2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

SkyPro - really impressive

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont have this device, I have the SB 1, but I was wondering how to practice or what drills to use to utilize these sort of devices... Right now, I tried to use it as a simple swing speed measurer and I was wondering how to make use of this device. I only have confidence in the data for the swing speed, tempo, attack angle, and 3D image of swing.

@royemans - what were your two alerts on that swing? Can you post the data readings for that swing instead of the graphic? (just touch the "2" that indicates how many alerts for that swing).

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Recently bought on of these things and thought I'd add my thoughts...

I've been able to have two range sessions with the Skypro, 150 balls each time, and first thoughts were that I disagreed a little with the numbers so filmed myself and sure enough I was talking the club away way more on the inside than I realised!!

That being said my initial skepticism was partly correct as the skypro had slipped a little (although was fully tightened) and calibrating brought the results closer to expectations but definitely still on the inside! After that it seemed to stay put as long as it was fixed a little onto the back side of the club rather than directly under neath.

I liked the idea of groove mode, although have actually found myself using Focus mode more, as I can see the club angle at half back, the top and half down all clearly without picking the phone up. I thought I remembered reading about having the phone vibrate to provide feedback when in groove mode rather than make a noise (probably not that popular on the range) but couldn't seem to find any settings for this, so since I needed to actually look at the phone for feedback I may aswell see 3 stats not 1 via Focus mode.

Was excited to see that Angle of Attack had been added but this doesn't seem to have made it through to Android yet- is there an ETA for when this and the Data Table will make it onto the android app? Also is the Face Angle issue fixed on Android?

The final area that I was unsure of was lag. I have trouble with tightening up my grip too much and then either blocking the shot or if I force my hands through there just isn't as much power. I thought it would be obvious to see this in the data or the 3d swing image but I'm struggling to spot the difference between the 'laggier' shots and normal ones. Is there something I should be specifically looking at to see this?

Overall thoughts are still that it's a fantastic device that will provide me with a great training tool which is already helping me (takeaway angle and return angle between 0-7 degrees on last 25 shots compared with 20 degrees previously). I think the more I use it the more I will get a feel for how to use it and it will only get more and more useful.

Keep up the good work guys!

Gord, just installed the latest iPad update and all is not well. Application is not initialising, took over three minutes the first time but became slow and unstable, eventually crashing, Now I can't get it to initialise at all.

Will keep you posted if things improve but not looking good at the moment!

Fault now very consistent, app tries to initialise, 25 seconds after launch the pro tip appears the remains in this state until it crashes after 2 minutes.

Update, the issue seems specific to the database changes required for AoA plus the necessary re calculations, so if you have a large swing collection > 2000, I'd recommend avoiding this update until a revision is released!

If you do update be patient on app load because there is a fair bit of initial number crunching going on in the background.

So fourth time on the range... skypro snapped off its fixing and went 20m into the range!

Managed to retrieve it (bit embarrassing asking everyone to stop!) so ill send it baxk to retailer... maybe it was old stop and I received one of the early ones.

Looks like a single small screw snapped. I can slide it back into the grip bit but nothing to hold it there now.

A question for anyone with this device (I apologize that I haven't read through all 49 pages of this thread but it is awfully long).

I video my swing a few times each range session with the V1 app on my Iphone. I was also thinking about getting a SSR to measure swing speed. With the video I can draw a few lines to check my plane, shallowing, impact angle,etc. I don't care that much about all the numbers (I just use visual feedback) but I would like to work on swing speed. The problem with video is turning it on each time and getting two angles. It's a pain. It is not always possible to get a FO angle to look at impact if the range is crowded. I am mostly interested in this device for convenience. Two questions:

1) Is the swing speed accurate (at least on a relative basis)? Have you compared it to other monitors?
2) Do you miss things that you would normally get on video by only getting a cartoon image and numbers?

Thanks!

[quote name='toadley' timestamp='1438361136' post='12054670']
So fourth time on the range... skypro snapped off its fixing and went 20m into the range!

Managed to retrieve it (bit embarrassing asking everyone to stop!) so ill send it baxk to retailer... maybe it was old stop and I received one of the early ones.

Looks like a single small screw snapped. I can slide it back into the grip bit but nothing to hold it there now.
[/quote]

This is what I'm really concerned about. Is there a way to fashion a harness with a string? Perhaps a piece of thread with one piece around the unit and the other around the shaft?

[quote name='Coldnorth' timestamp='1438365743' post='12055176']
A question for anyone with this device (I apologize that I haven't read through all 49 pages of this thread but it is awfully long).

I video my swing a few times each range session with the V1 app on my Iphone. I was also thinking about getting a SSR to measure swing speed. With the video I can draw a few lines to check my plane, shallowing, impact angle,etc. I don't care that much about all the numbers (I just use visual feedback) but I would like to work on swing speed. The problem with video is turning it on each time and getting two angles. It's a pain. It is not always possible to get a FO angle to look at impact if the range is crowded. I am mostly interested in this device for convenience. Two questions:

1) Is the swing speed accurate (at least on a relative basis)? Have you compared it to other monitors?
2) Do you miss things that you would normally get on video by only getting a cartoon image and numbers?

Thanks!
[/quote]

Gord Parke (one of the original developers of the SkyPro) has answered your question on club head speed in post #1411. He says it is very accurate and although I have not compared it against a Trackman or other more expensive system, I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of the SkyPro. There were some strange readings on the club head speed profile, a while back, if the club grounded slightly, immediately before impact. But these errors were due to shaft flex and have now been removed by software filtering.

Re the video versus SkyPro, they give different information and are complementary. The SkyPro won't show you what is happening with your foot weighting and won't show chicken winging on follow through, etc. etc. I have tried high speed video with my Samsung phone camera, but it needs a lot of light and as you say, it's a hassle to start and stop the camera. That is why I would like to see a video option included in this SkyPro software.

I think I am still occasionally having a problem with chicken winging, though it is not caused by an over the top swing. So I will be trying to get a video lesson with my Pro in the next week or so, just to make sure I am still correcting my swing.

BHB1

[quote name='Wross' timestamp='1438728621' post='12079232']
I took my skypro to the range today for the first time. Put it on a 5 iron. No problem, other than my crappy swing. Switched it to the driver and it didn't record a single swing. Didn't even get the "couldn't compute" or whatever. Just nothing.
[/quote]

Dumb question, but I assume you re-callibrated it for the driver?

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Hi All. New here. Love the site.
Would love to pick one of these up for me and my daughter to use.
Can anyone tell me if it will work on shorter than average clubs? For example my daughter's driver is 38 inches long and her shortest club is her LW at 31.5 inches. Will the sky pro calibrate to these lengths without compromising the accuracy of the swing speed and the rest of the data?
I looked into several others like 3bays and they told me theirs wouldn't work. So I'm hoping Skypro is the ticket.
Thanks in advance!

[quote name='carrera' timestamp='1438749646' post='12081210']
I took my skypro to the range today for the first time. Put it on a 5 iron. No problem, other than my crappy swing. Switched it to the driver and it didn't record a single swing. Didn't even get the "couldn't compute" or whatever. Just nothing.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yes, I did. It showed the little D in the corner and everything. I hit maybe 30 balls and kept checking back. Tried closing the app out and restarted it. Took it off, re-calibrated. I figured maybe it was storing them, because at one point while using the 5 iron it stopped showing them and then asked if I wanted to view the 16 swings that it had stored, so I did. Nothing ever showed up.

[quote name='Wross' timestamp='1438754574' post='12081398']
[quote name='carrera' timestamp='1438749646' post='12081210']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yes, I did. It showed the little D in the corner and everything. I hit maybe 30 balls and kept checking back. Tried closing the app out and restarted it. Took it off, re-calibrated. I figured maybe it was storing them, because at one point while using the 5 iron it stopped showing them and then asked if I wanted to view the 16 swings that it had stored, so I did. Nothing ever showed up.
[/quote]

Strange happening. I seldom have any problems with the SkyPro connection on an iPad or an Android phone.

I would try resetting the sensor (but you will loose the 36 swings or so stored in the sensor). Reset the sensor by putting it back in its case, but without the USB cable connected.

If that doesn't work, maybe send a PM to Gord Parke on this forum (he is a developer for the SkyPro).

Good luck

BHB1

[quote name='Dadcad' timestamp='1438750307' post='12081230']
Can anyone tell me if it will work on shorter than average clubs? For example my daughter's driver is 38 inches long and her shortest club is her LW at 31.5 inches. Will the sky pro calibrate to these lengths without compromising the accuracy of the swing speed and the rest of the data?
I looked into several others like 3bays and they told me theirs wouldn't work. So I'm hoping Skypro is the ticket.
Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

I haven't tried it on a shorter club but... during the calibration process you can set parameters for the club. Loft, length and lie are all options. So, I'm thinking that as long as you know your LLL, you shouldn't have any problems with the shorter clubs. I have tried the SkyPro with shorter pitch shots and it was able to pick them up so I don't see why it wouldn't pic up other shots with slower swings so that shouldn't be a problem either.

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

[quote name='Dadcad' timestamp='1438750307' post='12081230']
Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

Just checked the edit range on a Driver. It goes down to 10", so your daughter's clubs should be absolutely no problem.

BHB1

[quote name='ofortuna' timestamp='1438830778' post='12087242']
Will skypro diagnose pivot problems like swaying or too flat shoulder turn?
[/quote]

You can use the 3D image to see where your swing is too flat, which was a problem I have or there's Plane mode which is similar. There isn't a direct number for it but you could see there might be a problem in the numbers, such as face angle at top ot takeaway angle at half back. When I changed my takeaway to get it more on plane (rather than being too horizontal) my face angle at top improves without me changing anything to do with my wrists deliberately.

In terms of just looking at the numbers I think you do need to be careful on how you interpret them, so as has been mentioned you need some understanding of golf swing mechanics I think to really make use of the data. For instance, the half back takeaway angle is very different if you have exactly the same backswing in terms of your body but c0ck your wrists earlier so someone might be inclined to change their body rather than wrists or vice versa to affect a certain number which could add problems.

Not heard any word on this, but of course Skypro would be unlikely to give advance notice anyway.

However, I think there are still plenty of improvements, features such as integrated video of the swing with the existing data and 3D representations, that could be implemented to enhance the existing model. Not sure what other features could be added, as I haven't seen much else by the SkyPro competitors either. Only things like an upgraded version of BlueTooth or such like, etc. when ever that comes along.

BHB1

[/quote]
An update: Finally remembered to bring skypro to the range with me again. It recorded my driver swings just fine this time.

I just got mine and after some swings on the range, I corrected a problem and hit the ball fantastic today. I think I love this thing.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

I've been using the skypro for a few weeks, it has helped me realize what I need to focus on improving. Before I was just watching youtube and trying to implement everything. The skypro showed me what I was doing wrong, so I could narrow down to improving my shoulder angles in the swing, and also improving my angle of attack (I needed to have my body push forward more, I was falling back, noticed when I filmed myself as well.)