2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Has anyone played Trump National in LA?

I3erto

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played twice -- excellent conditions and great ocean views, although some of the holes play too similarly (narrow straightaway with cliffs/ocean on one side of the fairway). Typical Trump gimics like a waterfall behind the first green. I liked Pelican Hill better although that was many years ago.

Bottom line -- great at a twilight rate. Would think twice about paying full rack.

Unless you are a low single digit handicap, I would not recommend Trump LA. While it has great views and the conditions were very good, on most of the holes, if you are not in the fairway your ball will be lost. On the other hand, I really liked Pelican Hill (South) and would highly recommend it. The course was in great condition and has a good mix of challenging holes and some good birdie opportunities.

[quote name='I3erto' timestamp='1371485598' post='7263706']
Looks like a really cool course. Just looking for any feedback from anyone who has played it. I am trying to book a nice round on the ocean in the LA/OC area. Any other courses I should look at? Ive heard mixed reviews for Pelican Hill and Monarch Beach.
[/quote]

Mixed reviews of Pelican? North or South are both spectacular- just in different ways. Monarch on the other hand is just ok. I'll only play there if somebody has a deal.

Like someone else said, you better be on your game to play Trump. Pretty much every hole has trouble...especially from the tee. I need to be able to spray the ball a little bit and this course does not allow for that whatsoever. :)

Kekoa, that's the first thing I thought too!! Mixed reviews at Peli? How can that be?

Pelican is really a nice place. Overpriced yes but if you come off the courses there disgruntled, you've got serious issues. Trump is just a bad, horrid layout with nice views. The golf is terrible. Nobody plays Trump and raves about it. They always bite their tongue and think really hard before answering the typical "how was the course?" question.

Interesting comments. Trump back tees are rated 75/146 @6853 yds; Blue tees 72.1/138 @6200+yds, making it rather difficult for most golfers. That said, I don't know anyone that's played it, felt it was a bad experience, even if they lost some balls. You have to hit the ball reasonably straight and control distances. If that can't be done, you're going to have a not too fun experience. There are reasons Trump was able to get the LPGA played there... yet, Bren has not been able to bring a professional tournament to Pelican; both north and south are easy with wide landing areas, by my standards.

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1371497810' post='7265410']
Interesting comments. Trump back tees are rated 75/146 @6853 yds; Blue tees 72.1/138 @6200+yds, making it rather difficult for most golfers. That said, I don't know anyone that's played it, felt it was a bad experience, even if they lost some balls. You have to hit the ball reasonably straight and control distances. If that can't be done, you're going to have a not too fun experience. There are reasons Trump was able to get the LPGA played there... yet, Bren has not been able to bring a professional tournament to Pelican; both north and south are easy with wide landing areas, by my standards.
[/quote]

Trump got the LPGA there because they threw money at them and the Don needed the pub to tout his course. When Annika S. and Karrie Webb are complaining about the course after the first round, you knew they weren't coming back and they haven't. And you're wrong about Pelican. Pelican hosted a Wendy's Three Tour Challenge there although the sponsors were different and it wasn't called the Wendy's Three Tour Challenge. Marc Calcavechia Freddie C and others were there. The news of that tourney was that Freddie doubled the par 4 18th on the South and said that was one of the more difficult par 4s he's ever played.

[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1371499799' post='7265720']
[/quote]

Trump got the LPGA there because they threw money at them and the Don needed the pub to tout his course. When Annika S. and Karrie Webb are complaining about the course after the first round, you knew they weren't coming back and they haven't. And you're wrong about Pelican. Pelican hosted a Wendy's Three Tour Challenge there although the sponsors were different and it wasn't called the Wendy's Three Tour Challenge. Marc Calcavechia Freddie C and others were there. The news of that tourney was that Freddie doubled the par 4 18th on the South and said that was one of the more difficult par 4s he's ever played.
[/quote]

Com'on, the 3-tour challenge is exhibition, not a formal tournament like the LGPA, and player complaints have no bearing on the courses financial ability to attract a tour event. The fact remains the LPGA played at Trump. And to get any professional tournament, the course has to cough up money; Merion and the US Open are perfect examples of that issue.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

So pass on Trump and play pelican? Are there any other courses I should consider? Those were just the three that I knew of on the water. I am open to any other suggestions if there is a must play course in the area, I just don't know of any in LA/OC (my own ignorance).

