2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Pinned? Best modern balls for vintage clubs

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1431013270' post='11516833']
[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1431010267' post='11516533']
scomac, in my experience, scores not need be damned by eschewing the modern clubs.

I've posted about this in other threads, and probably more than once in the Classic folders... each of my forays into the world of regular persimmon-only golf has been met by an improvement in my scores (aside from a full year of Eye2+, and a couple months of ISI use, I've already had classic blades in the bag). My initial several month effort, the improvement was slight, but still noticeable. My second extended effort took me from low double digit hdcp to upper single digit.

There are a lot of factors in play, but I don't want to clutter the thread any more than I already have. Just felt obliged to point out you may not be discarding focus on score in order to play the clubs you enjoy. :)
[/quote]

Of this I have no doubt. All it will take is some time, but the transition period can be discouraging to some who upon giving up strokes may well be inclined to view the exercise as a lark.

The more used I get to playing vintage clubs, the more foreign the modern iterations feel in my hands. Even next to my compact little War bird driver, the modern Ti club seems like such a crude instrument. It certainly sounds that way despite its advantages when squared up.
[/quote]

What I've felt I've needed, each time I take an extended persimmon period of golf, is some range time with them, to refamiliarize myself with the smaller clubheads, and their different nature. Especially with the driver, as it's different world down to even ball position and tee height.

Once I get a bit of time under my belt, it's no big deal.

It's a lot like hitting modern hybrids, in a way. They're of a similar size.

Trajectory is different, though. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='DonMega884' timestamp='1430992133' post='11515313']
Why use vintage clubs? It's like going from WIFI internet to AOL 5.0
[/quote]I will answer you like I answered a fellow the other day who inquired about my modifies KZG 2 iron. He asked me 'why do you hit that thing?" Because I still CAN I replied. I play the vintage stuff some because I can still hit it and most people cant hit my moderns anyhow. BTW the KZG 2 iron is 17* with a soft tipped S-300 41 in length. Of course If I rally wanted to impress you I can pull out my old 985 Custom 1 iron with an X100 and jump on it and hit it. Don't have to jump on the KZG as much

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1431032417' post='11518671']
[quote name='DonMega884' timestamp='1430992133' post='11515313']
Why use vintage clubs? It's like going from WIFI internet to AOL 5.0
[/quote]I will answer you like I answered a fellow the other day who inquired about my modifies KZG 2 iron. He asked me 'why do you hit that thing?" Because I still CAN I replied. I play the vintage stuff some because I can still hit it and most people cant hit my moderns anyhow. BTW the KZG 2 iron is 17* with a soft tipped S-300 41 in length. Of course If I rally wanted to impress you I can pull out my old 985 Custom 1 iron with an X100 and jump on it and hit it. Don't have to jump on the KZG as much
[/quote]

More memory trigger action LOL

The only time a random someone has ever commented on the contents of my bag was when a group ahead of my friends and I waved us through on the second tee box. They saw our tee shots and were apparently worried about holding us up (I found this funny). Hole #2 on this course is a 335-340 yard dogleg left with some tree action, so i hit my 2 iron.

One of the guys noticed I was hitting an iron, and as we went back and forth about hitting with an audience, saw what I had in hand and said "you did it with a 2 iron? And, a blade 2 iron, no less! Wow!"

I still internally chuckle to myself over that.

I also still don't see the big deal about it. <shrug>

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

HC, I have not played them, but the reviews I've read suggest a firmer feeling ball (cast urethane a la Nike). This being said, I pretty much think any urethane ball is fine off persimmon. I didn't even mind using the Callaway Hex Black Tour off vintage, and it is about as hard as tour balls have been in years.

For consideration, if they have the Gamer Tours on sale right now, they are not a bad option. Those I have played, and they have a nice medium feel.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I was poking around on ebay, looking at wound balls, getting a laugh out of guys pricing their single dozens for $70 or more, when I ran across a ball I thought worth mentioning.

