Junior Weight Training

ccpgolf

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bsnonline.net/products/products...id=834266002153 they have lots of good info there and i think bodybuilders.com and u can read about it it does work ill be getting this once i run out of my current one which i got as gift. but its definently helped me cause i can work on strength and golf at the same time

:crazy:

Nick

I feel that creatine is not really effective for golf training. This is entirely my opinion, but I it seems to make you more bulky, which is not really advantageous for a smooth, looswe swing. Lighter weights at higher reps, and lots of cables and work with free weights and balance boards and balance balls can do wonders for your golf game, without the use of supplements.

Also my own opinion but I must agree with LittleProV1x as I think some are concerned with using creatine to quicken recovery times but all that is necessary to ease sore muscles and keep limber after working out is a well developed stretching routine with golf-specific actions. From various professionals I have heard the process of "bulking up" frowned upon for golf as often flexibility is lost in the pursuit of an extra 15 lbs of muscle mass. Work with a trainer to develope a solid gym routine and any junior trying to work out for golf should be fine.

justin

Avoid creatine if you can. If you don't drink a lot of water, you will most likely be dehydrated which can lead to cramps and back problems. Creatine takes water from your body to hyper hydrate your muscle cells. You will gain muscle faster, but as soon as you stop taking it your muscles with loose the extra water and become mushy. The affect can lead to stretch marks and loose skin similar to that of someone who just lost a lot of weight. Again, as soon as you stop using it, your muscles will decreases in size, almost to the size that you were at before taking creatine. If you truly want to gain some muscle at your age, look into a simple protein shake, and learn how to do lifts properly without worrying about the weight that you lift.

Avoid creatine if you can. If you don't drink a lot of water, you will most likely be dehydrated which can lead to cramps and back problems. Creatine takes water from your body to hyper hydrate your muscle cells. You will gain muscle faster, but as soon as you stop taking it your muscles with loose the extra water and become mushy. The affect can lead to stretch marks and loose skin similar to that of someone who just lost a lot of weight. Again, as soon as you stop using it, your muscles will decreases in size, almost to the size that you were at before taking creatine. If you truly want to gain some muscle at your age, look into a simple protein shake, and learn how to do lifts properly without worrying about the weight that you lift.

Great Post! Very true.... Creatine is not very good for your body if you stop taking it. It also can lead to very bad skin problems on the face, etc at this age. I don't think creatine is the way to go especially for golfers.

Guys, if you juniors want to get into shape for golf. Look at the Human performance section on Clevelandgolf.com. Also, get yourself a stability ball and do whatever you can on it. You need to build a solid core (ie abs, obliques, lower back).

www.performbetter.com has equipment that may be useful for all of you.

-Jordan

you have got to be careful when taking creatine, take too much and you can have serious health problem. Creatine is certainly not the way to go if your still in high school becasue your body already makes creatine for itself and if you add more to that there can be an imbalance in your creatine levels and that can lead to serious health problems

Good Luck,

Eire

I go to the YMCA every Monday, Wednesday, Friday with my dad before I go to school. I use all the Cybex machines in the weight room. They are all upper body...deltoids, biceps, triceps, pecs, back-all that stuff. I've been doing this for about 2 months now. I think strength training really helps your golf swing. It's so much easier to make a consistent, repeatable swing. I don't really do lower body because I am pretty active and when I am at the golf course all day I walk about 4 or 5 miles. I do 3 sets, 10 reps for each machine. That is basically low weight, high reps because if I can do more than that I should be using more weight right?

During off season I'm working out at gym 5 days every week and do cardio (mostly rinning) two times. Average about 6-8 hours/week. In the summer I run 3-4 times and do some chins, dips, crunches and push ups to not loose too much strenght. I also try to improve my flexibility each time I do cardio. At the gym i do few (4-7) and fast (but controlled) reps to get exlposive muscles. This helped me get som extra yards with each club, but especially more control och my shots and I can practice golf for longer time without getting tired och risk injuries.

During off season I'm working out at gym 5 days every week and do cardio (mostly rinning) two times. Average about 6-8 hours/week. In the summer I run 3-4 times and do some chins, dips, crunches and push ups to not loose too much strenght. I also try to improve my flexibility each time I do cardio. At the gym i do few (4-7) and fast (but controlled) reps to get exlposive muscles. This helped me get som extra yards with each club, but especially more control och my shots and I can practice golf for longer time without getting tired och risk injuries.

There is a lot of mis- information in this thread (which is expected in a golf forum asking about nutrition) But this one made me laugh the most. Buddy I don't care where you read it , or who told you to do so, doing fast movements in the weight room is not going to make you have more fast-twitch muscles. Fast- twitch muscles is what "usually" performs your explosive movements and your not getting them in the weight room. Your going to gain more power by doing a slow rep in the 3 second up , 3 second down range.

______

Also about the creatine, I agree with the guys saying not to take it yet in high school. Just get you a good protein shake and thats all you need. Creatine volumizes the cell's thus creating the appearance of bigger body parts. You will gain mass during your creatine phase , but it will be due to the extra water in your system. IF you do decide to go ahead and take Creatine, aim for about 1 gallon of water per day. If you can not drink 3/4- 1 gallon of water per day then forget it.

Also the last thing and I do hope you do this at the very least. PLease don't just train your upper body, legs have importance in the swing as well, and the ladies don't want you having chicken legs.

There is a lot of mis- information in this thread (which is expected in a golf forum asking about nutrition) But this one made me laugh the most. Buddy I don't care where you read it , or who told you to do so, doing fast movements in the weight room is not going to make you have more fast-twitch muscles. Fast- twitch muscles is what "usually" performs your explosive movements and your not getting them in the weight room. Your going to gain more power by doing a slow rep in the 3 second up , 3 second down range.

Maybe I wrote it a little wrong. I'm not doing as fast as I can so the weight leave my hands! I's just so I feel it's a little faster up than down, maybe 2 up and 3 down.

great post! he is right if you want to take creatine look forward to health problems creatine hurts the kidneys and if you take creatine while you do alot of cardio you asking for serious health problems. creatine makes you bigger but it dosnet make you "cut" like camilio

i agree with the not taking creatine thing here i mean its just water weight. i no alot of friends that take it and dont workout and they end up just getting really big and it looks bad. in my opinion, just workout and as a freshman in highschool your gonna catch up. im a sophomore and i have the same problem and i was considering taking something to gain weight but i decided to just keep lifting and wait for my body to catch up

• 2 weeks later...

try this siteit gives you a 8 week start up plan then a 6 week power up plan then a season round maintanence plan its pretty good it works for me

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/golf-...t-training.html

I was looking at the site. looks like a good find. nice work.

-Dan

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

try this siteit gives you a 8 week start up plan then a 6 week power up plan then a season round maintanence plan its pretty good it works for me

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/golf-...t-training.html

I was looking at the site. looks like a good find. nice work.

-Dan

Very similar to the plan I am on, but gave me some new exercises, and I really like how they laid it out in 3 different sections. I made a big mistake last year of conditioning all winter long, boosting my SS and control way up, but haulted my going to the gym once the season started. I didn't really notice until mid-late summer that I was starting to lose yards and weight. Over the summer months I lost a good 10lbs of muscle mass and lean fat that I had worked so hard to gain the winter before. Thanks for pointing this site out, because I am not going to make the mistake of letting my winter training go down the tubes during the season.

This is key for you guys that are just starting going to the gym, just because you gain mass, does not mean you are going to keep it once you stop (a misconception I made). Keep up your routine so you don't lose what you worked so hard for during the offseason!