2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Count me a fan of those Cobra drivers. The shallow face 10.5 feels great with a steel shaft. Probably my favourite steel headed driver. The Deep Face 9 should have been on my list of best names for clubs - but I find it a bit of a handful to get it airborne, and suspect it's a bit of a low spin beast for my clubhead speed. Had some recent success on the range with a stupidly high tee - maybe enough to warrant taking it out if the fairways scorch this summer. I haven't found either to have a hook bias - in fact the deep face is pretty hook proof in my experience. There were some offset models around though - which I think you'd want to avoid on general principles. Who needs a driver that you can shank?

"The shallow face 10.5 feels great with a steel shaft" that's one of the drivers I have in storage. Can't remember what the loft is on the other one, it's been buried somewhere in a 3x3 for the last 4-5 years. My brother is a great Cobra fan, he still buys new ones iirc.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Well I took Alan advice (thanks Alan), and cleaned up the Hogans for a round last night.

Since I had been playing my King Cobra SZ almost exclusively since picking them up last year, I hadn't hit the Hogans much. So, time to take them out for a whack.

Wow, was that horrible.

First hole - 5i punch from below a tree. Fine enough.

Second hole, a 6i off the tee - shank into long grass. Then after a Hogan Radial E layup, a 9i to the green. Shank into water.

Third hole, no Hogan irons - hybrid, SW

Fourth hole, an 5i off the tee, shank, hit stones by the ladies teebox, ball ricochets into long grass, never to be seen again. Next one was on the green, hit properly.

Fifth hole, nice drive to 110yds. 9i approach with a headwind, shank into a tree then bounces to the next hole. At this point, I'm wondering if I'm going to have to address the ball with half of it off the clubface. Drop a ball on the same spot, and hit a horrible feeling approach that was just off the left side of the green.

Sixth hole, good drive, try to get there in two with the 4h, end up in trees. A 5i punch out, an E into the green. No real iron shots.

Seventh hole, 7i well hit, overdrawn into a bunker.

Eighth hole, 4i well hit off the tee, and drawn nicely. 9i in, and again, over draw.

Ninth hole, no irons - 500 yds into a 30 MPH wind and my drive balooned, I went D, 4W, 4W

Sorry Alan, I'm not listening to you anymore.

Actually, since I'm playing league again this year, I will be using my moderns more often, and apparently I now have my swing grooved to them right now vs. my Hogans. Opposite was true last year.

Rounds with a vintage bag may be in a bit more short supply this year.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Wasn't sure where to post this and didn't want to start a new thread. Not a round but a range story. At the range with Eye 2s and experimenting with adding more tape. Four young 20 somethings hitting just down the line from me. They were just warming up for their round. As they passed me headed to the tee I was just at that moment adding tape to the 7 iron. One of them stoped and said "what the hell is that?". So after telling him, all his boys were there. He asked to hold the club to feel the weight and then asked if he could hit it. Said no problem as I saw them warming up and they could play. He proceeded to take a smooth swing striping the 7 iron 165ish with a baby draw. They wanted to know where to get some lead tape. Oh they also never saw copper eye 2s and were amazed at their look.

Well I took Alan advice (thanks Alan), and cleaned up the Hogans for a round last night.

Since I had been playing my King Cobra SZ almost exclusively since picking them up last year, I hadn't hit the Hogans much. So, time to take them out for a whack.

Wow, was that horrible.

Second hole, a 6i off the tee - shank into long grass. Then after a Hogan Radial E layup, a 9i to the green. Shank into water.

Fourth hole, an 5i off the tee, shank, hit stones by the ladies teebox, ball ricochets into long grass, never to be seen again. Next one was on the green, hit properly.

Fifth hole, nice drive to 110yds. 9i approach with a headwind, shank into a tree then bounces to the next hole. At this point, I'm wondering if I'm going to have to address the ball with half of it off the clubface. Drop a ball on the same spot, and hit a horrible feeling approach that was just off the left side of the green.

Sixth hole, good drive, try to get there in two with the 4h, end up in trees. A 5i punch out, an E into the green. No real iron shots.

Eighth hole, 4i well hit off the tee, and drawn nicely. 9i in, and again, over draw.

Ninth hole, no irons - 500 yds into a 30 MPH wind and my drive balooned, I went D, 4W, 4W

Actually, since I'm playing league again this year, I will be using my moderns more often, and apparently I now have my swing grooved to them right now vs. my Hogans. Opposite was true last year.

Scott, it's the INDIAN, not the ARROWS!!! I'm still laughing thinking about you cursing my name after every shank! No wonder my ears have been ringing!!!

KEEP THE FAITH AND GET OUT TO THE RANGE!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

I've been reluctant to post in this thread or any other for that matter regarding my play as I don't want to mess with the juju/karma as I have been playing pretty well (for me) of late.

I have been struck by the posts talking about how difficult the Apex Plus are to hit. I know that I've said that the long irons are a little lacking in launch for my SS, but beyond that I like them. Ignorance is bliss I guess! (cool)

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I have been struck by the posts talking about how difficult the Apex Plus are to hit. I know that I've said that the long irons are a little lacking in launch for my SS, but beyond that I like them. Ignorance is bliss I guess! (cool)

I've see people say similar things about Golden Rams, how terribly hard they are to hit, that sort of thing. I find that mystifying, as I have had no trouble hitting mine, over the last 16+ years.

Go figure. :pimp:

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I've see people say similar things about Golden Rams, how terribly hard they are to hit, that sort of thing. I find that mystifying, as I have had no trouble hitting mine, over the last 16+ years.

Go figure. :pimp:

More than occasionally, someone will hit a few bad shots playing "x" irons and immediately label the clubs as difficult to hit. Rather than operator error.

Somewhat guilty of this relative to Wilson's. Few crappy shots with them and labeled them not suitable to my "game". And sold off the entire inventory. Now back with a set of FG-17's (for a $10 investment) and wanting them to prove me wrong. Will need some immediate positive reinforcement though.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

So last night was the first night of league play for me, and I arrived with a mixed bag:

• Adams Blue 3Wood (Driver #1)
  • Powerbilt Centenial Driver (Driver #2)
  • Wilson K-28 4 wood
  • 2 Adams Hybrids
  • Wilson K-28 3, 5, 7, 9 Irons
  • Ram Forged PW
  • Unknown 62*/4* bounce forged wedge
  • Northwestern putter

I was very nervous, as this is my first time playing with such a large group. Lot's of witnesses on the first tee. My tee shot had so much top spin on it that it went down into the kettle* in front of the tee box, hit the bank, and rocketed up the middle of the fairway to about 75 yards. So much for the Adams Blue 3 Wood shot number one.

*For those who don't know, a kettle is a bowl shaped depression in the earth. This one is about 20 feet deep.

After a nice 5 iron to the fringe and a chip to one foot, I ended up with par on the hole (4) and moved on with the five-some (which I hate and detest perhaps more than anything on the golf course. But, when in Rome....)

My night went 4. 6, 4, 5, 6, 5, 4, 6, 4 for a 44, which is 4 strokes better than normal. Last night I was not keeping any stats, just focusing on score.

I used the PB on most of the holes, except two; the first and the fourth. After the fourth, the Adams never saw play, and promptly went down in the dungeon when I got home. I also never played the hybrids, who are also now being punished as accessories to the Blue 3 wood's crimes.

The 6s were a result of my bad decision making on the tee, and had nothing to do with the club I was using. Bad tee shot = bad lie / trouble = too many approach shots (like sneaking up on the green. Just hit it already!) = high score. That was my takeaway.

On the final hole, one of the guys in our group said, "Finally giving up on the driver, eh?" (meaning Adams Blue 3Wood) and I said, "No, this is my driver." I showed him the sole on the P/B, and he was surprised. Then curious, then a couple of other guys wanted to see it and said something about being old school. :-)

I hit my irons well, and hit one 4 wood about 170 out of a questionable lie (bog). So I had that going for me. Putting wasn't too bad, and my wedge play is getting better each time I am out. I love the weight of the forged irons and wedges. I can feel the club head again.

