Rounds with a Vintage Bag

A true Lakeland holiday romp at it's best! Look forward to Friday!

The original 1895 Grange-over-Sands Golf Club Fellgate course is onlt half a mile away, closed in the 1930s having been replaced by the 1919 'New' course on the salt marsh in the estuary land below.

Global warming has resulted in the 'New'course now being commonly flooded, take note, amongst the first of many.

btw the 'New' course has in common with The Augusta National a certain golf course architect.

Lovely course is Morecambe, but my God how bad has it been out there today???? Hailstone city today and its freezing, hope it didn't put you off. I'll be up in the lakes next April, trying to get a game somewhere while I'm there.....hear Windermere has some unbelievable views on the course

Well, yes, it was a bit cool. And the hail did precipitate upon us, and the greens were blathered in the stuff and it took a while to melt.

But were we deterred? Absolutely not. There were great wintry views across the Bay in between the weather. And we had a great time, me, Blade Junkie and the lovely Karen.

Geoff took some photos which I'm sure will be shared with you all. The course was restricted to 'carrying only' but played very well, greens were great.

witb for Stixman? Wilson today, wall to wall. Tour Block Persimmon driver, laminate 4300 Tour 5 wood, 3-PW 1971 Button backs, a Sandy Andy and a Napa Controlled Feel putter., Whitehouse leather bag.

Got the news this morning closing Sunday. After 2 weeks of an all Hogan bag (which performed nicely) decided to play the eye 2s and BB ll metals. I guess after having to be so in touch with my swing with the Hogans The Eyes and BB were like playing at another level. 55 and sunny what a great round. Only missed the first fairway by 5yds and didn't miss another. Hit about 1/2 the greens in reg. Sunday sunset is going to suck.

This afternoon, a beautiful day, I took out some hickories. I haven't played hickory more than a few times this year. Played nine with a driver, spoon, mashie, niblick and putter. I had one drive, a screaming 188 yards, on the eighth hole, and the mashie (120) to the green, easy par.

Only really good hole, but felt good.

Well, yes, it was a bit cool. And the hail did precipitate upon us, and the greens were blathered in the stuff and it took a while to melt.

But were we deterred? Absolutely not. There were great wintry views across the Bay in between the weather. And we had a great time, me, Blade Junkie and the lovely Karen.

Geoff took some photos which I'm sure will be shared with you all. The course was restricted to 'carrying only' but played very well, greens were great.

witb for Stixman? Wilson today, wall to wall. Tour Block Persimmon driver, laminate 4300 Tour 5 wood, 3-PW 1971 Button backs, a Sandy Andy and a Napa Controlled Feel putter., Whitehouse leather bag.

Well done!! Picking up my kids in that yesterday was bad enough but to brave 18 holes deserves full praise! But at least the course was open, mine (Dean wood) was very much closed under water!

i went out with 90,s-early 2000,s gear yesterday-we almost need a seperate catagory for this now as it falls tru the cracks. its not quite vintage and meets with scorn if posted in the regular equiptment section

In classsic car terms we used to have 'Veteran', Vintage', and what you are talking about...Post Vintage Thoroughbreds' How would that work?

i went out with 90,s-early 2000,s gear yesterday-we almost need a seperate catagory for this now as it falls tru the cracks. its not quite vintage and meets with scorn if posted in the regular equiptment section

Super-

What '90s equipment is met with scorn?

Photos would help to clarify any misunderstandings.

Being able to identify equipment is part of this forum, so no one should feel intimidated to post anything from any period.

I've had a few thoughts of trying a 90s round. I think most of us have something in the irons/wedges/putters that fit the bill, after that, it's all about what driver to use. IMHO something sub-300cc is fine, either titanium or steel. Maybe even go a little bigger, but nothing more than about 330cc.

I have a Trimetal Plus I could use for a fwy wood. I should reshaft it with the steel shaft I formerly had in it. Failing something so very 90s as an Orlimar, I think a Tight Lies would also be a good choice. :)

There used to be an ebay seller who had an apparently sizeable stash of Strata Tour Pro 90s, I was buying from him for fall golf for a couple years. It's been a while now, though, they're probably long gone. There's always the Maxfli HT100s.

Of course, this is all academic discussion for me, with snow having hit yesterday. Something to think about for several months. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Today's lineup features the Stan Thompson's my wife bought me in 1991 shortly after we were married. She had won a $500 gift certificate to a local sporting goods store and surprised me with this set along with a few goodies for herself. She actually had a nicer set of clubs than I did at the time due to my Grandpa giving her my Grandma's clubs after she died, and I was playing a pretty beat up starter half-set I had bought used. Unfortunately I made the mistake of allowing a family friend to borrow them about 8 years ago for an outing with her company and she managed to lose the 3 wood and sand wedge. This was during my 12 year golf hiatus (kids, job, etc.) so I wasn't in a hurry to get them back. By the time I did and realized it, we were unable to locate the missing clubs.

