2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Why do you hate JDM?

guisician

You know what...Not worth it. I'm done with this section of WRX....

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I apologize if your intention was different from the others who have populated this "Why Do You HATE JDM?" thread since the new year began. Perhaps it would be wise to start new threads if there are any of us left who do actually actually enjoy conversing in friendlier ways about JDM equipment...

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

I don't hate any equipment if it performs, and is reasonably affordable I will play it. The problem is at least where I live the JDM equipment does not fit into that reasonably affordable or readily available category. I can buy 2-3 sets of Titleist, TaylorMade or Cobra's for the price of one set of Miura's or Endo's. It is hard for me to think that the minute amount of additional performance gained due to the better manufacturing methods warrants the additonal cost. Just my thoughts.

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

You made in China guys need to put up or shut up.

If the info is there I would love to see it.

Probably easier though to act like kindergarten kids and " I'll block you"

Can't lose the argument then

TDM clubs, well every neuron in your brain must have fired simultaneously for you to come up with that

Seemingly every JDM user;

2388013466_2f024dfd06.jpg

I'm just going to block you......

guess that what happens when you get called out and can't produce,

so, thank you.

aaaannnnnnndd

back on topic, this is certainly the right thread for the haters. Excuse me now while
I go troll the usdm eq. threads and hate on everyone that plays them.

After doing some quick research, I have found that jnradioactive's entire schtick is jumping into threads and contributing nothing but a tongue-in-cheek remark or to argue with someone's previous post. I looked through 2 full pages of his posts and couldn't find anything of substance or value. It isn't just JDM...he's an equal opportunity antagonist. It takes all types to make the [s]world[/s] forum go round. This time of year I guess any discussion is better than no discussion....

It not about JDM clubs - it's about the people. There is nothing to hate about a piece of metal, but plenty to hate about the BS that comes out of mouths.
If anyone is really naive enough to not realise where the hate stems from, they really ought to read through the thread and they'll achieve the golfing version of zen.

Okay being a JDM driver ho that has tried a lot of the top brands.....here goes. I do not hate JDM equipment. It is very well made and has a unique quality to it. If you are gaming a Crazy driver and shaft combo you can bet that you will be the only one in your group or local club. Most people that i play with looked at my JDM gear like it was second rate Walmart clubs. until they looked closely at the quality. My biggest regret was drinking the kool aid in terms of forgiveness and distance. The guys on the tour spec forum are silly dedicated to their gear. Thats great but there seems to be a resistance to admitting that a US product may go as far and have a nice feel as well. I spent about 8 months gaming all of the so called distance champs that was superior to any US product. MY FAULT! I drank the kool aid. BUT when I shared my experience it was met with mostly silence. At the end of the day I had lost several thousand dollars buying and flipping as I chased this (mostly distance) promise from users on this site. AGAIN my fault. I lost this money buying used JDM gear. If I would have purchased all these drivers new then my wife may have went back home to Mom. :-) Not really but it would have been in the 5 to 7 thousand dollar range. Many of the combos that I tried were $1500 combos at their new price. In the end I had a moment of clarity. I asked myself if I had gained 1 yard over my best US driver, had my score dropped due to great accuracy and forgiveness?? The answer was NO! My longest driver ever was a Ping i15 with an Oban Kiyoshi shaft, terrible forgiveness but when you hit it right it was long. My stock Razr hawk RIP shaft tour was also as long as the i15. The JDM is great in terms of quality and feel but for me it did not meet my needs which was a longer driver that was more accurate than any US made club. For me it was an absolute bust. I guess I dont understand the Putter prices either. In the end does it feel better and sink more putts than a $100 Odyssey? I think I have my answer. Of course I finally noticed some of the tour spec guys have cars that cost more than my home as well. Good for them but it clearly showed me that I was swimming in the deep end of the pool.

I believe there is a cutural clash and communicational diversity when discussing JSpec equipment, I have played many of the JDM brands and the attention to detail is really very nice. When I spend time on TourSpec I show respect and try to understand the reasons behind the passionate following and usually do bridge the gap, it's interesting and just another part of "golf" to me...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

[quote name='jaskanski' timestamp='1358972583' post='6284081']
It not about JDM clubs - it's about the people. There is nothing to hate about a piece of metal, but plenty to hate about the BS that comes out of mouths.
If anyone is really naive enough to not realise where the hate stems from, they really ought to read through the thread and they'll achieve the golfing version of zen.
[/quote]

Classic chicken before the egg premise.