To clarify about the negative I have heard about pelican wasn't about the course itself, just about the price of admission. People not thinking it was really worth the money they paid to play. That said I haven't heard anything negative about the course layout, scenary, or conditions there. I don't know anyone that has played trump, so all i know is what is available on the website.

[quote name='I3erto' timestamp='1371501319' post='7265942']
So pass on Trump and play pelican? Are there any other courses I should consider? Those were just the three that I knew of on the water. I am open to any other suggestions if there is a must play course in the area, I just don't know of any in LA/OC (my own ignorance).

To clarify about the negative I have heard about pelican wasn't about the course itself, just about the price of admission. People not thinking it was really worth the money they paid to play. That said I haven't heard anything negative about the course layout, scenary, or conditions there. I don't know anyone that has played trump, so all i know is what is available on the website.
[/quote]

If you want a some water how about los verdes. they are american golf. You get a few nice ocean views and rates aren't bad. Word of advise would be to play early on a weekday or you could be out there for 5-6 hrs.

[/quote]

If you are suggesting that people don't like Trump because of its supposed difficulty, you are wrong. The last time I played it, three of us shot low 70's and one shot a 69. We all agreed that, great views notwithstanding, it was a middling track with uninteresting holes. Great views, great conditions, but blah golf. As for the statement, "There are reasons Trump was able to get the LPGA played there," there are also reasons why it hasn't been able to attract anything else to be played there, unless you count the annual "Michael Douglas and Friends" joke. It was a dud when it was Ocean Trails, and it is still a dud with Trump's name on it.

[quote name='trojangolfer' timestamp='1371507669' post='7266702']
[/quote]

If you are suggesting that people don't like Trump because of its supposed difficulty, you are wrong. The last time I played it, three of us shot low 70's and one shot a 69. We all agreed that, great views notwithstanding, it was a middling track with uninteresting holes. Great views, great conditions, but blah golf. As for the statement, "There are reasons Trump was able to get the LPGA played there," there are also reasons why it hasn't been able to attract anything else to be played there, unless you count the annual "Michael Douglas and Friends" joke. It was a dud when it was Ocean Trails, and it is still a dud with Trump's name on it.
[/quote]

OK - based on your thinking, Pelican is a dud as well. All it offers are views of the ocean and expensive homes, not to mention huge landing areas and expensive green fees. I've played both since the remake and thought easy, Trump as well. As far as I am concerned none of them are all that great, just that Pelican tracks are rated easier than Trump, and I am not predisposed regarding Trump or Bren. Oh well, to each his own.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1371500771' post='7265868']
[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1371499799' post='7265720']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Com'on, the 3-tour challenge is exhibition, not a formal tournament like the LGPA, and player complaints have no bearing on the courses financial ability to attract a tour event. The fact remains the LPGA played at Trump. And to get any professional tournament, the course has to cough up money; Merion and the US Open are perfect examples of that issue.
[/quote]

I was just pointing out your statement about Pelican not hosting a Tour event was wrong. Who cares if it is a "exhibition" or full-fledged event? It is run by the PGA Tour and saying that Peli has never hosted a Tour event is wrong. Pelican wasn't built to be a host PGA tournament course. It is not crowd friendly and blah blah blah it is a resort course. The Irvine Co. couldn't care less about the PGA Tour coming to their course. The PGA Tour is beneath them. Trump needed the pub and he got it. BTW, this is completely OT and not in the slightest helping the OP out at all. He wanted opinions and you start talking about there are reasons Trump got the LPGA to come to his course. That has absolutely nothing at all even remotely to do with the quality of the golf course. The Tour would play on Goat Tract USA if enough sponsor money was thrown at them.

Go to LA/SD a lot for work and have played both many times. Here are my observations:

Scenic Views:
Trump tops Pelican pretty dramatically as every hole has view of the ocean.

Course:
Pelican gets a slight edge here, but that's only because Trump doesn't have really any doglegs. Pelican has a couple of slight doglegs, but nothing to really write home about either. Trump has the edge on difficulty as both Pelican courses are pretty easy and feel kind of "resortish" as they are pretty open and big greens. Trump is just tight and has some long holes from the backs.

Condition:
This is no contest to me as Trump is always in great shape and every time I've played Pelican in the last 2 years, the conditions of the greens have sub par. Have yet to play Trump when it wasn't pristine.

Scenery:
If you like for people to be walking on the course through a public state park, then choose Trump as you talk to some interesting people. If you like to see some gargantuan homes and want to feel like you are at a resort, choose Pelican.

If it were me since I play these all the time, I would drive the 1hr 15min south and play Aviara that is a better course than both of those combined in my opinion.

[quote name='Chilidog' timestamp='1371567009' post='7271738']
Go to LA/SD a lot for work and have played both many times. Here are my observations:

Scenic Views:
Trump tops Pelican pretty dramatically as every hole has view of the ocean.

Course:
Pelican gets a slight edge here, but that's only because Trump doesn't have really any doglegs. Pelican has a couple of slight doglegs, but nothing to really write home about either. Trump has the edge on difficulty as both Pelican courses are pretty easy and feel kind of "resortish" as they are pretty open and big greens. Trump is just tight and has some long holes from the backs.

Condition:
This is no contest to me as Trump is always in great shape and every time I've played Pelican in the last 2 years, the conditions of the greens have sub par. Have yet to play Trump when it wasn't pristine.

Scenery:
If you like for people to be walking on the course through a public state park, then choose Trump as you talk to some interesting people. If you like to see some gargantuan homes and want to feel like you are at a resort, choose Pelican.

If it were me since I play these all the time, I would drive the 1hr 15min south and play Aviara that is a better course than both of those combined in my opinion.
[/quote]

I agree 100% :)

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1371568464' post='7272054']
By Pepper's standard, harder = better. In my personal experience, I've discovered that isn't necessarily true.

Also, it's silly to believe that a course's hosting of a golf tournament is any indication of quality.
[/quote]

Agree 100%. Typical thought process of the golf challenged..

[quote name='trojangolfer' timestamp='1371574593' post='7273210']
[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1371517965' post='7268178']
As far as I am concerned none of them are all that great
[/quote]

On this, we can agree. [u]The only "great" courses in the LA area are private[/u].
[/quote]

True

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1371501682' post='7265986']
[quote name='I3erto' timestamp='1371501319' post='7265942']

[/quote]

If you want a some water how about los verdes. they are american golf. You get a few nice ocean views and rates aren't bad. Word of advise would be to play early on a weekday or you could be out there for 5-6 hrs.
[/quote]

Agree about Los Verdes. Its slow, and its not pristine, but its got some great views and its like $50.

Also, OP, if youve got an entire day to kill, drive 2 hours (way less if youre staying in OC), and hit up Torrey.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1371584770' post='7274982']
Rustic Canyon is a great course and is public access.
[/quote]

Who the heck wants to drive to Simi Valley - north yuck. :)

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1371585919' post='7275144']
Man, some of you guys have thrown the OP for a loop. He went from asking about Trump and now you guys are recomminging private clubs. lol.

Oh, Hillcrest is an amazing track if you can get out there. I really enjoy Virginia, Hacienda, and Bel Aire as well. Ok, lets just throw in Riv and LA CC for good measure.
[/quote]

Quality public courses are greatly limited through out SoCA. On the other hand, private tracks provide quality golf experiences. For example, Hacienda Golf Club where Tiger carded 62 for the course record along with both Coto De Caza tracks; outstanding condition, bring game. :)

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

• 3 months later...