Rounds with a Vintage Bag

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1405088940' post='9680183']
edited to add: I hope I haven't cursed myself in the eyes of the golf gods, and hope they won't smite me with unseemliness in my round this afternoon

[/quote]

Haha, I think this is what happened to me yesterday. I was looking over my handicap and with 7 of my last 20 rounds being in the 70's I think I nearly pulled a muscle patting myself on the back.

Then last evening I met my neighbor at the course for a twilight round and started off bogey-bogey-triple, then bogied the next 7 holes! I didn't make a par until the 11th. We lost count of how many putts and chips went in the hole and came out or burned the edge. It was almost comical. [size=4]From there I shot 1 over but that included 3 missed birdie putts inside 6' so clearly I offended someone! It couldn't be my fault, right?[/size]

[size=4]Meanwhile, my neighbor sunk four (!) birdies and shot 75, drubbing me by 10 strokes. But, a good time was still had by all. I can't over-emphasize how much fun its been to discover that not only is my neighbor as golf addled as myself, but he's great company and (most nights!) we are very competitive score-wise. Too bad it took me a year and a half to discover it.[/size]

[size=4]A couple of tidbits from last night: on the 550 yard 14th he really crushed his drive, leaving himself about 250 out (the drive on this hole does play downhill). But I hit a pretty good drive myself and ended up just 10-12 yards behind him. Just one more data point demonstrating that a well struck persimmon drive need not be a significant disadvantage to titanium.[/size]

[size=4]Then, in keeping with the recent theme of this thread, I pulled out my 2 iron. With trees on the left, a fairway bunker on the right in the layup area, and water in front of the green I wanted to make sure I kept my second shot in play and gave myself a nice wedge approach. And I hit it well, maybe too well. By the time it stopped rolling (again a downhill shot) I was just 10 yards short of the water, maybe 30 yards from the flag. I figure this shot went somewhere around 225 yards, albeit a good bit of it roll. My neighbor was duly impressed, as he always is when I hit the deuce, lol. He's nearly 20 years younger and has never hit one.[/size]

[size=4]​He also [/size]reiterated his desire to acquire an old set of blades. He really likes the heavy weight of them. So maybe I can convert him?

[size=4]One other really, really, cool note: his wife's uncle is a touring pro on the senior tour. I'm not sure its appropriate to disclose his name but its instantly recognizable to anyone who followed the tour back in the late 80's/early 90's. Anyway, next year when he's coming to Atlanta for the senior tour he's supposedly agreed to come early to play a round with my neighbor at our home course. Guess who might get to tag along? I asked my neighbor what the pro would think of my old clubs and he said, "You gotta bring those. He's old school and would think that's really freaking cool." [/size]

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

I reached another milestone with the vintage clubs -- [i]sort of[/i]. I shot even par for 18 holes, only it was spread across two rounds lol. I played Sunday evening at the home course with the neighbor and shot 1 under on the back nine (after a 43 on the front), then went out with some old friends yesterday at an old persimmon track and shot 1 over for the front side (40 on the back). This was the same course where I shot 93 back in October in my second round of vintage golf so it was pretty satisfying.

What's interesting is if I put the two nines together and look at what it took to shoot an even par round. I hit 12 of 13 fairways (there's an extra par 3 on the old course), 15 of 18 greens, and took 34 putts.

But the greens in regulation is deceiving because I wasn't exactly knocking down pins. There were many greens where the pin was back and I ended up on the front (or vice versa) and was fortunate to two putt. I only stuck one close, when I hit a 9 iron to 4 feet -- and missed the putt! So I wasn't doing anything extraordinary with the irons, I just hit them solidly and fairly straight.

The longest drive I hit was about 280, but that was from an elevated tee to a downhill fairway so that's really deceiving. The next longest was around 250, but the majority of my drives were in the 230 +/- range. So I didn't really do anything extraordinary with the driver, I just hit it solidly and fairly straight. Also, I have a somewhat liberal scoring philosophy on the fairways hit. If I hit the ball solidly, in the general direction I aim, and it results in a decent lie and an unobstructed approach shot -- I'll count it as a fairway hit even if it has trickled into the rough. I'm less interested in the letter of the law in this case as I am in its intent.

34 putts is also not extraordinary, in fact its a little high. I made one from about 15 feet for birdie, and another from 20 to save par. But then I three-jacked one hole from 20 feet to negate one of those... The best thing I did was to make a good number of par saves from the four to eight foot range.

I made just one other birdie, on a short par 5 where I was on the fringe in two and putted it close on my eagle try. But I didn't have any chip-ins, no holed irons shots, no miracle sand shots.

So shooting par basically boiled down to two things: I didn't hit any [i]bad shots[/i], and I didn't do anything stupid. Which gives me some hope that it might actually be something I can do again, all in one round...well, except maybe for the stupid part.

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1405521759' post='9712223']
Congrads HC. Funny how those "old" clubs perform. Good job.
[/quote]

Yes it is. There is a stretch on yesterday's front 9 of three consecutive holes that are very narrow, with OB on the left and bunkers + water on the right. The locals call this 'Candyland.' I hit driver, 4 wood, and driver and split all three fairways. One of the guys, who had missed all 3, asked, "Can you even work the ball with those persimmons or do they always go dead straight?" Lol, if he only knew.

Great work HC. My goal of a round of par this year seems to get a bit further away each passing week. Only gotten 27 holes in over the last month - not quite a way to winch the score down.

I have to admit that I went a little off traditional right now - the FT-3 is in the bag, as is an old Slotline Inertial and a Burner Bubble 3W. With golfing as seldom as I have been, my clubface is all over the place, and I'm having difficulty grooving my swing. And I got a bit yippy with the bullseye, so out came the slotline.

"If I cannot have triumphs of my own, then let me revel in yours" - ScooterMcTavish

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Been home almost two weeks and thought for sure I would have something to post in this thread by now, but, have only been out twice. First time rained out after three holes, this afternoon, the horn sounded after one and the rangers chased everyone off. So four holes with the TM project a. It looks promising.

Well, I finally got 'round to picking up some Wilson Staff Duos and I am planning to try them this afternoon.

My companions will be Wilson Staff Tour Blades, JP pitching wedge, and a Wilson Geo Low Original 600 putter. The wood component is undecided at the moment, but I am leaning toward the PING Eye2 3 and 5 woods. A Joe Powell DSP J-1 driver and 3 wood are also in the car, as well as a Bert Dargie driver and Wilson Staff JP persimmon 3 wood.

I actually paid money for the Dargie driver from a friend back in the day; $125 if I remember and around 1986-88. I was using a Taylor Tour Burner at the time and sold it to another friend and went back to persimmon for a while. The JP 3 wood has also been with me while, since around 84-85. A guy a the little club where I played then ordered the driver and 3 wood, but for some reason didn't keep the 3. I bought it from the shop for $85-$100 I think. The guy was a good player and ordered the clubs about 1 degree closed as he like to hit a high draw. The first hole was a short par 4 about 327 with an elevated tee. There was a pretty good sized oak about 150 out, but down in a swale. He would start his drive over the top of the oak, and usually draw back perfectly leaving about a 40-50 yard pitch.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Well, I shot a mediocre 44 today. I took the Bert Dargie driver and the Wilson Staff JP three wood. I hit several decent ones with the 3 wood. The driver (actually the swinger) needs a bit of work.

I was pleased with the Wilson Staff Duo balls; my first effort with them. I will try them next time with the PING woods for a better comparison on distance, but they felt good off the irons and I like the feel off the putter.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Fifth hole at the local muni. Afternoon walk and carry with a minimalist bag. Driver, 4,6,8, pw,52,56,and putter.
The afternoon sun was beating down as my oldest son and I made the short walk from the elevated green on the little par 3 fourth. I took the old tartan bag off my shoulder and propped it by the bench under the shade of the live oak tree next to the senior teebox. I sat, for a second. Grabbed my already sweat soaked towel and wiped my face. "Hey Pop" my oldest son called. "Get off your butt. You're not teeing off from there...Yet."
With a sigh, I pressed my hands on the bench to steady myself and pushed up to my feet. "Getting older ain't fun" I thought as I slung the towel over my shoulder and grabbed my driver from the bag.
Fifty paces across the little bridge, the entrance guarded by geese. I stopped halfway across as the rise and fall of a mullet caught my eye, it's skin shimmering like molten silver in the setting sun.
The fifth, a diabolical hole, some possessed of a more genteel spirit may call it strategic, it's not, it's diabolical. The Prince of Darkness himself carved out this dogleg left, leaving the trees too damn close and too damn tall for any mortal man to play a cut, forcing a sweet tight draw, you know the kind, the ones you see the real golfers play, not the big sweeping hook of a Kenny Perry, but a Zack Johnson, or Bernard Langer draw. You know the one, a German draw. Good an' tight.
The teebox lines you up for failure, pointing you left of left. Were did Lucifer learn that one? From Alister McKinsey?
But I regress.
"Dad! Quit your daydreaming." "We're burning daylight."

End of chapter one...

Woohoooooooooooooo !!

Bagged Persimmon, Blades and a Bullseye for this weekend's 36 hole Club Championship and placed 1st out of 94 in the Net Division :)

Highlight was a 9 hole stretch in the middle of the first round of +1 (2 birdies, 6 pars and a triple .. with the triple including 3 shots to advance the ball 1 yard in the deep rough ... which was 12 paces to the left of the pin).

When I collected my prize, I asked "What do I win ? A metal wood ?" LOL.

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1406482020' post='9795443']
Woohoooooooooooooo !!

Bagged Persimmon, Blades and a Bullseye for this weekend's 36 hole Club Championship and placed 1st out of 94 in the Net Division :)

Highlight was a 9 hole stretch in the middle of the first round of +1 (2 birdies, 6 pars and a triple .. with the triple including 3 shots to advance the ball 1 yard in the deep rough ... which was 12 paces to the left of the pin).

[/quote]

Excellent! What do you have in the bag, exactly?

What were the reactions to you winning with vintage?

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1406484068' post='9795603']

[/quote]

Cheers HC.

Strange bag to be honest ... had Louisville Smart graphite-shafted driver and steel-shafted 5-wood, Wood Bros Texan 3-wood, Mizuno MP33 3-PW, Ben Hogan Apex 52 and 60 degree forged wedges, and the putter was an Acushnet Bullseye Heavy Blade. So sort of "modern" vintage bag I suppose, although the Texan was what I hit best all weekend. Hit 2 beauts on the SI3 #18 today to set up a woeful birdie attempt, which I left 8 feet short lol.

Most reactions are along the lines of "imagine what you might shoot if you had some proper golf clubs" etc etc.

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1406484436' post='9795637']

...Most reactions are along the lines of "imagine what you might shoot if you had some proper golf clubs" etc etc.

[/quote]

I get that, too. My answer is, "I imagine I'd shoot just like I used to -- all over the place."

Nobody is willing to concede that the old clubs might have something to do with the improvement. But the brain craves feedback, the more the better.

Hi. My name is BirlyShirly and I am a 13 handicap.

I've been stuck on or around 13 since I re-started logging scores as a member of a club after a 15 -20 year hiatus during which I played, but only casually.

Since then, I have had 2 goals. To get my index back into single figures, and then to maintain that using classic clubs.

Blades and persimmon were the currency when I learned the game - and a single digit handicap, or alternatively regular scoring in the 70s, seemed to be the yardstick by which fairly accomplished players were measured.

Playing with more modern clubs seems too much like, in the words of schoolteachers years ago, "only cheating yourself".

The other influence is the promise in Hogan's 5 Lessons - that anyone can learn to shoot in the 70s if they apply the simple fundamentals set out in his book. As someone who read 5 Lessons as an early teen, and re-read it countless times since - I have been haunted by that promise for years. And breaking 80 has proved extremely elusive. I have never broken 80 at my current club using either ancient or modern clubs.

This year, I have tried 2 things different. One is playing vintage woods much more often. The other is going to see a physio for a golf fitness screen and some remedial stretching exercises.

Today everything came together.

I last played a fortnight ago. I didn't break 80, but that was largely due to a trainwreck on a par 3 where I went into double digits. I think I played the rest of the round in something like 2 over, which is outstanding golf by my usual standards.

I got back from a fortnight's holiday yesterday and went out today, expecting to be fairly rusty, and shot a fastidiously legit 73. This was easily the best scoring round of my life, and 1-under for the front nine is probably the only time I have ever been under par in mid-round. Clubs were Hogan Apex persimmons, driver and 3, Mizuno TP9s and a brass bullseye style blade putter.

I'm not saying I can repeat this the next time out. That would be rash. But I don't think I was outrageously fortunate either. The closest I came to hitting a ball into serious trouble was when I drove just a few feet short of a band of thick rough that is normally well out of range from the tee.

I fervently hope that I can blame the physio and stretching. After hitting tons of range balls, taking lessons in person, and over the internet, and reading everything instructional I can lay my hands on (including psychological tracts advising me not to overthink things!), and ho-ing and fiddling with clubs, and even practicing my putting, I think 8 weeks of stretching is the best investment I have ever made in golf. It's made a good, full turn in both directions much easier, I think it's allowed me to take some of the hand and arm manipulations out of my swing and made my ballstriking more consistent, and it's given me back some clubhead speed that I never thought I'd see again. It's also made me think that I might finally be able to apply Hogan's 5 Lessons in a way that delivers what he promises. Doing so with clubs that would be recognisable to him, or for that matter the players I learned from growing up, would be the icing on the cake.

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1406482020' post='9795443']
Woohoooooooooooooo !!

[/quote]Congrats on your success. If I had won the metal wood my answer would have been what do I need this for?

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1406500342' post='9797085']
Congrats on your success. If I had won the metal wood my answer would have been what do I need this for?
[/quote]

Thanks Big Stu ! They took a photo of the Gross & Net Winners, and we did the sole plate shot, him with his Callaway driver and me with my Texan 3-wood. Trying to do my bit as a persimmon evangelist :)

[quote name='birly-shirly' timestamp='1406496433' post='9796675']
Hi. My name is BirlyShirly and I am a 13 handicap.

I've been stuck on or around 13 since I re-started logging scores as a member of a club after a 15 -20 year hiatus during which I played, but only casually.

Since then, I have had 2 goals. To get my index back into single figures, and then to maintain that using classic clubs.

[/quote]

Lots of super stuff in that post BS. Forgive me for not quoting all of it in reply as I didn't want to fill up the thread un-necessarily !

Great round of 73 - that's excellent golf. I've had Hogan's 5-Lessons for over 30 years and have never really read it properly. I shall now do so, and I shall also get myself back to the pilates and yoga classes that i started doing but inexplicably stopped despite all the obvious benefits I was getting :)

Thanks indeed for the inspiration !

Way to go, Birly! You broke 80 in a style, didn't you? You almost skipped right over that milestone and went straight to the next one -- shooting par. Its really cool that you did it with persimmon. I know you've struggled a bit with those so it must be pretty satisfying. I predict you will be shooting in the 70's with regularity now.

Congratulations, B-S!

(scooter weeping quietly in a corner in joy for others)

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1406484436' post='9795637']

[/quote]

Cheers HC.

Strange bag to be honest ... had Louisville Smart graphite-shafted driver and steel-shafted 5-wood, Wood Bros Texan 3-wood, Mizuno MP33 3-PW, Ben Hogan Apex 52 and 60 degree forged wedges, and the putter was an Acushnet Bullseye Heavy Blade. So sort of "modern" vintage bag I suppose, although the Texan was what I hit best all weekend. Hit 2 beauts on the SI3 #18 today to set up a woeful birdie attempt, which I left 8 feet short lol.

Most reactions are along the lines of "imagine what you might shoot if you had some proper golf clubs" etc etc.
[/quote][quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1406484436' post='9795637']

[/quote]

Cheers HC.

[/quote]

Well done Geoff, that is fantastic!

Nothing like beating them, I guess we have to say, "not at their own game".

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1406571802' post='9802663']
Way to go, Birly! You broke 80 in a style, didn't you? You almost skipped right over that milestone and went straight to the next one -- shooting par. Its really cool that you did it with persimmon. I know you've struggled a bit with those so it must be pretty satisfying. I predict you will be shooting in the 70's with regularity now.

Congratulations, B-S!
[/quote]

+1 Birly. Well done! You never know, old man par might be right around the corner.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

Isn't it just great that we now have multiple examples, both in this thread and I'm also thinking of Bajadulce and Aussie_Steeler in the hickory thread, of vintage/classic golfers being really competitive against the frying pans and car bumpers of today, and particularly all you chaps who are banging on the door of old man par, and busting through it as well.

Top stuff :)

BJ,
I have been giving some thought to the mental side of playing the vintage equipment, and as I can only speak for myself in the regard, I feel that my whole thought process is different during a round playing vintage with respect to modern gear.
I focus more, from the moment I pull the wood out on the first tee the process is different. Better visualization of what I want the ball to do.
I have more joy, which leads to relaxation, a clear and uncluttered mind. Swing thoughts minimal, what's my target.
I breathe In a better rhythm, more spiritual.
I see the field better, tee to green, almost like a God's eye view. This extends to putting as well.
All of these things connecting me closer to the elusive "zone."

Just some thoughts the last few posts have conjured up inside this eclectic mind.

I'm heading out today to play at a local private club that's shortish and tight, beautiful Stanley Thompson design. The bag set up is as follows: Callaway FT-9 driver(still can't find a persimmon driver that agrees with me), Power Bilt Citation 3-wood, Jazz 7 wood, Wilson Turf Rider Sole irons 2-8+PW with Wilson Custom Grind 56+60 wedges. The trusty Bullseye will be my putting partner, I've had a very good year on the greens thanks to it! No one really notices anything but the persimmon 3 wood and the Bullseye, but for me the irons are money, shorter and heavier than anything else I have. I get a confident feeling standing over the ball with these in hand.
Slowly but surely I'm getting to the all vintage bag, the driver is a constant search, and can't find anything in persimmon that would replace my 7 wood. Will definitely hit the 2 iron off at least one tee, love the feeling when I connect with that, it's like nothing happened but the ball streaks away on a nice medium trajectory and comes to rest a good 200 yards away ,love it! Even though the forecast is not great, I can hardly wait to get out there.