2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Played 18 holes this Thursday. I think it was my first 'real' 18 in 4-5 years (played a greensome eclectic with my mom a month ago and 9 holes last year).

Played the set i played in my teens (90-95) Daiwa, TM tour spoon, ping putter and took two drivers: a recently acquired Mac RT with aluminum firing pin and an early Wood Brothers texan. Both to test as i had never tried them before.

Teed off early: 06:50AM, just me and the groundsmen out on the course. Played Domburg, the only real links course in the Netherlands. 9 holes 5900 yards, 2 par 5's, 3 par 3's and 4 par 4's. Played alone, so played two balls most of the time.

Started with 4 pars, 4 bogeys and a no score (lost ball left of the green after 2nd shot, made par with my second ball from more or less the same spot where my first ball landed) on the front nine. Then a birdie on 10, followed by a couple of pars (short birdie putt missed), and bogey on 15 to get back to level for the back nine. Wanted to make another birdie to finish the 2nd nine below par. Putt for birdie on 16 just kissed the hole but was way to fast. So only two more holes remaining. #17 is a 180 yard par 3. Wanted to hit a 5 iron at first (hit a 5 iron 4 or 5 feet from the hole on one of the other par 3's earlier, but realised that -though just as long- it was from an elevated tee). So took my 4 iron. Aimed for the flag and took a swing. Hit it slightly left, but that should be ok as there is a dune left of the green so anything left of the flag would come back: and it did. Saw it rolling straight to the hole and then it disappeared... Figured it was either in the hole or maybe i couldn't see it well enough from the tee because of the shape of the green. So when i got to the green still no ball. So walked straight to the hole and there it was: my first ever hole in one. Ended with a par on 18 for a 33 (-2) on the back nine, so was pretty happy.

Also because i fell in love with the wb driver i took with me. Never tried it (bought it some 5 years ago), mainly because it only has 8* of loft. Figured that that could come in handy on a links course so took it. But was extremely pleasently surprised as i can not remember ever having had so much confidence with a driver. That thing and me we just clicked. It was just aim and shoot and the ball went where i wanted it to go. Of course being a short course i didn't need to hit it everywhere (hit a couple of 3 woods and 2 irons off the tee as well), but i still managed to hit it a hand full of times and don't think it is going to leave my bag anytime soon.

View from the first tee.

Tim,

I have pretty much given up on going out by myself, except in rare occasions. I just don't have the concentration I have if someone else is playing with me. I find my time better spent on the range.

Thanks for posting and good job with the Texan. Hopefully it won't be another 4 or 5 years before you tee it up again.

I mentioned on the UK Classic Club topic that I was playing St annes Old Links today. Open qual. track, loads of bells and whistles, great true links course.

Well, playing 1958 John Letters Fred Daly Master Models and a Mac Jimmy Demaret driver, I eagled 17th, drive, 2 iron, 2ft putt 520 yds, and birdied 18th Drive 5iron 2 stabs 484 yds.

It was downwind, but still 1000yds and 7 whacks is never shabby.

The 9th.....I love that par 3! So perfect it's untrue......use to live in Blackpool so I've played st Anne's old links a number of times. It's one of my favourite courses, it's certainly the best for me in that area

Finally got the 73-75 Wilson Staff irons out for their first round of this year. Went with a Classic Ping Staff Bag, vintage metal Titleist PT 10.5* Midsize Driver, TaylorMade Midsize 3 Wood (both with stock R flex graphite shafts,) and a Ginty 5 metal wood. Played my Otey Crisman Klik3 Brass Putter which I hadn't used since adding quite a bit of lead tape to it. It was the first time ever playing that particular driver and 3 wood and I was very pleased to have hit both consistently well. I had no expectations as I hadn't gamed the staffs in over 6 months but again was very pleased as I seemed to be striking on or near the sweet spot consistently. I also only hit about 3 shots fat with them which I can have a problem with down here. The newly weighted OC Klik3 also performed well allowing me to drop one 20 footer and leave having no more than 2 putted. Played a par and boogie round which I was quite happy with. It was a warm but not overly hot day here with a good breeze and a nice playing partner in my friend Dot. Life, is good. ;)

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Played on Wednesday night after work. I'm playing a club competition at the weekend, so I took out the clubs that I've grown most confident in and am likely to play at the weekend. Would rather have taken out the persimmon woods, but needs must when the handicap's at stake. So, modern driver (R1) and a Titleist 3W (906), then redlines 2 down through to a Mizuno TP Original SW and TM02 putter.

This season, I've taken the pledge to go through a couple of putting drills FIRST, and then go play or hit balls with whatever time is left. So I was done on the putting green by about 7.20 and reckoned that with the thick end of a couple hours of daylight left, I could get in somewhere between 9 and 14 holes which link up conveniently.

