2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

A Set For All Seasons

Well I have taken the Pings out for a test run twice now. One round each with each son. These better be illegal cause I fel like I am stealing playing them, especially the wedges and putter. Having some issues with the long irons on full shots, but I am not used to that much offset and the lie angle is 2 degrees more upright than I normally play. So long left has been the miss. Weaker lofts, but used to that with the vintage stuff anyway. The wedges are like the ball is on a string and I have never putted as good in my life as the last two days. If it keeps up these may be in the bag for the City Senior in November.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way BS. I ain't no Darth OSR. I actually was playing better with my sons xstiff Mizzy Blades than the eye2s they bought me, so am gonna be changing some shafts on my Wilson's and see how they fly. I found a wonderful old Cash in Carry putter a couple of weeks ago that is doing pretty good on the practice green. But I do have to say I didn't miss a putt from 15 feet in the last two days with that Anser, and I chipped 2 in from just off the fringe yesterday with the eye2 sw. Don't remember the game being that easy. Lolol.

Russard, so far, so good. I contribute it to having an uninterrupted block of time to work on aspects of my physical weaknesses with respect to my game (lack of flexibility,) and crazy amount of time to only practice the short game.
Before the incident which put me on the shelve for the last 4 or 5 months I was lucky to have a two week period at a time to play, let alone practice, before I would be out of the country for a month or six weeks . This mad pace had been going on for the last few years. Hard to keep your game sharp under those conditions.
Hopefully I will have enough sense, if I return to the world of work, to do so in moderation, but I am an all in type of guy so we will see.
Until that decision is made I will be putting in my due diligence with regards to my game and loving every moment of it.

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1378934388' post='7834077']
No way BS. I ain't no Darth OSR. I actually was playing better with my sons xstiff Mizzy Blades than the eye2s they bought me, so am gonna be changing some shafts on my Wilson's and see how they fly. I found a wonderful old Cash in Carry putter a couple of weeks ago that is doing pretty good on the practice green. But I do have to say I didn't miss a putt from 15 feet in the last two days with that Anser, and I chipped 2 in from just off the fringe yesterday with the eye2 sw. Don't remember the game being that easy. Lolol.
[/quote]

Phew! Stand down the marshalls!

It does sound like you've made good use of your time. Been trying to make a similar investment myself - but still waiting to see it bear fruit. Great to hear that you're seeing results.

Booo OSR.

You make me feel like playing my Pings, especially as my FG-17s need a regrip, and I'm losing faith in the Apex IIs.

Maybe after work today.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

SMac, how is the good fight going? Break out the old Ping a Lings for a swirl around the track. I don't think it would hurt. I actually find renewed interest and trust in the old gear after a couple of rounds with the Pings. Took the Wilson's. the Speedslots and the Cash In out for a practice session this morning. Hopefully the rain will letup and I can get a round in or two before the weekend.

Well, not going too well - a three week layoff due to vacation, and I've struggled with the clubs since getting back.

The grips on the FG-17 are pretty much unplayable, so they're in the garage awaiting regrip. The Apex IIs came out, and were lead taped to try and bring the swingweight up. Completely changed the feel of the clubs, and not in a good way. I'm thinking despite my original enthusiasm for the Apex IIs, they are just not a good fit for my game, and I should maybe start looking for a set of R flex Hogan Radials. Due to my shallow swing, I just need a little more mass low on the clubhead, like with the FG-17s. Otherwise, any approach I hit with the 7i down becomes a screamer.

Did take the Eye2s out the other day, and it was hilarious. Every time I swung an iron, I was waiting for feedback I didn't get. I'm sure not every swing was completely on the sweet spot, but with the exception of a toe hit out of deep rough, I found very little feedback from the clubs. This suggests that:
a) Playing blades makes you a better ball striker. You have no choice.
b) GI irons make the game easier

The season is starting to wind down here, and I'm sure the pins and greens will be closed at the local course within the next 3-4 weeks. Then it's time to park the sets for the year, and move on to important pursuits like eating chicken wings, drinking beer, and watching NFL football.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1379513764' post='7871107']
What!!! The courses closed in 3 or 4 weeks... Wow, and I am upset that the local muni is closing each nine for a couple months during the winter for an irrigation project.
[/quote]

The joys of being a golfer in Canada.

The longest season I've seen was a course open last week of March (and it was in very poor shape, with "browns" instead of greens), and close end-October. Frost starts coming, and leaving the course open damages the greens especially bad. You can golf until the snow hits (sometimes before and sometimes after Halloween), but there are usually flags off the greens, and no putting to speak of.

7 months is a very long season, with many being in the 6 month range. That's why so many Canadians come down to SC (or Phoenix, or Florida) for winter golf trips.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1379509812' post='7870731']
Well, not going too well - a three week layoff due to vacation, and I've struggled with the clubs since getting back.

