The Arm Swing Illusion / Jim Waldron's Swing Philosophy

Kiwi2

"Meta-Awareness" means the ability of your mind to observe - with a high degree of objective accuracy - what the rest of your mind is attending to, or focusing on.

Normal Awareness lacks that specific aspect, and so has a vague aspect to the quality of the awareness. With Meta-Awareness, you have a much sharper, clearer and more intense awareness, which is great for learning "light bulbs" and breakthroughs.

You can transform normal awareness into meta-awareness through the practice of mindfulness, which is really all about just paying attention, in the present moment, to whatever is happening, especially in the external or material world.

Meta-Awareness of a swing flaw will "break the spell" that underlies that flaw and eliminate the flaw. Swing flaws tend to repeat because of that lack of awareness. th

Its great for practice for sure. But when playing I can't seem to turn off my brain and the constant evaluation of what I am doing when on the course and just play. Its probably my biggest hurdle honestly. How does one transition between a practice to a gaming mindset?

It starts with clearly understanding how toxic a practice mindset is when playing. The culture of golf evolved - unlike any other sport or movement skill - in a way that mixed together practice and play, to such an extent that it became "normal" to think about the "how do I do it" part, ie the practice mentality.

I maintain that this kind of practice mentality is not even neutral, but rather really, really bad for your game. It is indeed toxic to good golf. It leads to one or more flinches per swing or stroke. A flinch being a mild intensity yip. Why would you use your mind in any way that would likely lead to a flinch?

Once you experience that flinch in a real and concrete way inside your swing - and see how bad the shot outcome is because of it - you will quickly let go of that toxic approach, and start to play golf the way the game was meant to be played, ie so-called subconscious mind golf, or golf where you create states like trust, letting go of control, self-belief and confidence, and playing the game with the swing you have - not the swing you wish you had.

Then there is the Meta-Awareness or mindfulness part of the equation. I have thought long and hard on this issue in my 50 plus years in golf, including over 25 years of teaching the game for a living, and have concluded that the single most important thing for achieving better shots and lower scores is Awareness, ie how you use your mind. Controlling your mental/emotional state starts with a clear awareness of what that state is all about. And training new physical movement patterns is also all about awareness for how your body is moving. Without that all you have is mere intellectual theory, which does not even "get you in the ballpark."

If you want to learn more about Meta-Awareness, just watch the Open today on the back nine, Jordan Spieth is a master of Meta-Awareness. Especially evident in his press conference after his win today, he elaborated at length about what was going through his mind, and how he created that amazing turn around on the back nine to shoot 5 under on the last 5 holes.

Self-belief, understanding that every shot, every circumstance in a round of golf is a totally fluid situation where literally anything is possible. Staying in the present moment, acknowledging the nerves and the stress and the pressure that you are inevitably going to feel, but not letting your mind react too much to that pressure, sticking to your routine and to your chosen focal point.....all really brilliant stuff.

He is a soon to be 24 year old in his body, but with the maturity and wisdom of a 90 year old who lived a happy and successful life.

I have been doing a drill that seems to be helpful (to me). And I would be interested in comments from those more experienced than me in in this world of the arm swing illusion.

The drill is simple. Take any golf club and your regular stance. Now do the "proper" arm motion (as defined by JW) with NO/ZERO/NADA body rotation at all. Just the arm pushaway, right arm fold, and wristc0ck back and forth (from the top then back to address) at roughly your normal backswing tempo. Then on maybe the 3rd (or whatever) rep add your body rotation and hit the ball. Kind of a Jug McSpadden drill but not quite.

I have found this to be quite helpful in overcoming my almost un-overcome-able innate desire to take the club dramatically too far inside on the backswing. And this tendency has all the predictable consequences where if my timing is perfect that day I hit this nice/gentle draw. On more normal days it is a combination of pull hooks, big pushes, and the occasional and really sweet little draw (emphasis on occasional).

Thanks.

dave

I have been doing a drill that seems to be helpful (to me). And I would be interested in comments from those more experienced than me in in this world of the arm swing illusion.

The drill is simple. Take any golf club and your regular stance. Now do the "proper" arm motion (as defined by JW) with NO/ZERO/NADA body rotation at all. Just the arm pushaway, right arm fold, and wristc0ck back and forth (from the top then back to address) at roughly your normal backswing tempo. Then on maybe the 3rd (or whatever) rep add your body rotation and hit the ball. Kind of a Jug McSpadden drill but not quite.

I have found this to be quite helpful in overcoming my almost un-overcome-able innate desire to take the club dramatically too far inside on the backswing. And this tendency has all the predictable consequences where if my timing is perfect that day I hit this nice/gentle draw. On more normal days it is a combination of pull hooks, big pushes, and the occasional and really sweet little draw (emphasis on occasional).

Thanks.

dave

Hi Dave - the drill you described is indeed one of the many asi drills we use in our instruction programs. It is based on the concept that you have two main things happening at the same time - and doing one will in no way make the other happen. Two independent movements happening simultaneously. The Pivot is movement one, the upper arms pushaway, right arm fold and wrist c0ck/hinge is movement two. I usually have my student do three of the arm/wrist movements with zero Pivot, and then on the fourth attempt blend in the Pivot.

One of the really toxic flaws of traditional swing theory is that doing one of those vital movements will indeed make the other one happen - if only that were true! Golf would be a whole lot easier! The Arms teachers will tell you to "just swing your arms" and the proper Pivot will be a reaction that arm swinging motion. The body teachers will tell you to "just pivot" and the backswing pivot will make the arms and wrists behave properly. The empirical evidence is overwhelming, and I am not kidding, that both of those basic premises are totally false.

The ego mind wants simple solutions to complex problems, and that desire to find a short cut or magic move, to take the coordination out of the golf swing, actually makes the swing more difficult to do well. And causes a lot of bad golf shots!

You can train yourself to do both motions simultaneously, and that effort will really pay off - much better golf shots due to a much better Top of backswing position.

I like listening to Sean Clements describing the back swing as a toss. I think most people think of it as a pulling-around action. Most golfers end up getting too flat at the top and come over the top to compensate. Although you have a more physics oriented way of describing the causes and remedies and Sean is a storyteller and metaphorical wizard, you both look fantastic at the top of the back swing. If there was one critique of your (I've only seen the free ones.) vids, (You have a great swing, no doubting that.) - it would be simply that people want to see a good striker strike some balls, so I think you should hit more balls while instructing. I know, I'm being silly but sometimes I do roll silly. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

I like listening to Sean Clements describing the back swing as a toss. I think most people think of it as a pulling-around action. Most golfers end up getting too flat at the top and come over the top to compensate. Although you have a more physics oriented way of describing the causes and remedies and Sean is a storyteller and metaphorical wizard, you both look fantastic at the top of the back swing. If there was one critique of your (I've only seen the free ones.) vids, (You have a great swing, no doubting that.) - it would be simply that people want to see a good striker strike some balls, so I think you should hit more balls while instructing. I know, I'm being silly but sometimes I do roll silly. Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

I like the word "sling" to describe a proper back swing. The first segment of our new Module Six video: The Six Swing Segments and the Integration of Mechanics (which will be up on our site soon) is devoted to that concept, actually both back and forward swings.

It is a simple Big Picture concept that can work on the golf course, as long you do it from Feel Channel - and not the two thinking channels of visual and auditory.

Your Pivot "slings" the arms Triangle (and the club by extension) on the backswing and the Pivot "slings" the arms Triangle and club on the forward swing.

I like the word "sling" to describe a proper back swing. The first segment of our new Module Six video: The Six Swing Segments and the Integration of Mechanics (which will be up on our site soon) is devoted to that concept, actually both back and forward swings.

It is a simple Big Picture concept that can work on the golf course, as long you do it from Feel Channel - and not the two thinking channels of visual and auditory.

Your Pivot "slings" the arms Triangle (and the club by extension) on the backswing and the Pivot "slings" the arms Triangle and club on the forward swing.

FWIW, a guy named David Lee (no relationship, BTW) has a golf system he calls "Gravity Golf". He refers to this process as "the heave". And he definitely states that part of what this does is to "separate the arms from the body".

dave

FWIW, a guy named David Lee (no relationship, BTW) has a golf system he calls "Gravity Golf". He refers to this process as "the heave". And he definitely states that part of what this does is to "separate the arms from the body".

dave

I am familiar with the Gravity Golf system, actually had a lesson from one of David Lee's assistants back in the late 90's.

"Heave" is another great descriptor what a good backswing feels like. Helps to engage the Core, which is a really, really important thing in the golf swing.

One of the tough things about golf is that you are using a tool that so lightweight, kind of like a fly swatter, but the muscles you need to engage in an effective swing are the ones you would use to knock out the bottom row of bricks in a brick wall using a 20lb sledge hammer.

If you engage the fly swatter muscles, you will forever struggle with your ballstriking!

[media=]

[/media]

Thanks, Kiwi!

That trailer is for Module Five on the mechanics of the Levers and the Release. Two separate videos: one long one at 4 hours viewing time, covers all the essential mechanics of the wrists, forearms and right arm angle (right elbow joint), along with how to create the proper Release. Topics include Release timing and trigger point, active vs passive Release types (and a hybrid between the two), and Hold Off vs Freewheeling Release types (and a hybrid here also), creating shaft lean with the hinge angle mechanics, how the right arm angle releases properly, forearm roll during Release and it's effects on path and face angle, several drills to cure the very common and destructive early release flaw, and related issues.

A second hour long video devoted to my analysis of the pros and cons of the kinetic chain concept.

Those and several other of the Great Shot!: Mastering the Craft of Ballstriking video instruction series are available for purchase (download) at www.balancepointgolf.com.

Module Six on the Six Mini-Swing Segments will be up very soon. Module Seven on Balance around first part of September.

Module Eight on Tempo, Rhythm and Timing is being edited with a target completion date of around October 21.

Upcoming Videos that are "in the can" which will become available this winter and spring include: three videos on "Mastering the Mental Game: The Art of Shotmaking" and a video devoted to increasing distance with your driver called "Explosive Power".

We are in the process of taping five videos this summer about the short game: Chipping, Pitching, Wedge Distance Control (60-120 yards), Bunker Shots and Specialty Short Game Shots. Sometime mid-winter of 2018 is our target release date for the first of those videos.

Jim, I'm blown away. I'm single digit hc but have struggled with an inside takeaway and getting back to square more than I'd like. One view of your explanation and I instantly understand the golf swing! Of course, I'm far from fixed and will need much practice, but wow.

I've just been swinging in my living room and will be playing later today, but I'm certain my consistency will improve tenfold after this.

Genius.

Updated: I played in a best ball tourney on Wednesday, and I haven't hit my irons for an entire round that good in my life. I was sticking everything. I was 5ft away from a $10,000 hole in one with my 7 iron. All I can think about is playing golf.

Jim, I'm blown away. I'm single digit hc but have struggled with an inside takeaway and getting back to square more than I'd like. One view of your explanation and I instantly understand the golf swing! Of course, I'm far from fixed and will need much practice, but wow.

I've just been swinging in my living room and will be playing later today, but I'm certain my consistency will improve tenfold after this.

Genius.

Updated: I played in a best ball tourney on Wednesday, and I haven't hit my irons for an entire round that good in my life. I was sticking everything. I was 5ft away from a $10,000 hole in one with my 7 iron. All I can think about is playing golf.

Great to hear your feedback! Pretty cool that you are able to breakthrough so quickly.....

My wife would give you a good argument about the "genius" thing though....

Jim,

Your explanation of trail or for me right arm extensor is stunning in its simplicity, far better illustration than I have been getting from my TGM instructors. They get to the same place but it is a long journey. Add trail shoulder external rotation and flat left wrist and one an smash the ball.

Golfingly yours!

Thanks, Z! I think extensor action only makes sense when you have some ability to see through the ASI and also have a clear mental picture of the Triangle and why it is so essential to good ballstriking. Meaning when the ASI is operative in your Swing Map, you are going to activate the right bicep during takeaway, trying to create the Big Circle with your arm motion, instead of your Pivot motion.

Jim,

Your explanation of trail or for me right arm extensor is stunning in its simplicity, far better illustration than I have been getting from my TGM instructors. They get to the same place but it is a long journey. Add trail shoulder external rotation and flat left wrist and one an smash the ball.

Golfingly yours!

Thanks, Z! I think extensor action only makes sense when you have some ability to see through the ASI and also have a clear mental picture of the Triangle and why it is so essential to good ballstriking. Meaning when the ASI is operative in your Swing Map, you are going to activate the right bicep during takeaway, trying to create the Big Circle with your arm motion, instead of your Pivot motion.

Jim,

We all travel a different path in learning about golf. In my case, physically I could not play for 17 years until last summer. I decided to start anew, for a lot of reasons, one of which was to judge the state of instruction (what tools like high speed cameras, electrodes, plates, and trackman).

FWIW, I rate state of instruct overall as very poor. It is very simple to setup and swing the club back. It is almost impossible to swing down and not hit OTP or with a strong pull to the left.

The reason is easy to explain. What is seen as a proper backswing includes straightening the trail or right leg, resulting in the right hip being higher than the left. The golfer must now make one or more moves to reverse this situation, so that the lead or left hip becomes higher than the trail or right.

The current approach is to make the left or lead knee go external and then squat. This has to be one of the most difficult effort in sports.

FWIW, I remain unconvinced. Steve Stricker was just interviewed again on keeping the hips level, which means maintaining knee flex. Lee Trevino solved the problem with an extremely open stance.

I have seen a short video where to talk of external left knee bump followed by pelvis moving right at 12:30. Cowen has a ton of European players that are shifting weight from trail or right heel to left ankle, with no movement of the knee until much later.

And, then there are photos of Jordan Speith rolling over his lead or left ankle.

Am trying to read thru your writings here and will be watching your video.

Golfingly yours,

Zizzer

Jim,

Watched your pivot video with great interest. First, it was good to see that you did not advocate straightening of trail or right leg/knee. I was disappointed you did not take up how it is not possible to reverse from left to right tilt unless the right hip has been lowered. Your suggestion of forward tilt moving past address position really got my interest.

Golfingly yours

I get the blend of the pushway and turn on the backswing, what do you do on the down swing? Tanner

Backswing is way more complex than just the pushaway and turn. Same with the downswing.

The ideal or model swing has many components. None of them are "things that you do" but rather learned movement patterns to the level of dominant habit.

Not theory - instead, deep insight, then repetitions to make a habit.

As a beginner, my hope is that I can use these concepts to build a good swing from the start, and not have to break 20 years worth of bad habits. Just read through (almost) all of this thread, watched all the videos posted, and it is indeed fascinating.

Not to oversimplify, and not to take the place of an in-person lesson, but would it be accurate to describe a) the takeaway and first part of the backswing as pushing away from the body, in a straight line at a 45-degree angle toward the right, in front of the body, like the right side of a "V" and done in coordination with 45-degrees of pivot, b) the second part of the backswing keeps the left arm straight, and right arm folds while keeping the elbow close to the body, and completing the pivot so the shoulders are perpendicular to the target line; c) the downswing is more of an arm drop along with pivot thrust, whereas instead of a "V" the motion it's more like a "U" in relation to the front of he body, where the moment of impact is before the apex of the "U", and the arms/wrists act passively, being driven by the pivot thrust? Does this sound correct, if oversimplified?

Another thought about lag made me realize that the lag is not a sweeping of the ball side-to-side, as I originally (and incorrectly) thought; it only looks that way because of the pivoting of the body. The lag is actually downward, which is more natural and passive, and the pivoting motion is what creates the "illusion" that it's a sideways motion. Does this sound accurate? I may not have the correct language/terminology to describe what I mean.

I really wish Jim would come to the East Coast!

As a beginner, my hope is that I can use these concepts to build a good swing from the start, and not have to break 20 years worth of bad habits. Just read through (almost) all of this thread, watched all the videos posted, and it is indeed fascinating.

Not to oversimplify, and not to take the place of an in-person lesson, but would it be accurate to describe a) the takeaway and first part of the backswing as pushing away from the body, in a straight line at a 45-degree angle toward the right, in front of the body, like the right side of a "V" and done in coordination with 45-degrees of pivot, b) the second part of the backswing keeps the left arm straight, and right arm folds while keeping the elbow close to the body, and completing the pivot so the shoulders are perpendicular to the target line; c) the downswing is more of an arm drop along with pivot thrust, whereas instead of a "V" the motion it's more like a "U" in relation to the front of he body, where the moment of impact is before the apex of the "U", and the arms/wrists act passively, being driven by the pivot thrust? Does this sound correct, if oversimplified?

Another thought about lag made me realize that the lag is not a sweeping of the ball side-to-side, as I originally (and incorrectly) thought; it only looks that way because of the pivoting of the body. The lag is actually downward, which is more natural and passive, and the pivoting motion is what creates the "illusion" that it's a sideways motion. Does this sound accurate? I may not have the correct language/terminology to describe what I mean.

I really wish Jim would come to the East Coast!

Yes on all your points, in a Big Picture conceptual way.

Not really an arm drop per se though. The amount of independent arm motion in the downswing is less than the amount executed in the backswing. A really, really important concept that few golfers and even golf teachers understand. And that small amount of independent arm motion can indeed vary, depending on how actively and how fast you Pivot Thrust. The more open your chest is at impact, the LESS independent arm motion you should have. The less open your chest at impact, the more independent arm motion is required.

Yes - the wrist c0ck so-called lag angle is released downwards and outwards - not sideways. Pivot moves the clubhead in the horizontal direction. Part of what I call the Wrist Illusion.

Right elbow is not kept "close" to the body on the backswing, it is often too close or too far in poor swings. We want a few inches of space between the right elbow and the ribcage at the Top.

• 2 weeks later...

Module 6 Trailer

[media=]

[/media]

Module Six: The Six Mini-Swing Segments - Integrating the Mechanics in my "Great Shot!: Mastering the Craft of Ballstriking" video instruction series is now available for purchase/download here: http://www.balancepointgolf.com/index.php/pro-shop/golf-videos

This latest video is an in depth and detailed presentation of my ideal golf swing model, de-constructed into three specific bio-mechanical categories (pivot, upper arms and the levers of right elbow and wrists) in each of the six swing segments: takeaway, second half of backswing and Top position, Transition, Release into Impact, Followthrough and Finish.

My assistant Dan and I demonstrate all of the technical pieces of each segment, and why and how golfers go wrong in their own swing in each of those six segments, and the cures for those common swing flaws.

My favorite Big Picture Swing Concept that is simple, non-technical and very effective is covered in this video, and it is one you can take to the golf course on those days when you have hit rock bottom and you just cannot "find your swing".

In the model golf swing, you need to learn how to blend those three mechanical categories into one whole motion.

Total viewing time of four hours.

Jim,

What module do you cover postural braces? Are all of them covered in 1 module? I really want to order module 4, because it looks awesome. But I'm very interested in postural braces, some days my legs feel like noodles.

The Postural Braces are in the Module One - Part D video. Yes, all three are covered in depth in that video.

Module Four is over four hours devoted entirely the Pivot Mechanics, including all of the tilts, Tilt Illusion, centered backswing Pivot, lateral weight shift on Transition, Tilt Switch, Spine Angle, Steady Head and Upper Swing Center, etc.

Hey Jim I'm curious if tilt switch is similar to the Dante 3rd "magic move" of shifting hips while keeping head/chest steady and the "eternal triangle" intact? Thanks!

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Hey Jim I'm curious if tilt switch is similar to the Dante 3rd "magic move" of shifting hips while keeping head/chest steady and the "eternal triangle" intact? Thanks!

No, not the same thing, although same segment, ie Transition.

Tilt Switch is the active reversal or "switch" from left side bend of the torso at the Top, from mid-back region, to right side bend early in Transition.

Tilt Switch is the active reversal or "switch" from left side bend of the torso at the Top, from mid-back region, to right side bend early in Transition.

Interesting. It seems when I do the hip move and don't "do anything" with arms keeping head back my tilt does switch and my arms automatically come down to hitting zone (at least with slow mo mirror swings)

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Interesting. It seems when I do the hip move and don't "do anything" with arms keeping head back my tilt does switch and my arms automatically come down to hitting zone (at least with slow mo mirror swings)

In that case, the head back thing is just a way you developed a trigger for the switch. But possible to keep your head back with ZERO switch, I see that all the time.

It is important in golf - if you wish to be successful making swing changes - to differentiate between "model" swing theory and what and how your body is executing that theory. The most important piece of knowledge is how you are using your mind, ie Meta-Awareness, second most important is what in fact is your body actually doing, and any triggers you develop are further down the list.

Meaning some folks will conflate a trigger for the body motion or even for the theory.