A seller, with whom I'm not affiliated in any way, called Lefty's Pro Shop, appears to have a few dozen Precept Tour Premium balls out there, priced in the low $20s per dozen. There was a Tour Premium and a Tour Premium LS, the former is probably as close to balata as you're going to find in a solid core ball, or so the story went at the time, the latter a somewhat lower spin version for higher speed players who didn't need quite that much spin.

I played the Tour Premium LS for a while, liked it quite a bit. Of course, it went away, as such things do.

Thought some of y'all might be interested. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would start the ball rolling, again, and pun intended.
Played yesterday with the Maxfli u3 and found it on par with the Wilson Duo, except for looking worse for wear after a round.
I play two balls during a round, rotating them after each hole. Timeout if a bad hole, a reward break if a good hole.
Kept the same two in play yesterday until the 16th when my tee ball entered into ground under repair. Decided not to retrieve it when I started sinking on my second step in, so played the rest of 16, and the last two with the same ball.
The U3 at the end of the round looked cosmetically like it had played about 4 rounds. Seemed to discolor easily. No knocks off trees or cart paths. I was playing hickorys and the faces leave a little to be desired, but I was disappointed in the final appearance. Other than that the ball performed as expected in play. Bought at super discount price from Richards Big Box.

I've postponed my search for suitable modern balls as my stash of classic balls has increased substantially.
So much that I might have to start a classic ball thread just so I can brag....

FWIW I've been playing wound DT 90's a lot, neat off the tee and great with irons too , though I'm not fully comfortable with them around the green yet.

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

Titleist Professionals were great for persimmon and everything else about 15 years ago.

Just in the last few years, finally there are great persimmon and everything else golf balls.

The latest Precept Lady, Wilson Duos and Callaway Softs are the best even with modern clubs.

I find Callaway Softs the longest off the tee and pretty close to ProVs with the wedges and putter.

The Wilson Duo is pretty good for both the modern and classic clubs with no real issue for any shot.

ProV1. Comes with that wonderful Titleist putter click too. I wish it had a bit more spin on the driver to work the ball better. But there is enough to get the plentiful bulge and roll on my 1940 Byron Nelson Pace-Maker to slice heal shots and hook toe shots back to the fairway. Like Balata, urethane is very soft but is way tougher. It is hard to wear out a ProV1. And compression is 85. I buy three dozen ProV1s at the beginning of the year and they throw in a fourth dozen and free monogramming. ProV1 is the only ball I play, and I play persimmon every day. Ultimately, I agree with Froth that the old wound balata Titleists were a delight to play. You hit those rising drives, and green side control was the best ever. And the putter click and feel were so perfect. But a sleeve wouldn't make it through a round, even pured you'd see lines from grooves. ProV1, not X, comes closest and is durable, stays round, and is incredibly consistent sleeve to sleeve. While I never switch the ball I play, I rarely play the same 14 clubs. But those are almost certainly MacGregor woods and irons from the 50s. I hand forge putters and use ProV1s exclusively to test feel and click. Wrought iron and Urethane, what an unlikely but delightful pairing.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure about the new Zips - the old ones were a fantastic ball, but they were 3 piece, and sold for $25-30/doz. The new ones are 2-piece and $20 for a double dozen at Wal-Mart. Generally speaking, every cheap Wilson ball I've ever tried (including the Staff X-1) is not very good, with the exception of the 50 Elite (in white only, the yellow and orange ones had a harder cover).