The grips on the FG-17 are pretty much unplayable, so they're in the garage awaiting regrip. The Apex IIs came out, and were lead taped to try and bring the swingweight up. Completely changed the feel of the clubs, and not in a good way. [b]I'm thinking despite my original enthusiasm for the Apex IIs, they are just not a good fit for my game, and I should maybe start looking for a set of R flex Hogan Radials. Due to my shallow swing, I just need a little more mass low on the clubhead, like with the FG-17s. Otherwise, any approach I hit with the 7i down becomes a screamer.[/b]

Did take the Eye2s out the other day, and it was hilarious. Every time I swung an iron, I was waiting for feedback I didn't get. I'm sure not every swing was completely on the sweet spot, but with the exception of a toe hit out of deep rough, I found very little feedback from the clubs. This suggests that:

The season is starting to wind down here, and I'm sure the pins and greens will be closed at the local course within the next 3-4 weeks. Then it's time to park the sets for the year, and move on to important pursuits like eating chicken wings, drinking beer, and watching NFL football.
[/quote]

Pick up a set of Apex Redlines ('88-89 model). They are really really easy to hit compared to FG-17s and Apex II. Lots of weight down low, and lots easier to look at address than Radials. If you find them too light, pair them with Dynamic Golds.

The grips on the FG-17 are pretty much unplayable, so they're in the garage awaiting regrip.
[/quote]

That's why a backup set of FG-17s is a must! ;) I've been lucky recently, I've found sets for £10 and £6.

[/quote]

I was in St Andrews a couple of days ago and found a full set of eye 2s for £20, which I couldn't pass up. Took them to the range (luckily with a set of FG-49s which I also found the same day- it was a really good day!) so I know the feeling (that you were [i]not[/i] getting!).

I can't leave well enough alone. Just when I think I have my bag set, at least for the rest of the season, albeit, we have pretty much year round golf here, I, on in the case lately, one of my sons runs across something they think the old man may like. Here's the latest kit, and this one has potential to make a large percentage of my rounds during the remainder of this, and the next year.
First, the Ping love affair was short lived. Not they they are not as advertised, they are. Actually found a set of ISI's to augment the Eye2's. Both will be on the bay later. I am gonna miss that eye2 sw, but found an original Dynapower sw that was quite impressive this morning. So here's some pics of my new BFF's.
Another note: A friend of my wife told me Saturday that they have an old barn with a number of sets in it and I am welcome to come pick some out. Will report back if anything I find is worth posting.

That looks like a great combination to make friends with over the next few rounds!

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

I've been playing something not all that different from OldSchool's set up for a little over 50% of my golf this year. I think I mentioned it several pages ago but never got around to posting a picture. Here's my all seasons WITB:[list]
[*]Early 80s Mac T945 12* driver -- Dynamic stiff shaft. I like the extra loft with the modern ball. Makes it easier to hit high floaters downwind, but still plenty easy to keep the ball low when desired. 260's possible nutted downwind, but 235-240 is typical.
[*]Late 80s Hogan Apex 4 wood -- Apex 4 shaft. Love the versatility. In the winter here, we play in some very very windy conditions. There's one course where a 160-180 yard knuckle ball 15 feet off the ground straight into the prevailing wind is a shot I'll hit 6 or 7 times per round with this club. It's really amazing the feel you can get for dialing in exact distances with a 50% swing and enough repetitions. "Stock" swing in calm conditions is 205-ish, though it's not that hard to dial it up or down a little. Really a super versatile club. With the driver at 12* and my 4i at 25* this 4 wood covers a lot of ground.
[*]Wilson '76 Staffs 4i through PW -- PX flighted 5.5 shafts. Gave up on the 3 iron, no real need for it considering how much I like the 4w, and I like carrying a super light bag when walking (11 clubs, 3 balls, 3 tees, 1.5 lb. bag). If I go after a 4i I can get 190 out of it, but 180 is a more comfortable swing. I love the combo of PX flighted shafts and old blades. They're 115g vs. 130g for DGS300 and I like my irons built off of a 38" or 38.25" 5i, so the PX's swingweight really nice in old heads. Spine them and dowel them when building and it adds a lot of consistency to old irons where before you might've had one or two totally wonky clubs per set on account of bad shafts.
[*]Hogan Redline SW. Love the sole design and head shape. I hit pretty much every shot from 100 yards in with it.
[*]Late 70's Ping Anser, excellent patina, cut down to 33", gobs of lead tape in the cavity. What can I say, I've just never been a Bullseye guy.
[/list]
All the clubs are at least a little beat up and don't have any collectors value, so I never feel tense about rocks or toe balls or what have you. If I'm going to play a modern course with my modern friends, I drop the persimmon in favor of a 983K driver, 906F 3 and 5 woods, add a FliHi 2 or 3 iron, and swap out the Hogan SW for a 53/58 set up. That brings me up to 14 clubs. Pretty straight forward really. (The Wilsons I can play no matter what, but I'm an unrepentant iron ho with plenty of storage so that's subject to change on the slightest whim). Anyhow,