JDM aficionados weren't indignant and defensive about their preferred equipment until the board was full of those who poke the hornets nest for the thrill of pissing them off.

Go to any anti TM thread and you'll see people acting the same way defending their choices to those who have disdain for their choice of product.

I honestly don't think most JDM'ers have a problem with people who opine that JDM isn't special enough to them to spend extra money to buy it. A lot of the anger you are referring to is a direct result of people who have no interest in JDM equipment purposely derailing threads.

[quote name='golfcaddy1969' timestamp='1358973346' post='6284155']
Okay being a JDM driver ho that has tried a lot of the top brands.....here goes. I do not hate JDM equipment. It is very well made and has a unique quality to it. If you are gaming a Crazy driver and shaft combo you can bet that you will be the only one in your group or local club. Most people that i play with looked at my JDM gear like it was second rate Walmart clubs. until they looked closely at the quality. My biggest regret was drinking the kool aid in terms of forgiveness and distance. The guys on the tour spec forum are silly dedicated to their gear. Thats great but there seems to be a resistance to admitting that a US product may go as far and have a nice feel as well. I spent about 8 months gaming all of the so called distance champs that was superior to any US product. MY FAULT! I drank the kool aid. BUT when I shared my experience it was met with mostly silence. At the end of the day I had lost several thousand dollars buying and flipping as I chased this (mostly distance) promise from users on this site. AGAIN my fault. I lost this money buying used JDM gear. If I would have purchased all these drivers new then my wife may have went back home to Mom. :-) Not really but it would have been in the 5 to 7 thousand dollar range. Many of the combos that I tried were $1500 combos at their new price. In the end I had a moment of clarity. I asked myself if I had gained 1 yard over my best US driver, had my score dropped due to great accuracy and forgiveness?? The answer was NO! My longest driver ever was a Ping i15 with an Oban Kiyoshi shaft, terrible forgiveness but when you hit it right it was long. My stock Razr hawk RIP shaft tour was also as long as the i15. The JDM is great in terms of quality and feel but for me it did not meet my needs which was a longer driver that was more accurate than any US made club. For me it was an absolute bust. I guess I dont understand the Putter prices either. In the end does it feel better and sink more putts than a $100 Odyssey? I think I have my answer. Of course I finally noticed some of the tour spec guys have cars that cost more than my home as well. Good for them but it clearly showed me that I was swimming in the deep end of the pool.
[/quote]

Good post and sorry you didn't find "the grail"

Ill tell anyone upfront JDM should never be looked at as any kind of value proposition. Justifying spending that much on a projected performance increase is a bad idea. Driver tech is pretty well maxed out, it's just gonna boil to to individual preferences.

JDM does offer a lot more compact headed, soft, muted drivers which appeal to me but when everyone's maxed at .83 cor I don't think one driver is going to be much different on center strikes than another if you've got your loft and shaft optimized.

I got a Ryoma with crazy shaft and punted on it after I realized it wasn't better at anything for my swing than the Kamui KPX/Fubuki combo I picked up for barely more than a USDM off the rack driver. I got lucky finding a head that's compact, anti left by design and low spin and flat works for me. I could have easily been in your shoes.

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1358975569' post='6284383']
[quote name='golfcaddy1969' timestamp='1358973346' post='6284155']
[/quote]

Good post and sorry you didn't find "the grail"

Ill tell anyone upfront JDM should never be looked at as any kind of value proposition. Justifying spending that much on a projected performance increase is a bad idea. Driver tech is pretty well maxed out, it's just gonna boil to to individual preferences.

JDM does offer a lot more compact headed, soft, muted drivers which appeal to me but when everyone's maxed at .83 cor I don't think one driver is going to be much different on center strikes than another if you've got your loft and shaft optimized.

I got a Ryoma with crazy shaft and punted on it after I realized it wasn't better at anything for my swing than the Kamui KPX/Fubuki combo I picked up for barely more than a USDM off the rack driver. I got lucky finding a head that's compact, anti left by design and low spin and flat works for me. I could have easily been in your shoes.
[/quote]
yes you are 100% right. I was trying to justify the cost based on the performance. that was my fault all the way. It's kind of hard not to want to try a Ryoma Premia when you read their test findings. I was so excited to try that club that I did not sleep well until it arrived. My fault again as advertising is designed to do what it did on me...make me want to try that product to find out for myself. But in my defense there are many reviews praising the Ryoma as the best driver on the planet. So when my Ryoma/crazy 46 arrived it was a huge let down. Same thing with the Crazy 460,Kamui, Yonex. The product is top notch. great craftsmanship that some seek. For me it was all feel and mostly performance based. if you have the bread then go for it. it is unique and wonderful to look at. I just went into the entire process for the wrong reasons even though the chatter was about distance and accuracy.

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1358972307' post='6284065']
After doing some quick research, I have found that jnradioactive's entire schtick is jumping into threads and contributing nothing but a tongue-in-cheek remark or to argue with someone's previous post. I looked through 2 full pages of his posts and couldn't find anything of substance or value. It isn't just JDM...he's an equal opportunity antagonist. It takes all types to make the [s]world[/s] forum go round. This time of year I guess any discussion is better than no discussion....
[/quote]
What is your schtick. Anyone who actually comes on a golf forum and says....." idrive has been more places and has seen more things and has owned more things than 99.99% of all the soles alive on our planit ever will. He is the last person to suggest doesn't get out enough. I can only dream about the way he lives his life" .....as you did,should not be saying anything about other peoples comments.

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1358978269' post='6284611']
[/quote]
What is your schtick. Anyone who actually comes on a golf forum and says....." idrive has been more places and has seen more things and has owned more things than 99.99% of all the soles alive on our planit ever will. He is the last person to suggest doesn't get out enough. I can only dream about the way he lives his life" .....as you did,should not be saying anything about other peoples comments.
[/quote]

Someone suggested he needs to get out a little. I thought it was funny because there is probably no one on this forum that "gets out" as much as idrive, whether you like him or not.

--20% of the world's population lives below the poverty line
--almost 80% lives on less than $10 a day,
~75% of Americans (one of richest countries in world) live paycheck to paycheck
--The 99% movement in the US to underscore the wealth inequality between the richest 1% and the other 99%

I think if you asked 100% of everyone alive if they would trade their current lifestyle for one of comfortable life of wealth, traveling to exotic locales, sport and leisure, playing world class golf resorts with world class clubs, etc., close to 99.99% would say yes. Not terribly far off anyways.

I enjoy my life. Can't complain at all. But if I had the opportunity to take off for Maui for a month in the winter time like what idrive is doing right now, you're damn right I'm taking it. Dude plays golf all year round and goes to some badass places...I have no shame in saying I dream of having that type of luxury someday.

My schtick has been discussing Japanese golf clubs in the Japanese golf club forum amongst those with fellow interests. Got a little fired up for a week or so but everyone has seemed to calm down for the most part.

This thread is a perfect example of what's wrong with the JDM crowd.

All JDM means is Japanese domestic market, and all I said is that the majority of golf equipment manufactured for the Japanese domestic market in a calendar year (note ALL, this is ALL the equipment manufactured for that market) is produced in China.

This is a fact. Labour costs in Japan are simply too high for them to produce the majority of the equipment themselves. Some of the high end equipment may be "forged" in Japan, but you'll pay a premium for Japanese manufacturing.

Yet I get berated with childish insults because I stated a FACT and blocked a member who consistently starts fights and insults those who do not share his view on JDM equipment rather than fight with him.

[/quote]

Sort like the schtick of a thread Named "Why do you hate JDM" and then all the JDM guys arguing when most (pretty much all) people say they don't hate JDM just the JDM users who go on and on and on about it and are insulted that everyone doesn't drop to their knees in the presence on the mighty JDM

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1358984696' post='6285267']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Someone suggested he needs to get out a little. I thought it was funny because there is probably no one on this forum that "gets out" as much as idrive, whether you like him or not.

--The 99% movement in the US to underscore the wealth inequality between the richest 1% and the other 99%

I think if you asked 100% of everyone alive if they would trade their current lifestyle for one of comfortable life of wealth, traveling to exotic locales, sport and leisure, playing world class golf resorts with world class clubs, etc., close to 99.99% would say yes. Not terribly far off anyways.

