The Arm Swing Illusion / Jim Waldron's Swing Philosophy

Kiwi2

I have the issue of yanking it inside trying to open the face after years of playing with a shut clubface and coming OOT. I watched your video in another thread and is it really as simple as move the club straight forward to the imaginary guy standing facing you and then just turning the shoulders and chest together?

No, that is not correct. In a real swing, the arm pushaway of 4-8 inches happens SIMULTANEOUSLY with the Pivot of core and torso, along with some slight wrist hinging and cocking.

The direction of the arm pushaway would only be toward the person standing in front of you and to your right (for the 45 degree angle to the chest) if you did NOT pivot at all. In a real swing your chest is constantly moving so in fact there is NO fixed direction to push away toward.

Bad way to phrase that I guess but the club has to go outward to start and that happens with the chest/shoulders turning as well. Here's the video I was watching

Depends how you define "outward" - it does NOT mean outside the target line in the swing that I teach.

I want an on plane shaft motion. To achieve that, you do the pushaway blended in to your Pivot.

And my own understanding today is somewhat different than that old video from the late 90's. The new version is better, Module Two on the ASI.

I have the issue of yanking it inside trying to open the face after years of playing with a shut clubface and coming OOT. I watched your video in another thread and is it really as simple as move the club straight forward to the imaginary guy standing facing you and then just turning the shoulders and chest together?

No, that is not correct. In a real swing, the arm pushaway of 4-8 inches happens SIMULTANEOUSLY with the Pivot of core and torso, along with some slight wrist hinging and cocking.

The direction of the arm pushaway would only be toward the person standing in front of you and to your right (for the 45 degree angle to the chest) if you did NOT pivot at all. In a real swing your chest is constantly moving so in fact there is NO fixed direction to push away toward.

Bad way to phrase that I guess but the club has to go outward to start and that happens with the chest/shoulders turning as well. Here's the video I was watching

Depends how you define "outward" - it does NOT mean outside the target line in the swing that I teach.

I want an on plane shaft motion. To achieve that, you do the pushaway blended in to your Pivot.

And my own understanding today is somewhat different than that old video from the late 90's. The new version is better, Module Two on the ASI.

I get that. The pushaway that I described HAS to mesh with your pivot (chest, shoulders, arms together) instead of one and then the other. Someone posted that video for me to counter my inside takeaway and getting the club stuck behind me.

I am just getting back into golf after being away mostly for 30 odd years, and wanted to get a lesson in before ingraning too many bad habits. As a result have only watched a few videos, Jim's "Arm Swing Illusion" being one. During my lesson my coach evaluated my swing and showed that I was far too low on the takeaway, and when working on a drill or two with him I immediately flashed back to this video. It really helped make the transition to the correct motion much easier.

TaylorMade Burner 2009 9.5*

Ping i20 3W 15*

Ping G30 3H 19*

4-W Ping S55 Modus3 120S

52* Ping Glide

56* Ping Tour Gorge

60* Ping Glide 2 Stealth

Northwestern Tom Weiskopf-303 Anser clone

• 2 weeks later...

I am just getting back into golf after being away mostly for 30 odd years, and wanted to get a lesson in before ingraning too many bad habits. As a result have only watched a few videos, Jim's "Arm Swing Illusion" being one. During my lesson my coach evaluated my swing and showed that I was far too low on the takeaway, and when working on a drill or two with him I immediately flashed back to this video. It really helped make the transition to the correct motion much easier.

Thanks for sharing your positive experience with the ASI concept, J. Great to hear that it is helping you!

Some basic swing theory that every serious student of the golf swing should know.

There are Four Major Swing Styles that have proven to be very effective in both professional and amateur events

over the past 100 years. Understanding which one you is best for you and how toxic it is to mix and match within

Styles is key to your improvement.

One of the four is only recommended for golfers built like NFL lineman - wide, deep chest, and inflexible. What I call

a Thrusting or Hitting Style. Craig Stadler is a good example.

Slinging or Throwing Style is the 1960's and 70's big lateral move, leg drive, reverse C. Nicklaus and Miller in their

prime. Hard on the back and hard to stay in Balance, so I never recommend it to beginners or average golfers. Too much leg and feet

and hip and independent arm motion to create the kind of consistency that everyone wants.

Hogan is the model for the Ultra Spin Style. Requires much more flexibility than average golfers possess, and a strong core, naturally fast tempo.

Helps if you have longer than average arms and are shorter than 5'10" in height.

Which leaves the Style I teach most all of my students, Leveraged Spin. It is a blend of using the Pivot and the Levers to create clubhead speed, and will work with

moderate flexibility and core strength. Balance, lower body stability and a mostly centered Pivot are key elements. So is on plane shaft angle during the swing. And of course

keeping the arms in front of the torso as discussed in the ASI stuff. It is the Style that 99% of tour pros are using today.

I have recently been getting a lot of questions about my video instruction series, which consists of 13 individual

videos. The typical question is - "which video should I start with?".

There is no simple answer, because like all truly effective instruction, it all depends on the current skill level

of the student.

But here are a few guidelines to consider.

1. the Great Shot! Mastering the Craft of Ballstriking video instruction series is designed to be a developmental

self-directed learning program. Meaning that there is a proper sequence that should ideally be followed when learning

golf swing skills. Certain key fundamentals act as the foundation for fundamentals that come later in the sequence.

When those earlier fundamentals are missing or weak, it makes it difficult - or even impossible - to learn the later fundamentals

effectively.

With that in mind, you can think of Module One and Two as the foundation fundamentals or elementary school.

Modules Three through Five similar to high school. Modules Six through Eight is like college.

2. the question of which should I do first, a remote lesson with Jim, or buy a video - is an easy one to answer.

The lesson is always going to be a better choice, because in that lesson I will identify precisely your top three swing flaws

and how to fix them. I will also identify which of the foundation fundamentals is missing or weak - especially grip, aim and Setup.

and baseline Balance and Tempo. If either of those areas is poor - you are wasting your time working on anything

else.

3.as far as swing building, you always want to follow the law of cause and effect. I divide the swing into six mini-segments, starting

with Takeaway. No point in working on your Top of backswing position if your Takeaway is incorrect.

Best option for everyone is to start with a webcam live Remote Lesson with me, and then based on my analysis of your swing, I can then recommend

which videos to buy and study. Not everyone needs the entire 13 video program. Advanced players might start with Module Two on the arm swing illusion and

it's cure, and Module Four on the Pivot Mechanics, or Module Five on the Levers and Release.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to chime in here and say that I've seen this illusion.. I just didn't know what I was looking at. The one golfer who sticks out to me especially on takeaway is Rickie Fowler. Whenever I would see DTL footage of him swinging I just couldn't comprehend how he could get back to the ball with such an outside looking takeaway. Anyway just finished Module 2 and I get it now.. I thought I did in the past (watched the cigarette vid) but I was wrong.. now I get it.

Thanks

I just wanted to chime in here and say that I've seen this illusion.. I just didn't know what I was looking at. The one golfer who sticks out to me especially on takeaway is Rickie Fowler. Whenever I would see DTL footage of him swinging I just couldn't comprehend how he could get back to the ball with such an outside looking takeaway. Anyway just finished Module 2 and I get it now.. I thought I did in the past (watched the cigarette vid) but I was wrong.. now I get it.

Thanks

Thanks for your feedback, Dave!

I agree - easy to see the arm pushaway in Ricky's swing. His old swing he actually did it a bit too soon, and ended up outside the shaft plane on takeaway.

He started working with Butch on this at the start of 2015 and it made a real difference in his game. Now his shaft stays on the plane in the takeaway.

Yeah, the Illusion is powerful. I hear your comment all the time - "I thought I understood the ASI from reading the mega-thread on wrx, but once I saw the Module Two video on the ASI, only then did I really understand it."

Part of this is the necessary shift in perspective - the ability to "see" and "think" in 3D instead of 2D.

And the fact that you need to really blend the arm pushaway with the Pivot during takeaway, which makes the pushaway part "invisible" when the ASI "filter is still influencing your perception.

Thanks

I agree - easy to see the arm pushaway in Ricky's swing. His old swing he actually did it a bit too soon, and ended up outside the shaft plane on takeaway.

He started working with Butch on this at the start of 2015 and it made a real difference in his game. Now his shaft stays on the plane in the takeaway.

Yeah, the Illusion is powerful. I hear your comment all the time - "I thought I understood the ASI from reading the mega-thread on wrx, but once I saw the Module Two video on the ASI, only then did I really understand it."

Part of this is the necessary shift in perspective - the ability to "see" and "think" in 3D instead of 2D.

And the fact that you need to really blend the arm pushaway with the Pivot during takeaway, which makes the pushaway part "invisible" when the ASI "filter is still influencing your perception.

Jim, Do professionals implement your swing concepts or is this instruction better suited for the average player? Thx Tanner

Thanks

Jim, Do professionals implement your swing concepts or is this instruction better suited for the average player? Thx Tanner

The swing model is for all skill levels.

But the precise nature of the instruction is totally geared toward the student I am working with at the time. There are a few parts of the swing model that only work well for advanced players.

Jim,

I am wondering if incorrect, albeit nonchalant, practice swings are corrupting my swing.

Picture this for a moment.

I am waiting on the tee box for the group ahead to clear. I am “practicing” my golf swing. I am standing up, not bent at the waist. I am not swinging very hard or back very far (i.e. half swings), and my body is not rotating much (and even less than it should for the half swings). However, since my body is not rotating much and I am under the spell of the ASI, I am moving my arms around by body a fair amount, not on the approximate 45° angle up as you recommend.

Are these incorrect, albeit nonchalant, practice swings ingraining the incorrect arm motion and thus corrupting my swing? Should a player thus be conscious to move the arms on the approximate 45° angle up even when doing little practice swings?

I assume the answers are yes, but I thought this all was interesting enough to share.

Jim,

I am wondering if incorrect, albeit nonchalant, practice swings are corrupting my swing.

Picture this for a moment.

I am waiting on the tee box for the group ahead to clear. I am “practicing” my golf swing. I am standing up, not bent at the waist. I am not swinging very hard or back very far (i.e. half swings), and my body is not rotating much (and even less than it should for the half swings). However, since my body is not rotating much and I am under the spell of the ASI, I am moving my arms around by body a fair amount, not on the approximate 45° angle up as you recommend.

Are these incorrect, albeit nonchalant, practice swings ingraining the incorrect arm motion and thus corrupting my swing? Should a player thus be conscious to move the arms on the approximate 45° angle up even when doing little practice swings?

I assume the answers are yes, but I thought this all was interesting enough to share.

A lot of good players will perform a "warm up" swing that is really different than their actual swing.

I think the answer lies more in just practicing the correct backswing with the 45 degree arm pushaway until you have mastered it, and then it wont matter

if you do a somewhat different motion in a warm up swing.

At some point, your conscious mind will really breakthrough to seeing through the Illusion, which will make your practice much more effective.

OK, I tried this arm movement w/out pivot and it seems like the clubhead is moving outside instead of straight back. Am I missing something??

Without the pivot, your arms do raise to the outside of the target line by about 45 degrees. What you must do is pivot while doing that same arm action, which for most people, will feel strange at first but will become liberating when you start incorporating the knowledge into your action.

Jim, I like how you explain the illusion. It's similar to some other theories out there, while not rooted in the same vein, but I found it very easy to understand in comparison to some other teachings.

I'm in the camp that everyone has a swing style that works best for them. One plane, two plane, arced, leveraged, width, etc. It's all about what your body gives you to work with. The only real drawback I see to the leverage type swing is the issue of the uncocking of the wrists, the steep aoa, and the precise timing needed to execute again and again with consistent results.

Are there any drills you like to help with developing a great sense of timing for this type of swing?

To relate everything that has been written in this post to a golf swing is unbelievable. Especially the part about 1, 2 and 3 participants in a golf school. I hope the hourly rate is incredibly high so no-one goes hungry.. :stop:

Just seems like there has got to be an easier way to describe it. I do believe that the picture/video giving it meaning is the best way to process it. Thanks for the effort.

Jim, I like how you explain the illusion. It's similar to some other theories out there, while not rooted in the same vein, but I found it very easy to understand in comparison to some other teachings.

I'm in the camp that everyone has a swing style that works best for them. One plane, two plane, arced, leveraged, width, etc. It's all about what your body gives you to work with. The only real drawback I see to the leverage type swing is the issue of the uncocking of the wrists, the steep aoa, and the precise timing needed to execute again and again with consistent results.

Are there any drills you like to help with developing a great sense of timing for this type of swing?

Timing is not an issue in the Leveraged Spin Style. And angle of attack is not steep. Not sure what you mean about wrists un-c0cking being an issue either. You can use either a passive or active wrist release with this Style. Passive is easier to time - and is so with any of the four Styles - than active.

Jim, thanks for the write ups here on WRX for your swing philosophy. I'd never bothered to open the pinned post until last week. Big mistake.

Your explanation of the ASI is so easy to understand, I'm amazed I never noticed it. I mean, I've noticed it, just didn't know how to do it or quantify it. Every time I'd take a DTL video of my swing I'd see my club isn't where it's supposed to be half-way back. And traditional teaching, and I've read a LOT of books and seen tons of videos on YouTube and elsewhere, never actually explains HOW to get the club to parallel over your toes with the toe up half-way back. Your ASI writings explain how.

Since I'm now "cured" of that problem I've always had, how about another? Do you have a post in here somewhere, or a video on YouTube, to help keep my right leg stable and bent and not raise up through impact? My first move off the ball, for as long as I can remember, is to stand up a bit on the takeaway. Perhaps that will be cured by the ASI takeaway. I haven't recorded yet. I'm guessing it was a compensation move so I didn't scrape the club on the ground on the way back.

Thanks for the ASI explanation. It really is game-changing. Keep up the great work!

Jim, thanks for the write ups here on WRX for your swing philosophy. I'd never bothered to open the pinned post until last week. Big mistake.

Your explanation of the ASI is so easy to understand, I'm amazed I never noticed it. I mean, I've noticed it, just didn't know how to do it or quantify it. Every time I'd take a DTL video of my swing I'd see my club isn't where it's supposed to be half-way back. And traditional teaching, and I've read a LOT of books and seen tons of videos on YouTube and elsewhere, never actually explains HOW to get the club to parallel over your toes with the toe up half-way back. Your ASI writings explain how.

Since I'm now "cured" of that problem I've always had, how about another? Do you have a post in here somewhere, or a video on YouTube, to help keep my right leg stable and bent and not raise up through impact? My first move off the ball, for as long as I can remember, is to stand up a bit on the takeaway. Perhaps that will be cured by the ASI takeaway. I haven't recorded yet. I'm guessing it was a compensation move so I didn't scrape the club on the ground on the way back.

Thanks for the ASI explanation. It really is game-changing. Keep up the great work!

Thank you for the positive feedback, and great to learn the ASI concept is helping you.

In my swing model, during the backswing the right knee maintains at least 50% of it's flex that it started with at Setup.

This improves balance and stability for most golfers. You need to be sure you are also getting hips to rotate to at least 45 degrees, there is a relationship between hip range of motion and right knee flex, ie easier to turn hips if right knee is allowed to totally straighten, BUT then you have the stability and balance issues.

During the Release to Impact segments of the golf swing, very common for right foot to come up on to the right toes too fast and too early, it is usually caused by failure of right glutes to fire even more during Transition. Can also be caused by poor hamstring flexibility and/or tight hip flexors and hip rotators.

There are stablilty exercises that train you how to activate the glutes, standing on your right leg only and doing small squats into your right knee is a good one.

Only way to know for sure what your own individual issue is - take a lesson.

I am doing more and more remote lessons live via webcam and they work really well.

Here is an interesting "breakthrough". For context I am a (relatively healthy) 68 year old golfer who played to a roughly 5 index (at least in the summer) and I was a dedicated practice guy (probably had a club in my hands 5 to 6 days per week). The bad news is the I was a dedicated "suck it inside" type and the worse news is that every practice session was dedicated to "finding that feel that works today". It was all manipulation that I did NOT have the hand/eye coordination to duplicate (I am not a Bubba Watson for sure). In 2014 I somehow lost my ability to keep things on that level with that approach to the game, got frustrated, and dropped my golf back to once per week, little practice, and I started riding my Bianchi (road bicycle) 200 miles per week.