Might be worth trying to let us know how they compare to the 50 Elite. That being said, the 50 Elite is a proven ball for vintage, and might be worth the extra $0.25/ball. Or just stock up on the Duo when it's on sale for 2/$30.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I'm still using the Elite 50 as my vintage ball. I have about 3 sleeves left from the original double dozen. These are working well so I don't see much reason to change, although I do like the Lady Pinnacles when I run across one.
As for the ZIP, I played them exclusively for about three years and never realized that the formulation changed towards the end. I felt that I didn't get near the control with the two piece version compared to the original three piece version.
The Duos are really good too, but as long as I can get the Elite 50's for less, I'll stick with them. FWIW, when I can still get the Elite 50's for $25 or so for a double dozen (in Canada) I feel they're worth the extra over a two piece ZIP at the price Scott quoted.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 3 weeks later...

Teed off in the dark yesterday, and only had one yellow ball. So, I bought a sleeve of Wilson Duo in yellow. About $8 for 3 - was expecting to pay more?

LOVED them. Felt like hitting bubble gum. Not sure, but I think it spun more than what I'm usually hitting - which might be because they're new instead of 'found'.

Found a doz new Titliest 90 Tour Balata balls at a garage sale the other day. Played a sleeve with the persimmons the next day. Butta. They sure felt nice coming off the club face. Plus very good stick and stop action when throwing them into the green. Nice soft feel off the putter as well.

Don't know how long before I carve them up, but got some to play and some to hoard for that special round.

Fun change of pace from the Duos and E6's usually played.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1435733510' post='11867522']
I actually shot a balata with NO cover in Sacrament last week. Must've been killed by a lawnmower.

When I touched it, it started to unravel. But just a bit of friction lying on the grass held it together. So I lined up and hit it with my 7 iron.

NICE!
[/quote]I can remember when we used to hit the cut ones with like a 7 iron. They would make a whining zing sound as the windings (rubber bands) broke in it and it would fall like a dying quail. It was also funny to hit one that was out of round that thing would change direction in the air several times and then literally fall out of the sky too. Oh those were the days!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

• 1 month later...

I played a round with a Callaway Chrome Soft the other day and really liked the ball. The urethane cover is very soft and showed a few gouges by round's end. It spins more green side and more off the driver than ProV1 but is not as durable. For working the ball off the tee, irons and green side this may be the best ball I've hit since the fresh balata days twenty years ago. A great golf ball, if on the expensive side.

[quote name='Coralray' timestamp='1438664942' post='12074250']
I played a round with a Callaway Chrome Soft the other day and really liked the ball. The urethane cover is very soft and showed a few gouges by round's end. It spins more green side and more off the driver than ProV1 but is not as durable. For working the ball off the tee, irons and green side this may be the best ball I've hit since the fresh balata days twenty years ago. A great golf ball, if on the expensive side.
[/quote]

"....[i]Well..... that's the way it WAS......" - Phil Mickelson[/i]

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to ordering some Maxfli U3 balls from Dick's. Last year's model is on clearance for $15/dozen. That's a great deal for a urethane covered ball.

Played my first round with them last night and loved them. Nice feel off the persimmons and good bite with the wedge. Definitely a great value.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1376975890' post='7710602']
The problem is that the shelf life on Liquid filled wound Balata balls isn't forever. The liquid filled balls liquid would seep into the windings and over time they would become "dull" - If you buy a N.O.S. sleeve of Tour Balata 100's and hit them, they might last 2-3 hits before they start to show some serious problems.
[/quote]

Those were the days. I remember my Dad taking a razor blade to an old balata. Peeled off the cover and touched the blade to the rubber windings and the thing exploded in front of our eyes. The cat didn't know what to make of it. I miss those balls, but I miss my Dad even more.

The main purpose was a core to wind the rubber windings around. They were made of different materials. Even metal. The windings were the magic combined with the dimple pattern. Once they moved forward in dimple designs you saw big gains in performance.
Would balls lost performance because of the degrading of the windings. About 18 month shelf life for best results.
In molded balls for persimmon I find a softer core ball reacts better off these clubs. The new Callaway Chrome Soft is excellent and your old clubs can still fuzz them so bring your clippers

• 2 weeks later...

Added - Callaway Chrome Soft. Absolute beauty to play.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

• 3 weeks later...