2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Williamsburg, Virginia Area Golf?

Would this be better than MB, SC???
We were planning on a small golf trip to North Myrtle Beach to play these courses:

Longbay
Thistle
Barefoot Love
River's Edge

We will be there the last weekend of March through the middle of the first week of April 2007. Now, we are thinking of shortening up the drive (1 coming from Ohio, 2 from Connecticut) and playing in Williamsburg, Virginia:

The Golf Club at Brickshire
Royal New Kent
Stonehouse
Williamsburg National or another area course

I pretty much know what to expect from MB, Sc as I have golfed there on several occasions....anyone have any input on Williamsburg?

Thanks!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what month/date.... as just those 200 or so more miles south makes a difference in weather. i've played around williamsburg, and a number of mb courses.... i would lean heavily towards myrtle. it is to golfing what Vegas is to gambling... so, given the choice to go to atlantic city or las vegas for gambling... ... where would you go??? if you are going every year, try a number of different golf destinations (if the season is consistent/weather/time of the year). good luck!!!! peter

Williamsburg has some incredible golf courses.

Royal New Kent is a must play. Mike Stranz all the way...you'll never play another course quite like it in the U.S.

The Golden Horseshoe (Gold Course) is a Robert T. Jones masterpiece with quite a pedigree.

Kingsmill's River Course hosted the PGA Tour for years, and now draws one of the LPGA's top fields.

If it's an option on the way down or the way home, there are several excellent courses in Richmond you might consider (assuming you're traveling in I-95).

The vibe in Williamsburg couldn't be more different than Myrtle Beach. I'd definitely consider it as an alternative.

PM if you'd like more info.

WW

If you are looking for an alternative to MB.. I would look to the Pinehurst sandhills region.

I never get bored there.

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Speeder 553 Tour Spec
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 16.5* Aldila RIP Alpha
Titleist T200 4-7, T100s 8-PW KBS Tour
Scratch 8620 DD 47*, 53*, 60* Aerotech SF i110
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16

NO to Pinehurst, only because my wife and I will be there golfing for a long weekend around President's Day!!!!

We always weather watch at that time of the year coming from Maryland. If the weathers decent we play Williamsburg, but if it's too cold we go to Barefoot and stay playing Love Dye and Fazio.

Royal New Kent in Williamsburg is in my top 3 and we try and play it every year.

Joe

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

I live in Williamsburg. It's a great place to play golf, but make sure to watch the weather, especially around March\April as it can be sunny & 75 one day and cloudy & 50 the next. That said, if you're coming to Williamsburg, here are my recommendations in order...

1. Golden Horseshoe Gold Course - I've played over 100 courses and still haven't found one I like better as far as layouts go.

2. Royal New Kent - a Mike Strantz course, guarantee you won't see anything quite like it this side of the Atlantic

3. Colonial Heritage - brand new course just opened in September. Some of the nicest greens I've ever putted on.

4. Stonehouse - another Strantz course but it's getting a little too house-populated for my tastes

5. Kingsmill River - great Pete Dye course

6. Kingsmill Woods - completely different style from the River, very good course.

7. Golden Horseshoe Green - it's difficult to put it this far down the list cause its such a good course, but it gives you an idea of the depth of golf in this area.

8. Kiskiack

9. Kingsmill Plantation - a shortish Arnold Palmer course, played through a lot of houses, but its got some cool holes and its fun to play from the tips at 6500 yards.

10. Brickshire - in my opinion, I'll never play that course again. It's too contrite and forced. They tried to make it compete with Royal New Kent but a good course designer Curtis Strange is not. If you're out that way, Royal New Kent is a much better way to spend your money.

11. The Colonial

12. Williamsburg National - a decent Jack Nicklaus course, but has too many 'blah' holes for my taste. I'd say only about 7 good holes on the course, the rest were just kinda stuffed in there.

If you want more help or any other recommendations, just send me a pm

I live in Williamsburg. It's a great place to play golf, but make sure to watch the weather, especially around March\April as it can be sunny & 75 one day and cloudy & 50 the next. That said, if you're coming to Williamsburg, here are my recommendations in order...

1. Golden Horseshoe Gold Course - I've played over 100 courses and still haven't found one I like better as far as layouts go.

2. Royal New Kent - a Mike Strantz course, guarantee you won't see anything quite like it this side of the Atlantic

3. Colonial Heritage - brand new course just opened in September. Some of the nicest greens I've ever putted on.

4. Stonehouse - another Strantz course but it's getting a little too house-populated for my tastes

5. Kingsmill River - great Pete Dye course

6. Kingsmill Woods - completely different style from the River, very good course.

7. Golden Horseshoe Green - it's difficult to put it this far down the list cause its such a good course, but it gives you an idea of the depth of golf in this area.

8. Kiskiack

9. Kingsmill Plantation - a shortish Arnold Palmer course, played through a lot of houses, but its got some cool holes and its fun to play from the tips at 6500 yards.

10. Brickshire - in my opinion, I'll never play that course again. It's too contrite and forced. They tried to make it compete with Royal New Kent but a good course designer Curtis Strange is not. If you're out that way, Royal New Kent is a much better way to spend your money.

11. The Colonial

12. Williamsburg National - a decent Jack Nicklaus course, but has too many 'blah' holes for my taste. I'd say only about 7 good holes on the course, the rest were just kinda stuffed in there.

If you want more help or any other recommendations, just send me a pm

this guy said it all about williamsburg i had the pleasure of playing at kingsmill River and woods course and it is well worth your money

well im a member at royal new kent, stone house, and kiskyak which comes in a package. i have not played at brickshire however since i live in richmond i know people who do. my freinds father was a designer there. and at brickshire there are really nice holes and they are some ok holes. however new kent is just one of those modern courses which are alot of fun to play because of the blind shots. all holes there are interest and fun but my favorite holes would be the first the 6th 8th 10th 15th 18th. you will love new kent but stone house is the same concept but not quite as much of a modern course as new kent it has holes of both sides traditional and modern. you will have the most fun at new kent it is worth it. both are somewhat difficult courses and are long specially stone house. but if you are looking for an easier and shorter course go to kiskkiac which is not terribly easy nor hard. i go there and play if i feel in the mood for just a relaxing round of golf. however i love there designer.

all courses are in great condition expecially kiskiac prior form being in horrible condition last year

it also depends on your handycap if its low you will like new kent, if its mid you will like stone house, if its in your shoot in the high 80's or 90's you will like kiskiak

Golf in Williamsburg is fantastic..It's been a while since we've been down there, but we used to head down there a couple of times a year. Some fantastic courses. I remember when Stonehouse (previously a Legends course) was first built. There was nothing around it and it was just a slice of heaven... then they built houses, roads, etc.

Can't go wrong with any of the courses...Royal New Kent, the horseshoes, colonial, etc.

Titleist TSI3
Cobra Baffler
Callaway Apex MB 3-G w/ DG
Titleist SM8 54, 59 w/ DG
Odyssey butane Black Series i #1 w/ welded long neck

• 2 weeks later...

I worked at the Golden Horseshoe for 4 years and since then I have played a TON of golf courses. I know that I am partial to that course b/c of working there but I still believe it is the best layout of any course on the East Coast. It is an old school RTJ layout and I would certainly call it a must-play.

As far as MB goes, I would add Tidewater and The Dunes Club to your list if you can. Both are awesome. The Dunes Club is in my top 10, just a great RTJ re-do. Can you tell I like Robert Trent Jones?? They played Sr. Tour Events there up until a few years ago. It really is awesome!!

Have fun and good luck!

We are going to wait until Fall to play in Williamsburg. Thanks for all the recomendations!

We made reservations for MB:

staying at Legends, playing Barefoot Dye, TPC MB, Avocet and king's North. Tried to play the best courses the were pretty close together. The next time we'll play southern MB courses and the tie after that the northern courses. The first time I ever went to MB in 1996 I think we ended up driving all over the place! Playing Avocet to sneak in an extra round since it is on the way home!

• 3 months later...

I would agree...Royal New Kent is one of the hardest courses I have played....I shot a 93 this past Friday at RNC and it was one of my best golfing days ever. Had this been a flatter, more average course I could have shot in the low 80's ( I have only been playing since 2004)

I took 3.5 hours of playing lessons from Del Snyder at Golden Horseshoe last weekend and had a blast....Didnt get to play the gold course because I was there to learn. Williamsburg has a lot of great golf.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Just played at Colonial Heritage last week here's my review:

The course layout is fun, that is if you've played there before. This was my first outing there and there are A LOT of blind shots. More so than Royal New Kent for those that have been there. The course isn't overly long at about 6900 yards from the back tees. There are a couple tough tee shots on the back nine and overall a few tough holes but the rest of the course is relatively laid back.

The condition of the course must have gone down in the last year. The fairways weren't in the best shape - a bit spotty but not bad at all. The rough was even more patchy and there seems to be a couple of different random varieties of grass growing through the rough and sometimes into the fairway. The sand was beautiful however.

The greens had just been punched but they rolled out pretty well. There are some fun putts on these greens but overall I can't assume much about them because I haven't putted on them when they're in the best condition.

It may be that it was early April when I played and the course hadn't full "come back". To me it seemed that they just didn't have the money to spend to keep the course in the condition it calls for. Greens Fees and Cart fees totaled about $70 a person but the course was WIDE open on a Friday Afternoon (we played a SLOW 18 in 3:45). Additionally another set back was the fact that there was a lot of construction going on around the course and that was a bit frustrating.

All in all I'd rate this course a 6.5 out of 10 simply because of the condition vs. price aspect and the numerous construction sites around the course. If you can get over these the course is out there, can't see it getting busy at all and there are some really fun holes on the course.

Titleist TSR3 9 - Diamana GT 60 tx

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 tx

Mizuno Pro 223 $ Taper HT 130x

Vokey SM7 50F, 55S KBS Hi Rev 2.0 135x

Vokey SM9 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125x

Ping PLD Kushin 4/TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

I would agree that Spring Creek is a better course than just about anything in Williamsburg, although Golden Horseshoe Gold is a great course and Kingsmill River Course surprised me with how good it is. I thought it looked like a so-so course when I watched the A-B played there years ago, but it was fun to play.

I have not played Royal New Kent. I think Stonehouse is good but contrived. Colonial Heritage had way too many awkward holes for my taste. Williamsburg National is a little vanilla but eminently playable. Kiskiak is a lot of fun.

For a real treat, take the Jamestown ferry over to Surrey, eat at the Surry House and then play at Cypress Creek in Smithfield.

I think the best courses I've played in the state of Virginia are Upper Cascades, Bay Creek Palmer Course in Cape Charles on the eastern shore, Spring Creek, Golden Horseshoe, Stoney Creek at Wintergreen, Poplar Grove (same designer as Spring Creek), and the River Course at Kingsmill.

I think the best courses I've played in the state of Virginia are Upper Cascades, Bay Creek Palmer Course in Cape Charles on the eastern shore, Spring Creek, Golden Horseshoe, Stoney Creek at Wintergreen, Poplar Grove (same designer as Spring Creek), and the River Course at Kingsmill.

You might amend this list if you ever get the chance to play Primland, Kinloch, The Olde Farm or The Virginian.

WW