I enjoy my life. Can't complain at all. But if I had the opportunity to take off for Maui for a month in the winter time like what idrive is doing right now, you're damn right I'm taking it. Dude plays golf all year round and goes to some badass places...I have no shame in saying I dream of having that type of luxury someday.

My schtick has been discussing Japanese golf clubs in the Japanese golf club forum amongst those with fellow interests. Got a little fired up for a week or so but everyone has seemed to calm down for the most part.
[/quote]
You are so wrong. Ask 100% and 99% would not say yes. You are terribly far off. This is why you have such a hard time relating to such a high % of people.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1358987151' post='6285515']

All JDM means is Japanese domestic market, and all I said is that the majority of golf equipment manufactured for the Japanese domestic market in a calendar year (note ALL, this is ALL the equipment manufactured for that market) is produced in China.

This is a fact. Labour costs in Japan are simply too high for them to produce the majority of the equipment themselves. Some of the high end equipment may be "forged" in Japan, but you'll pay a premium for Japanese manufacturing.

Yet I get berated with childish insults because I stated a FACT and blocked a member who consistently starts fights and insults those who do not share his view on JDM equipment rather than fight with him.
[/quote]

I have no idea how much JDM is produced in China. It wouldn't surprise me if a majority of it is: I understand the economics of it. Most of the stuff made available to the US thru TSG is forged/produced in Japan and comes at a higher cost--consistent with your comments. If you note one of my earlier comments, I specifically said it isn't about where something is made, it is who makes it. At least to me.

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1358987349' post='6285533']
[/quote]

Sort like the schtick of a thread Named "Why do you hate JDM" and then all the JDM guys arguing when most (pretty much all) people say they don't hate JDM just the JDM users who go on and on and on about it and are insulted that everyone doesn't drop to their knees in the presence on the mighty JDM
[/quote]

There are as many smartass comments from JDM detractors (several from you alone!) than there are argumentative posts from people that enjoy JDM. Go on, count em. And I can't find a single reference to anyone looking for others to bow to JDM superiority. What has become abundantly clear from your posts is that you either don't actually read what others post, don't understand it, or are just pushing some prejudiced mindset. I am also strongly considering the possibility that you just aren't very smart.

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1358987990' post='6285575']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
You are so wrong. Ask 100% and 99% would not say yes. You are terribly far off. This is why you have such a hard time relating to such a high % of people.
[/quote]

So wrong? Lol. You have no idea, you're guessing even more than I am. An overwhelming percentage of the world's people would want more food, more travel, more money, more opportunities, more luxuries, more recreation, and more free time, if given the chance. The stats back that up. And it's just common sense. I also don't think the 5-6 JDM detractors who constantly disagree with me constitute "a high % of people." A select 2-3 of you can't even interpret what I write and argue my points even when I am in agreement.

[color=#800080]Why do peoples argue over things that are so damn pointless ? And why would they give a crap what others are not using ? And if nots the case, why argue just to argue ? I am glad i haves autism for this reason alone.[/color]

[color=#800080]This is like the silliness that i gots for not agree'ing abouts MP-64 irons. I haves seen terrible players using Japan things and MP-64s , etc , and i rather play well thans care what is in my bag. [/color]

[color=#800080]This probably will nots make much sense , but neither does the arguing going on here. I woulds think argue about body types over what your body is actually holding , maybe more sense. A sort of round ball , getting hit by steel shaped into a golf club , and peoples argue over whether it is JDM , USDM , WhoCaresDM , etc .[/color]

[color=#800080]Some of all golf clubs look nice , some look bad , some play well , some nots , all depends on person.[/color]

[color=#800080]If somebody gave me a snobbish attitude for having Japan clubs and me using American . I woulds tell them where their clubs should go.[/color]

[color=#800080]I have boughts 7 things from Japan golf stuffs. A Callaway Legacy Bear Head cover , since i love bears and six legacy black balls. They were all sold in a lot.[/color]

[color=#800080]I have no interest in Japan clubs if i cannots try them out. Plus pretty confident anything over there is matched by anything over here. Plus i really do nots care where my clubs are made as long as the ball goes towards the green or in the hole.[/color]

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1358991835' post='6285947']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1358987151' post='6285515']

[/quote]

I have no idea how much JDM is produced in China. It wouldn't surprise me if a majority of it is: I understand the economics of it. Most of the stuff made available to the US thru TSG is forged/produced in Japan and comes at a higher cost--consistent with your comments. If you note one of my earlier comments, I specifically said it isn't about where something is made, it is who makes it. At least to me.

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1358987349' post='6285533']
[/quote]

[/quote]

There are as many smartass comments from JDM detractors (several from you alone!) than there are argumentative posts from people that enjoy JDM. Go on, count em. And I can't find a single reference to anyone looking for others to bow to JDM superiority. What has become abundantly clear from your posts is that you either don't actually read what others post, don't understand it, or are just pushing some prejudiced mindset. I am also strongly considering the possibility that you just aren't very smart.

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1358987990' post='6285575']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

So wrong? Lol. You have no idea, you're guessing even more than I am. An overwhelming percentage of the world's people would want more food, more travel, more money, more opportunities, more luxuries, more recreation, and more free time, if given the chance. The stats back that up. And it's just common sense. I also don't think the 5-6 JDM detractors who constantly disagree with me constitute "a high % of people." A select 2-3 of you can't even interpret what I write and argue my points even when I am in agreement.
[/quote]
You say one thing and then come back to defend it saying something else. You quite clearly said 99% of people would trade thier lifestyle for someone elses. I say bull. I know some that would and i would say they are the type of folks that you would fit right in with. I wouldn't trade my life for your buddies and a million bucks. Doubt that you would understand.

Why do I dislike JDM? Because I can never afford any of it, and it has never performed well for me. Ive never liked a soft feeling driver, or a buttery iron. I like my clubs to have a little click to them. Ive also never been very impressed with the designs of some of the clubs. Some of the blades I have no idea how they got the idea for the muscle. I never thought there was anything wrong with a traditional blade, but aparntly they did. Simply put, its way overpriced, performs no better for me, and just isnt very apealing to me.

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

[quote name='Team Ping' timestamp='1358997241' post='6286469']
Why do I dislike JDM? Because I can never afford any of it, and it has never performed well for me. Ive never liked a soft feeling driver, or a buttery iron. I like my clubs to have a little click to them. Ive also never been very impressed with the designs of some of the clubs. Some of the blades I have no idea how they got the idea for the muscle. I never thought there was anything wrong with a traditional blade, but aparntly they did. Simply put, its way overpriced, performs no better for me, and just isnt very apealing to me.
[/quote]

How do you really feel? Lol

I can definitely see how (if you're a ping fan as your name implies) the would be a disconnect between most JDM stuff and Ping stuff. They're really opposite ends of the spectrum and embrace entirely different design philosophies. Look shape sound and feel all are polar opposites.

Makes sense because I have never really cared for the look sound shape and feel of Ping despite finding them incredibly playable and routinely getting stomped by older fellas in league that play ancient looking Pings. But I fell in love with JDM looks feel design and sound. I can't really see too many people loving both.

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1358997562' post='6286511']
Agree to disagree?

Try something new and talk about golf, golfers, golf courses, golf magazines, golf techniques, golf history, maybe even golf equipment. Save the generalizations, insults, and amateur psychoanalysis for family holidays.
[/quote]
What you dont seem to understand is that i will talk about what i please, and you have no say in it what so ever, even though you consider this to be your forum. Interesting how people seem to get along so much better on these topics before you jump in with your obsessive attitude.

[quote]Team Ping, on 23 January 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

How do you really feel? Lol

I can definitely see how (if you're a ping fan as your name implies) the would be a disconnect between most JDM stuff and Ping stuff. They're really opposite ends of the spectrum and embrace entirely different design philosophies. Look shape sound and feel all are polar opposites.

Makes sense because I have never really cared for the look sound shape and feel of Ping despite finding them incredibly playable and routinely getting stomped by older fellas in league that play ancient looking Pings. But I fell in love with JDM looks feel design and sound. I can't really see too many people loving both. [/quote]

Ive actually moved toward Titleist from Ping, but yeah, all those years I played Ping the difference in feel was just way too drastic. I do like the way Miuras look, but thats about the only one I can stomach

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W