Then, on my way down the first fairway, I took it into my head that the course looked dead quiet, and that if I stepped on it I might be able to get right round. I think I'm generally quite a leisurely player, but was curious to see what would happen if I took a bit less time over shots. It was also blowing a hoolie, so no sense in getting over protective about score.

Now, I got lucky and drove the ball pretty straight all night, only having to spend time searching for 1 ball. But by 9.25pm, admittedly in pretty poor light, I was putting out on the 18th for a 79 which I would take on any day of the week.

Think I'm in danger of becoming attached to those Hogans. I like to switch out irons and woods from week to week when I'm just playing for fun, and had actually boxed up the redlines whilst I played with some new toys. However, for somewhat serious rounds my first instinct seems now to bring them out. TM02 stays in the bag regardless.

Great job bs!!!

As to putting a modern tee club in play when somethings on the line I have slipped the Mini in the bag for the Seniors money events I play. It has "paid off" as they say, pun intended.

The rest of the bag, including the bag, is whichever catches my fancy when I wake.

I always play better at a brisk pace which causes me to get a bit loose when I get slow played. Mostly not due to gamesmanship, but some of these seniors are slow.

Again, well done.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to play better when nobody is around except some foxes. Even better in the dark.

Played a tournament a couple weeks ago, not so good. Carts, talking, players behind my slow group and feeling pressure to speed up all added to the distractions. I did some pretty satisfying stuff, though.

Two more games since then, both alone and in late afternoon / evening.

I'm getting my drive back, which is a relief. Was really tired of 160 yards. I guess I'd lost confidence and was trying to control the swing too much.

New putter, too. An old H&B in very good shape. Must be stainless, and it has a coated shaft. Perfect leather grip. Way too light, though. Surprising since the head is giant. I holed a couple of amazing putts, then the novelty wore off so I finished the round with my Original 600.

Best part have been the iron shots. Some of the better contact and control. A little puzzled about shooting straight and left, but otherwise mostly very happy with what I've been doing with the Wilsons.

All-in-all my motivation is back and I am conniving ways to squeeze in rounds with some of the brief travel I have to make. Think I could break 100 again.

By the way - during the tournament a few weeks back I chucked some dirt with my 4-iron, and one in my threesome said 'its' too hard you should try an easier iron'. So I used the three iron.

I like your attitude Steve! Yesterday my playing partner duffed his tee ball on the first hole so he is left sitting in the rough with a bit over 200 yards to the green. Weapon of choice? Three iron as driver is the only wood he carries. Swoosh, click and off the ball flies majestically to pitch and a putt distance. I said: there's nothing like a well struck three iron; to which he replied: there's nothing like a well struck driver! My response: yabbut, the three iron is harder to hit well! :)

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Went full on vintage Ping today except, like any self-respecting contrarian would, for the putter.

TM02 remains very much the weapon of choice. I put a new shaft on it to bring it down to the same length as a TM06 (my post-modern 8802) as I couldn't bring myself to cut the original in case the experiment did not work out. But it has paid off in spades. Only slight glitch, and a cautionary tale for anyone who similarly likes to bodge-it-yourself, was that I felt I was missing putts to the right and had great difficulty lining up square or left. In a fit of desperation, I checked the alignment of the grip I'd installed with the new shaft and whilst it looked reasonably square, put in a vice and checked with a spirit level, was ever so slightly weak. So that got re-set, square to slightly closed and all is good on the greens. Moral of the story - never be too humble to blame your tools!

Rest of bag was Eye 2+ irons, 5 - 9, Eye 2 wedges, and a mix of Zing and Eye 2 laminates 1, 3, 5, 6 and 7. I thought this was an interesting compromise of more forgiving irons than I usually play, offset by old school lofted woods covering the distances that I've been hitting with modern hybrids recently. I hit them decently, and with one lost ball was pleased to get round the 9 that I had time for in 39.

First impressions are that, on balance, this is actually a more demanding set up than what I've played recently with hybrids and blades. I definitely find the hybrids easier to hit than the lofted fairways, and from a 5 iron down I don't think the Pings provide that much of an advantage compared to musclebacks. Scope there to really play whatever the hell you like from close range, and still protect your score with idiot proof long iron replacements (provided you swap out the hooktastic shafts that seem to come as stock for that towering, must-buy, driving range only, ballflight).

I do like the wedges. Both are mismatched, and 1* and 2* respectively upright when the rest of my irons are 1* flat. Compared to i3s, though not old school forgings, the Eye 2s are not too hard to bend.

Quite keen to play these again.

By the way - during the tournament a few weeks back I chucked some dirt with my 4-iron, and one in my threesome said 'its' too hard you should try an easier iron'. So I used the three iron.

I like your attitude Steve!

There were oak trees alll along the left side of the narrowing approach to the green. Since I hit draws I thought my 4 iron would be nice and short and maybe roll up. But I hacked it 40 yards or so.

To me the obvious choice was the 3 iron - harder landing than a 2-iron, plenty of roll. Give it a nice easy 3/4 swing and make a 120 yard or so 'chip' shot and roll it up.

I didn't say anything, but I'm sure he thought my iron looked pretty long. ha ha.

I'm assuming these count :)

These were my grandmother's. My grandfather gave them to us for my wife when my grandmother died in 1990. I'm guessing they're from the mid 80's, Puma's with a Browning bag.

I've been working hard on my game with my clubs and decided to take these out for a spin this evening. My hard work carried through, and I shot one of my better rounds to date.

And yes, I did slice one of my drives. Why do you ask? :)

A small update following my round this morning. We went to a pitch and putt par 28 about 1100 yards I believe. I brought my Precision BeCu irons along with my Tom Watson SW and Zebra putter.

Ball striking was meh, but the good news is that I was hitting the ball where I was aiming. That's a big plus compared to where I had been with my Pings. Flatter lies angles and full weight steel versus graphite so I will let you draw the conclusions. Too soon from my perspective, but it does make one wonder.

If I had a decent short game it wouldn't be much of an ask to par that little course. My chipping just plain sucks! Tried using a variety of clubs with the objective of getting the ball rolling as quick as possible. Paul Runyan's book has been recommended on here before, so I might see if I can get my hands on a copy.

I think I had 16 putts for the round (nine holes) so that isn't bad from where I was putting. The Zebra has been in and out of my bag periodically throughout the spring and it seems to be my best option.

I ended up shooting +8. Considering where I've been game wise in the past few weeks, I'm more than satisfied with my performance at least as far as iron play and putting are concerned. Most importantly, I enjoyed my self and our brisk little 80 minute game.

I have no idea what my next outing will bring, but I'm going to try my best not to overthink things, just play and focus on enjoying myself. I'm going to stick with playing a full vintage bag for the next while regardless of what others expectations might be.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Thanks for the encouragement, b-s!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I guess I need to go back and watch it again. I remember watching those videos last year sometime, but apparently it didn't take! :razz:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I don't use Runyan's style, but I've been influenced by the videos for sure.

Today I played 17 after 6pm. Skipped a par 3 that some guy kept dropping balls to chip onto the green. Slices and shanks from messing with my tee shots, but I hit some really good ones today - no slice. 17th hole was darker yet the 2 wood shot put the ball above the treeline so I was lucky to see how straight it went.

Somehow I got caught up with too much thinking and wasn't doing a full swing at the ball. I think teeing up a tad has helped alot.

Two putters today. My 600 which is reliable and an old H&B flanged blade with brown shaft. I'd love the older one if it weighed twice as much.

Something I noticed: a large loud crowd at one green as I was ready for my tee shot about 30 feet away from them.

I'd just made a 60 yard chip with a 3 iron over a tall grassy knoll and below oak tree branches to cut the corner my drive didn't pass. Rolled up above the rear placed pin on a very sloped green. Unbelievably my first put rolled just enough to give me a 2 foot to par instead of going another 30 feet down and off the green.

I doubt any of those 15 or so guys noticed. Or even noticed I was going to drive on the par 5.

The funny thing I noticed is that they probably didn't even hear my drive. Persimmon with Wilson Duo is pretty quiet.

I was surrounded by deer. They were surrounded by beer.

I'd just made a 60 yard chip with a 3 iron over a tall grassy knoll and below oak tree branches to cut the corner my drive didn't pass. Rolled up above the rear placed pin on a very sloped green. Unbelievably my first put rolled just enough to give me a 2 foot to par instead of going another 30 feet down and off the green.

[...]

I was surrounded by deer. They were surrounded by beer.

Nice par! Always deer on my course too. I love finishing as the light is fading, it's a glorious way to close out the day. And it maximises your chances of not getting stuck behind anyone. I'm actually finding myself playing quicker as I get older. I've discovered I can start later, get the course quieter, and still nip round if there's no traffic in around 2 hours. I'm also practicing more and cycling less these days, so the extra exercise doesn't hurt.

bs,

I don't see how you can do both, golf, and cycling, and not be torn between the two.

When I was actively engaged in cycling, riding centuries, biathlons, and the occasional triathlon, I put my golf almost on the shelf, at best an odd round here and there, with hardly any thought, or practice.

Same thing when I went all in on archery and bow hunting.

I get so consumed by the activity and my impulsive need to master it to the best of my ability that I found it almost impossible to multi-task activities.

Randy

bs,

I don't see how you can do both, golf, and cycling, and not be torn between the two.

When I was actively engaged in cycling, riding centuries, biathlons, and the occasional triathlon, I put my golf almost on the shelf, at best an odd round here and there, with hardly any thought, or practice.

Same thing when I went all in on archery and bow hunting.

I get so consumed by the activity and my impulsive need to master it to the best of my ability that I found it almost impossible to multi-task activities.

Randy

Exactly as you say, is why i'm cycling less. I try to run in my lunch break from work, though I can see how that might not work so well for you...

I will occasionally put myself through a few weeks of higher intensity training and plan some longer rides around that, but I've not been a year round consistent cyclist for a few years. I have this Monday off though and actually plan to test my legs and see what the current damage is.

The worse casualty is my guitar playing. I find it very hard to do that half-heartedly.

Why am I not surprised to see that we have a collection of Renaissance Men here. LOL

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

1967 MacGregor MTRs and Bryon Nelson woods last weekend. Beautiful clubs, ugly golf. Messing around with my swing too much. Definitely fall into the trap of playing golf swing. Spur putter and used it like a drunk. Only birdie was a two putt after I drove the fourth. Grim.

Nice weather and good company though so can't complain though eh?!

Always deer on my course too. I love finishing as the light is fading, it's a glorious way to close out the day. And it maximises your chances of not getting stuck behind anyone. I'm actually finding myself playing quicker as I get older. I've discovered I can start later, get the course quieter, and still nip round if there's no traffic in around 2 hours.

Absolutely. I sat in a Starbucks listening to an old Chinese man talk about business and entrepreneurial trade for a couple hours before heading down the road to the course. I figured I needed people to get hungry and want to go home to their pretty wives before I could get a quick game in.

Alternatively, like tomorrow, I start playing before sunrise when the course allows it.

Thanks for the compliment.

Played some fun golf with Kirasdad this week at a course in Banning ca, Morongo. John said he did not have a persimmon driver so I brought a few for him to try. Pretty wide open so we were able to hit several tee shots with different clubs. Great fun

John fell in love with a Powerbilt 2 wood I had in my bag. He spanked that club, automatic 220 230 down the pipe

Also look in the pic and see the same length clubs he played. I am sure John will post a seperate thread about those

Over the weekend I was going to play 3 different sets. Fri played eye 2s, 2day Wilson 65 Buttonbacks with Ping Zing blonde woods. This may become my main set. Played the best I played all year. Was actually off to a tough start this year. Todays 77 was the best yet and the Wilsons feel incredible. The Ping Zings did not miss a fairway with only a lost of about 10 -15 yards vs the modern woods. Am going to give the 77 apexes a shot 2morrow, we will see what the future holds.

I think button backs refers to a black Wilson circle with a gold crown logo in the center of the head, and is from very late 60's/early 70's. Your clubs would be Dynapowers.

Wilson really knew how to make clubs back then. I love my 56 Dynapowereds the most, and I've got 62-ish Turfriders I also like, but I prefer the heavier 56 heads. And the leather grips.

Been thinking about getting bullet backs since they looks like they've got a nice vibration.

Woke up 3:40am, drove to Santa Rosa. Started at 5:30am - 15 minutes before my online tee time! With the big Bennet Mountain between me and the sun I played yellow Duos until the turn.

It's interesting because somehow I've gotten back to 'OK' shots, a few great shots, and very few terrible shots again. All I can think is that I was using my head too much in the swing or something, but I have been hitting some really pure shots.

Was alone with the deer until end of the 10th hole, where from the green I saw a party of 5 on the par 3 in front of me. I skipped it and drove off 12 in haste. Running along and whacking added a couple shots to my score but I got away and was alone for the rest of the round.

Better round than in a long while! Par on a 413 yards par 4, which is very rare for me to reach in two shots. I actually played a 4 iron to purposefully end up in a safe spot whether I sliced or went left like I have done a little recently. But I made really great contact, felt amazing, and I carried to just below the rise up to the green and rolled to within 15 feet (can't remember). Two easy putts.

Short irons and long irons worked well today, and only 15 putts on the back nine. I had left that new H&B putter in the car. I love the shape but it's just way too light. Original 600 all day this time.

Funny thing is I lost my wallet, and went back to look at three places I expected to see it. Turns out the last place I went (5th hole left side rough) it wasn't there, but a guy in the foursome just ahead on the 6th green had it. Another in his group said 'see, your day already turned out great!'.

After that I went to the Charles Schulz museum.

I have no idea why my photos are sideways...