2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Why do you hate JDM?

guisician

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1358998361' post='6286603']
[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1358997562' post='6286511']
Agree to disagree?

Try something new and talk about golf, golfers, golf courses, golf magazines, golf techniques, golf history, maybe even golf equipment. Save the generalizations, insults, and amateur psychoanalysis for family holidays.
[/quote]
What you dont seem to understand is that i will talk about what i please, and you have no say in it what so ever, even though you consider this to be your forum. Interesting how people seem to get along so much better on these topics before you jump in with your obsessive attitude.
[/quote]

Rich...Just rich...

I think you might find with a little searching that the common link between people not getting along in these threads is actually you and jnradioactive, and maybe a couple other posters.

[b]Fact:[/b]

You have almost no on-topic posts in this forum, and the few posts you do have are all argumentative and meant to cause debates. When you run out of any real discussion pieces, you resort to saying no "one cares" or name-calling or personally insulting. Derailment ensues as tempers flare.

I have lots of normal, on-topic posts in lots of calm threads in this exact forum. Same on TSG, the other forums on this board, etc. I try to provide insight on equipment I have tried, answer questions from those who are curious, post questions to those I would like info from, and generally try to be a productive member of the forum. Up until the latest influx of antagonists, that's ALL I have ever posted in here.

[b]Proven Theory:[/b]

You just openly insinuated you don't have much interest in actually talking golf in the JDM golf equipment forum and will speak about what you want. You back up this assertion by [i]never[/i] talking about golf.

[b]Current Theory, (pending final approval): [/b]

You are a contrarian by nature, but don't really have anything of substance to add to the discussions, so you read threads and pick out things to argue about. Your overall post history clearly bears this out.

[b]Final word:[/b]

You're obviously here to pick fights. I have surely provided you with a good many hours of priceless entertainment as I unwittingly played right into your hands. You have absolutely nothing of value or interest to bring to this forum, and I will honor you by being the first person on any forum I have ever even considered blocking. Congrats!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1359001860' post='6286987']
[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1358998361' post='6286603']
[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1358997562' post='6286511']
Agree to disagree?

Try something new and talk about golf, golfers, golf courses, golf magazines, golf techniques, golf history, maybe even golf equipment. Save the generalizations, insults, and amateur psychoanalysis for family holidays.
[/quote]
What you dont seem to understand is that i will talk about what i please, and you have no say in it what so ever, even though you consider this to be your forum. Interesting how people seem to get along so much better on these topics before you jump in with your obsessive attitude.
[/quote]

Rich...Just rich...

I think you might find with a little searching that the common link between people not getting along in these threads is actually you and jnradioactive, and maybe a couple other posters.

You have almost no on-topic posts in this forum, and the few posts you do have are all argumentative and meant to cause debates. When you run out of any real discussion pieces, you resort to saying no "one cares" or name-calling or personally insulting. Derailment ensues as tempers flare.

I have lots of normal, on-topic posts in lots of calm threads in this exact forum. Same on TSG, the other forums on this board, etc. I try to provide insight on equipment I have tried, answer questions from those who are curious, post questions to those I would like info from, and generally try to be a productive member of the forum. Up until the latest influx of antagonists, that's ALL I have ever posted in here.

[b]Proven Theory:[/b]

You just openly insinuated you don't have much interest in actually talking golf in the JDM golf equipment forum and will speak about what you want. You back up this assertion by [i]never[/i] talking about golf.

[b]Current Theory, (pending final approval): [/b]

You are a contrarian by nature, but don't really have anything of substance to add to the discussions, so you read threads and pick out things to argue about. Your overall post history clearly bears this out.

[b]Final word:[/b]

You're obviously here to pick fights. I have surely provided you with a good many hours of priceless entertainment as I unwittingly played right into your hands. You have absolutely nothing of value or interest to bring to this forum, and I will honor you by being the first person on any forum I have ever even considered blocking. Congrats!
[/quote]
:yahoo::shout::yahoo::shout::yahoo::shout::yahoo::shout::yahoo::shout::yahoo::shout::yahoo::shout:

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1358998121' post='6286575']
[quote name='Team Ping' timestamp='1358997241' post='6286469']
Why do I dislike JDM? Because I can never afford any of it, and it has never performed well for me. Ive never liked a soft feeling driver, or a buttery iron. I like my clubs to have a little click to them. Ive also never been very impressed with the designs of some of the clubs. Some of the blades I have no idea how they got the idea for the muscle. I never thought there was anything wrong with a traditional blade, but aparntly they did. Simply put, its way overpriced, performs no better for me, and just isnt very apealing to me.
[/quote]

How do you really feel? Lol

I can definitely see how (if you're a ping fan as your name implies) the would be a disconnect between most JDM stuff and Ping stuff. They're really opposite ends of the spectrum and embrace entirely different design philosophies. Look shape sound and feel all are polar opposites.

Makes sense because I have never really cared for the look sound shape and feel of Ping despite finding them incredibly playable and routinely getting stomped by older fellas in league that play ancient looking Pings. But I fell in love with JDM looks feel design and sound. I can't really see too many people loving both.
[/quote]

Just cant help being a d-bag can you? Couldn't just say you get beat by guys playing Pings had to say "older fellas" playing Pings. Passive aggressive much?

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1359031570' post='6287845']
[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1358998121' post='6286575']
[quote name='Team Ping' timestamp='1358997241' post='6286469']
Why do I dislike JDM? Because I can never afford any of it, and it has never performed well for me. Ive never liked a soft feeling driver, or a buttery iron. I like my clubs to have a little click to them. Ive also never been very impressed with the designs of some of the clubs. Some of the blades I have no idea how they got the idea for the muscle. I never thought there was anything wrong with a traditional blade, but aparntly they did. Simply put, its way overpriced, performs no better for me, and just isnt very apealing to me.
[/quote]

How do you really feel? Lol

I can definitely see how (if you're a ping fan as your name implies) the would be a disconnect between most JDM stuff and Ping stuff. They're really opposite ends of the spectrum and embrace entirely different design philosophies. Look shape sound and feel all are polar opposites.

Makes sense because I have never really cared for the look sound shape and feel of Ping despite finding them incredibly playable and routinely getting stomped by older fellas in league that play ancient looking Pings. But I fell in love with JDM looks feel design and sound. I can't really see too many people loving both.
[/quote]

Just cant help being a d-bag can you? Couldn't just say you get beat by guys playing Pings had to say "older fellas" playing Pings. Passive aggressive much?
[/quote]

Ha. Speaking of d-bag, you just can't help but to read malice into everything I post, can you?

I said it because it is true. Some of the best players in the league I play in are middle aged guys with Ping clubs, one still uses a Ping persimmon (or some other wood) driver. If they were younger guys with new Pings I'd have said "younger guys that routinely stomp me with newer Ping clubs." But they're not. They're in their 50s and 60s that have old Pings. And they beat me with them.

It was actually a tip of the hat to Ping because pretty much everyone I golf with, even older guys with limited physical capability, play well with them. But at this point in time I could say the sky is blue and you'd call me a name and say its actually cerulean and that I just call it blue for vanity reasons.

The thing that people need to understand is that golf is very different in Asia.

In the US, golf is a "sport". People from all age groups and all backgrounds can pick it up as long as you are interested. You also have very easy access to all sorts of golf courses in a wide price range.

In Asia, golf is a "leisure". It is very expensive and relatively exclusive. I currently work and live in Hong Kong. For me to play a round of 18 holes in any golf course would cost around USD200-300(non member) not including transportation or other fees. And it is also extremely difficult to get a tee time on the weekend. Japan is similar and even more expensive.

Thurs, as you can see, the majority of the Asian golfing population is made up of 45 and above year old men with solid social and economic standing.

These are the consumers that the JDM companies are targeting. They like nice things and have the money to spend. Golf clubs are also a symbol of status here. That's why JDM companies pay more attention to details(Japanese craftsmanship and quality control are top notch), and are also able to sell them at a premium.

If you think the JDM clubs are overpriced, you are probably right. But this is not a scam. You are just not the type of consumer they are targeting.

[quote name='mastaj508' timestamp='1359038125' post='6288415']
The thing that people need to understand is that golf is very different in Asia.

In the US, golf is a "sport". People from all age groups and all backgrounds can pick it up as long as you are interested. You also have very easy access to all sorts of golf courses in a wide price range.

In Asia, golf is a "leisure". It is very expensive and relatively exclusive. I currently work and live in Hong Kong. For me to play a round of 18 holes in any golf course would cost around USD200-300(non member) not including transportation or other fees. And it is also extremely difficult to get a tee time on the weekend. Japan is similar and even more expensive.

Thurs, as you can see, the majority of the Asian golfing population is made up of 45 and above year old men with solid social and economic standing.

These are the consumers that the JDM companies are targeting. They like nice things and have the money to spend. Golf clubs are also a symbol of status here. That's why JDM companies pay more attention to details(Japanese craftsmanship and quality control are top notch), and are also able to sell them at a premium.

If you think the JDM clubs are overpriced, you are probably right. But this is not a scam. You are just not the type of consumer they are targeting.
[/quote]

+10000000000

Of course, I'm not really who they're targeting either but I got sucked in anyways. :)

[/quote]

Spot on!!!!

I have heard that many Japanese own clubs without ever playing a round of golf and the clubs are used as a status symbol ie a poser.

[/quote]

Best explanation on JDM I've heard yet...

Give 'em a few minutes... Trolls always have to have the last word... :busted_cop:

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

I could definitely see someone saying some JDM is overpriced...but it isn't that the manufacturers and retailers are jacking up the price so much as our poor dollar doesn't go far in Japan and shipping is expensive too. :(

Set of 2013 OnOff Forged with Nippon 950 shipped from Japan...$1110 net. Factor in the exchange rate and $75 shipping, and a gorgeous set of JDM forged irons are ~on par pricewise with Titleist or Mizuno forged offerings.

Wouldn't surprise me at all that there are people with $15,000 sets of Honmas sitting in their office that get about as much use as a lot of people's $50k+ boats that sit in their garages. :)

[/quote]

Whatever the reason, as one who bags some JDM, I'm just happy to accidentally be the trickle-down beneficiary!

MODERN:
Yonex eZone 380 10*, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4w 17*
Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood 4-7h
Royal Collection Tour VS 8-PW
Fourteen MT28 J.Spec 52*, Yururi Chili 57*, Cleveland CG15 64*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach
--------
CLASSIC (under construction):
'62 Hogan Power Thrust irons
--------
HICKORY:
Jack White JWX Model D driver, brassie & spoon
Mills BSD1 aluminium cleek
Tom Stewart mashie & niblick
George Nicoll spade mashie
Tom Morris mashie niblick
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[/quote]
This is very good information. it is true. Golf is so different there. many players will pull out $3500 bags and not break 100. My JDM experience was not a good one but there are more factors at work here as well because of this market. Callaway makes a great Japan product but it is really high when you compare it to any US model. The legacy Black series irons and woods are great clubs.

Love those raw gekku's!! Bought mine for the most awesome of all reasons...They looked F'ing sweet!!
That's right guys and they felt like buuuuttttahhh!!
I'm superficial, man.
My club purchases are totally ego driven.
I'm about sexy!!

You just can't hate JDM... that's absurd.
You can hate the price tag...that's perfectly reasonable.
-D

[quote name='Team Ping' timestamp='1359054249' post='6290335']
People are in agrement now! No more arguing! Atta boy mastaj508
[/quote]

Lol.. Thanks. Glad I can help.

Btw if you guys think epon is expensive.. Go check out Majesty, the luxury sub-brand of Maruman. My friend's dad bought a Majesty driver last year for USD4000....

I don't know why anyone would hate JDM products. Are they that much better than major oems? In terms of quallity control, yes. Are they that much better in performance? No. I have spent hundreds on trying to build a perfect set of clubs to no avail, but I do enjoy getting what I pay for. I do have a thing for ping though, I hit the g25 irons the other day and really liked them. Felt just as good as any mizuno I've ever hit. I do not feel that I am any better than anyone that doesn't play jdm. In fact just the opposite, I feel almost embarrased. I know somewhere there is a college student lurking with all ping that could really show me up. I play jdm for the spec/quality control and the extended product cycles. I mean the 501 was released in March 2010, that's going on 3 years, and probably could survive another 3. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and those qualities are stunning.

@therealping

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='mastaj508' timestamp='1359038125' post='6288415']In Asia, golf is a "leisure". It is very expensive and relatively exclusive. I currently work and live in Hong Kong. For me to play a round of 18 holes in any golf course would cost around USD200-300(non member) not including transportation or other fees. And it is also extremely difficult to get a tee time on the weekend. Japan is similar and even more expensive.[/quote]

This is much more the case in HK than in Japan. Golf in Japan is no longer that expensive nor that exclusive.

I'm playing this weekend for ~$100 for a course by a name designer within an hour of Tokyo. This is not unusual - in the off season we always pay $100 or less on weekends, generally. At the course where I am a member, even in high season it's only ~$80 on weekends. Weekdays are probably half that.

The courses CAN be really expensive and can be quite snooty, but it's not always the case. Lots of normal people of all ages play golf in Japan.

[quote name='pawatan' timestamp='1360819335' post='6425789']
[quote name='mastaj508' timestamp='1359038125' post='6288415']In Asia, golf is a "leisure". It is very expensive and relatively exclusive. I currently work and live in Hong Kong. For me to play a round of 18 holes in any golf course would cost around USD200-300(non member) not including transportation or other fees. And it is also extremely difficult to get a tee time on the weekend. Japan is similar and even more expensive.[/quote]

This is much more the case in HK than in Japan. Golf in Japan is no longer that expensive nor that exclusive.

I'm playing this weekend for ~$100 for a course by a name designer within an hour of Tokyo. This is not unusual - in the off season we always pay $100 or less on weekends, generally. At the course where I am a member, even in high season it's only ~$80 on weekends. Weekdays are probably half that.

The courses CAN be really expensive and can be quite snooty, but it's not always the case. Lots of normal people of all ages play golf in Japan.
[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying and updating these points; news can still be slow to travel and minds can be slow to change.

MODERN:
--------
--------
HICKORY:
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

[/quote]

That's cool, you should start a thread about what golf is really like in Japan. A lot of us who haven't been there are interested in the details!

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1360820018' post='6425839']

[/quote]

That's cool, you should start a thread about what golf is really like in Japan. A lot of us who haven't been there are interested in the details!
[/quote]

The RBZ is only 13 yards longer there. Try and wrap your head around THAT

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1360821540' post='6425913']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1360820018' post='6425839']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The RBZ is only 13 yards longer there. Try and wrap your head around THAT
[/quote]

Lol!

But what do they yell when they hit the hammer?

I can play a Pete Dye course for about 6-7,000 yen on weekdays, including cart.

You can't talk about prices without considering cost of living. My water bill for two months is more than that round of golf. Plus, greens fees include lunch, too, and not a hot dog and fries type lunch - steak, pasta or the usual Japanese foods of tempura, soba, etc.

Golf in Japan is no longer as expensive as it was during the economic bubble 25 years ago.

Golf prices dove when greens fees were no longer tax deductible for businesses. Golf was a business activity more than a sport.

[quote name='Soloman' timestamp='1360850681' post='6426711']
Golf prices dove when greens fees were no longer tax deductible for businesses. Golf was a business activity more than a sport.
[/quote]

Bingo! "Luxury Golf" rides on the back of the economy. For almost a decade starting in the late 90s, I was fortunate enough to lead travel bands that entertained during yearly corporate trips to places like the Greenbrier, La Quinta, the Broadmoor and Kapalua. Brought the sticks and a Steinberger-style guitar small enough to travel in my golf bag & played courses I never would have otherwise; perfect. Do I need to add that it all stopped in 2008 when the economy tanked?

MODERN:
--------
--------
HICKORY:
Gibson Skoogee niblick
Spalding HB putter

I can play a Pete Dye course for about 6-7,000 yen on weekdays, including cart.[/quote]

If you're talking about One Way Golf, it's a great course and only 10,000 on weekends. Really interesting little Pete Dye course, less than an hour from the center of Tokyo.

So many nice courses and courses by famous designers within 2 hours of the center of town. Nicklaus (Haruna no Mori, Ishioka, Sunnyfield, New St Andrews), Dye (One Way, Kimisarazu, The Country Club Glenmoor, Mission Hills), RT Jones Jr (Oak Hills, Miho), etc etc etc. You can get on all of these courses, many times for very reasonable prices (except Kimisarazu, maybe). 150 some odd courses in Chiba alone!

[quote name='pawatan' timestamp='1360915176' post='6432689']
I can play a Pete Dye course for about 6-7,000 yen on weekdays, including cart.[/quote]

If you're talking about One Way Golf, it's a great course and only 10,000 on weekends. Really interesting little Pete Dye course, less than an hour from the center of Tokyo.

So many nice courses and courses by famous designers within 2 hours of the center of town. Nicklaus (Haruna no Mori, Ishioka, Sunnyfield, New St Andrews), Dye (One Way, Kimisarazu, The Country Club Glenmoor, Mission Hills), RT Jones Jr (Oak Hills, Miho), etc etc etc. You can get on all of these courses, many times for very reasonable prices (except Kimisarazu, maybe). 150 some odd courses in Chiba alone!
[/quote]

Great info. Thanks! i will definitely try to hit them up next time I visit Japan. The last time I played there was in the early 2000s. Forgot the name of the course, but it was also roughly an hour drive from Tokyo. The most memorable part for me was the "lunch break" after front 9. We took an hour off to have lunch before heading to the back 9. Heard it was common for Japanese golfers.

Anyway, in my original post, I did not mean that golf was completely out of reach for average joes. My point was more about comparing the golf lifestyle in Asia to the US.

I can play a Pete Dye course for about 6-7,000 yen on weekdays, including cart.

You can't talk about prices without considering cost of living. My water bill for two months is more than that round of golf. Plus, greens fees include lunch, too, and not a hot dog and fries type lunch - steak, pasta or the usual Japanese foods of tempura, soba, etc.

Golf in Japan is no longer as expensive as it was during the economic bubble 25 years ago.

[/quote]

Cool. And interesting. I'd say the vast majority of us Yanks who've not experienced golf in Japan are still under the impression that it's the same way as it was in 1986. I don't know why we'd think that. Golf in the US has changed a lot in that time so I don't see why golf in Japan wouldn't have changed too!

If you get the chance to start a separate thread on this, that would be interesting. Would love to hear more about courses around the area and the overall experience of playing golf in Japan. Thanks!

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle