Old Corkscrew - Estero, Florida

GodSpeed

Heading to Old Corkscrew this weekend to get a round in before bachelor party festivities. From the few reviews I've read, it sounds like I should leave my driver at home and bring a 2 iron instead.

One review said "Very nice course. Peaceful, great condition, and great service. But if you don't have a handicap under 20, pick another course. Very tough." Another review said "Nice course, but there is no where safe to hit your ball. Not even fairways. They all seem to slope into hazards." I laughed.

Has anyone played here and can give me a heads up? Playing with a foursome, of which 2 are not under a 20 handicap. Should we leave them at the hotel?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played there last October from the tips and it is all you want. It was blowing 25-35 mph and I play to a 1 hcp and shot 86. :) Great track though.. Top 10 I have played. Not sure what your HCP is but play the appropriate tees or you will be in for a long day

[quote name='GodSpeed' timestamp='1375380967' post='7584722']
Heading to Old Corkscrew this weekend to get a round in before bachelor party festivities. From the few reviews I've read, it sounds like I should leave my driver at home and bring a 2 iron instead.

One review said "Very nice course. Peaceful, great condition, and great service. But if you don't have a handicap under 20, pick another course. Very tough." Another review said "Nice course, but there is no where safe to hit your ball. Not even fairways. They all seem to slope into hazards." I laughed.

Has anyone played here and can give me a heads up? Playing with a foursome, of which 2 are not under a 20 handicap. Should we leave them at the hotel?
[/quote]

I loved Old Corkscrew ... the setting was beautiful and course was hard, but fun, I thought.

I'm about a 15 HC and I shot 90-ish. From my point of view, short game (rather than off the tee) was the really challenging part of the course. The greens were very challenging, with multiple tiers and tightly mowed run-off areas around the green. I putted the ball off of a green and on another hole the guy I got paired with gave up after trying 3 run-up chip shots from about ~8 feet below the level of the green on the short side (none of which made it to the green).

WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS, stock stiff, 9*
3 wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max, stock stiff, 15*,
Hybrid: Callaway XR Pro stock pro stiff 18*
Irons: Callaway Apex (2014) 4-AW, KBS Tour-V 110 S
Wedges: Mizuno MP-T 56*; Callaway X Series Jaws 60*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

I played it about two months ago.......its about 5 minutes from my inlaws house. Nice course but I'm a high single digit handicap and it was all I could handle. Very difficult course.......imo, a little too much.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

I have played Old Corkscrew about 8 times and I have never shot below a 90. Even when I was playing in the single digits. I played one time with a buddy who was a scratch golfer and he shot an 84 and he said it felt like it was the best round of golf he has ever played. There are some easy driving holes and there are some absolutely brutal holes where I have hit what I thought were perfect drives only to realize I was screwed. Conditions and practice area are second to none in the naples/fort myers area as far as public courses go. Staff is courteous and very friendly. Bring your driver, I don't know anyone that who has ever left the course wishing they would have left the driver at home. You have to have a driver for many of the holes but you will no doubt use hybrid or long iron off some of the tees. Good luck and enjoy the round.

I hadn't played in a couple months and this was the first track I played with some buds for our weeklong golf trip this past May... we were warned by multiple people including a couple members on the practice tee and at least one staff member that we should have started somewhere else, but whatreyagonnado? We were already there. When we got out, I thought I hit the ball AWESOME (considering the layoff), hitting (not necessarily holding) lots of fairways/greens and putted so-so. Ended up shooting a 93. Course was immaculate and experience was first rate, but the greens were killer. Like a couple other people said, very complex, several tiers, and if you hit the green in the wrong spot you may hold it and wished you missed in a better spot or you might not hold it and be in jail with the runoff areas. I'd love to play it a second time around after learning a little bit more about the greens and surrounding areas... I think it'd be a different experience. Let us know how you like it! And DEFINITELY bring the driver. I think it was like 74 or 7500 from the blacks (or whatever was one up from the tips).

LTD 9.5*D Project X HZRDUS 6.5 75g
Cobra Bio Cell + 14.5* Fuji Speeder 757x
CobraBio Cell + 17.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 70x
Adams CMB 4-G KBS C-Taper X
Vokey TVD54*

SM? 58*K
Scotty Circa 62 #3 /Kingston GSS KP2
ProV1 / Snell MTB / Snell MTB Prime

I really want to play this course. already told the wife next time we go visit family in the area I'm going at least once.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

played this course a few months ago. it was tough but it was fun. im a 3 handicap i love a challenge even if it means i shoot in the 80s i would rather challenge myself then to play and easy course and shot even par

Nike Covert 2.0 Limited Edition Black 9.5 Fujikura Speeder 661S Flex
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5 Fujikura Speeder 757 X Flex
Mizuno MP 25 3-PW KBS C-Taper S Flex
Edel TRP 50* 55* 60* TrueTemper DG Spinner Wedge Flex
Edel custom fitted putter

Thanks guys for the insight. Looks like I'll have to pack a few extra beers and just try and enjoy the scenery lol. I'll take a few pictures and post back on my experience there.

I'm also heading to Sarasota/Bradenton area for Sunday. We're looking for a decent place to play there as well, in the $30-$40 range. If anyone can recommend a place, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again!

I would have to echo the thoughts. I played there and would not go back. To many contrived shots and BS greens. Difficult is an understatement. We played this in a scramble format and even in that mode it was a tough play. Not many I know ever want to go back due to slopes and angles you are hitting from. This is not one of the better Nicklaus designs. Travel a few miles in any direction for a better and more enjoyable day. Raptor Bay, Tiburon, Shadow Wood are all good choices.,

Callaway XR 9.5 degree
Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
Callaway Razr Tour Irons
50 degree Volkey
[url="Seemore%20Putter"]WITB Link[/url]
58 degree cleveland
52 degree Sixron

Well.... I shot a 92 from the white tees. From what I was told about this course and the slope, I figured I'd move up a set of tees. Wasn't a huge difference in total yardage.

I easily could have shot in the 80's. Through the first 7 holes, I was only 3 over - with 2 pars that were lip out birdies. I made the mistake of going back and seeing where I stood, then promplty hit a ball into some trees on 8 for a double, then into woods & a pond on 9 for a triple. A twosome that passed our group on 8 was telling us "you got the easy holes down. Hope you saved some good shots for the back because it gets rough from here.".

After 2 rain delays for like 30-45min. a piece, we started the back, and it went downhill from there. Ended up with a 44 on the front and a 48 on the back for a disappointing 92. Ended up taking us almost 8 hours to play, and in the Florida humidity and heat I was whipped by #12. I easily could have been mid 80's. But... that was from the whites. Maybe from the back tees it is a lot tougher... but I didn't think it was that hard. Challenging I would say. I actually didn't lose a ball till #8 which I was suprised about due to all the hazards. Maybe I was just hitting the ball in the right spots.

Greens were def. challenging, thats for sure. I don't get much spin, but I get some decent height on my shots. I could see if you had some spin where the ball could really get into trouble on the greens, but most of my shots just stick and stay put. They were rolling pretty quick, until it rained - then they slowed down a lot it seemed. I had 14 putts on the front, but then had 18 on the back.

Overall? The course was in great condition I thought. Service was A+ and then some. Great staff and everyone that worked there that we passed said hello, asked us how we were doing, or asked if we needed anything. Even a maintenance guy lol. There was one thing I was pretty disgusted with though - the price of their food and beer. 6 inch wraps were $10 a piece, and $4.50 for a Coors light (no multi-beer specials). Felt that was a overly priced, even for a nice course. But, I don't play many higher end courses, so maybe that is the norm. There were free cigars with the round, which I thought was nice.

I would go back in a heartbeat. Loved the challenge. Loved the scenery. Loved the facilities and staff. I would just bring my own beer and snacks the next time though ;)

Great course that I feel is more of a "once every few years" for me. High single handicap and was looking at 100 before i finished with two birdies to close. I felt like I robbed the place! It is a very tough test and will challenge every part of your game. I hit numerous shots I thought were perfect only to be in bunker, heather, and once in a blind pond. Had I played again I would have prevented some of these, but still you are looking at small undulating greens. Worth thr trip as it is in great condition and really is a great setting as there are no homes on the course.

Bring extra balls and your patience and you will be fine. For the high cappers in the group just stick to a stroke limit per hole to keep it moving.

[quote name='golfingron' timestamp='1375728631' post='7609576']
Great course that I feel is more of a "once every few years" for me. High single handicap and was looking at 100 before i finished with two birdies to close. I felt like I robbed the place! It is a very tough test and will challenge every part of your game. I hit numerous shots I thought were perfect only to be in bunker, heather, and once in a blind pond. Had I played again I would have prevented some of these, but still you are looking at small undulating greens. Worth thr trip as it is in great condition and really is a great setting as there are no homes on the course.

Bring extra balls and your patience and you will be fine. For the high cappers in the group just stick to a stroke limit per hole to keep it moving.
[/quote]

Was the blind pond on #9, dog leg right par 4 (pond hidden by some tall pines) ? I tryed cutting those only to find a pond on the other side, not my ball lol.

[quote name='Ballgofarboy' timestamp='1375688671' post='7606436']
I would have to echo the thoughts. I played there and would not go back. To many contrived shots and BS greens. Difficult is an understatement. We played this in a scramble format and even in that mode it was a tough play. Not many I know ever want to go back due to slopes and angles you are hitting from. This is not one of the better Nicklaus designs. Travel a few miles in any direction for a better and more enjoyable day. Raptor Bay, Tiburon, Shadow Wood are all good choices.,
[/quote]

Personally I thought that tiburon black was way tougher than old corkscrew! OP sounds like you enjoyed it, sounds like a good experience other than the weather!

Vokey TVD54*

SM? 58*K

[quote name='OneTime16' timestamp='1376450032' post='7672724']
[/quote]

Personally I thought that tiburon black was way tougher than old corkscrew! OP sounds like you enjoyed it, sounds like a good experience other than the weather!
[/quote]

It was a good challenge. If your someone who can keep the ball somewhat straight and your aim is somewhat decent? I think its a great challenge of your skills. My only recommendation is check the slope for each set of tees and play whats comfortable. Don't go by the yardage ;)

Old Corkscrew is definitely one of the toughest courses I've played, though my dad and I did tip it out when I was there last summer. At the time I was about a 7 and he's always around a 4. From the back it's just a really long course that will wear your hybrids/long irons out. I didn't think it was tricky or not-fair, but it is demanding. Regardless it was a beautiful track and the only course I've ever teed off on a putting green on (back tee on #1 is actually on the putting green) :).

• 2 weeks later...

You cannot be serious? Tiburon Black is 300-400 yards shorter with easier greens. Old Corkscrew is 2-3 shots harder anyday. I shot 73 at Tiburon black and 87 at Old Corkscrew. 20-25 mph winds at Old Corkscrew and 5-10 at Tiburon but still...

[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote name='shadowCLV' timestamp='1377614158' post='7752715']
You cannot be serious? Tiburon Black is 300-400 yards shorter with easier greens. Old Corkscrew is 2-3 shots harder anyday. I shot 73 at Tiburon black and 87 at Old Corkscrew. 20-25 mph winds at Old Corkscrew and 5-10 at Tiburon but still...

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Hey, different courses for different horses - I guess I shouldn't say that it was tougher, just that it played tougher for me. I scored worse at Tib Black. Didn't like a single tee shot on that course, I was working the ball a lot at that point and just didn't trust that I could keep it in between the trees on most of the chute type tee shots. I'd go to corkscrew over tiburon if I was choosing again. That was my experience, just goes to show everybody's is different. I should add that corkscrew was in better shape that tib black when I played, that's probably part of the reason.

Vokey TVD54*

SM? 58*K

• 4 weeks later...

I love Old Corkscrew, it does take a round or two to get used to it, though. I think it is great quality for the money. If any of you would like some Old Corkscrew apparel, we have their online golf shop here [url="http://www.planetproshop.com"] www.planetproshop.com[/url] Nike, Adidas shirts, hats, all sorts of apparel.

Largest Collection of Online Golf Shops
www.planetproshop.com

[quote name='cxx' timestamp='1380064364' post='7905815']
I think it is a bit difficult to know how to play the course looking at it from the tee box. A cheat sheet would be nice. It would take a few rounds to figure out how to play it. Some tricky greens and drives. Not sure that is a great combo for a resort course. Very nice conditions though.
[/quote]

I actually use an app called GolfShot GPS that has an ariel view of each hole and allows you to set points on the map to see how far it is to said spot. So, that helped us avoid a lot of potential hazards. This is probably why we didn't think it was THAT difficult.

• 1 year later...

Just played Old Corkscrew this morning and thought it was a great course. I'm a 3 handicap, played ok and shot 81 from the blue tees, made 2 birdies and 2 doubles. Definitely a tight driving course, I played it safe and hit several hybrids & 4-irons of the tees. That left me some longer approach shots, but my iron game was decent. I hit 2 tee shots into the woods and didn't putt well until the last few holes. The greens were smallish in my opinion and several had multi-tiers and lots of break, however they weren't rolling too quick. I would recommend playing this course if you get the chance. You need to bring your driver, but don't need to use for every hole.

Callaway Mavrik driver

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4-wood
Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-5 irons
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Mizuno T20 50*, 55* and 60* wedges
Bettinardi BB25 putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball