2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Taylormade Japan Only Driver

idrive

Thought there was a thread on this already but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, was wondering if everyone knew about the NEW construction of this

bad boy. It is without question a step into the unknown.

It utilizes a 70 layer graphite composite and thermostat urethane face. It's a multi Layer Flex face known as Limitless Technology.. Thats right the face isn't made of Titanium! Taylormade says this tech has been 10 years in the making.

Wonder how long before this technology comes to the usdm if it ever does....

Admittedly I'm not a TM fan but this is pretty cool. This driver is now available as the 2013

release known as the Gloire. I'm thinking of getting one and the R1 to compare them side

by side and see if one is any better than the other.

Technology marches on

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really, really curious if the tech lives up to it's billing here. I hope some people jump on it so we can really see where TM wants to take this tech.

As an aside, it's been something I've been wondering about since the CallaWRX trip that members did. In it, they brought a quote back from Dr. Hocknell that talked about how they were able to strech the metal on the Razr Extreme face further then they thought. While it sounded neat at the time, I wondered if that meant they were at the end of maximizing ball speed on off center hits with titanium technology.

If this material works as TM suggests, we might have just hit the next big tech upgrade for drivers and what designers can do with weight manipulation and spring effect across the entirety of the face. Very, very cool.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1363205665' post='6605975']
I bet the price point on this baby will be insane!!!
[/quote]

Right now about $200 more than an R1 w/Oban. Maybe even less.

As Gomer would say, surprise surprise :)

Not that far off. And with most new hi tech stuff the price should start to come
down.

Edit after seeing post above, dang near the same or less...

If the translator worked right, the GL 450 is 46.75", GL 550 46.25. To quote Gomer again....Shazaam!

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='Vegaman' timestamp='1363348984' post='6615889']
[quote name='xxio' timestamp='1363213853' post='6606815']
Locally SE Asia, it looks to be US$700
[/quote]

Here in Thailand I have only seen the standard Ti face Gloire, and the "cheapest" I've seen is 1000 dollars. The Reserve, I haven't even seen yet.
[/quote]

Thats what I was quoted street price, plus may be another $70 shipping. Could be the exchange rate. My currency has been pretty strong against the US$ the past year.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1363388071' post='6619761']
[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1363306085' post='6613625']
$730 to $900 on Rakuten depending on which seller you choose
[/quote]

That's a little bit better of a price, I guess....
[/quote]

The Mrs would shoot me, but I really want one to really put it through it's testing paces and see what the tech can do.

[quote name='Llortamaisey' timestamp='1363407274' post='6621951']
My Japanese is a little rusty. I lost my Rosetta Stone. Can anyone give me the Cliff Clavin notes on the tech?
[/quote]

Effectively the non metal face has let them
A: Give you a bigger face
B: Greater ball speed on vertically missed shots

Supposidly more of a snappier feel.

I'm not sure what I expect of version 1, but if TM and others can really nail down this tech I think it could be really neat and the next tech step up in drivers since titanium.

[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1363410209' post='6622163']
My Japanese is a little rusty. I lost my Rosetta Stone. Can anyone give me the Cliff Clavin notes on the tech?
[/quote]

I'm not sure what I expect of version 1, but if TM and others can really nail down this tech I think it could be really neat and the next tech step up in drivers since titanium.
[/quote]

I agree that new materials are the next big thing in driver tech. What is the face exactly made from if its not metal?

[quote name='Llortamaisey' timestamp='1363410617' post='6622189']
[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1363410209' post='6622163']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree that new materials are the next big thing in driver tech. What is the face exactly made from if its not metal?
[/quote]

Graphite composite and thermostat urethane. High end graphite as well, 70t I believe.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1363441866' post='6623123']
I'd be interested in hearing how this driver sounds when you pure one. Very intriguing tech!!!
[/quote]
I have had one for awhile. THe sound and feel is a throwback. It is very soft, feels like balata and persimmon. Here is the weird part. For some reason one of the worst performing balls of all time off the driver, the Titleist SO LO goes miles off this head. I cant explain it. My gamer ball the HX BLACK is just average with this driver. Over all its a forgiving club, but at this point I like the 2012 Glorie better as I had more time to dial it in. I am still experimenting with the Reserve. THe sleeve is compatable with all Taylor models except the R1, and stage 2. As a result I have tried several shafts in this head, that have been gamers in other Taylormade setups. The best setup has been the stock tipped .75 inches to get the length back to 46.00 instead of 46.5 and PROJECT X BLUE GRAPHITE 6.0. THe 2012 Glorie, the best shaft ended up being a Crazy 513 PROTO S. That combo is a money setup for me. HOwever in the Reserve it just wasnt a good match. My goal was to get ADams L LAB distance with COBRA ZL\ PING G25 forgiveness. So far the 2012 Glorie is the closest, but falls short in headwind conditions.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1363906511' post='6660365']
[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1363886833' post='6658233']
I would be impressed by affordable new technology. Anyone can make expensive technology, IMO.
[/quote]

I hear you on that. R&D is expensive and is what we are paying for when these new clubs come out.
[/quote]

When the 1st Titanium drivers came out GBB, Burner, TI Bubble, they were $500 back in the mid 90s. If this becomes more mainstream the cost will come down.

[quote name='driverhead' timestamp='1363885800' post='6658113']
I'd be interested in hearing how this driver sounds when you pure one. Very intriguing tech!!!
[/quote]
I have had one for awhile. THe sound and feel is a throwback. It is very soft, feels like balata and persimmon. Here is the weird part. For some reason one of the worst performing balls of all time off the driver, the Titleist SO LO goes miles off this head. I cant explain it. My gamer ball the HX BLACK is just average with this driver. Over all its a forgiving club, but at this point I like the 2012 Glorie better as I had more time to dial it in. I am still experimenting with the Reserve. THe sleeve is compatable with all Taylor models except the R1, and stage 2. As a result I have tried several shafts in this head, that have been gamers in other Taylormade setups. The best setup has been the stock tipped .75 inches to get the length back to 45.75 instead of 46.5 and PROJECT X BLUE GRAPHITE 6.0. THe 2012 Glorie, the best shaft ended up being a Crazy 513 PROTO S. That combo is a money setup for me. HOwever in the Reserve it just wasnt a good match. My goal was to get ADams L LAB distance with COBRA ZL\ PING G25 forgiveness. So far the 2012 Glorie is the closest, but falls short in headwind conditions.
[/quote]

Any chance we could see some real pictures of your driver? I would love to see it in a different format than the ads on TM Japan site.

[quote name='03trdblack' timestamp='1363917268' post='6661309']
[/quote]
I have had one for awhile. THe sound and feel is a throwback. It is very soft, feels like balata and persimmon. Here is the weird part. For some reason one of the worst performing balls of all time off the driver, the Titleist SO LO goes miles off this head. I cant explain it. My gamer ball the HX BLACK is just average with this driver. Over all its a forgiving club, but at this point I like the 2012 Glorie better as I had more time to dial it in. I am still experimenting with the Reserve. THe sleeve is compatable with all Taylor models except the R1, and stage 2. As a result I have tried several shafts in this head, that have been gamers in other Taylormade setups. The best setup has been the stock tipped .75 inches to get the length back to 45.75 instead of 46.5 and PROJECT X BLUE GRAPHITE 6.0. THe 2012 Glorie, the best shaft ended up being a Crazy 513 PROTO S. That combo is a money setup for me. HOwever in the Reserve it just wasnt a good match. My goal was to get ADams L LAB distance with COBRA ZL\ PING G25 forgiveness. So far the 2012 Glorie is the closest, but falls short in headwind conditions.
[/quote]

Any chance we could see some real pictures of your driver? I would love to see it in a different format than the ads on TM Japan site.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='03trdblack' timestamp='1363917268' post='6661309']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

It will take me awhile to set it up but as a stop gap this youtube link has a good view .

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76XcQmdjiJo[/media]

The featherweight shaft with mid kick point, minimum 4.5[b]° [/b]torque and over 46" length is likely contributing quite a bit to any increased distance claims. Just like the Honma ARMRQ shaft (4 star grade quality) can add 30 yards to the same head over a one star grade ARMRQ. The shaft is definitely made exclusively for the Japanese market.

It's unbelievable how different the ball flight is. At first, you're sure it was just one of those perfect swings with perfect contact, but you get the same result swing after swing. Yes, you can buy a golf game. It costs about $33 per yard. You can buy 30 more yards for $1,000. I've seen Japanese guys pushing 70 years old hit 280 yard "technology drives."

Taylormade is a small-to-medium strong brand in Japan. They are nowhere near as strong as they are in the U.S. market and this looks like a marketing investment to capture some of Honma's customer base. I don't think it will be marketed outside Japan for quite a while, if ever.

I'd like to try it, so I'll keep my eyes open for a demo day near me.