Harbour Town Golf Links

bwb

What can you tell me about Harbour Town? All you ever here is that it is a great course that is very narrow, with tiny greens. Just how narrow? Are we talking a little tight, or down right claustrophobic? I have watched the Heritage for years so I feel like I have an idea on the green size, but it is hard to get a sense for what the width is really like.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Claustrophobic. A guy on our team plays there a bunch. Lets just say that Bubba would have a tough time aiming there. This is why tiger doesnt play there because its so tight. Also, you have to be on a certain side of the fairway to have a shot at some of those greens. Its short so the narrowness is its only defense.

WITB:

Who knows?

I think its a fun course. There are a ton of houses on it like all the courses on Hilton Head Island, but somehow I don't think I hit it OB at all when I played there. 16-18 are definitely the highlight of the course. Theres a ton of pics that give some perspective from the tees and fairways on The Itinerant Golfer's website:

http://theitinerantgolfer.com/harbour-town-golf-links/

[quote name='bwb' timestamp='1361653073' post='6487689']
What can you tell me about Harbour Town? All you ever here is that it is a great course that is very narrow, with tiny greens. Just how narrow? Are we talking a little tight, or down right claustrophobic? I have watched the Heritage for years so I feel like I have an idea on the green size, but it is hard to get a sense for what the width is really like.
[/quote]

This is a one-of-a-kind golf course. Lots of fun, but only because it is so unique. Otherwise, it would be too much. It has the smallest greens you have ever seen. And you need to be on the correct side of the fairway, with the proper shaped shot, to even hit many of the greens. All of the holes play in the trees, except for 17 and 18, which go out towards the water.

Agree with the without 16-18 it would be average at best. The tee sheets are packed and it almost feels like your on a ride at disneyworld and less like you're playing golf. Our caddie was terrible and this could have led to a lot of the problems. Also got paired with a 25 handicap and a kid who just graduated from Haney's golf academy and must have shot 100. They allowed his parents and sister to ride around the course with us taking pictures of his every swing along the way. So putting this in perspective that's 4 golf carts driving around our round. With 2 playing golf and a caddie from jersey who wanted to talk more about helping get him a job and less about yardage.

With all that being said 18 might be one of the most fun environments to finish in all of golf.

[quote name='slats1221' timestamp='1361764411' post='6496585'] Agree with the without 16-18 it would be average at best. The tee sheets are packed and it almost feels like your on a ride at disneyworld and less like you're playing golf. Our caddie was terrible and this could have led to a lot of the problems. Also got paired with a 25 handicap and a kid who just graduated from Haney's golf academy and must have shot 100. They allowed his parents and sister to ride around the course with us taking pictures of his every swing along the way. So putting this in perspective that's 4 golf carts driving around our round. With 2 playing golf and a caddie from jersey who wanted to talk more about helping get him a job and less about yardage. With all that being said 18 might be one of the most fun environments to finish in all of golf. [/quote]

Apparently the PGA pros have a different stance. They have picked Harbour Town as their second favorite course to play right behind #1 Augusta, and ahead of renowned courses like Riviera and Pebble Beach. Oh course they only play the course and don't have parents and sisters riding along side taking pics either. When I played there we had a glorious time. No complaints.

• 3 weeks later...

I made it to Harbour Town a couple of days ago and it is an interesting course. I played with two other singles and we were the first of that morning. There as a light mist/rain when we stated that was suppose to clear up but never did. Two of us walked with Caddies and the 3[sup]rd[/sup] rode and we made it around in about 3 hours, only having to wait when we caught up with the maintenance crew moving pins. The course was in the middle of its transition from winter rye to bermuda so conditions were not as good as I hoped, and the because of all the rain the greens were a tad slower than what I would have expected. The greens are small. Compared to most resort / championship courses they are down right tiny. They have a lot of subtle movement and lots of short grass around them to make for interesting recovery options. I started this thread asking just how narrow was Harbour Town, and the answer is hard to describe. Standing on the tee you do not get an overwhelming sense of narrowness. It appears there is room to move the ball and still get it in play. The problem comes on the second shot. If you are not in the correct spot you have no shot at the green. This has the effect of making the playing corridors about half the size as they appear. For the typical 18 handicap that is just trying to get the second shot somewhere near the green these angles are not as problematic as they are for the single digit trying to score. I did enjoy the course and am glade I played, but for $200 plus caddy (another $100) I am not sure I would play it again.

I hear you. I end up playing HT about every three years. It seems to take about that long for the painful memories to subside and I start to think that maybe I should give it a go again. When I finish, I kick myself. I just don't enjoy the experience. I think it has more to do with the mandatory forecaddie and the cart path rules. It just doesn't feel right to me. There are a few holes where you stripe it down the left/middle and you curse because you know you are blocked out on the second shot. It's a nice course and it's great to play once just so you know it better when you see the tourney on tv but for the money, it just doesn't do it for me.

It is a little tight but like a lot of Dye courses there is always a miss. It may be a really tough miss though. A lot of tree branches that you have to watch out for.

The Sea Pines Resort is awesome for a vacay also, nice fishing in the area and Frosty Frogs.

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='HackerDave' timestamp='1363692829' post='6642089']
I hear you. I end up playing HT about every three years. It seems to take about that long for the painful memories to subside and I start to think that maybe I should give it a go again. When I finish, I kick myself. I just don't enjoy the experience. I think it has more to do with the mandatory forecaddie and the cart path rules. It just doesn't feel right to me. There are a few holes where you stripe it down the left/middle and you curse because you know you are blocked out on the second shot. It's a nice course and it's great to play once just so you know it better when you see the tourney on tv but for the money, it just doesn't do it for me.
[/quote]

What is stopping you from walking?

[quote name='gussie' timestamp='1363940466' post='6662697']
I've spent a few fab vacations in the sea pines area
Played harbour town a few times great course
Like old south played that a lot very fair course
My favourite part of Hilton head is in south beach
The Salty dog bar.Great spot to spend a few hours
[/quote]

100% agree with all of the above. And Old South is a relative bargain. The Salty Dog at night, on the deck, with the live music . . . a very nice way to contemplate the day's great round.

I played HT 3 years ago with my Dad, I was about a 15 handicap and now I'm a 5, my dad is scratch... I had a blast back then as a 15, shot 91, had to convice the caddy to play from the back tees and I'm glad we did, made the Par 3's a lot more enjoyable. Our caddy was great, read all of our putts and did a superb job. It was a little expensive, but you'll be happy you played it. Have fun

[quote name='CPSOX' timestamp='1363732413' post='6646201']
[/quote]

What is stopping you from walking?
[/quote]

The weather was pretty iffy so the bags were loaded down with rain gear, umbrellas, golf balls etc. It was our second round in 4 months!! I really wish I had anyway.

I have never had a chance to play ht but have played almost every course down there for the past 15 years. A hidden gem is Hilton head country club. They hold us open qualifiers there. It is a great course and always fun. The ocean course at sea pines is nice as well. Off the island eagle pointe is a nice track. Hopefully this summer I'll make it down and finally play ht. just to say I did.

[/quote]

Totally agree...I don't know what it is but it just doesn't feel like golf? Don't regret playing it but would probably not play it again unless the price came way down. Also I think you should walk it. The cart path only made me feel like I was riding on a conveyer belt through a golf course.