[attachment=1888791:IMG_0328.JPG]

That is a great set up. I think I had a driver like that back in the 80's, and the 5 wood to match that 4. I traded the driver and the 5 wood cracked in play-it was a blemish club.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Wow, I played almost that exact same set up only I carried a three iron and 3-5 Wilson strata blocs when I was on the college golf team (div. III, no big deal) 76-78. Had a Mac driver just like that and a bullseye with one of those Wilson R something sand wedges with the brown shaft. Neat set up. I'm sure it's fun to play. That was the last set I had before I bought my (uh oh, here it comes) Eye 2s. Been playing Eye 2s, and also a set of original eyes as well, on and off ever since.

As the guy who started this thread I've been an utter failure in finding vintage blades that work for me, my Toski persimmons are great, but irons, no go yet. Tried 70s Macs and 50s Hogans. Still looking. Trying to not use the bay, only thrift shops, but of course that is a needle in a haystack sort of situation.

Oh well...next year in Jerusalem.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

[quote name='jmck' timestamp='1380058590' post='7905469']
I've been playing something not all that different from OldSchool's set up for a little over 50% of my golf this year. I think I mentioned it several pages ago but never got around to posting a picture. Here's my all seasons WITB:[list]
[*]Early 80s Mac T945 12* driver -- Dynamic stiff shaft. I like the extra loft with the modern ball. Makes it easier to hit high floaters downwind, but still plenty easy to keep the ball low when desired. 260's possible nutted downwind, but 235-240 is typical.
[*]Late 80s Hogan Apex 4 wood -- Apex 4 shaft. Love the versatility. In the winter here, we play in some very very windy conditions. There's one course where a 160-180 yard knuckle ball 15 feet off the ground straight into the prevailing wind is a shot I'll hit 6 or 7 times per round with this club. It's really amazing the feel you can get for dialing in exact distances with a 50% swing and enough repetitions. "Stock" swing in calm conditions is 205-ish, though it's not that hard to dial it up or down a little. Really a super versatile club. With the driver at 12* and my 4i at 25* this 4 wood covers a lot of ground.
[*]Wilson '76 Staffs 4i through PW -- PX flighted 5.5 shafts. Gave up on the 3 iron, no real need for it considering how much I like the 4w, and I like carrying a super light bag when walking (11 clubs, 3 balls, 3 tees, 1.5 lb. bag). If I go after a 4i I can get 190 out of it, but 180 is a more comfortable swing. I love the combo of PX flighted shafts and old blades. They're 115g vs. 130g for DGS300 and I like my irons built off of a 38" or 38.25" 5i, so the PX's swingweight really nice in old heads. Spine them and dowel them when building and it adds a lot of consistency to old irons where before you might've had one or two totally wonky clubs per set on account of bad shafts.
[*]Hogan Redline SW. Love the sole design and head shape. I hit pretty much every shot from 100 yards in with it.
[*]Late 70's Ping Anser, excellent patina, cut down to 33", gobs of lead tape in the cavity. What can I say, I've just never been a Bullseye guy.
[/list]
All the clubs are at least a little beat up and don't have any collectors value, so I never feel tense about rocks or toe balls or what have you. If I'm going to play a modern course with my modern friends, I drop the persimmon in favor of a 983K driver, 906F 3 and 5 woods, add a FliHi 2 or 3 iron, and swap out the Hogan SW for a 53/58 set up. That brings me up to 14 clubs. Pretty straight forward really. (The Wilsons I can play no matter what, but I'm an unrepentant iron ho with plenty of storage so that's subject to change on the slightest whim). Anyhow,

[attachment=1888791:IMG_0328.JPG]
[/quote]
This is a lovely looking bag, like the finish on the irons, they just look well used..

And what a thread it has been KDad. Don't beat yourself up over the old Pings. They have a flair all their own. And I certainly understand about wanting to find the vintage gear at thrift shops. Most places think the vintage golf clubs are trash and treat them that way, so one can pick them up for a song. Not so much at Pawn shops, a couple of songs, but usually still within reason. Estate sales have been a good source also. Keep fighting the good fight and when you least expect it....

[quote name='Kirasdad' timestamp='1380079793' post='7907005']
Wow, I played almost that exact same set up only I carried a three iron and 3-5 Wilson strata blocs when I was on the college golf team (div. III, no big deal) 76-78. Had a Mac driver just like that and a bullseye with one of those Wilson R something sand wedges with the brown shaft. Neat set up. I'm sure it's fun to play. That was the last set I had before I bought my (uh oh, here it comes) Eye 2s. Been playing Eye 2s, and also a set of original eyes as well, on and off ever since.

As the guy who started this thread I've been an utter failure in finding vintage blades that work for me, my Toski persimmons are great, but irons, no go yet. Tried 70s Macs and 50s Hogans. Still looking. Trying to not use the bay, only thrift shops, but of course that is a needle in a haystack sort of situation.

Oh well...next year in Jerusalem.
[/quote]

Shalom! Was someone else watching Anthony Bourdain this week?

Craigslist is a source of wealth for clubs (in Canada we have Kijiji). I picked up the FG-17s with two woods (1+3) for $20. Scour them ads and look for what seems to appeal to you. Funny enough, sometimes the less "popular" clubs can be picked up for a reasonable rate. If you want Apex Redlines, they cost a bit. If you want Apex IIs, they're a good deal. If you want Radials, maybe even better.

If you want Magnums, check your sanity (ugggh - Teevons post has scarred me).

For some reason, old clubs that say Spalding and Maxfli don't see to hold their value either, despite putting out many stout sets. But as my adventures with the Apex II attent to (and as Froth or NRJyzer keep reminding me), flex is everything.

Regardless, if you can pick a set up for $20-30, think how much cost this is in your grand scheme of golfing? Less than 1 doz. ProVs. For a freaking set of US made irons. Wow. Heck, I see an add on Craigslist in LA with the heading (came up with a search for Hogan) Sep 24 - ASSORTED GOLF CLUBS - $15 (Glendale) - looks like a set of Apex irons.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

SMac, speaking if flex. I have found something interesting since coming back from my surgery sabbatical. After the Ping experiment I played a round with my two sons. Swingspeeds of 109 and 118 respectfully. They had picked up some blades to test out and I naturally had to have a crack at them as we were playing. Much to my surprise my shot pattern with their x flex shafts was markedly better, without losing more than half a club distance, than my sets in either stiff or regular. Picked up a set of dgx300 old Mac blades, which I posted earlier and played with them yesterday. Very impressed with the ball fight and shot disperction. Perhaps you should look into going against the grain and moving up in flex. Just a thought. I have come to believe that the transition is more important with regard to shaft flex than purely swingspeed alone.

OldSchool, those Hogan Decades are great irons. They are a replica/remake of the 73 Apexes. The Equalizer has a sole that is a little too wide IMHO, but overall the set is rock solid. I just picked up a set that may kick the Apex PCs out of the bag.

You have nice kids to have them scour those clubs up for you :)

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1380128085' post='7908995']
SMac, speaking if flex. I have found something interesting since coming back from my surgery sabbatical. After the Ping experiment I played a round with my two sons. Swingspeeds of 109 and 118 respectfully. They had picked up some blades to test out and I naturally had to have a crack at them as we were playing. Much to my surprise my shot pattern with their x flex shafts was markedly better, without losing more than half a club distance, than my sets in either stiff or regular. Picked up a set of dgx300 old Mac blades, which I posted earlier and played with them yesterday. Very impressed with the ball fight and shot disperction. Perhaps you should look into going against the grain and moving up in flex. Just a thought. I have come to believe that the transition is more important with regard to shaft flex than purely swingspeed alone.
[/quote]

That is an interesting thought, especially as my now favourite 3 and 5W have Apex 5 Pro shafts on them.

I'm guessing it is more than flex - likely a combination of flex, swing weight, and shaft weight.

Agree with the transition piece as well. I do have a fairly quick transition, and did actually have an all S-Flex bag as of 2011. Problem I had is that dispersion was no better with the irons, and I got into "leaking high fade" mode with the woods who's faces I couldn't get closed in time.

Stiff shafts don't seem to be a bother as long as the swing weight is high enough. This being said, I'm enjoying the nice smooth tempo blades force me to use, and the R flex so far is letting me feel this throughout the swing. Once I swap for the Radials this weekend, we'll see what I still think. Love the FG-17s almost enough to dump the Pings. However, I'm pretty sure I got a daughter who can get good use out of 'em.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

SMac,
I am meeting a guy Tuesday who has about 10 vintage sets he wants to get off his hands. Among them, a set of fg17s, 1-pw, a couple of sets of Dynapowers, and a few Haigs. Plus he has a 78 Hogan and a couple of TP drivers. Will see what he wants for them and if anyone is interested will act as a middle man. Free of charge of course.

I would be interested myself, but after my booty haul during the last two weeks I am running out of space.

Have enough projects to last me for years and I liked the Mac Pro 82's and the '70ish Dynapowers so much that I got rid of my 690.mbs. Never thought that would happen.