2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Washington State - Work on my distances

golflvr

I just came back from vacation and played 3 days in a row and realized my distances for each of my clubs are a little longer.

I want to find a practice facility where I can hit my own balls in an open area.

I used to be a member at a course in the south that had a practice facility area where you can hit shots that are 120 yds and closer.

Anyone know of any course out here in the Seattle area that I can do the same thing?

Obviously I can get my distances locked down as I'm playing full rounds but I would love to get at least some of my distances locked down before I head out again.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same boat...I can't find any practice facilities that I can do that. Eagle Pride (Ft. Lewis), I think has a pretty big area by the chipping areas that you can do that.
[quote name='golflvr' timestamp='1371137359' post='7230660']
I just came back from vacation and played 3 days in a row and realized my distances for each of my clubs are a little longer.
I want to find a practice facility where I can hit my own balls in an open area.
I used to be a member at a course in the south that had a practice facility area where you can hit shots that are 120 yds and closer.
Anyone know of any course out here in the Seattle area that I can do the same thing?

Obviously I can get my distances locked down as I'm playing full rounds but I would love to get at least some of my distances locked down before I head out again.

Thanks in advance
[/quote]

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

[quote name='jamie' timestamp='1371139541' post='7231006']
I'm in the same boat...I can't find any practice facilities that I can do that. Eagle Pride (Ft. Lewis), I think has a pretty big area by the chipping areas that you can do that.
[quote name='golflvr' timestamp='1371137359' post='7230660']

Thanks in advance
[/quote]
[/quote]

Hopefully other Washingtonians will chime in and help us out

Since moving to Seattle (from Virginia Beach, VA), I have struggled with distance. I'm finding I'm much shorter all around (temperature has a bit to do with it, I know), but finding an all-grass practice facility has been killing me. I'm a digger and hitting off the mats ruins my game and doesn't allow me to have constant distances. Other than Redmond Ridge (40 min drive) anyone know an all grass practice facility?

Thanks!

I feel you guys. In Oregon, I was able to find grass tees to hit off of in summer. They weren't always in the best shape, but it's still worlds better than mats. You're almost better off going on a real course during twilight (when it's dead) and practicing out there.

I've compiled this list from my own research of public places in the area that have grass practice tees, but I can't vouch for it as I have not visited all of these locations yet. I've gotten the feeling that if you want these kind of amenities around Seattle, that you have to join a private club. Any other contributions would be appreciated.

Harbour Pointe
Willows Run ( a couple of days a week)
Washington National (mats last time that I was there)
The Home Course
Gold Mountain
White Horse
Kayak Point
Battle Creek
Hawks Prairie
Redmond Ridge
Newcastle (costs something like $30 per hour)

Willows is rarely off grass...I wish they had a schedule.

Eagle Pride (Ft. Lewis)
Mt Si
Horseshoe Lake
Hawks Prairie

[quote name='FlyFish' timestamp='1371366487' post='7253286']
I feel you guys. In Oregon, I was able to find grass tees to hit off of in summer. They weren't always in the best shape, but it's still worlds better than mats. You're almost better off going on a real course during twilight (when it's dead) and practicing out there.

I've compiled this list from my own research of public places in the area that have grass practice tees, but I can't vouch for it as I have not visited all of these locations yet. I've gotten the feeling that if you want these kind of amenities around Seattle, that you have to join a private club. Any other contributions would be appreciated.

Harbour Pointe
Willows Run
The Home Course
Gold Mountain
White Horse
Kayak Point
Battle Creek
Hawks Prairie
Redmond Ridge
[/quote]

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING VALOR CB 35"

Harbour Pointe
The Home Course
Gold Mountain
White Horse
Kayak Point
Battle Creek
Hawks Prairie
Redmond Ridge
[/quote]

You can add (some are out of Seattle):

Prospector
Trophy Lake
Bear Mountain Ranch
Desert Canyon
Mill Creek CC
Everett CC
Avalon
Mccormick Woods

For someone who works at Interbay let me give you some inside knowledge. We had an issue w/ our range balls being found beyond the netting into the soccer field run by SPU back in the fall of 2011. If any of you recall there was a period at our facility we were forced to prohibit woods. During that time we had reached out to a lot of ball manufacturers to find a ball that would help us reduce the likelihood of our balls ever reaching over the fence. The amount of ridiculous ridicule from the crazy SPU sports direct deserves it's own thread but I'm not gonna go there.

