Okay, what local course would you love to play, but don't have access to...

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='wedgetoafoot' timestamp='1167887711' post='384013']
I would love to play Chicago GC, Butler National, Olympia Fields, Shoreacres, Rich Harvest, Conway Farms...ok that's a long list, I'll stop now.
[/quote]

I'd add Bob O' Link and Black Sheep to your list.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='OnFire' timestamp='1306126876' post='3255252']
[quote name='rlheiman' timestamp='1264879406' post='2214640']
[quote name='rlheiman' date='15 June 2007 - 09:02 AM' timestamp='1181919732' post='600344']
[quote name='nikeboy16' post='394474' date='Jan 11 2007, 04:21 PM']MN- Hazeltine, Interlachen, Spring Hill, I caddy at Windsong so i can play there on Mondays[/quote]

MN-Same as above, and since I don't caddy at Windsong, that is also on my list.

Outside of MN, I really want to get on at Sand Hills and Dismal River in NE. I have a buddy who lives out there, but no access to those 2 courses.
[/quote]

I better add WBYC. I keep hearing about how amazing this course is, but every time it seems like I'm going to get to play it, something falls through.

Someday, Someday?
[/quote]
Just saw your post. I've played White Bear on numerous occasions and it is one of my all time favorites.
[/quote]

Yes, that is what I hear all the time, WBYC is an awesome Ross design. I've only got a few more public courses to play in the Twin Cities, I've traveled all around the metro and played most, so i guess it might be time to start trying the privates, although that might be tough without many connections.

Sand Hills and Dismal River are still on my list too, but last summer I got the treat of playing Prairie Club close by and Sutton Bay in SD. Those are close by and really great to play. Maybe soon NE will see me again.

There's a Seth Raynor designed course I have to drive by EVERY DAMNED DAY on my way to work. Dedham Country & Polo Club.
It's private, but there are a couple of public roads that are adjacent to a few holes. I enjoy driving by and looking at the impeccably kept grounds.
Previously, I'd drive by Wellesley Country Club as well, it would be a real treat to play there.

[quote name='mozgolf' timestamp='1306150288' post='3255424']
Nearest dreamy course to us here in Mozambique is Leopard Creek in South Africa- Members, invitation or a guest of a few very top $$$ lodges in the area.

So in the absence of knowing any members, its $300 green fee and about the same again in one of the aforementioned ritzy lodges! $600 for a round in Africa is just a bit steep!!!
[/quote]

That's pretty steep for a round anywhere . . .

[quote name='rlheiman' timestamp='1306156399' post='3255595']

Yes, that is what I hear all the time, WBYC is an awesome Ross design. I've only got a few more public courses to play in the Twin Cities, I've traveled all around the metro and played most, so i guess it might be time to start trying the privates, although that might be tough without many connections.

Sand Hills and Dismal River are still on my list too, but last summer I got the treat of playing Prairie Club close by and Sutton Bay in SD. Those are close by and really great to play. Maybe soon NE will see me again.
[/quote]
Yeah, on two of the holes if you play from the tips you actually hit over cars (the street/HWY escapes me at the moment). It's just such a beautiful layout. From the website:

[quote][b]The Donald Ross designed golf course is one of the most interesting in the State. Renowned golf course architect Tom Doak, an expert on classic golf design, said that it has some of the best Donald Ross holes he had ever seen. Not a small statement as Ross is credited with either full or partial design of 22 courses in the most recent listing of the “Top 100 Classical Golf Courses.” The variations in lie, green undulations and raw beauty of the course make it one of those special layouts that the members never tire of playing.

The course maintenance crew is known as one of the best in the Twin Cities and always has the course in the best possible condition.

And, of course, the “no tee time” policy is something special in today’s golf crazy atmosphere. The club protects the right of the membership to have the ability to be spontaneous in when they play. By keeping membership small, there is almost never more than a few minutes wait when teeing off. While other clubs may require tee times be made days in advance and give no guarantee that you will get close to the desired time, White Bear Yacht Club offers the freedom to fit a round of golf into your schedule as it is convenient.

[/b][/quote]

http://www.wbyc.com/golfing.html

Looking back on it now, I realize how blessed I was to play there and any chance in the future I will jump on it.

