SkyPro - really impressive

I have a question for Gord:

Does the next release of the SkyPro software for iPhone include face angle @ impact and swing path @ impact?

I have read in the FAQ on the SkyPro website that you have difficulty making an accurate calculation of face angle @ impact because of the possible high closing speed of the clubface (as a result of fat shots).

Why don't you either:

- Display face angle and swing path @ impact only when hitting the driver? The driver is an important club to hit well and has (normally) no ground interaction.

- Calculate face angle and swing path @ impact for every club, but only display it when it is fairly accurate?

- Calculate and display face angle and swing path @ impact for every club, but add a symbol/color to the value if the accuracy is questionable?

Please give us your thoughts.

I don't think it is quite so easy. The clubface angle changes quite a bit during impact (e.g. due to off-centre hits) and it is not the clubface at first contact that is important but the angle at the point of maximum compression of the ball (and I am not sure how you could measure that with the SkyPro).

On top of that you will get lots of electronic 'noise' during impact - any measurement would be a wild guess ( is my guess). You get e.g. the SwingByte which gives you numbers for path and face angle. I used to have one before I got the SkyPro and the numbers were just not reliable and you don't want to base your swing fix on random data!

I like the approach SkyPro has taken - if you are not sure of the numbers, don't show them!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the next release of the SkyPro software for iPhone include face angle @ impact and swing path @ impact?

I have read in the FAQ on the SkyPro website that you have difficulty making an accurate calculation of face angle @ impact because of the possible high closing speed of the clubface (as a result of fat shots).

Why don't you either:

- Display face angle and swing path @ impact only when hitting the driver? The driver is an important club to hit well and has (normally) no ground interaction.

- Calculate face angle and swing path @ impact for every club, but only display it when it is fairly accurate?

- Calculate and display face angle and swing path @ impact for every club, but add a symbol/color to the value if the accuracy is questionable?

I don't think it is quite so easy. The clubface angle changes quite a bit during impact (e.g. due to off-centre hits) and it is not the clubface at first contact that is important but the angle at the point of maximum compression of the ball (and I am not sure how you could measure that with the SkyPro).

On top of that you will get lots of electronic 'noise' during impact - any measurement would be a wild guess ( is my guess). You get e.g. the SwingByte which gives you numbers for path and face angle. I used to have one before I got the SkyPro and the numbers were just not reliable and you don't want to base your swing fix on random data!

I like the approach SkyPro has taken - if you are not sure of the numbers, don't show them!

I can imagine that face angle @ impact is hard to determine accurately, but what about swing path @ impact? Swing path @ impact isn't highly affected by hitting the ball?

Why don't you either:

I can imagine that face angle @ impact is hard to determine accurately, but what about swing path @ impact? Swing path @ impact isn't highly affected by hitting the ball?

I guess they managed to get the AoA (Angle of Attack) so path could be possible as well. Only problem here is that the path will be relative to the face angle at address - not necessarily your target line! The SkyPro only knows there the face was pointing at at the beginning of the swing. Most people won't be aiming dead on. This could be a personal preference (e.g. a lot of hookers aim with an open clubface and slicers with a closed clubface) or because they make a mistake in aiming (I think most people do).

If you zoom in and look at the 3D graph near impact you can already get a good idea whether it is very much in-to-out or out-to-in.

Why don't you either:

I guess they managed to get the AoA (Angle of Attack) so path could be possible as well. Only problem here is that the path will be relative to the face angle at address - not necessarily your target line! The SkyPro only knows there the face was pointing at at the beginning of the swing. Most people won't be aiming dead on. This could be a personal preference (e.g. a lot of hookers aim with an open clubface and slicers with a closed clubface) or because they make a mistake in aiming (I think most people do).

If you zoom in and look at the 3D graph near impact you can already get a good idea whether it is very much in-to-out or out-to-in.

As I use Skypro for swing and not ball flight analysis, I would be delighted to see the relative face angle and path parameters shown close to ball contact, while accepting the inherent limitations. As the zoomed 3D view apparently already estimates these parameters, it would be great to have the numbers displayed in a friendly, quantified form. I give this potential feature a very positive vote.

Cheers

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

After 2 years of normal usage my skypro battery has given up.

It now says approx 90% after a full charge but quickly runs out of charge after approx' 30 shots.

I reset it by putting in the box for 10 seconds, recalibrate, hit a shot and is dead again.

Anyone else had battery issues.

I tried contacting their help centre after being given the number by a virtual on line assistant but gave up holding after 2 X 30 minute waits.

I wonder what type of battery it uses.

Thanks

Steve

It now says approx 90% after a full charge but quickly runs out of charge after approx' 30 shots.

I reset it by putting in the box for 10 seconds, recalibrate, hit a shot and is dead again.

I tried contacting their help centre after being given the number by a virtual on line assistant but gave up holding after 2 X 30 minute waits.

The SkyPro device has a rechargeable lithium-ion polymer battery. This type of battery is very sensitive for high and low voltage ranges. That means that this battery can get defect if it discharges below a certain voltage value. The device will probably shut itself down when the voltage becomes too low, but when this device is not recharged it will slowly auto-discharge below the minimum voltage and become broken. So always store your SkyPro fully charged and also recharge regularly when you don't use the device for a longer periode of time!

The SkyPro device has a rechargeable lithium-ion polymer battery. This type of battery is very sensitive for high and low voltage ranges. That means that this battery can get defect if it discharges below a certain voltage value. The device will probably shut itself down when the voltage becomes too low, but when this device is not recharged it will slowly auto-discharge below the minimum voltage and become broken. So always store your SkyPro fully charged and also recharge regularly when you don't use the device for a longer periode of time!

I think this is exactly what has happened. Nothing in the instructions about that and I expect all units will fail eventually.

I'm not happy, after finally getting through to them after 3 X 30 minute waits I was told that it will cost me £89 to replace.

They're having a laugh. I'll throw it in the bin before I pay that for a battery replacement.

I was nearly on the verge of buying a SkyTrak, so glad this has happened and warned me away from them.

SkyPro......Ram it!!!

Over & Out

Steve

Hey guys, long time lurker here...

I'm a 15 hdcp, really going for it this year and taking lessons for the first time ever. I'm 33 and have been playing since I was a kid on and off, etc...but the last few years I've taken golf more seriously and have improved a good amount on my own.

Found a great teacher who has really helped me see the next level, and I bought a Skypro. Had a lesson with him today and he sort of wrote it off as gimmicky. I disagree, and see it as a tool.

My question is...Has anyone heard similar things from their pros regarding this type of technology, and why would they want to dismiss it?

Hey guys, long time lurker here...

I'm a 15 hdcp, really going for it this year and taking lessons for the first time ever. I'm 33 and have been playing since I was a kid on and off, etc...but the last few years I've taken golf more seriously and have improved a good amount on my own.

Found a great teacher who has really helped me see the next level, and I bought a Skypro. Had a lesson with him today and he sort of wrote it off as gimmicky. I disagree, and see it as a tool.

My question is...Has anyone heard similar things from their pros regarding this type of technology, and why would they want to dismiss it?

Not sure but it could be because some of the swing analysers out there are giving users numbers for things they can't reliably measure (face at impact, path at impact etc). That might have brought the swing analysers into disrespect with some instructors.

But I agree with you, the SkyPro is a very useful tool. You can actually see whether your swing changes or not - you get feedback which is very important.

• 3 weeks later...

Without reading all 54 pages I have two questions. I swing in the garage without hitting a ball and wondering:

Does this work without hitting a ball?

Does this help with common swing faults when trying to fix B/S problems and my OTT move? Can I analyze this?

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Without reading all 54 pages I have two questions. I swing in the garage without hitting a ball and wondering:

Does this help with common swing faults when trying to fix B/S problems and my OTT move? Can I analyze this?

Yes it works without a ball but you need to scuff the dirt or mat. With a driver, just hit a rubber tee. Either way it will register your swing.

The skypro has found a fault in my swing that two very good instructors didn't notice by watching video. I am coming very inside on my downswing. I am from 14 to 20 degrees inside at p6. To me, the discovery of this fault alone is worth the price of the unit.

Yes it works without a ball but you need to scuff the dirt or mat. With a driver, just hit a rubber tee. Either way it will register your swing.

The skypro has found a fault in my swing that two very good instructors didn't notice by watching video. I am coming very inside on my downswing. I am from 14 to 20 degrees inside at p6. To me, the discovery of this fault alone is worth the price of the unit.

Thanks for the help. I really might need to get one of these.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

The SkyPro device will register your swing if you hit a mat or use foam balls.

When using SkyPro I found out that I hit 5 degrees down on the ball with the driver and that I have a slight out-to-in swingpath. None of my golfpros noticed that using their eyes.

got one for my birthday. It is kind of a fun gadget. So, overall according to SkyPro I have two areas to address (I believe I have many....):

Shaft Lean - very forward: Is that being measured at address?

Takeaway Angle - very inside: not sure what that means. Does it mean I'm taking club to far inside when I start my swing? What problems does that lead to?

2Down

I had my skpro for a week now and at first i really enjoyed it,but now im not sure if i trust the numbers its giving me.Seem like every swing i get atleast 2 alearts,shaft angle at top very inside and open clubface half way down.Another thing is i have a zepp and it always tells me im over the top with swing plane and skypro halfway down always says im coming from inside.

I don't know what to think at this time about the skypro.One other thing i hit alot of plastic wiffle practice balls in my yard and i get alot of swings that dont register with those balls.

Seem like every swing i get at least 2 alerts,shaft angle at top very inside and open clubface half way down.Another thing is i have a zepp and it always tells me im over the top with swing plane and skypro halfway down always says im coming from inside.

The shaft direction at the top measurement is very accurate, in my experience. Downswing measurements, like clubface half way down and swing path can be distorted by an early release (cast) on the downswing, since the measurements are taken when the club is horizontal or parallel with the ground. With casters, that happens earlier in the downswing than in a more fundamentally sound swing.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

While I don't have a skypro, have you guys tried video taping your swings and watching in slow motion to confirm the results?

Yes I video my swing quite a bit and the skypro is not only accurate, it tells you things that your eye would miss and when you go back specifically looking for the flaw, you will find it.

My only gripe with the skypro is that the shaft lean numbers at setup and impact are so tied into clubface alignment at setup. Setting up with even a tiny amount of a closed face will show that you are setup with a ton of shaft lean which also translates to an exaggerated shaft lean at impact. As a test, try setting up with shaft lean away from the target (or negative shaft lean) but have the clubface closed. It will tell you that you have quite a bit of shaft lean which is incorrect.

Hi Guys

I live in Australia and I'm looking at purchasing a Skypro. Hope someone can help me with a question.

I've noticed on their website $169 plus $95 postage to Australia, which is about 350 aussie dollars. Yet, on ebay I've noticed

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SkyCaddie-SkyPro-Swing-Analyzer-/291738264958?hash=item43ecf4a57e:g:-ZcAAOSw0QFXDGw6

works out about 200 aussie dollars delivered

How can I tell if this is the latest model or doesn't it matter?

I've noticed a few others around the 250 aussie dollars mark.

Thanks in advance

Hi Guys

I live in Australia and I'm looking at purchasing a Skypro. Hope someone can help me with a question.

I've noticed on their website $169 plus $95 postage to Australia, which is about 350 aussie dollars. Yet, on ebay I've noticed

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SkyCaddie-SkyPro-Swing-Analyzer-/291738264958?hash=item43ecf4a57e:g:-ZcAAOSw0QFXDGw6

Thanks in advance

Looks good to me. I got mine new from an authorized skypro dealer on eBay and was surprised to receive a new looking package with no shrink wrap. With some detective work I was satisfied that I received a new unit. Just make sure it asks you to register your device first time you use it.

Hi Guys

http://www.ebay.com....ZcAAOSw0QFXDGw6

Thanks in advance

I would be careful to buy from this seller. It looks like the latest model is offered, but the seller does not look like he is an authorised seller. This seller only offers one SkyPro unit and does not sell any other golf related goods. The SkyPro offered might be a second hand model, because the price is too good to be true.

Hi Guys

http://www.ebay.com....ZcAAOSw0QFXDGw6

Thanks in advance

I would be careful to buy from this seller. It looks like the latest model is offered, but the seller does not look like he is an authorised seller. This seller only offers one SkyPro unit and does not sell any other golf related goods. The SkyPro offered might be a second hand model, because the price is too good to be true.

Thanks for the replies

That Ebay seller pulled his listing and relisted (must read this forum) at a higher price......LOL :swoon:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SkyCaddie-SkyPro-Swing-Analyzer-/291740909011?hash=item43ed1cfdd3:g:-ZcAAOSw0QFXDGw6

I've found an authorized dealer who is selling a 2014 model or should I just spend the extra and purchase this years model from a different dealer? Quite a bit of difference in price between the units. I would be happy to spend the extra if there is a lot of difference in performance.

I have a problem pairing the Skypro to the app on my iPhone 5. Maybe someone had a similar problem and can help me.

I have been using my Skypro with my iPhone 4 successfully for a couple of months. However when I bought an iPhone 5 and transfered the Skypro app using the iCloud from my iPhone 4 to my iPhone 5, a pairing problem started. I can still connect my Skypro through bluetooth to my iphone 5, but when I start the app, the app says the Skypro is not connected.

I already tried several things:

- fully charged and reset Skypro

- deleted and reinstalled app

- hard reset of iPhone 5

- reset of iphone 5 network settings (deletes wifi and bluetooth settings)

Last resort is a reinstall of my iPhone 5, but hopefully someone has a better idea?