I recently re-stumbled into ASI, it matched my experience on the golf course and makes sense, I bought the ASI e-book, and we'll see if I re-find the motivation that I had four years ago. At least now when I work on something, I am working on something that has a prayer of actually working more than one practice session (thank you, JW).

All that said I had an interesting breakthrough the other day. I was working on 15 to 20 yard 60* wedge shots in the back yard, focusing on hitting the ball with my rotation rather than micro-manipulation of my hands and arms. Since my backyard is mostly pinestraw (common around here) this was basically hitting that shot off bare dirt (pinestraw gone after a few swings). This is not an easy shot and I hit one absolutely perfect and my reaction was "crap - that was all arms through impact".

For someone who spent YEARS letting ballstriking be the judge of every little thing I did, this was quite a change.

dave

Here is an interesting "breakthrough". For context I am a (relatively healthy) 68 year old golfer who played to a roughly 5 index (at least in the summer) and I was a dedicated practice guy (probably had a club in my hands 5 to 6 days per week). The bad news is the I was a dedicated "suck it inside" type and the worse news is that every practice session was dedicated to "finding that feel that works today". It was all manipulation that I did NOT have the hand/eye coordination to duplicate (I am not a Bubba Watson for sure). In 2014 I somehow lost my ability to keep things on that level with that approach to the game, got frustrated, and dropped my golf back to once per week, little practice, and I started riding my Bianchi (road bicycle) 200 miles per week.

I recently re-stumbled into ASI, it matched my experience on the golf course and makes sense, I bought the ASI e-book, and we'll see if I re-find the motivation that I had four years ago. At least now when I work on something, I am working on something that has a prayer of actually working more than one practice session (thank you, JW).

All that said I had an interesting breakthrough the other day. I was working on 15 to 20 yard 60* wedge shots in the back yard, focusing on hitting the ball with my rotation rather than micro-manipulation of my hands and arms. Since my backyard is mostly pinestraw (common around here) this was basically hitting that shot off bare dirt (pinestraw gone after a few swings). This is not an easy shot and I hit one absolutely perfect and my reaction was "crap - that was all arms through impact".

For someone who spent YEARS letting ballstriking be the judge of every little thing I did, this was quite a change.

dave

Hi Dave - thanks for your report, great feedback. Please keep us updated on your progress.

I am starting to see a shift in the general golf instruction culture away from reliance on swing thoughts and analytics and toward playing shots in the much more effective mindset of an artist and/or athlete, which is all about transcending technique thoughts and accessing states like trust, freedom, confidence, courage and detachment. It is a healthy sign, for sure!

Understanding the relationship between your conscious mind Swing Concept, and finding a way to make that congruent with your subconscious mind Swing Map, is the essence of the golf skills learning process. When the two are on the same page about issues like swing shape or geometry, impact alignments, power sources and power application, release type and release timing, tempo and balance - this is when you start to see some significant performance breakthroughs.

This is the way you want to present information, what to do, evidence when doing things correct and not.

GJ Jim.

[media=]

[/media]

Thanks!

I should add that the right elbow only moves away from the torso from it's starting position during pushaway by only a tiny amount - 2-3". It will then maintain that relationship to the torso or move another inch or so away from the torso as the right elbow folds.

It will return to the body during Transition, so that 3" to 4" gap is removed. Stays that way until shortly after impact when Pivot momentum will move both arms across torso mid-line.

This is the way you want to present information, what to do, evidence when doing things correct and not.

GJ Jim.

[media=]

[/media]

Thanks!

I should add that the right elbow only moves away from the torso from it's starting position during pushaway by only a tiny amount - 2-3". It will then maintain that relationship to the torso or move another inch or so away from the torso as the right elbow folds.

It will return to the body during Transition, so that 3" to 4" gap is removed. Stays that way until shortly after impact when Pivot momentum will move both arms across torso mid-line.

Jim,

What is your opinion on right shoulder retraction at the top of swing?

Thanks in advance.

GJ Jim.

[media=]

[/media]

Thanks!

Jim,

What is your opinion on right shoulder retraction at the top of swing?

Thanks in advance.

Not a fan of that concept. I like to see more structure in the shoulder girdle. Setup includes slight scapular retraction in both shoulder blades that you maintain to Finish.

Jim, I saw a post by you in a different thread that said #1 most important element in a swing was "how you use your awareness and mental focus" Would you please amplify what you mean by this? Apologies if you've addressed this already in depth here... thx

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Jim, I saw a post by you in a different thread that said #1 most important element in a swing was "how you use your awareness and mental focus" Would you please amplify what you mean by this? Apologies if you've addressed this already in depth here... thx

Yeah, we did talk about the Awareness and mental focus stuff a few months ago in this thread, if you wish to go back and read some of that material.

Students who struggle with learning golf's physical skills universally have poor mental focus, poor feel sense awareness for their body motion, and in general little understanding of how the brain-mind/body best learns motor skills like the golf swing.

They tend to think of their problems with getting better at golf as mostly or even exclusively a matter of "solving" the intellectual puzzle that is the golf swing.

Except the swing is not an intellectual puzzle that needs a solution, that is only one very small part of it, and that is really the responsibility of your teacher. That is why you are paying an expert, it is his or her job to come up with a clear and proven effective overall "model" in terms of swing theory.

Learning the many swing skills is really much more about the relationship between your conscious mind (Swing Concept) and your subconscious mind (Swing Map), coordinating body parts as they move through space, inhibiting several natural but destructive impulses like the Hit or Steering Impulse, achieving Deep Insights or light bulb moments, employing your mind that is 100% focused on just one thing, fully present and aware - but not interfering - with what is actually going on with your body and club motion, etc.

I and every other teacher I know of see students everyday who intellectually know exactly what they want their body and club to do - but cannot actually do it! Which of course is actually what is really important - doing it....and doing it well requires doing it without thought, on automatic. An actual skill as opposed to a verbal checklist of "things to do inside my swing".

Swing theory is way over-rated - especially on the golf Internet.

When you have awareness, more specifically Meta-Awareness, you have the potential to learn something new, and to change your old body movement pattern for a new and better one.

When you lack that kind of awareness - all you have is theory.

"Meta-Awareness" means the ability of your mind to observe - with a high degree of objective accuracy - what the rest of your mind is attending to, or focusing on.

Normal Awareness lacks that specific aspect, and so has a vague aspect to the quality of the awareness. With Meta-Awareness, you have a much sharper, clearer and more intense awareness, which is great for learning "light bulbs" and breakthroughs.

You can transform normal awareness into meta-awareness through the practice of mindfulness, which is really all about just paying attention, in the present moment, to whatever is happening, especially in the external or material world.

Meta-Awareness of a swing flaw will "break the spell" that underlies that flaw and eliminate the flaw. Swing flaws tend to repeat because of that lack of awareness.

"Meta-Awareness" means the ability of your mind to observe - with a high degree of objective accuracy - what the rest of your mind is attending to, or focusing on.

Normal Awareness lacks that specific aspect, and so has a vague aspect to the quality of the awareness. With Meta-Awareness, you have a much sharper, clearer and more intense awareness, which is great for learning "light bulbs" and breakthroughs.

You can transform normal awareness into meta-awareness through the practice of mindfulness, which is really all about just paying attention, in the present moment, to whatever is happening, especially in the external or material world.

Meta-Awareness of a swing flaw will "break the spell" that underlies that flaw and eliminate the flaw. Swing flaws tend to repeat because of that lack of awareness.

Its great for practice for sure. But when playing I can't seem to turn off my brain and the constant evaluation of what I am doing when on the course and just play. Its probably my biggest hurdle honestly. How does one transition between a practice to a gaming mindset?

TaylorMade Burner 2009 9.5*

Ping i20 3W 15*

Ping G30 3H 19*

4-W Ping S55 Modus3 120S

52* Ping Glide

56* Ping Tour Gorge

60* Ping Glide 2 Stealth

Northwestern Tom Weiskopf-303 Anser clone