Have you ever tried Keller? That is right there next to WBYC as one of my all time favorites, and the fees are literally cheap and the course has even held a major.

not real exciting but a 75000 to get in country club that i have had the privilege to play on once and it was fantastic

Ping G430 LST 9 Project X HZRDUS Red RDX 6X

Ping G430 LST 15@14 Project X HZRDUS Black Gen 4 7X

Ping G430 3H Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 85X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW Orange Dot Dynamic Gold X100

Ping S159 50, 56, 60 X100 in 50, 56, S400 in 60

SeeMore SBC20 46" Broomstick

I live right outside DC. To paraphrase Mother Jones: steal a car and you go to jail; steal a car company and you get to play Congressional.

Although the area course that I really want to play is Burning Tree. Alister MacKenzie design, no pools, no tennis courts, no fancy dining areas. Nothing pretentious. Just golf.

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1306154518' post='3255526']
I would love to play Chicago GC, Butler National, Olympia Fields, Shoreacres, Rich Harvest, Conway Farms...ok that's a long list, I'll stop now.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I've played Butler National, Black Sheep, and the newly redesigned Butterfield CC... all amazing courses. Would be awesome to get on those others though!

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

I play with a friend who use to work at Pine Valley and now works at Boca West. I get to play there for free with him and we usually fill out a 4 some and have some nice skins games. It was one of the courses I wanted to play but was not possible. They have 4 amazingly well kept courses and greens that can roll 11+ after verticut and rolling.

Now on my list is Seminole Golf Club just north in Palm Beach. Anyone here want to hook me up :)

[quote name='cwglum' timestamp='1306154514' post='3255525']
The Dunes golf course in New Buffalo Michigan. Not "Lost Dunes" but The Dunes. It's a 9-holer with very exclusive membership ... less than 100 members from what I've heard. Hole locations get changed for your 2nd time around, can play from 6,200 to 6,800 depending on which set of tees you pick from.
[/quote]

Is that the course that Mike Keiser the owner of Bandon Dunes built before Bandon Dunes? They talk quite a bit about that one in Dream Golf the book about the building of Bandon. Sounds like a pretty cool place

Sedgefield Country Club. Played it plenty of times when I was in the business, but can't get on anymore since its private. AWESOME Donald Ross design.

M1 440 8.5 Project X Hzrdus Black
SLDR Mini 12 long neck black tie 80
x2 Hot 5 Deep 82x Diamana D+
Titleist 714 AP2 KBS Tour X
ATV Tour issue 54/58
XFT 50
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 1 Arm Lock

[quote name='Tbone1976' timestamp='1306151437' post='3255447']
Living in Pinehurst now I have played all the ones I want here in town, but I was born and raised in NE Ohio. I was fortunate to play Murfield Village while in high school (it played host to an invitational tournament each year for us). Having said that, being 34 now, I would love another crack at that golf course, and Scioto would also be on the list. Here in NC, I would love to play some of the newer courses in The Cliffs Communities. Cliffs Walnut Cove, Cliffs Keowee Falls. Even Tiger at one point had plans to build his first course within The Cliffs Communities, but I think that is on the back burner now.

I have been out of NE Ohio for a 13+ years, and when I visit, I can not believe the number of high quality public (daily fee) courses that have opened up. Impressive!
[/quote]
I used to work at Keowee Vineyards and the Cliffs are one heck of a collection of golf courses. My favorite was Cliffs at Glassy, that place could have been a State Park with all of the beautiful vistas on that course.

M1 440 8.5 Project X Hzrdus Black
SLDR Mini 12 long neck black tie 80
x2 Hot 5 Deep 82x Diamana D+
Titleist 714 AP2 KBS Tour X
ATV Tour issue 54/58
XFT 50
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 1 Arm Lock

[quote name='cpeck12' timestamp='1306260462' post='3258784']
[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1306154518' post='3255526']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I've played Butler National, Black Sheep, and the newly redesigned Butterfield CC... all amazing courses. Would be awesome to get on those others though!
[/quote]

Wow...I hear nothing but awesome things about Black Sheep. How was it?

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[b][color="#006400"]I live right outside Augusta and have been fortumate enough to play the National twice (although I'd definitely play again). So I would love to play Sage Valley (10 minutes from my house) and I'd drive to Atlanta anytime for the Athletic Club, Sugarloaf and East Lake...[/color][/b]

G430 Max 10K

G430 LST 3 wood

G425 7 wood

Blueprint S 4-W

S159 50, 54, 60

PLD Anser

Chrome Tour X

[quote name='jngolf' timestamp='1306294692' post='3260529']
[b][color="#006400"]I live right outside Augusta and have been fortumate enough to play the National twice (although I'd definitely play again). So I would love to play Sage Valley (10 minutes from my house) and I'd drive to Atlanta anytime for the Athletic Club, Sugarloaf and East Lake...[/color][/b]
[/quote]
So what's it like? Gotta know a member (I suspect)? What's the clubhouse like? Can you see the "Champions Locker Room"? Is it caddies only or do they have carts as well? Gotta get a tee time a year in advance?

Do tell. :)

[quote name='OnFire' timestamp='1306295148' post='3260557']So what's it like? Gotta know a member (I suspect)? What's the clubhouse like? Can you see the "Champions Locker Room"? Is it caddies only or do they have carts as well? Gotta get a tee time a year in advance?

[/quote]

[b][color="#006400"]I worked at a TV station in Augusta for 7 years and was able to play twice on media day in late May (2002 & 2004). I covered 6 Masters and got to play on 2 media days, so a 33% playing privilege was pretty good. Some people get to play every year on media day.

I got a letter in my personal mailbox signed by Hootie Johnson (Chairman those years) inviting me to play media day. 3 tickets cam with the letter: one to get on the grounds, one for a lunch buffet, and the other to give to the starter. You have a set tee time (mine both years was around 3-3:30pm) and you get one bag of range balls (you can pay $3 per bag for more) and are allowed to play the par 3 course as many times as you like. The clubhouse was wide open and I was able to go into the Champion's Locker Room and Crow's Nest (My first year I watched Price is Right in the Crow's Nest pre-round). You use carts for the main course and walk the par 3 course. You are allowed to drive the carts everywhere except on the green (you can park it on the fringe). I have almost 200 pictures from both years and took a video camera my second year. I have my birdie on #12 on video... It was the only birdie I made in 2 rounds there.[/color][/b]

G430 Max 10K

G430 LST 3 wood

G425 7 wood

Blueprint S 4-W

S159 50, 54, 60

PLD Anser

Chrome Tour X

[quote name='jngolf' timestamp='1306295599' post='3260581']
[quote name='OnFire' timestamp='1306295148' post='3260557']So what's it like? Gotta know a member (I suspect)? What's the clubhouse like? Can you see the "Champions Locker Room"? Is it caddies only or do they have carts as well? Gotta get a tee time a year in advance?

[/quote]

[b][color="#006400"]I worked at a TV station in Augusta for 7 years and was able to play twice on media day in late May (2002 & 2004). I covered 6 Masters and got to play on 2 media days, so a 33% playing privilege was pretty good. Some people get to play every year on media day.

I got a letter in my personal mailbox signed by Hootie Johnson (Chairman those years) inviting me to play media day. 3 tickets cam with the letter: one to get on the grounds, one for a lunch buffet, and the other to give to the starter. You have a set tee time (mine both years was around 3-3:30pm) and you get one bag of range balls (you can pay $3 per bag for more) and are allowed to play the par 3 course as many times as you like. The clubhouse was wide open and I was able to go into the Champion's Locker Room and Crow's Nest (My first year I watched Price is Right in the Crow's Nest pre-round). You use carts for the main course and walk the par 3 course. You are allowed to drive the carts everywhere except on the green (you can park it on the fringe). I have almost 200 pictures from both years and took a video camera my second year. I have my birdie on #12 on video... It was the only birdie I made in 2 rounds there.[/color][/b]
[/quote]
Very nice. Honestly, is it over-hyped, or is it realy as glorious as all us mere mortals really think it is? just the thought of playing the back is a dream for most of us because of all the legendary broadcasts for sure.

[quote name='OnFire' timestamp='1306295854' post='3260594']
Very nice. Honestly, is it over-hyped, or is it realy as glorious as all us mere mortals really think it is?
[/quote]

[b][color="#006400"]It was everything I ever dreamed of and more... Second greatest day of my life behind the birth of my daughter.[/color][/b]

G430 Max 10K

G430 LST 3 wood

G425 7 wood

Blueprint S 4-W

S159 50, 54, 60

PLD Anser

Chrome Tour X

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1306290244' post='3260277']
Wow...I hear nothing but awesome things about Black Sheep. How was it?
[/quote]

It was awesome, amazing course. Definitely a no nonsense place. It's all about golf there... just like it should be.

Hope to make it at least a once a year thing with my friend who's able to play there.

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport