Rounds with a Vintage Bag

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1410951586' post='10130989']
[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1410916314' post='10129157']
Finally got caught up with work so I snuck out for what might be my last round before the baby comes.
[/quote]

Congratulations on the upcoming birth of your child! Young ones are a wonderful thing. Especially when they are grandchildren that can be enjoyed and then sent home to mom and dad (my case). Does this mean an end (or curtailment) to your vintage club "hoing" ways? Just wonder'in.....

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1410916314' post='10129157']
My best ball score (or as I like to call it -- the Real Me) was an even par 72 with 13/14 fairways and 17 greens hit. The other guy was a stupid a***ole who shot 86. He only hit 7 fairways and 6 greens. I'd rather not play with him again.

The firing pin insert on the MacGregors is about the size of a dime but, man, they feel great when you hit it. Love 'em.
[/quote]

Nice round there HC (the Real Me guy...reminds me of a "vintage" Who song)! I'd be happy as hell with your "other guy" score. Never been that great of a playa to being with.....now making things more difficult with all this classic clubs nonsense. Least I look good playing poorly now.

Just when I think that I've got some small degree of understanding about vintage Mac woods, now comes "firing pin insert". Waz zat?
[/quote]

Old persimmon Macs (later '50s and early '60s) had either a fiber or aluminum "firing pin" in the center of the face. As HC said, the center pin was "dime sized". Some models also had smaller pins on either side of center that replaced what would've been face screws. I'm sure this was another design innovation courtesy of Toney Penna.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Thx HAB. So this is a firing pin face:

[attachment=2422673:image.jpg]

Sometimes white/ivory? If it has dots on the insert in some fashion, it's a firing pin? Wondered why some of the old Macs had the dot/dots on the insert. Learning all the time.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1410951586' post='10130989']
Congratulations on the upcoming birth of your child! Young ones are a wonderful thing. Especially when they are grandchildren that can be enjoyed and then sent home to mom and dad (my case). Does this mean an end (or curtailment) to your vintage club "hoing" ways? Just wonder'in.....

Nice round there HC (the Real Me guy...reminds me of a "vintage" Who song)! I'd be happy as hell with your "other guy" score. Never been that great of a playa to being with.....now making things more difficult with all this classic clubs nonsense. Least I look good playing poorly now.

Just when I think that I've got some small degree of understanding about vintage Mac woods, now comes "firing pin insert". Waz zat?
[/quote]

Here's the Macs:

[attachment=2422667:Mac eye o matic firing pin insert.JPG]

As for the baby, I won't be able to send this one away for at least 18 years or so. But maybe this one will play golf! I've had one child of my own and 4 stepkids, and none of them golf. Hopefully, the sixth time is the charm!

As for club ho-ing, yes, the writing is on the wall...the line has been drawn in the sand...wait, who's been writing on the walls and tracking sand into the house? D&%! kids! Somebody better clean that up!

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Yes, congratulations HC. Kids are great, even if they are not infected with the golfing bug. The youngest likes to go, but I think this is as she likes to drive the cart.

If you need help with the ho'ing, maybe we can stage an intervention. The first step is to recognise you have a problem and admit it. As I've chased my swing all over this year, and can just not get in the groove, this was my "a-ha" moment.....it I spent the time I spend searching for clubs on the Internet, sorting through thrifts looking for clubs, and regripping old clubs on practice, I likely wouldn't be chasing a swing.

Sure, there is fun in the hunt, and sure, it's fun to look at an ever-increasing horde of bags in the shed, but when you can't golf all that well with any of 'em, the fun starts to disappear......at least that's what I'm finding this year. So polyclubamy isn't working out all that well, and it's time to settle down.

At least until I spot another set sitting at the Goodwill. Dammit......

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1410960738' post='10131717']

Sometimes white/ivory? If it has dots on the insert in some fashion, it's a firing pin? Wondered why some of the old Macs had the dot/dots on the insert. Learning all the time.
[/quote]

You got it!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1410959362' post='10131545']
WTG Holden!

And it's been a delight to read some of the posts here lately, particularly teevons blinding woods, MoaningM's photos and round stories and osr and his having fun.

I had enough of the shabby condition of my swing, so I decided to spend some time, gasp... practicing! Yes, hitting balls! I've hit about 2,000 balls in the last 4 days. My back's a little sore, but I did get some golf muscles back.

I did hit a lot of persimmon and a MacGregor 3-wood (with aluminum insert) I acquired from Mr Holden. Forgive me for this, but I modified a Titanium head Yamaha (it's old and only 400cc, so I hope that tempers the overall distastefulness of it) and was hitting rockets again, which I haven't done in years.

I cut it down to 44" and added a heavy bolt wrapped in layers of lead tape to the butt, sealed with a cap of lead tape for good measure, then gripped it and added so much tape to the head that it started to look like a tinfoil hat. After all that, the darn thing weighed 440 grams and only had a swing weight of C3.

Hit a few hundred balls with something like that and you'll work up a sweat.

I ended up adding a few wraps of lead tape to my irons just below the grip the next day. I felt like Popeye, my arms were so pumped up from hitting that Titanium-on-rebar monster. Arrrrgghh!
[/quote]

I'm glad to hear your back is holding up through that! Good news, indeed.

I've become a range rat over the last 15 months as I simultaneously rebuilt my swing and discovered vintage clubs. I estimate that I've hit about 200 balls per session at least 3 times a week for[size=4] the last 75 weeks or so. That works out to around 45,000 balls. Most places that would be $10 for every 100 balls, or about $4,500. Good thing my membership includes unlimited range balls for $18/month![/size]

I've managed to shave 5 strokes off my average in that time, but I have another 8 to go to get to scratch. Hmm, lets see, that means another 72,000 balls? Sheesh, how much does elbow replacement surgery cost?

HC, congrats on the birth of your child.

Those Macs are beautiful.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Scooter, polyclubamy is a serious disease, not a crime, and it is no laughing matter! (Tongue firmly in cheek)

[quote name='HoganApexBlades' timestamp='1410971772' post='10132909']
Kevin, congrats on the upcoming birth of your child! Hopefully, he or she will want to go play golf with Daddy.
[/quote]

There, fixed that for ya HAB.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1410978422' post='10133645']
Kevin, congrats on the upcoming birth of your child! Hopefully, he or she will want to go play golf with Daddy.
[/quote]

There, fixed that for ya HAB.
[/quote]

Thanks Scott, I'm sure Kevin will get a chuckle out of your humor!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

"If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we'd all have a happy Christmas."

Also, "circuitous interruptus".

My Thursday evening 9 was t'stormed out after 5 holes, and it may be a good thing. I was 6 over after five holes. But for literally an inch and a half, I could have been 1 under after 3, and if I had just bogied my new nemesis, 1 over after 5. On the first three holes, I had putts that stopped 3/4 inch, 3/4 mm, and a lip out. Then came my new nemesis. The fourth hole is listed as the number 2 handicap hole, but looks so benign. It plays about 360, a slight dogleg left. There is water down the right that comes up to the green, and a bunker on the left that pinches in the approach. I usually hit a 3 wood off the tee for a nice little draw that leaves me around 130-140. This time I did not catch it flush, and had about 170, but still in the middle of the fairway. I will spare you the details, but I left with a 7 and did not go in the water. The last three times I have played this hole, I have been in the fairway, from 130, 140, and about 170, and all three times I have left with worse than bogey! As Bobby Jones said, the most difficult course in golf is the 5 inch one between your ears!

I still enjoyed myself, hitting several nice shots with the Joe Powells and Wilson Staffs. I am not upset over my putting either, as I am getting closer, and actually rolling it pretty good. They have just aerated, sanded and re-sanded ove the last couple of weeks, so I will blame it on that--hey, it can't be me! :)

I made it out yesterday afternoon with the Hogan Precisions, which I'm really really getting along well with, and the MacGregor aluminum insert woods.

I hit the ball great, including 14 greens in reg and 9 fairways, though all 5 that I missed were very playable. I also had my second eagle of the year -- and week -- on the short par 5 10th hole. From there I went on to hit 7 more greens out of 8 on the back side -- and still made 4 bogies! Because... [size=4]the yips have returned, unfortunately. Yesterday was the 3rd or 4th round in a row where I missed two putts from less than 3', and I really didn't come close on either, jerking both of them left.[/size]

[size=4]Ended up shooting a 78 with 38 putts. I putted just fine outside of 8 feet, holing a 15' birdie and a couple of nice par saves. But from 2' - 8' I'm a basket case. Ugh.[/size]

[size=4]Always something with this game.[/size]

Hey HC,

Sorry to hear about the yips. When putting gets in my head, I normally change putters radically. So if I'm hitting an offset blade, I grab a mallet. If I'm using a mallet, I grab a Bullseye. And in any case, the old trusty Dunlop looks so unlike anything else I've ever used, it is my yip-killer.

So for tomorrow's round, I have the r460 in the bag with my Hogan Persimmon 3 and 5W, 3-PW FG-17, Tommy Armor MacGregor 11i, Wilson Harmonized DW, and TM-8. Playing a Les Furber course with lots of tricky elevation changes (on a ravine). Not a long course (6,200 from the blues, recommended for 6-18 hdcp - they use non-typical colors) with a slope of 128. If we play the whites, the course plays even shorter at 5,650 yds, but the undulating greens still have the slope over 120.

For the bomb and gouge crowd, not as fun a course. For a finesse golfer, plenty of fun.

Regardless, I'll report back after the round.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Another with scooter, used an img the other day and had a shocker on the greens, today i had 27 putts with an old ping anser, no sightline totally bare, ive used sightlines and 2 ball aids for what seems like eternity, so nice to get back to the basics of bareness! You cant beat naked....! :)

Am off to play a differing course tomorrow ill putt like a plum....guarantee.

Kevin, congrats on the upcoming birth of your child! Hopefully, he or she will play golf like Daddy.
[/quote]

Kevin, congrats on the upcoming birth of your child! Hopefully, he or she will play golf like Daddy.
[/quote]
My daughter, as you can see in the photo, is starting to play (I've even got her to take the roller skates off). She played three holes Sunday twilight. I played 10 holes hickory and she played 3 starting from the 150 marker. Her last ball was a grip and rip bullet from 40 yards iron shot into a green side bunker. She had a smile from ear to ear. Great stuff!

P.S. - during my round I short sided myself on a par three, decided against the niblick, went with the putter. To get it through the frog hair I struck it much too firmly. The sphere hit the flagstick dead center at a great rate of speed, and fell into the cup for a deuce. Kira says, "wow Daddy you're really good". I nodded solemnly "it seems so". My regular group would have needled me mercilessly. Thank god for ten year olds.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1410960738' post='10131717']

[/quote]

Firing pins and metal faces were a result of plastic balls. The fibre inserts and some cycolacs were eaten up ,(knicked) by the solid balls used on ranges. During that period many players hit few practice balls with their wood clubs

CHARLEY PENNA

Here's an old MacGregor Golf Digest ad for those woods. It dates from 1961.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='xgolfx' timestamp='1411565619' post='10174469']

Firing pins and metal faces were a result of plastic balls. The fibre inserts and some cycolacs were eaten up ,(knicked) by the solid balls used on ranges. During that period many players hit few practice balls with their wood clubs

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

Great bit of info Charley. Though did the aluminum not dent or deform itself?

I saw they once used to use an irradiated piece of glass for an insert. Wonder how well those held up? Apparently the irradiation made the inserts incredibly hard.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1411421091' post='10164875']

So for tomorrow's round, I have the r460 in the bag with my Hogan Persimmon 3 and 5W, 3-PW FG-17, Tommy Armor MacGregor 11i, Wilson Harmonized DW, and TM-8. Playing a Les Furber course with lots of tricky elevation changes (on a ravine). Not a long course (6,200 from the blues, recommended for 6-18 hdcp - they use non-typical colors) with a slope of 128. If we play the whites, the course plays even shorter at 5,650 yds, but the undulating greens still have the slope over 120.

For the bomb and gouge crowd, not as fun a course. For a finesse golfer, plenty of fun.

[/quote]

I suck at golf. We played the blues, which I did not find excessively long at 6,200. But with some tricky elevation changes, a rushed first three holes where I got a case of the shanks (yes, the $#&^%$ shanks), and an inability to read the optically deceptive greens, I had one of my poorest rounds ever. I think I had two pars the entire round.

However, my kind partner saw my distress, and we put away the pencil and card, and enjoyed the beautiful weather, the fun of some tricky shots, and excellent conversation.

FG-17s heading to the 'bay next week unfortunately. When they go, I'll be down to the Eye2s, TM-92s, Maxfli Flatbacks, and W&Ds (latter two will be left at the cottage). Wife will be happy, and I may still force myself to get rid of the Eye2s. They sit in the garage, a GI temptation that may need to be banished.

Especially as I hit 6 of 9 GIR the first time I brought them out this season (and 3-jacked three of the holes, alas.......).

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1411570312' post='10174901']
[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1411421091' post='10164875']

[/quote]

I suck at golf. We played the blues, which I did not find excessively long at 6,200. But with some tricky elevation changes, a rushed first three holes where I got a case of the shanks (yes, the $#&^%$ shanks), and an inability to read the optically deceptive greens, I had one of my poorest rounds ever. I think I had two pars the entire round.

However, my kind partner saw my distress, and we put away the pencil and card, and enjoyed the beautiful weather, the fun of some tricky shots, and excellent conversation.

FG-17s heading to the 'bay next week unfortunately. When they go, I'll be down to the Eye2s, TM-92s, Maxfli Flatbacks, and W&Ds (latter two will be left at the cottage). Wife will be happy, and I may still force myself to get rid of the Eye2s. They sit in the garage, a GI temptation that may need to be banished.

Especially as I hit 6 of 9 GIR the first time I brought them out this season (and 3-jacked three of the holes, alas.......).
[/quote]

Tough day, but you made the best of it. From the sounds of it, you'll end up with just one set of irons at home when it's all said and done.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1411570312' post='10174901']

[/quote]

I feel your pain. I played much the same last night. Started with a par 5 where I hit a solid drive and a wonderful 4 wood to within 30 yards of the green. But my pitch shot fell short into an unraked bunker, took two to get out, then three putted from 4 feet. LOL. Six shots to get down from 30 yards for a nice round 8. Only parred 3 holes on the front, no birdies.

Likewise, my neighbor was also playing poorly as he took a snowman on the next par 5. At that point, we tossed score out the window and just played match.

But it was a beautiful evening to be out; with a temperature in the 70's, clear skies, and open fairways we played til dark. On the last hole I had 190 to the pin, most of it over water, and made solid contact with a 2 iron. In the gloaming I couldn't follow the ball's flight but I never heard or saw a splash. When I got to the green I found my ball just over the back left edge, pitched it on and then sunk a 10 footer for par on the [size=4]#1 handicap hole.[/size]

[size=4]So all's well that ends well, right?[/size]

[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1411572514' post='10175141']

Tough day, but you made the best of it. From the sounds of it, you'll end up with just one set of irons at home when it's all said and done.
[/quote]

May be where we're going with this Woodridge.

I need to simplify my life. As B-S once suggested, switching clubs weekly may not be helping my game - I'd have to agree with him.

Time for me to quit dating and settle down with the right set.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1411577881' post='10175751']
[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1411572514' post='10175141']
[/quote]

May be where we're going with this Woodridge.

I need to simplify my life. As B-S once suggested, switching clubs weekly may not be helping my game - I'd have to agree with him.

[b]Time for me to quit dating and settle down with the right set[/b].
[/quote]

Are you [i]sure[/i] you don't wanna play the field? Lots of fun and excitement out there -- there's a grand old dame winking at you in every barrell!

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1411583444' post='10176343']
Are you [i]sure[/i] you don't wanna play the field? Lots of fun and excitement out there -- there's a grand old dame winking at you in every barrell!
[/quote]

HC, I remember when you first started posting in this forum, and how you bragged about how understanding your wife was of your new vintage club pursuits.

More recently, you've referred to her as giving you the "stinkeye" and "thinking you're crazy" no to mention she shut down your road trip to go see Uncle Bob last year.

Holden, I say this to you as a friend. It is time for you to settle down too.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[size=4]"[i]'Cause there's still a lot of drinks that I ain't drunk[/i][/size]
[i]And lots of pretty thoughts that I ain't thunk[/i]
[i]And lord there's still so many lonely girls [/i]
[i]In this best of all possible worlds.[/i]"

This is how I feel about vintage golf clubs.

Until your wife takes your latest 1i to you.

Man, I bet those things can leave a mark. And you can critique her swing the entire time!

"Honey, you're hooding the club. Keep the face open until just before you impact me, then rotate your wrists. You'll get a much more solid strike. Oh, and make sure you follow through!"

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1411587578' post='10176735']
Until your wife takes your latest 1i to you.

Man, I bet those things can leave a mark. And you can critique her swing the entire time!

"Honey, you're hooding the club. Keep the face open until just before you impact me, then rotate your wrists. You'll get a much more solid strike. Oh, and make sure you follow through!"
[/quote]

Every love story has to have some conflict, otherwise all parties lose interest. That's my job, to keep things interesting.