Weather today was 39 degrees, windy, overcast, and spitting a little bit of sleet. Not surprisingly I was the only one on the course. The guy at the pro shop told me I was nuts. I told him I was pretending I was playing in Scotland in July. Not too bad if you're dressed appropriately. Played in just over 3 hours carrying without rushing.

I carry the driver about 30 yards shorter than my modern driver so I moved up a set of tees. Not surprisingly I ended up shooting pretty close to what I normally shoot (which is not very good, so we won't mention the actual score). It was actually a little worse, primarily because I wasn't getting along with this putter. They also have quite a bit of offset which seemed to throw me off some with my alignment.

Thursday past. I was playing alone in the morning. With leaves a problem, and the fellows in front of me playing the "Masters", I had plenty of time to kill chipping and putting. This one hole, which goes over a short ravine which gets mowed, almost no one walks down to retrieve their errant tee shots. Since I had time to waste, I decided to walk down and find some balls. I found 25 balls like an Easter egg hunt, out in the open. Some pretty good, and some good enough to lose in the leaves.

Replenished my supply of fall and winter balls.

I went out yesterday for a round of #Teevons golf, lol. The whole bag, including the bag, were purchased from Tim.

I had MacGregor M75 irons, 3-DS from the early 50's and an M85 11 iron. Woods were Mac TW1 (driver, 3w, 4w, 5w) from late 60's(?). Putter was a MacGregor Mike Souchak Blue Devil model.

I hadn't played a single round with any of these, btw. Although I had bent the irons to my usual specs and checked the woods for loft so I had a fairly good idea how far each club should go. I warmed up with about 40 balls on the range and was striping everything. I haven't played much this fall but I did play two weeks ago at Mid Pines. Its amazing what four days of hickory golf can do for your swing.

I birdied the very first hole, a short par 4, with 3w off the tee, DS wedge to 8 feet. I then parred the next 5 holes which brought me to the short par 5 seventh (479 yards). I was short and right of the green in 2 by about 20 yards but then took 2 chips and 2 putts for bogey. After parring 8 I realized I could shoot par for the front side. Haven't done that all year. Hit a decent drive and had 160-165 or so to the pin, which was tucked back right and protected about 4 paces away by a bunker. I hit a perfect 5 iron, or so I thought, only to see it hit the lip of the bunker. Luckily it rolled back into a decent lie and I was able to get up and down for par and a nice round 36 on the front.

I'm still chasing that first full round of par golf, the chase having begun 35 years ago as a 14 year old. But after parring 10 and 11, including a 3 iron from 180 to 10 feet that drew to a back pin position behind another bunker (missed the putt, nuts!), I was starting to think anything might be possible.

Although I had to wonder, if you shoot your first par round but you're playing by yourself, does it really count?

Alas, I wouldn't have to worry about that for long. From the 12th on in I played bogey golf -- including a four putt on the 16th -- and ended up barely breaking 80 by a single stroke. Still, I was pretty stoked. On a day with low expectations and all new (to me) clubs I was more than satisfied.

And I love those Mac M75's, really sweet irons. Very compact, but also very heavy. There's so much iron there you feel like you are swinging a hammer at the ball. With a lot of weight in the sole they gave me a lot of confidence to sweep them off the turf without taking a deep divot. Tim has also sold to me a set of Mac M85's but so far I have found them to be brutally stiff. I can see one of these sets getting the full rebuild treatment some time in the future -- rechrome, new ferrules, new leather grips. Really great irons, imo.

I guess the moral of this story is this: buy your classic clubs from Teevons :good:

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Mmmm, nice. But I've got 1 irons I can't hit any more, so maybe I'll pass. Of course I could be tempted by a 2 iron in stiff with a leather grip lol. Even that may be a bridge too far. Those turfrider blades are awful small compared to, say, the button-backs but they are so sweet to hit.

Wednesday looms and the roll-up with the gang.

Note to self,

'take Wilson Custom Grind 1 iron out for a spin, leave the timber at home. Check out self-fulfilling prophecies which might turn out not be true'

Well, I took a photo this evening to show what we would have seen from Morecambe GC last Friday if the weather wasn't socked in. There really is snow on those hills and quite a lot I'm told. It's rare for this time of the winter, a couple of months early.

