2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

SkyPro - really impressive

[quote name='Moleman' timestamp='1434838257' post='11795310']

Is it true that bowed wrist at the top alert is a bug as I get this on approx 80% of my swings..
[/quote]

Yup...that is a long-standing bug.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1435247305' post='11832936'] Congratulations to the SkyPro team. They've won this years shoot out between the different swing trainers: [b][url="http://tinyurl.com/ojeh63b"]http://tinyurl.com/ojeh63b[/url][/b] [/quote]

That's awesome. I haven't used the putting feature on this yet. Does anyone know how it compares to the 3Bays GSA Putt? Better? Worse? Input appreciated.

Thanks for the shoutout Par Hunter! We're really excited about winning the shootout this year!

For the people that mentioned bowed wrist -- yes, we've corrected that in a fix we'll push soon.

Aithos: Good question about shaft direction @ top and @ half-down, and the relation between them. I don't have much to add past ParHunter's good response, but an additional way of relating the two is to imagine the swing plane. At any point in the swing, including top-of-backswing and half-down, you can draw a plane up from the target line to the hands. The Shaft Direction parameter measures the angle from this plane to the club shaft. If the club shaft lies in the plane, the shaft direction angle is 0°; if the club head is outside the plane, you'll get something like 5 or 10° outside; and vice-versa if the club head is inside.

Moleman: We've found our clubhead speed to be very accurate. That said, if you're using custom clubs with a significantly shortened shaft, or if you're not placing the SkyPro directly below the grip, you might get consistently high speeds. If it's the former, you can actually change the length of the club after calibrating, which should fix the problem.

Thanks again to ParHunter for helping spread the word :)

Gord

[quote name='gparke' timestamp='1435359016' post='11841570']
Thanks for the shoutout Par Hunter! We're really excited about winning the shootout this year!

For the people that mentioned bowed wrist -- yes, we've corrected that in a fix we'll push soon.

Aithos: Good question about shaft direction @ top and @ half-down, and the relation between them. I don't have much to add past ParHunter's good response, but an additional way of relating the two is to imagine the swing plane. At any point in the swing, including top-of-backswing and half-down, you can draw a plane up from the target line to the hands. The Shaft Direction parameter measures the angle from this plane to the club shaft. If the club shaft lies in the plane, the shaft direction angle is 0°; if the club head is outside the plane, you'll get something like 5 or 10° outside; and vice-versa if the club head is inside.

Moleman: We've found our clubhead speed to be very accurate. That said, if you're using custom clubs with a significantly shortened shaft, or if you're not placing the SkyPro directly below the grip, you might get consistently high speeds. If it's the former, you can actually change the length of the club after calibrating, which should fix the problem.

Thanks again to ParHunter for helping spread the word :)

Gord
[/quote]

Gord,

In this fix you are going to push soon is it going to include adding video or the ability to export data via email? :rockon:

[quote name='gparke' timestamp='1433455117' post='11691348']
Carrera - Sorry to hear that! I haven't had a failure like that in a while. People have successfully glued theirs together and then used it for a long time. If you don't want to take time for the replacement, I'd recommend doing that. If it doesn't work I'll still happily replace it :)
[/quote]

Update: I applied Gorilla Glue a few times...it would work for a while and then separate. Yesterday it separated again, and I must have applied too much glue to the case because today it wouldn't take a charge. I contacted customer service and they said it was out of warranty (I bought it in 2013) so I have to buy a replacement. I'll be doing that, since the SkyPro has really been useful, but hopefully the replacement will be more durable.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

MulliganMan - This fix is just a small update, so no video yet unfortunately. It's been a while since our last update, so ~90% of the work in this update was updating the code base to the latest requirements from Apple (support for multiple screen sizes, 64-bit, etc.).

One new feature is a new parameter: Angle of Attack! We'd had it in the works for a while (lots of testing), and think it's now ready for release.

Carrera - Sorry to hear that. Can you private message me about the replacement? Thanks!

Gord

Mine arrives tomorrow. If it does half of what it's supposed to do I'll be thrilled. AoA addition is great to hear!

The purchase was a direct result of this thread and of Gord's participation here.

SLDR 9.5 w/ Speeder 757
Titleist 904f 4W w/ S300
Ping G20 17* w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 85 2.0
Ping S56 5-9 w/ KBS Tour Stiff
Vokey 46, 52, 56 & 60
Ping WACK-E putter

Thanks to Gord for a follow-up through PM. It turns out (time flies!) that my Skypro was one of the first-run models that had problems. All good on my end....great product and company.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Ok, got my SkyPro and took it to the range for 30 min tonight. In short, this thing is worth it's weight in gold. Can't wait to work with it more.

