What to expect from desert golf?

I live in Wisconsin but will be playing for a week in the Phoenix area in April for the first time.

What can I expect from desert golf? I've already had a co-worker recommend a beater 7 iron for wayward shots hitting out of the desert. After watching the WGC match play it seems like I'm going to need it since it looks like even pros hit a lot of desert shots. I have no interest in hitting my regular clubs off of rocks.

Also, what can I expect from the greens? I'm used to nice bentgrass greens so I'm guessing the bermuda will be a shock to the system.

Any advice would be welcome.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends where you play.

Some courses, the desert is forgiving and not that bad...really nothing significant to clubs. But other courses will have rocks that can nick your club.

Greens are also dependent on where you play. Not sure why you would be shocked...greens at top courses are perfect and roll great.

Ball will run our longer due to the roll of course. Again, depending on the course the fairway may be firmer.

This time of year they water the greens for all the out of towners, so no real issue with check up.

Those are the general items. Again, dependent on where you play.

Greens are not going to be hard as rocks like most people think, but they will be harder then your average Wisconsin summer green.

Lots of roll, a lot more roll then you'll be used to, so make sure to check doglegs, etc. so you don't run into the desert.

Last year I brought down brand new TM MB's and played off the desert and only had very small nicks that if they really bothered me could easily be sanded out.

Expect coldish mornings turning into really warm afternoons that time of year. Layer up!

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1362272709' post='6535985']
[quote name='Arizonalefty59' timestamp='1362263153' post='6535275']
There's honestly not a lot of courses that are like Dove Mountain.
[/quote]

So most Arizona courses don't basically go from fairway to desert?
[/quote]

With a few exceptions, most courses built since the mid-80's are target style courses with native desert surrounds, like what you saw at Dove Mtn. There are some old school parkland courses and some all turf real estate courses resembling the Florida style, but if you are coming to Arizona, why not experience Arizona golf? There are wide variations in how severe the off-turf terrain is, some courses you are lucky if it's playable if you can find it, others not so bad with the desert areas somewhat groomed and maintained. The courses built on tribal lands don't face the turf restrictions that other courses do, so some of them are a bit more generous. We-ko-pa Saguaro offers a fair amount of width and is a very scenic course with a great deal of design interest.

In April, for the most part, you will be playing on bermuda greens that have been overseeded with ryegrass.

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1362272709' post='6535985']
[quote name='Arizonalefty59' timestamp='1362263153' post='6535275']
There's honestly not a lot of courses that are like Dove Mountain.
[/quote]

So most Arizona courses don't basically go from fairway to desert?
[/quote]
Usually only resort courses go from fairway to desert.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1362279296' post='6536487']
but if you are coming to Arizona, why not experience Arizona golf?
[/quote]

I don't mind at all. Different is good. I was just wondering what to expect. I'm a fairly straight hitter off the tee so I think I'll have a good time either way.

Being a Mid-Western kid it's a cool change of pace to play desert golf, I sometimes forget to drink enough water as its dry and water gets sucked out of you. I obviously wouldn't be crawling under any brush looking for balls...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Where are you playing? I can give you a better idea of what to expect because there are different types of courses out here. Like TJY said plenty of options from pure desert like Wekopa to more of a parkland style Papago or Keirland, to housing development target style desert tracks like Legend Trail, Troon etc.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Your friend was right about the desert club and whenever you head off the green grass, take a club even if you are looking for a playing partner's ball, you can easily walk right up on a snake.

Also, we had a buddy who moved out there and when we went out to play him, he would putt just about everything short of the green, up to about 10 yds away.

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1362364607' post='6541985']
Where are you playing? I can give you a better idea of what to expect because there are different types of courses out here. Like TJY said plenty of options from pure desert like Wekopa to more of a parkland style Papago or Keirland, to housing development target style desert tracks like Legend Trail, Troon etc.
[/quote]

I'm playing one day with a client at his country club. Other than that, I'm open to anything, but I don't plan on paying more than $150 for a round of golf. But I don't mind playing afternoon or twilight golf to get better rates. I'd also be playing as a single since my father doesn't play much and my son is too young to play.

[quote name='rekalj' timestamp='1362365285' post='6542067']
Your friend was right about the desert club and whenever you head off the green grass, take a club even if you are looking for a playing partner's ball, you can easily walk right up on a snake.
[/quote]

In addition to the snakes, be very aware of jumping cholla cactus. Those bastards are nasty.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

My top picks to experience the best Phoenix area desert golf would be any of the following

Wekopa Saguaro: Pure desert golf wide fairways no real forced carries on the course, My favorite course here. Coore/Crenshaw masterpiece

Troon North Pinnacle 1B in my book great setting even though surrounded by million dollar homes great views and great course to play

Grayhawk Raptor Former Site of the Fry's Tournament, a bit more target golf

Boulders South, Just like the name implies course is set amongst some outstanding natural boulder formations

Vista Verde, Was planned as a housing development course but the development stalled in the real estate crash so it is currently an open desert course and one of my regular places to play. Wide fairways with tricky elevated green complexes.

Southern Dunes More of a natural desert layout with tons of bunkers, prob about as close as Bandon Dunes as we would get in the desert. One of the tougher tracks out here, About 45 min or so south of central phoenix

Easier on the budget but still good tracks to experience desert golf

Longbow

Golf Club of Estrella

Raven at Verrado

Eagle Mountain

Sun Ridge Canyon

Legend Trail

TPC Champions (not Stadium)

Here is a handy link with more info on many of the courses
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/179150-traveling-to-phoenixsome-course-info-for-you/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...e-info-for-you/[/url]

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1362414084' post='6544551']
[quote name='mark092974' timestamp='1362411969' post='6544373']
After a certain time of year I wouldn't chase anything out of the fairway, I also have a insane fear of snakes.
[/quote]

I do concealed carry (even when golfing) so I'm not worried. A couple of .40 slugs should terminate the threat.
[/quote]

LOL. If you can unholster and hit a striking rattler with a side arm, you're one good shot. And fast too.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

I'm a big fan of desert golf, with my favorite locations being Palm Desert CA and Scottsdale. My part of Texas is more like Louisiana than West Texas, so golf in the desert is an escape for me. As a bent grass player you'll find that putts will break with the grain of the grass (including some that may break slightly uphill) unlike bent grass (which grows vertically instead of horizontally) and to the west late in the day as the grass will tend to follow the sun. You'll also likely find that bermuda rough is a little more difficult from which to escape.

Enjoy your trip!

What I found coming from Illinois. The greens were hard and probably the fastest I have ever played. However, they were very true and very fair. Once I was used to them, I could read them very well, much easier than midwestern greens. Although they were hard, they held pretty well, maybe not midwest spring well (soggy!) but clearly they were well watered and well maintained. Nothing I hit with a short iron did not hold. I really didn't have a lot of longer irons to greens, so that may change a bit. Spend a half hour at the range, and putting greens and you'll adjust. It was by far my best short game round of the year despite it being the fastest surface.

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1362252384' post='6534333']
I live in Wisconsin but will be playing for a week in the Phoenix area in April for the first time.

What can I expect from desert golf? I've already had a co-worker recommend a beater 7 iron for wayward shots hitting out of the desert. After watching the WGC match play it seems like I'm going to need it since it looks like even pros hit a lot of desert shots. I have no interest in hitting my regular clubs off of rocks.

Also, what can I expect from the greens? I'm used to nice bentgrass greens so I'm guessing the bermuda will be a shock to the system.

Any advice would be welcome.
[/quote]

Couple of things to consider -

I wouldn't hit out of the desert there are too many rocks and snakes in there. I've played a lot of different golf courses in PHX and it will really depend on where your're playing. If you play the usual suspects - TPC, Grayhawk, Troon, We Ko Pa, etc...expect to lose balls unless you hit 80-90% of your fairways. Even if you do find them you probably won't want to or be able to play them.

It's definitely different in terms of the visual off the tee. Target golf (and I would argue there are a lot of target style courses - at least the ones worth playing) is more challenging but the aesthetics are what make them (IMHO) more appealing.

I never had an issue with greens - I'm a NE guy and play on all kinds of surfaces (mainly bent) but you won't notice much of a diffference. Chipping and rough might be a little different for you though.

Set your expectations and you'll enjoy yourself. My recommendations would be to def play We Ko Pa and Grayhawk. Skip TPC (boring) and the Marriott course. Troon is ok - immaculate conditions but way overpriced. Decent golf but not at $200 round. I have a lot of locals recommend Vista Verde too?? Don't know much about it but it gets good reviews for the $.

Have fun - that's a great time of year to go.

In my time living out here I haven't seen one rattle snake and my house is right up against a mountain, I do however get ALOT of scorpions.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

Thanks for the comments gents. BTW - I was kidding about the concealed carry. While golfing that is. Once a Marine, always a Marine.

I have another question - Are there any courses near Surprise with a really nice practice green? I'm a putterhead and can spend hours putting (and plan to do so).

I'm glad to hear the greens can be fast. When I think Bermuda I think slow and shaggy.

[quote name='YMark' timestamp='1362368241' post='6542385']
[quote name='rekalj' timestamp='1362365285' post='6542067']
[/quote]

In addition to the snakes, be very aware of jumping cholla cactus. Those bastards are nasty.
[/quote]

+1 on that. A friend took a video of me trying to pull one off of my right hand. Had to use a sandwedge to pin it to the ground and yank it off. They have barbs.

If you have an older sand wedge. I would recommend bringing it. If you are a bit wayward, you will hit it in the desert and there will be a rocky lie. It's nice to not have to worry about a ding in a new club. I've had some doozies out there.