

Not a thread that needed to be resurrected...
[/quote]

Exactly, we have beat this horse to death.

PING K15, 10.5*
PING K15, 5w
PING K15, 4 hybrid
PING Gmax, 5-SW
PING G20, LW (bent to 60*)
PING Nome

• 5 weeks later...

It's about time, it's a shame that they had to make the rule at all. The long putters are marginal, the belly putters aren't golf as far as I'm concerned, just a generation obsessed with technology and working the rules as much as possible.

I would be fine if they let seniors use the long putter, anchored or not.

[quote name='Wknd_Warrior' timestamp='1361300152' post='6459187']
It's about time, it's a shame that they had to make the rule at all. The long putters are marginal, the belly putters aren't golf as far as I'm concerned, just a generation obsessed with technology and working the rules as much as possible.

I would be fine if they let seniors use the long putter, anchored or not.
[/quote]

Hi, and welcome to 3 months ago!