Feel isn't real, as they say, so it's hard to feel and implement swing changes on your own. Plus, you can hit good shots with a bad swing, and vice versa, so that feedback channel isn't so reliable. Video is nice, but it's 2D and is inherently limited. You can film your swing and see problems, but you don't get feedback shot by shot as you fix them without disrupting your practice. Launch monitors are great I'm their own right, but they don't help you fix your backswing, tempo, etc.

I have a tendency to get very laid off, which wrecks my swing. In just a handful of swings, I was able to see the problem then experiment finding a feeling that put the shaft in a better spot at the top. Then I grooved that feeling and got 8 out of 10. Ball flight improved dramatically, and the rest of the swing metrics fell into lime too. The device gives immediate feedback: I put my iPad Air in front of the mat, and by the time you finish the swing and look back at the iPad, the data is there.

I plan to take a video of the swing and compare to the data the device is providing just to see what my body is doing vs the club's motion.

Gord, if you haven't made a million bucks on this by now you're doing it wrong. ;). Nice work.

SLDR 9.5 w/ Speeder 757
Titleist 904f 4W w/ S300
Vokey 46, 52, 56 & 60
Ping WACK-E putter

[quote name='gparke' timestamp='1433455117' post='11691348']
Hi all,

Geoff - thanks for the feedback. Haven't heard that one before, but it makes sense and I expect we'll be able to implement it without any problems.

Jimca - Next update should have that adjusted.

Parhunter - that's also a good idea! We do have something in the works on this front.

PingEye2 - If you haven't used SkyPro much, you may be mistakenly thinking Module Mahoney has a 25° inside-to-out [i]path at impact[/i]. This is what Trackman would measure, and, as you mentioned, it would have a huge effect. However, we don't measure that parameter for the full swing with SkyPro. Instead, I think Module Mahoney is talking about his club angle halfway through his downswing. Being 25° inside there does not mean the eventual path at impact will also be 25° inside - probably much less.

Carrera - Sorry to hear that! I haven't had a failure like that in a while. People have successfully glued theirs together and then used it for a long time. If you don't want to take time for the replacement, I'd recommend doing that. If it doesn't work I'll still happily replace it :)

Aithos - I have an obvious bias, so I guess you have to take what I say with a grain of salt! We did have a streak of case breakages in our first production run, but that was mostly limited to those initial units (we did switch the material as you mentioned). I haven't heard of a breakage like Carreras in a long time. We haven't received many complaints at all about Bluetooth. And, if it does temporarily lose connection, it should reconnect automatically within a second... this happens to me on occasion, but it's rarely an actual inconvenience.

Gord
[/quote]

Thanks a lot for acknowledging my request Gord. Much appreciated.

Another 'no brainier' - could the golfer's black shirt be a contrasting colour to the black handle of the club please? Just to make it easier to eyeball to handle movement in the swing graphic! Just shows how detailed you get once you start to use Skypro a lot.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='tjames' timestamp='1435979939' post='11885280']
How come 8* of forward shaft lean with a 7 iron is considered "very forward". Im probably mid left thigh with my 7 iron. I dont consider the shaft to have more forward shaft lean than the club was designed to give.
[/quote]

You are free to set your own alerts, so if you think 8 is just right tweak the settings to make the alert go away.

The vocabulary accompanying the alerts is limited and not strictly accurate, I think a few extra posibilites would be beneficial, perhaps 'slightly' would work in this case.

By the way I only which I could hit 8 degrees of FSL, that would be great.

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1436381618' post='11911402']
[quote name='tjames' timestamp='1435979939' post='11885280']
How come 8* of forward shaft lean with a 7 iron is considered "very forward". Im probably mid left thigh with my 7 iron. I dont consider the shaft to have more forward shaft lean than the club was designed to give.
[/quote]

You are free to set your own alerts, so if you think 8 is just right tweak the settings to make the alert go away.

The vocabulary accompanying the alerts is limited and not strictly accurate, I think a few extra posibilites would be beneficial, perhaps 'slightly' would work in this case.

By the way I only which I could hit 8 degrees of FSL, that would be great.
[/quote]

This is 8* at address not impact.

[quote name='ScratchNot' timestamp='1436802401' post='11939230']
What impact if any does the skypro have on the swing weight of the club?
[/quote]

If properly positioned, no effect whatsoever. Even if you're off a 1/2" or so, the effect is negligible.

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

SkyPro just had an update on my iPhone. They now have angle of attack! Nice.

What's In My Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS3 - Tensei Blue Stiff
3W - Titleist TS2 - Kuro Cage Stiff
3H - Titleist 818 H2 - 19 - Tensei Blue Stiff
4H - Titleist 818 H2 - 21 - Tensei Blue Stiff
5i - 48 Gap - Titleist 718 AP3
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM7 53 S Grind & 58 M Grind
Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura 5M
Bag - Titleist Players 5 Stand bag
Ball - Titleist AVX
Glove - FootJoy Rain Glove
Watch - Apple Watch 2nd Generation with The Grint App, Shot Scope V2
Laser - Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt
ClicGear 3.5+ - Blued Out!
======================================
The Grint - Club Chairman / Grint Tour Director - North Texas

You guys are fast! I was just coming on here to announce we put angle of attack in the app (and a few other minor bug fixes). As I might have mentioned before, angle of attack had been in the works for a while. (It required lots of testing before release because impact with the ground can confuse our sensors if we're not careful.) I also know you guys have made some great other requests and I hope to get to them soon.

Geoff -- that's another good suggestion. We've had to spending some time upgrading our 3D stuff to have more widespread support on Android, so this might be a good time to make that kind of change. I'll see what I can do.

tjames -- DaveMac is correct that you can (and should) change that alert if you don't like it. Our intention with alerts is not to say something is wrong, just to say it's outside of the usual ranges we see in our data. It's more a suggestion than a prescription. If forward shaft lean works for you, then I'd recommend changing that alert.

ScratchNot -- rebby is right, the SkyPro's light weight and position on the club shaft mean it has negligible effect on swing weight. We generally hear that most people can't feel it. (The one exception I remember being Jim Furyk :P). I have heard of people being bothered by visually seeing it on their club, but, if that's a problem, our calibration process means you can put it on the bottom of the club shaft where it's hidden.

Gord

[quote name='mulliganman30' timestamp='1437408517' post='11984428']
[quote name='Trane5' timestamp='1437406757' post='11984238']
SkyPro just had an update on my iPhone. They now have angle of attack! Nice.
[/quote]

Yep. The IPAD app has an update adding this today as well. Very nice feature to have
[/quote]

Also nice that the angle of attack is reported for all your previous swings as well. Not so nice that I have yet another issue to rectify!

A tip for iPad users, to keep the Skypro app operating smoothly, close down other apps that you are not using or have forgotten you have opened. I discovered this after installing the update.

Cheers

Geoff

Help me understand shaft direction at top of backswing. Last range season I swung with 9 iron, 6 iron, and driver. I was consistently 4-8 degrees inside at top with the 9 iron and driver. The 6 iron was constantly getting very inside alerts at top of backswing from 12-18 degrees. Why such a difference with different clubs?

Also I typically don't swing anywhere near parallel on my backswing so how would it know I was very inside at the top?

[quote name='ofortuna' timestamp='1437775958' post='12014736']
I'm thinking of getting one of these but I'm concerned about the durability issues. Maybe I should wait for an improved revision.
[/quote]

I have used my Slypro for over 5000 practise swings off range mats in last six months without the device suffering any obvious physical issues. I previously tried a Swingbyte and it didn't survive the first range session.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='jtl0101' timestamp='1437796392' post='12016440']
Help me understand shaft direction at top of backswing. Last range season I swung with 9 iron, 6 iron, and driver. I was consistently 4-8 degrees inside at top with the 9 iron and driver. The 6 iron was constantly getting very inside alerts at top of backswing from 12-18 degrees. Why such a difference with different clubs?

Also I typically don't swing anywhere near parallel on my backswing so how would it know I was very inside at the top?
[/quote]

Inside or outside is relative to plane. On plane for a 3/4 swing would point left or laid off, but would read zero, for example. On plane for a parallel swing, the club would point down the target line.

SLDR 9.5 w/ Speeder 757
Titleist 904f 4W w/ S300
Vokey 46, 52, 56 & 60
Ping WACK-E putter

[quote name='jtl0101' timestamp='1437796392' post='12016440']
[/quote]

The device measures how short of parallel you are, and can compute shaft direction on shots short of parallel using straightforward math.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

[quote name='ofortuna' timestamp='1437775958' post='12014736']
I'm thinking of getting one of these but I'm concerned about the durability issues. Maybe I should wait for an improved revision.
[/quote]

You shouldn't hold off buying one for that reason. The model I had problems with was from early production runs.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response