2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1389470974' post='8442249']
[quote name='gallas2' timestamp='1389455242' post='8441099']
[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1389410055' post='8439245']
I would have to assume a great ball-striker will receive the most benefit from the G25's, or any club for that matter assuming all the "fitting" nuances are out of the way. I'm not a bad ball striker myself, and the G25's are IMO better than the I20's, and probably for intrinsic reasons, better to me than most other sets (could have been the shaft). However, I played several rounds with KBS tour shafted G25's vs. my 1988 Hogan Redlines which didn't result in any change in score. Off-center hits were [i]slightly [/i]longer right or left. but still in the rough, or shorter depending upon the area hit on the face, and half the time the "shorter" shots actually saved me from bunkers. Plus, my Hogan's just felt more comfortable when pitching or chipping on the greens. Most of my approach shots were under 160 on +400 yd par 4's which seemed to diminish the "help" normally attributed to the G25's. Just me though. Still very nice set of clubs.
[/quote]

It is usually the Indian not the arrow...I took my i5s out for a spin on New Year's Day and was under my cap. Played twice on vacation with my ten year old G2's and was around my cap with no driver in the bag. I've said it before ...the G25s are maybe worth one shot a round....which is enough for me and my fragile ego to think is enough.
[/quote]

You may be right "worth one shot a round". In reality that one shot gets lost with the 99% of other shots hit, so not sure how anyone really calculates "benefit" per se.
[/quote]

There is NO practical way of measuring how many shots per round a more forgiving club will save you (or not). It's very difficult to postulate what "WOULD have happened if" even if you tried to keep track.

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

Ive just got G25 3 and 4 irons, very happy with them. 5.6 UK hcp, quite a decent ball striker. There irons are hybrid replacements as i cant hit them. Interestingly, i have a hard time getting these to fly really high or balloon. Same set up as my i20s but have a much better flight even though i appear to be a high spin player on the launch monitor. Great off the tee.

I had a hard time getting used to the wider sole but got used to it after a few holes. Gonna be interesting how these clubs work of hard ground in the summer but to be honest, if i need 3 or 4 iron anything other than off the tee in the summer there is something seriously wrong!

In short, great hybrid replacement for the better player.

Ping Anser 10.5 Reg
Ping G 5 Wood @ 18.5
Ping Rapture 2 Iron
Ping G30 hybrid 22 degree
Ping G30 hybrid 26 degree
Ping I20 6-UW. Silver dot, PX 5.5,
TM spider Ghost.
Ping Glide 1.0 54* SS. Silver dot.
Ping Gorge 60* SS. Yellow dot.

I was prepared to buy a set of s55's when I found a set of G25's on e-bay with DG TI X-100'S. I then found this post and decided to go ahead and join the G25 party. I play to a 2 hcp so this topic really intrigues me. Who can't use a little extra forgiveness, right? I have been playing Titleist CB 712's and hitting them decent. When I saw the s55's I had to hit them. They look and perform amazingly well by the way! I would even say that the s55's are incredible from a looks and feel standpoint. This post has single handedly put my s55 purchase on permanent hold. After reading this forum I just have to give the G25's a go. I hope they will be in the bag for a while. Once I have a chance to get them to the range, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this topic (I think).

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1389585196' post='8450145']
I would have to assume a great ball-striker will receive the most benefit from the G25's, or any club for that matter assuming all the "fitting" nuances are out of the way. I'm not a bad ball striker myself, and the G25's are IMO better than the I20's, and probably for intrinsic reasons, better to me than most other sets (could have been the shaft). However, I played several rounds with KBS tour shafted G25's vs. my 1988 Hogan Redlines which didn't result in any change in score. Off-center hits were [i]slightly [/i]longer right or left. but still in the rough, or shorter depending upon the area hit on the face, and half the time the "shorter" shots actually saved me from bunkers. Plus, my Hogan's just felt more comfortable when pitching or chipping on the greens. Most of my approach shots were under 160 on +400 yd par 4's which seemed to diminish the "help" normally attributed to the G25's. Just me though. Still very nice set of clubs.
[/quote]

It is usually the Indian not the arrow...I took my i5s out for a spin on New Year's Day and was under my cap. Played twice on vacation with my ten year old G2's and was around my cap with no driver in the bag. I've said it before ...the G25s are maybe worth one shot a round....which is enough for me and my fragile ego to think is enough.
[/quote]

You may be right "worth one shot a round". In reality that one shot gets lost with the 99% of other shots hit, so not sure how anyone really calculates "benefit" per se.
[/quote]

There is NO practical way of measuring how many shots per round a more forgiving club will save you (or not). It's very difficult to postulate what "WOULD have happened if" even if you tried to keep track.
[/quote]

I feel the best way to approach the clubs is "do they fill a weak spot in your bag"? I am a fairly straight driver with respectable length, below average putter, great short game (excluding putting) and I strike my irons like an idiot. So being able to clank these irons all over the club face and now hitting a green rather than missing it is worth well over a shot a round for me. If you hit your irons well but can't drive it on the planet, no these things won't transform your game. Gotta be honest with yourself here guys...

When I first got these clubs I was hitting 14-15+ greens a round which is amazing for me.

Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

[quote name='J-Tizzle' timestamp='1389712674' post='8458179']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I feel the best way to approach the clubs is "do they fill a weak spot in your bag"? I am a fairly straight driver with respectable length, below average putter, great short game (excluding putting) and I strike my irons like an idiot. So being able to clank these irons all over the club face and now hitting a green rather than missing it is worth well over a shot a round for me. If you hit your irons well but can't drive it on the planet, no these things won't transform your game. Gotta be honest with yourself here guys...

When I first got these clubs I was hitting 14-15+ greens a round which is amazing for me.
[/quote]

....also I said "may be" worth one shot a round......let's not get caught up in semantics.

The handicap system does a pretty good job of measuring performance and I've gone from 11 to 8 and stayed around 8 for a quite some time. Anecdotal evidence tells me they are helping......like when I hit a six iron off the toe and end up on the green vs. short and right.

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

[quote name='gallas2' timestamp='1389715088' post='8458449']
[quote name='J-Tizzle' timestamp='1389712674' post='8458179']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

....also I said "may be" worth one shot a round......let's not get caught up in semantics.

The handicap system does a pretty good job of measuring performance and I've gone from 11 to 8 and stayed around 8 for a quite some time. Anecdotal evidence tells me they are helping......like when I hit a six iron off the toe and end up on the green vs. short and right.
[/quote]

Thats by far the biggest difference for me, I don't miss a lot of greens with wedges and my short Irons, but when I got into that 5-7 iron (sometimes 8) I might miss the green by 20 yards, which now if I make the worst swing of the day they're on the edge of a green rather than a hazard 20 yards away, lol.

The worst thing about these clubs is it makes me feel like my putting is a lot worse than it is because I have so many more 2 putt pars...

Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

[quote name='Korndog' timestamp='1389667666' post='8455831']
I was prepared to buy a set of s55's when I found a set of G25's on e-bay with DG TI X-100'S. I then found this post and decided to go ahead and join the G25 party. I play to a 2 hcp so this topic really intrigues me. Who can't use a little extra forgiveness, right? I have been playing Titleist CB 712's and hitting them decent. When I saw the s55's I had to hit them. They look and perform amazingly well by the way! I would even say that the s55's are incredible from a looks and feel standpoint. This post has single handedly put my s55 purchase on permanent hold. After reading this forum I just have to give the G25's a go. I hope they will be in the bag for a while. Once I have a chance to get them to the range, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this topic (I think).
[/quote]

Welcome to the cheaters club, club. That is what many others have refered to the G25 irons as. Reading this thread when it was first put up by instant offense got me curious then excited then I hit them and it ended up costing me money. Well worth it as I needed to come to the reality that if scratch and better players are saying they like them and they help then why not me.

Did you read this whole thread from start to finish. If so you are probably dieing to play some golf with them, as likely to happen where you live as where I do. Oh how I wish it was spring.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[quote]
The worst thing about these clubs is it makes me feel like my putting is a lot worse than it is because I have so many more 2 putt pars...
[/quote]

That's a good point ....and now that I think about it I fall into that category as well. My course has small well protected greens and a lot of them are raised. It's tough to tell sometimes if you have hit the green. There's nothing better than walking up thinking you are buried in the sand and seeing your ball 25 feet away on the green.

Well, based on my experience with the G25's (among others) I can attest to them being excellent clubs for ANYONE. I drove the ball between 260-290 10/12 in the fairway when I played with the G25's. So for me, that day, the G25's ability to "help" didn't come into play vs. my Hogan Apex's due to shorter approaches. No club can help me with line-up issues, adjusting for uphill shots, side hill shots, etc. I don't shoot for pins but instead calculate the distance to the center of the green, and width of the green. If a green is 20 yds front/back, then I have a plus/minus 10 yd comfort zone. If it's 30 wide, I've got 15 yards each way to miss and still be on in two. So for a 130 approach, I pulled the G25 PW, if it sailed 140 then ok, if 120 ok. If it went wide 15, still ok. So my allowable rate of dispersion negates much of the G25's offer to help me "cheat"..LOL. Not precision I know, but this approach sure takes the pressure off the shot, and plays to percentages. My Apex 9 iron can be plus minus about 10 yards long/short, or +/- 15 yards wide. Really? If someone is hitting 8-9-PW's more than 15 wide the lineup or some other issue is at work. Weekend warriors often gun for ridiculously placed pins, expecting perfection, and will complain about any irons that don't accommodate dumb expectations. So for me, I don't ask the G25, the Hogan's, or any club to be "perfect", but instead be relatively consistent in distance and dispersion left/right with my [i]particular [/i]swing. Also, I am simply not good enough in my pre-shot routine to [i]adjust [/i]for a [i]yet to occur, [/i]"off-center" but "straighter" hit with any club. IMO it's a little presumptuous for one to conclude a particular shot would have been "[i]more right[/i]" with some other club.. For me, I simply can't go through a mental [i]rolodex [/i]looking for everything that "might" occur in my pre-shot routine. I'd probably shank the ball and hit my friend in the leg...LOL!

I'm a weirdo because I don't carry a fork-lift load of wedges around, just SW. So, I stick with my PW for a majority of my chips/pitches to allow use of one club...kinda like Hogan with his Equalizer, and I see others in forums talking about dumping some specialized wedges. I hit a 52* about 115, a SW (56) about 105, and 60* about 75 yards. The benefit of more precision with certain wedges, heights, distances, etc, creates [i]more [/i]variables [i]for me [/i]by having to adjust to different feeling clubs, like a 52/54/58/60 during a round. I don't have that level of precision vs. simply adjusting to two...PW & SW. All kinds of arguments against this approach...LOL. So, for me, the G25 felt "[i]less comfortable[/i]" because the PW appears bulkier (especially compared to my Forged SW which [i]looks and feels [/i]much more "in family" with my Hogan Apex E). The G25 promotes more anxiety that I'll hit the ball "too far" or with less spin/check-up (tour players would probably have no problem!). My wedge choices and approach to playing the percentages by hitting to the centers of greens certainly slants my review of these and other irons.

None

I know this is a G25 thread, but well, all of the G's are similar anyway...I recently picked up a new set of G15's with CFS stiff shafts from GPP, and was able to get them out for a couple of hours this past weekend due to some snow melting and more mild weather. I think I am really going to like this combo. I have played G5's with CS Lite R flex, and G15's and Rapture V2 irons with AWT R flex. Never really got along great with any of those shafts.

Enter the CFS, which from reading on WRX, I determined was a good shaft, albeit a bit weak to flex. That was music to my ears, as I like uniflex, b/w stiff and regular. Anyway, getting out this past weekend, the CFS stiff felt great with the G15's. Long, high, straight shots. Not much more I can ask for. I had recently demo'd G25's with the CFS regular, and those did feel too soft for me. Hooked a good number of shots with the CFS regulars.

Anyway, glad to see that I should hopefully enjoy the G's with the CFS stiff, and looking forward to giving these a good run this upcoming season.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* Driver, GD Tour AD HD-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Epic Flash TC 5 Wood, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade QI Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

PXG Battle Ready 2 One & Done PN Putter

I absolutely love my G25's. They are definitely the best irons that I have played to date. They are point and shoot clubs with nice forgiveness and still maintains some level of workability. I was thinking about doing a mix bag of G25's and i20's, but ended up just sticking with the G25's. And I'm glad I did. I just have such confidence in these irons. Also, I just love the finish. I've had mine nearly a year now, play every week, and these have held up better than I could have ever hoped for.

Also, in my humble opinion, the stock CFS shafts are great. I normally play KBS shafts, and I "wanted" to get them in the G25's, but after more than 4 sessions hitting CFS shafts vs. the KBS shafts, the CFS shafts were the better shaft for me. I never would have thought that, but the numbers don't lie.

Ping G410 plus Tour65 S
PING G410 3w Tour 75 S
PING G410 hybrids: 18*, 22* & 26* TENSEI PRO BLUE 80 GR S
[PING G410 irons: 6 - U Nippon MODUS³ Tour 105
PING Glide 3.0 Wedges: 54* SS, & 60* SS

Scott Cameron Fastback 2.0
Member of TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1389715530' post='8458521']
[quote name='Korndog' timestamp='1389667666' post='8455831']
[/quote]

Welcome to the cheaters club, club. That is what many others have refered to the G25 irons as. Reading this thread when it was first put up by instant offense got me curious then excited then I hit them and it ended up costing me money. Well worth it as I needed to come to the reality that if scratch and better players are saying they like them and they help then why not me.

Did you read this whole thread from start to finish. If so you are probably dieing to play some golf with them, as likely to happen where you live as where I do. Oh how I wish it was spring.
[/quote]

Yeah, I read about the first five pages of the thread, immediately used the BIN option on the G25s, and then finished reading the thread. Now I cannot wait to get them out and give them a go. I fluctuate between a 2 and a 5 hcp. My iron play has always been spotty. I'm hoping the extra forgiveness can save me a shot or two. I admit I am a little worried about the looks and the offset, but we shall see. Spring, please come soon!

Another one! NON-G25 owners run! Run while you can before it gets you too!

We need to start a list, an embarrassingly long one I think that would include me, of people who did not own G25s before reading this thread, lol.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Yes well I asked whether an upgrade was warranted from my current G5's and the answer was a pretty firm yes. So I have jumped on board too. Got 3 iron to uw with cfs reg on the way to me now. Mine are new so they will go in the bag and stay there I would think from the way they have been experienced by nearly everyone who has contributed here.

Oops, you have G5's...my bad. Did you hit the G25's vs. your G5's? I recall the G5's being great clubs. I'm always curious as to why people switch, other than for fun which for me I'm a stupid-a** that hasn't seen a club he didn't like! Just FYI, I did hit a Wilson Staff Ci11 7 iron out here at Roger Dunn, regular shaft, on the same computer, vs. most every new club offered on the market right now. That Ci11 7 iron won the prize for longest hit (for me), went 192. I was surprised as it was the cheapest set at Roger Dunn. Just FYI for others looking for new clubs.

None

[quote name='Donno' timestamp='1389756912' post='8463037']
Oops, you have G5's...my bad. Did you hit the G25's vs. your G5's? I recall the G5's being great clubs. I'm always curious as to why people switch, other than for fun which for me I'm a stupid-a** that hasn't seen a club he didn't like! Just FYI, I did hit a Wilson Staff Ci11 7 iron out here at Roger Dunn, regular shaft, on the same computer, vs. most every new club offered on the market right now. That Ci11 7 iron won the prize for longest hit (for me), went 192. I was surprised as it was the cheapest set at Roger Dunn. Just FYI for others looking for new clubs.
[/quote]
Yes I have hit the g25 7 iron at a store. I wanted to feel what the cfs shaft felt like. The feel of the club was very solid and smooth. I felt like I could load the shaft with no problems so they are a goer from that point of veiw. Yes the G5's are great clubs and I could go on playing them for sure.
Many on here have talked about ping refining their designs over time. This is really my reason for switching. Refining of the sole design for better turf interaction etc. I expect I will find they are better,even if it's just a little. It's not really about the cost it is about finding the optimum tools so I can score as best as I can.
Oh and like anybody else I like new clubs!

[quote name='Kratus977' timestamp='1389742092' post='8461335']
I absolutely love my G25's. They are definitely the best irons that I have played to date. They are point and shoot clubs with nice forgiveness and still maintains some level of workability. I was thinking about doing a mix bag of G25's and i20's, but ended up just sticking with the G25's. And I'm glad I did. I just have such confidence in these irons. Also, I just love the finish. I've had mine nearly a year now, play every week, and these have held up better than I could have ever hoped for.

Also, in my humble opinion, the stock CFS shafts are great. I normally play KBS shafts, and I "wanted" to get them in the G25's, but after more than 4 sessions hitting CFS shafts vs. the KBS shafts, the CFS shafts were the better shaft for me. I never would have thought that, but the numbers don't lie.
[/quote]

+1. People think because it is a stock shaft its no good. I love the cfs and it is well suited to the g25. I do find it a little soft (87 mph 6 iron smooth transition divot taker).

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1389751700' post='8462399']

We need to start a list, an embarrassingly long one I think that would include me, of people who did not own G25s before reading this thread, lol.
[/quote]

They make the game more fun imho. I went out today in 48 degrees to play nine. Hit 6 greens 4 iron down to uw. Took $2 off my four hcp buddy.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1389751700' post='8462399']

[/quote]

Add me to that list also ... just placed my order 2 days ago. 5-UW CFS S.

Half the clubs, twice the fun!

I bought mine used off eBay (4-UW) so the SW wasn't an option at time of purchase, but I did check one out at Golfsmith and for me it was just too much (obviously duh, haha) like the irons. Mentally I would look down at it and think, hey you're not a SW, SWs are Clevelands or Vokeys, etc... not this big club with a white line on the bottom groove.

Do you use it out of bunkers or is that the domain of the 58?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1389840476' post='8468995']
I bought mine used off eBay (4-UW) so the SW wasn't an option at time of purchase, but I did check one out at Golfsmith and for me it was just too much (obviously duh, haha) like the irons. Mentally I would look down at it and think, hey you're not a SW, SWs are Clevelands or Vokeys, etc... not this big club with a white line on the bottom groove.

Do you use it out of bunkers or is that the domain of the 58?
[/quote]

They don't "[i]look like[/i]" a "normal" SW, but at the same time maybe consider the clubs are "in family" and not a departure when looking down which may be a benefit. If bounce and other aspects are same as the Vokey, then can there be [i]that much [/i]difference? I have friends (20+ Hcps) who play 60* out of bunkers because they think the club will "correct" their lack of ability...all they do is send half the sand trap on the green and the ball moves 3 feet. Someday they'll figure out their swing is the problem not the club...and they buy EXPENSIVE wedges!...LOL.

I always say "[i]personal choice grows exponentially as clubs move closer to the hole[/i]".

None

Eye2 doesn't look like a SW either and I don't think anyone can argue that it isn't one of the top 3 designs of all time.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2