Saw some absolutely hideous swings by the other guys, one of which looked like he was trying to hit a bee in mid-air with his driver swing. I have never seen someone swing so flat. It was literally below his shoulder blades. He crushed the ball however, and was the low shooter at 38. Another guy crushed the ball too, but that was the extent of his game. Fun to watch, and fun to play with.

Next week I will be leaving the moderns home (and the cart) since I didn't use them anyway. I will be going with my P/B driver, Wilson 3 & 4, 4 or 5 Wilson irons, the 2 wedges, and the putter. After my round on Saturday morning, I may even cull the herd further and try to get down to 8 clubs.

Our course is on the short side, with very tiny greens, few of which will hold an approach shot other than a bump and run. What it lacks in distance is made up for in hazards (water, sand, swamp, trees, bogs, and more water). So it's fun to play, and the "old school clubs are prefect for that kind of layout.

So that's my report. All in all, it was a fun night and I was pleased with the score.

:golfer:

Wow, was that horrible.

I'm sorry but this made my morning. My wife asked what's so funny as tears rolled down my face. I've been there plenty of times. Shanks are so contagious that the only remedy is to call it a day. Nothing worse than addressing ball and feeling like you're setup for a shank. Then at the top of your backswing feeling the unavoidable hozzleer. One thing I have realized is that it's not the clubs lol. Gotta love this game!

Scott, it's the INDIAN, not the ARROWS!!! I'm still laughing thinking about you cursing my name after every shank! No wonder my ears have been ringing!!!

Not sure if you've ever listened to Bad News. It was a British comedy project in the late 80's, where a group of comedians (The Young Ones) make a mockumentary of "The Worst Rock and Roll Band in the World - Bad News!".

The singer/lead guitarist went by the name of Vim Fuego (talk about the wrong sports car to name yourself after), though his real name is Alan. Well the bassist (Colin Grigson played brilliantly by Rik Mayall, RIP) likes to antagonize Vim by calling him "Alan" on a regular basis.

In short, while golfing, I could hear myself in my head (using a sarcastic British voice), "Well bringing out the Hogans was a great idea, wasn't it, Alan." LOL.

If you don't mind some cursing, please follow the following link. Album is also available on iTunes - worth the few sheckles it is. Imagine the most dysfunctional recording session imaginable, interspersed with some of the worst 80's metal ever written. Oh yes, and a horridly funny cover of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

"Careful, Alan" at 1:30 of the first track. LOL.

And actually Alan, I know my issue has been created by having a quicker tempo "going after it" modern club swing versus my "smooth as Robert Goulet" blade swing.

Haha, reminds me of another video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duOOkm15-lc

And welcome here, Mr. 4Putt, to pretty much the nicest forum on the old interwebs.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Played a quick evening round of 9+ holes at Champions in Columbus (RTJ Sr design)...went off as a single, joined a twosome on #4, was joined by another on #5. Didn't really keep score as I started off playing 2 balls and goofed off so as not to rush into the guys ahead.

M85W Driver, Eye-O-Matic 60's 4 wd, Hogan Apex PC's, Radial SW, TPM #3 putter.

Haven't played much this year but played decently well. The twosome was a bit younger and I saw them checking out what I hit for a Driver...about a hole later they were really interested, wanted to see it, told me I hit it really well, etc...the one guy had played "back in the day" and talked about the feel of really hitting one "On the screws"...he later asked if he could hit mine...I, uh, well, I hesitated, then he said don't worry about it. If I'd had any other wooden driver I'd have let him, just not my baby! hahaha! His friend was a very powerful hitter and I was worried he might flat out break the thing. I did offer to let them hit my 3wd (later discovered it was a 4wd in my bag) but he declined.

I've thought abut carrying another driver for when/if someone asks to hit one...just didn't have my whole act together yet to offer that.

Anyway, playing a small tournament on this same course Sunday morning. Probably going to carry the vintage bag as this course sets up well for classic gear, there is a premium on placement vs distance.

Not sure if you've ever listened to Bad News. It was a British comedy project in the late 80's, where a group of comedians (The Young Ones) make a mockumentary of "The Worst Rock and Roll Band in the World - Bad News!".

The singer/lead guitarist went by the name of Vim Fuego (talk about the wrong sports car to name yourself after), though his real name is Alan. Well the bassist (Colin Grigson played brilliantly by Rik Mayall, RIP) likes to antagonize Vim by calling him "Alan" on a regular basis.

In short, while golfing, I could hear myself in my head (using a sarcastic British voice), "Well bringing out the Hogans was a great idea, wasn't it, Alan." LOL.

If you don't mind some cursing, please follow the following link. Album is also available on iTunes - worth the few sheckles it is. Imagine the most dysfunctional recording session imaginable, interspersed with some of the worst 80's metal ever written. Oh yes, and a horridly funny cover of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

"Careful, Alan" at 1:30 of the first track. LOL.

And actually Alan, I know my issue has been created by having a quicker tempo "going after it" modern club swing versus my "smooth as Robert Goulet" blade swing.

Haha, reminds me of another video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duOOkm15-lc

And welcome here, Mr. 4Putt, to pretty much the nicest forum on the old interwebs.

The young ones....brilliant!! You'll never beat the university challenge episode and I can hear Rik mayells voice now 'well bringing the Hogan's out was a great idea' ha ha quality, and hes sadly missed!

Have lots to update on, with regards to my rounds since February, with respect to particular set makeups, modern, classic, and hickory, so I will space them out in various threads, but, for now, a thumbnail sketch of the last two Saturday morning blitz sessions.

Two weeks ago, feeling under the weather I nevertheless drove an hour to tee it up with a group of 30 odd, various aged chaps at a club a friend of mine belongs to.

One of the benefits of my "retirement job" is that I get either free, or greatly discounted golf at almost any course, public, or private, in the area. All for the penance of cutting a little grass, and doing some irrigation work, at one of the local private clubs. My years in the military serve me well there, as I can say, "Yes Sir," with a smile, with the best of 'em.

But, I regress, anyway, two Saturdays ago, feeling my age, I teed it up with a Penna keyhole 2 wood, Macgregor DX keyhole 3, and 4. '71 Buttonbacks 2-9, '69 Bulletback PW, '70ish Dynapowered 56 SW and Anser style Otey C. putter.

The magic started right out of the gate. First hole, 3 wood off the tee, effortlessly placed within a 9 iron of the green. Without going into boring shot by shot details it was the kind of day I suspect those of far greater ability than I experience frequently. I was in command of my ball, no hit and hope, no, I wonder where this is going to end up. Just put the ball on the tee, and swing with the knowledge of that's where I'll play my next shot from.

Fast forward to yesterday, feeling study and supple, no ill in my body at all, I was looking forward to more of the same.

Not so!!!! Not a bad day, but, the genie was not coming out of the bottle with the same consistency as the week before.

Surprisingly for me, when I tallied up the tics at the end of the round I was within a stroke of the previous weeks score. Short game and putting ruled the day.

If only both could be present at the same time for just a few more rounds in my life, what a happy golfing camper I would be.

Have lots to update on, with regards to my rounds since February, with respect to particular set makeups, modern, classic, and hickory, so I will space them out in various threads, but, for now, a thumbnail sketch of the last two Saturday morning blitz sessions.

Two weeks ago, feeling under the weather I nevertheless drove an hour to tee it up with a group of 30 odd, various aged chaps at a club a friend of mine belongs to.

One of the benefits of my "retirement job" is that I get either free, or greatly discounted golf at almost any course, public, or private, in the area. All for the penance of cutting a little grass, and doing some irrigation work, at one of the local private clubs. My years in the military serve me well there, as I can say, "Yes Sir," with a smile, with the best of 'em.

But, I regress, anyway, two Saturdays ago, feeling my age, I teed it up with a Penna keyhole 2 wood, Macgregor DX keyhole 3, and 4. '71 Buttonbacks 2-9, '69 Bulletback PW, '70ish Dynapowered 56 SW and Anser style Otey C. putter.

The magic started right out of the gate. First hole, 3 wood off the tee, effortlessly placed within a 9 iron of the green. Without going into boring shot by shot details it was the kind of day I suspect those of far greater ability than I experience frequently. I was in command of my ball, no hit and hope, no, I wonder where this is going to end up. Just put the ball on the tee, and swing with the knowledge of that's where I'll play my next shot from.

Fast forward to yesterday, feeling study and supple, no ill in my body at all, I was looking forward to more of the same.

Not so!!!! Not a bad day, but, the genie was not coming out of the bottle with the same consistency as the week before.

Surprisingly for me, when I tallied up the tics at the end of the round I was within a stroke of the previous weeks score. Short game and putting ruled the day.

If only both could be present at the same time for just a few more rounds in my life, what a happy golfing camper I would be.

Randy,

It's great to have you back with us!

Alan

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Randy,

It's great to have you back with us!

Alan

I've had your two saturdays in one round before. If only there was a way to keep that genie out of that bottle!

Not about the clubs. Not about the score. I slipped away from a weekend at the in-laws for an afternoon in just the purest links experience on the Aberdeenshire coast. Played a single, no traffic, 2 and a half hours, in and out and around the dunes in what was easily a 3 club breeze. I think maybe only 3 holes played across, everything else was pretty straight up or down wind and it was just great fun. Tight turf and greens that put my home club to shame. 2 irons travelling anything from 160 to 230 yards. Longest par 4 was straight into the teeth, driver off the deck for second shot actually made sense and still left a wedge to get home. Quite proud of that 5. Course was almost straight out and back, and actually scored better on the inward half playing back into the wind. Need to remember that that's possible...

Well, I have found a winning combination to go with my 85 Miz Cimarron blades! I had picked up a set of Mizuno MXL's at a thrift to resell and a few metal woods to go with them. Didn't pay enough attention and when I got home saw that the new Mizzys were a firm flex but that 2 of the woods I'd grabbed were a Senior Flex. Oh well, I like a lighter flex with my slower SS so I gave them a go today. Wow! TaylorMade 320 Ti 12* Driver and a Cobra SZ Hyper Steel 3 Wood. I was hitting both really solidly and playing well in the middle of the fairway. Good distance for me with both clubs. I have often struggled with a 3 wood off the deck and just go to my 2 iron but I was hitting the Cobra effortlessly. My putting was also strong today using a Bobby Grace The Fat Lady Swings (Pat Pen) putter. Shooting par and boogie on a course which hadn't cut back the rough yet due to the overabundance of rain we've had the last 2 weeks. The pro's would have been whining about it today I'm sure. ;) I believe I will be sticking with this combination for a while. Not only was I hitting everything well but it just all felt right together. An added bonus was that I didn't feel beat up or exhausted when I finished. I'm a Happy Man!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Last Sunday took out Hogan apexes and speed slots. This Sunday was 65 DynaPower irons and a Ping zing blonde 3 wood, and a Kool Kat F. Love the Kool Kat. Starting to look for a 4.5

Where did you find the Kool Kat? What shaft is in there friend?

The shaft is a Formula A shaft by G. Loomis think that was the standard for that club. I picked this up in a barrel (some top marks). I know their on e-bay. A lot of them are priced at "sellers dreams".

Took some oldies out to the range today, mix of wood and metal heads.

The persimmon woods are always bang on the money, but I was especially pleased with the way I was hitting the TaylorMade r7 425 driver, which tends to draw without some weights at the pointy end. Using a grip with left hand anticlock and right hand V on top of the shaft which stops the club rotating left at impact, feet closer at address and a 6inch gap between club and tee, it all came together and I was banging the balls high and straight down the practice fairway. Using a shorter tee was another tinker..

Only mishits were with the vintage short irons of all things!. Cleveland 4W also went well off the tee so it was a very productive afternoon. Now if I can translate that to the game next week I'll be a happy camper.

correction: tends to draw

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Good luck on the "theory to practice" Nomad. A term we used in my submersible life meaning to take the training into real world situations. Perhaps a misnomer as a statement. In this context as I mean in taking the range to the course.

The various aspects of the golf game, long, short, putting, and all the subcategories of each...keeping each in check, is like trying to herd stray cats.

Good luck on the "theory to practice" Nomad. A term we used in my submersible life meaning to take the training into real world situations. Perhaps a misnomer as a statement. In this context as I mean in taking the range to the course.

The various aspects of the golf game, long, short, putting, and all the subcategories of each...keeping each in check, is like trying to herd stray cats.

haha I spent some of my navy days exploring the submersible life via Heinke and Moray, now I spend days trying to work out why the hell practice doesn't always translate into reality.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Went out this morning on the back nine with a P/B driver, new to me P/B persimmon 2 wood, Wilson 3 & 4 wood, Wilson K-28 2, 4-9 irons, Ram PW, NW putter, and a no name forged 62* wedge.

Had loads of fun, but didn't score well. Hit some quality shots, and hit the 1 & 2 woods as good as my Adams titanium woods, so that was nice. Hit a 2 iron off the tee for the first time in like 35 years and loved it. I think I found a good combination for now.

I just got a berryllium copper Wilson R90 wedge this week and tried it out this morning. Although the clubhead looks smaller than I remember the balance and bounce felt as good as any wedge I've ever played. I need to check the loft, I'm guessing it's 52 or 54 since I was hitting it about 115-120.

I've pretty much gone to playing old school clubs permanently now using various eye o matic woods from the 1950s and a 1951 set of macgregor tourney 905s irons. I've fallen in love with the two "double duty" macgregor wedges I picked up this year (each has a rut in the middle of the flange to affect the bounce).

This morning was 39-39=78 with 34 putts and 10 GIR. So I can't really complain. I just love the feeling of the old wood when it makes contact

PS. I just started reading Tommy' Honor. After 30 pages, I'm hooked

Macgregor Tourney Byron Nelson 1949 stainless irons
Iron master 1952 putter
Ben Hogan Speed Slot 403 woods
Macgregor M75 Driver 1952
Wilson R90 wedge
Macgregor 3852MS Double Duty wedge
Macgregor Tourney Tommy Armour 915 1 Iron

Went out this morning on the back nine with a P/B driver, new to me P/B persimmon 2 wood, Wilson 3 & 4 wood, Wilson K-28 2, 4-9 irons, Ram PW, NW putter, and a no name forged 62* wedge.

Had loads of fun, but didn't score well. Hit some quality shots, and hit the 1 & 2 woods as good as my Adams titanium woods, so that was nice. Hit a 2 iron off the tee for the first time in like 35 years and loved it. I think I found a good combination for now.

Nice set. These were my sweet classics from yesterdays game (85)

p.s. remind me to oil the #3

p.p.s. oiled

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Nice set. These were my sweet classics from yesterdays game (85)

p.s. remind me to oil the #3

classic set up I like it

Nice set up

Popped out for a few holes on my own the other evening. Complete jumble of a bag. Two drivers (a Wilson and a Hogan), long Mac two wood, laminate Wilson four wood, Hagen half set of irons, Mac wedge and a bullseye.

Started about half seven, but got a full eighteen in, just over two hours. Obviously not waiting for anyone and getting pretty dark by the end.

Striking it nicely though. Lots of shots I enjoyed, lots going as I wanted and the ones that weren't were not that bad. Think I only missed two greens.

Faux eyeomatic Hogan with an apex four shaft is a nice club. Lovely flight into the wind even if it doesn't feel quite stiff enough. Only have a couple of Hogans so not that familiar with the set up. Will be played again though...

Jonny, this ones for you. I suspect we are of a kindred spirit when it comes to what we reap as satisfaction from a round of golf.

To borrow from Ginsberg's Beat Generations "Howl," I suppose chasing "the angry fix" tallied at the end of a round is of less consequence to us than the sublime gratification experienced by a proper strike.

Not to insinuate that score, relative to par, is not an object of the game, but, it is not chief among the sins that feed our golf addiction.

Correct me if I have missed the mark.