To make a long story short we have a range ball that not only feels like a real golf ball and gets distances spot on w/ irons but also reacts as a limited flight ball with your woods. The ball is made by Srixon but essentially feels like a ProV1 off your irons. When the core get's compressed hard with woods it will limit your flight somewhere around 25%. So if you need to practice your irons in my opinion Ibay is the place to go. Sure your drivers may not go as far but who cares about your wood distance as long as it goes straight. We change our balls out every 6 months so the balls are always top notch and not those hard yellow scratched up rocks that make you cringe when deciding wether or not to hit your brand new driver with. The facility is just a quick 5 min drive from Belltown or Ballard and you can even hit up the exec course to really get some practice in on your short irons.

It may not be your own personal brand of ball but the Srixon range balls are some of the best for a range facility I've encountered. I've been on ranges at a couple country clubs around the sound and the quality of them just isn't the same as ibay's.

If you must absolutely play our own balls to practice there is a secret practice facility up at Legion Memorial in Everett, well maybe not a secret to everyone but it's hard to see it from the reg putting green. It's a bit of a drive but there is an open field between holes 13/14 where you can practice to 2 different greens. There is enough room to practice up to around 150yds on one of the holes and about 80 yrd on the other. The greens are sh*t but was designed as a chipping area and is great to hit up after a round. Now that I think of it, there maybe one more practice chipping area between holes 9 and 10 fairway there too.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

That's a good tip on Legion Memorial - I've seen people hitting wedges there while playing but I didn't realize that there are also target greens.

Interbay is a great resource to have so close in. My only wish is that Interbay had more of a short game practice area. The putting green is good but doesn't allow chipping, the bunker is off-limits and the chipping/pitching green that they put in looks like it was sort of an afterthought with no level lies around it. Actually I'd be happy if they installed more lights around the putting green so that it could be used at night.

The course is usually in good condition for how much use it gets and it's the perfect place to take people learning the sport.

Which instructor would you recommend at Interbay for lessons for a woman?

I haven't played out there since they reopened, I didn't even know they changed the name on the reopen. They used to have a huge range, several targets and they used regular gold balls with a stripe. I've used Mt. Si a few times, quiet back of the range off grass and in my experience, the balls have been great...no range balls, just regular golf balls with a stripe...I've hit several pro v1's.
[quote name='FlyFish' timestamp='1371367315' post='7253304']
Has anyone been out to Blue Heron Golf Course (formerly Carnation) since they re-opened? I was reading somewhere else that Carnation used to have decent grass practice tees.
[/quote]

PING VALOR CB 35"

Agreed here. Interbay is really a nice facility to have so close (I live 10 min), and I love hitting the course for a late afternoon stroll. That's where I've done most of my work on my game since moving to Seattle. The mats just kill me. The limited flight balls (with woods) from Srixon aren't anything new, they have a huge benefit of feeling great with irons and reacting fairly similar to a high-end ball with a fairway or driver. Huge kudos to interbay for investing in these.

I too think Interbay should pop in some lights spring/fall putting and chipping, during the summer its light so late it's hard to argue with it.

Thank you to those who've contributed to the grass range list, I'll definitely check it out!

[quote name='FlyFish' timestamp='1371374492' post='7253422']
That's a good tip on Legion Memorial - I've seen people hitting wedges there while playing but I didn't realize that there are also target greens.

Interbay is a great resource to have so close in. My only wish is that Interbay had more of a short game practice area. The putting green is good but doesn't allow chipping, the bunker is off-limits and the chipping/pitching green that they put in looks like it was sort of an afterthought with no level lies around it. Actually I'd be happy if they installed more lights around the putting green so that it could be used at night.

The course is usually in good condition for how much use it gets and it's the perfect place to take people learning the sport.

[/quote]

[quote name='FlyFish' timestamp='1371374492' post='7253422']

[/quote]

Check out Camille or Lindsey. There are free adult clinics every Saturday from 3-4pm which is a great way to meet instructors w/o commiting the cash until you meet the instructor you mesh well with.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='bpark1210' timestamp='1371372284' post='7253388']

Harbour Pointe
The Home Course
Gold Mountain
White Horse
Kayak Point
Battle Creek
Hawks Prairie
Redmond Ridge
[/quote]

You can add (some are out of Seattle):

Prospector
Trophy Lake
Bear Mountain Ranch
Desert Canyon
Mill Creek CC
Everett CC
Avalon
Mccormick Woods

For someone who works at Interbay let me give you some inside knowledge. We had an issue w/ our range balls being found beyond the netting into the soccer field run by SPU back in the fall of 2011. If any of you recall there was a period at our facility we were forced to prohibit woods. During that time we had reached out to a lot of ball manufacturers to find a ball that would help us reduce the likelihood of our balls ever reaching over the fence. The amount of ridiculous ridicule from the crazy SPU sports direct deserves it's own thread but I'm not gonna go there.

To make a long story short we have a range ball that not only feels like a real golf ball and gets distances spot on w/ irons but also reacts as a limited flight ball with your woods. The ball is made by Srixon but essentially feels like a ProV1 off your irons. When the core get's compressed hard with woods it will limit your flight somewhere around 25%. So if you need to practice your irons in my opinion Ibay is the place to go. Sure your drivers may not go as far but who cares about your wood distance as long as it goes straight. We change our balls out every 6 months so the balls are always top notch and not those hard yellow scratched up rocks that make you cringe when deciding wether or not to hit your brand new driver with. The facility is just a quick 5 min drive from Belltown or Ballard and you can even hit up the exec course to really get some practice in on your short irons.

It may not be your own personal brand of ball but the Srixon range balls are some of the best for a range facility I've encountered. I've been on ranges at a couple country clubs around the sound and the quality of them just isn't the same as ibay's.

If you must absolutely play our own balls to practice there is a secret practice facility up at Legion Memorial in Everett, well maybe not a secret to everyone but it's hard to see it from the reg putting green. It's a bit of a drive but there is an open field between holes 13/14 where you can practice to 2 different greens. There is enough room to practice up to around 150yds on one of the holes and about 80 yrd on the other. The greens are sh*t but was designed as a chipping area and is great to hit up after a round. Now that I think of it, there maybe one more practice chipping area between holes 9 and 10 fairway there too.
[/quote]

That's interesting. Didn't know that was the case for the range balls @ Interbay. I'll have to fool around with it a little more to see how close the distances are.
I've been going pretty frequently and that's where I've been doing my distances. I do wish though they just had a bit more chipping areas like the person mentioned above.

I'll have to check out the different places.

[quote name='bruingolf04' timestamp='1371325601' post='7249932']
Since moving to Seattle (from Virginia Beach, VA), I have struggled with distance. I'm finding I'm much shorter all around (temperature has a bit to do with it, I know), but finding an all-grass practice facility has been killing me. I'm a digger and hitting off the mats ruins my game and doesn't allow me to have constant distances. Other than Redmond Ridge (40 min drive) anyone know an all grass practice facility?

Thanks!
[/quote]
Welcome to the Northwest. 2 clubs shorter and nowhere decent to practice, specially in the north sound/Everett area. I'm a digger as well, or at least I prefer to hit down on the ball, and it drives me nuts trying to practice here except for june-sept when some of the courses let you hit off grass.
I seriously hit the ball 15 + yards further when I visit my folks in San Diego. Just spent a week in Hawaii and I was over more greens than I've ever been in my life!

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Haha, I know! Thanks for the reply. I've found that if I play 3-4 rounds at Interbay consecutively, I play a great round of 18 elsewhere the very next round. But, given one warm-up session on a mat and I have to start allover again. Where do you prefer to play?

[quote name='RainShadow' timestamp='1371713062' post='7288176']

Thanks!
[/quote]
Welcome to the Northwest. 2 clubs shorter and nowhere decent to practice, specially in the north sound/Everett area. I'm a digger as well, or at least I prefer to hit down on the ball, and it drives me nuts trying to practice here except for june-sept when some of the courses let you hit off grass.
I seriously hit the ball 15 + yards further when I visit my folks in San Diego. Just spent a week in Hawaii and I was over more greens than I've ever been in my life!
[/quote]

I play all over. Legion Memorial is the driest course around here by far, but I cant seem to read the greens there very well.
I play at Snohomish when it's dry, Harbor Pointe,Up to Avalon now and then. There are alot more courses Seattle on south than there are up here.
I play in the Jorgensen Golf tournys once or twice a month, wo I get to see a few different courses. Just did Salish Cliffs last Saturday. Played like crap but wone a skin and a KP.
I'm off Friday-Sunday. PM me if you wnt to get a round in sometime.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I have a range plan at Newcastle....May thru Sept the back range (east range with grass) is open. Right in front of you there are 4 flags on fake grass greens to shot at....depending where the tee blocks are placed, they range from 75 to 145 yards.

Also, there is 3 practice greens behind the actual range and one of them I can practice up to 125 yards out uphill into a small real grass green. I tend to bring my shag bag of Titleist Pro V's back there, but the TM range balls are pretty darn good range balls and more often then not, they at like new.

The plan is pricey for sure....one needs to hit two large buckets of balls a week to make the range plan balance out when compared to just walking up and buying a bucket with no access to the grass range.

The view is awesome back there and the condition are not bad.

Here is a pic
[attachment=1753548:image.jpg]
[attachment=1753546:image.jpg]

All the Country Clubs I can think of have grass teeing grounds.
[quote name='FlyFish' timestamp='1372390720' post='7339492']
Out of curiosity, do the private clubs around Seattle have grass tees, or do they tend to be mats-only as well?
[/quote]

PING VALOR CB 35"

Thanks!
[/quote]

Welcome to the NorthWest. It's the same here in Vancouver. Very few grass ranges because of the amount of rain we get.

I love when people from warmer areas come here to play golf. A few years back this friend of a friend from Texas came up and we played a round together. On the first hole he had honours (we flipped a tee) and he casually waited till the guys ahead were at least 350 out. I finally asked if he was going to hit and he said, 'well, I might come close.' and I don't want to say anything as this guy's a former Div2 player. Swing, solid contact, 255 yards. He's just looking at the ball with this incredulous look and I give him my best grin and say 'Welcome to Vancouver! Your elevation for today is sea level and the air is extra heavy!'

He had a hell of a time adjusting his distances. Finally started to put it together on the back 9 but he just couldn't accept the difference at first.

WhiZ

[quote name='WhiZ' timestamp='1372476720' post='7346006']

Thanks!
[/quote]

Welcome to the NorthWest. It's the same here in Vancouver. Very few grass ranges because of the amount of rain we get.

I love when people from warmer areas come here to play golf. A few years back this friend of a friend from Texas came up and we played a round together. On the first hole he had honours (we flipped a tee) and he casually waited till the guys ahead were at least 350 out. I finally asked if he was going to hit and he said, 'well, I might come close.' and I don't want to say anything as this guy's a former Div2 player. Swing, solid contact, 255 yards. He's just looking at the ball with this incredulous look and I give him my best grin and say 'Welcome to Vancouver! Your elevation for today is sea level and the air is extra heavy!'

He had a hell of a time adjusting his distances. Finally started to put it together on the back 9 but he just couldn't accept the difference at first.

WhiZ
[/quote]

Haha. I'm definitely learning to adjust. Golf is such a mental game that not knowing your exact distances for a full season can be frustrating.

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1372475424' post='7345824']
[quote name='gin and tonic' timestamp='1372436864' post='7342208']
+1 on the Legion practice area. Have been using it for years. Also love the Newcastle back range. A bit pricey is an understatement, but it's a treat to use.
[/quote]

Since when is "free" pricey?
[/quote]

It pays to know people!