Also a witb last Friday.

Well, I took a photo this evening to show what we would have seen from Morecambe GC last Friday if the weather wasn't socked in. There really is snow on those hills and quite a lot I'm told. It's rare for this time of the winter, a couple of months early.

Also a witb last Friday.

Stunning sight, but considering the recent weather it's no surprise there's alot of snow already in the lakes.....also winter hill close by was covered in the white stuff over the weekend. Love the sticks by the way

I went out yesterday for a round of #Teevons golf, lol. The whole bag, including the bag, were purchased from Tim.

I had MacGregor M75 irons, 3-DS from the early 50's and an M85 11 iron. Woods were Mac TW1 (driver, 3w, 4w, 5w) from late 60's(?). Putter was a MacGregor Mike Souchak Blue Devil model.

I hadn't played a single round with any of these, btw. Although I had bent the irons to my usual specs and checked the woods for loft so I had a fairly good idea how far each club should go. I warmed up with about 40 balls on the range and was striping everything. I haven't played much this fall but I did play two weeks ago at Mid Pines. Its amazing what four days of hickory golf can do for your swing.

I birdied the very first hole, a short par 4, with 3w off the tee, DS wedge to 8 feet. I then parred the next 5 holes which brought me to the short par 5 seventh (479 yards). I was short and right of the green in 2 by about 20 yards but then took 2 chips and 2 putts for bogey. After parring 8 I realized I could shoot par for the front side. Haven't done that all year. Hit a decent drive and had 160-165 or so to the pin, which was tucked back right and protected about 4 paces away by a bunker. I hit a perfect 5 iron, or so I thought, only to see it hit the lip of the bunker. Luckily it rolled back into a decent lie and I was able to get up and down for par and a nice round 36 on the front.

I'm still chasing that first full round of par golf, the chase having begun 35 years ago as a 14 year old. But after parring 10 and 11, including a 3 iron from 180 to 10 feet that drew to a back pin position behind another bunker (missed the putt, nuts!), I was starting to think anything might be possible.

Although I had to wonder, if you shoot your first par round but you're playing by yourself, does it really count?

Alas, I wouldn't have to worry about that for long. From the 12th on in I played bogey golf -- including a four putt on the 16th -- and ended up barely breaking 80 by a single stroke. Still, I was pretty stoked. On a day with low expectations and all new (to me) clubs I was more than satisfied.

And I love those Mac M75's, really sweet irons. Very compact, but also very heavy. There's so much iron there you feel like you are swinging a hammer at the ball. With a lot of weight in the sole they gave me a lot of confidence to sweep them off the turf without taking a deep divot. Tim has also sold to me a set of Mac M85's but so far I have found them to be brutally stiff. I can see one of these sets getting the full rebuild treatment some time in the future -- rechrome, new ferrules, new leather grips. Really great irons, imo.

I guess the moral of this story is this: buy your classic clubs from Teevons :good:

I guess you realize that breaking 80 with an all vintage set you can beat I would say 98% of most golfers playing modern stuff from ANY tee. Something to be very proud of IMHO. And from what I read and see on here Teevons has some quality stuff always

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Finally got the chance today to play the 60's era Spalding's that I posted about a couple weeks ago. Hit the persimmons great, hit the irons above average but not as good as the woods, had a lot of trouble chipping/pitching with the with the wedge and took 36 putts with the 60's era bullseye (ouch yes 36 putts not a good day). Yet still managed an 88 and had a blast! My 73 year old dad was all smiles watching me pull those out on the first tee and he should have been since he posted 80 with the modern sticks and beat me for the first time all year. But he was very nostalgic about when he first started playing back in the late 60's so it was worth the thumping ? Anyway I plan to play vintage mostly over the winter and see how it goes, next up Hogans maybe next weekend!

Finally got the chance today to play the 60's era Spalding's that I posted about a couple weeks ago. Hit the persimmons great, hit the irons above average but not as good as the woods, had a lot of trouble chipping/pitching with the with the wedge and took 36 putts with the 60's era bullseye (ouch yes 36 putts not a good day). Yet still managed an 88 and had a blast! My 73 year old dad was all smiles watching me pull those out on the first tee and he should have been since he posted 80 with the modern sticks and beat me for the first time all year. But he was very nostalgic about when he first started playing back in the late 60's so it was worth the thumping Anyway I plan to play vintage mostly over the winter and see how it goes, next up Hogans maybe next weekend!

Yep Mr Bulls Eye will tell on you if you are not hitting it in the sweet spot.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft