2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

NE Ohio Players

GoIrish17

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got a job with some vacation days, not looking on going on any big golf trips. However I want to play some fun courses within a couple hours of Warren. My list of courses to play this year are Virtues, Quarry and Cranberry Highlands.

Looking for some really good deals on some courses to play. I am thinking about going down to West Virginia to play Oglebay probably the Palmer course. Anyone have any other suggestions within about 2-3 hours of Warren, Ohio?

Ping G Elements Chrome 5F4
Srixon F65 17 Stock Stiff

Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 Stock Recoil

Titleist AP2 716 DG SL TI S300 4-PW

Titleist SM5 Tour Chrome 50/08 F, 54/10 M and SM7 58/14 K Grind S300

Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Indy

Finally got a job with some vacation days, not looking on going on any big golf trips. However I want to play some fun courses within a couple hours of Warren. My list of courses to play this year are Virtues, Quarry and Cranberry Highlands.

Looking for some really good deals on some courses to play. I am thinking about going down to West Virginia to play Oglebay probably the Palmer course. Anyone have any other suggestions within about 2-3 hours of Warren, Ohio?

There are some really nice courses up towards Cleveland, I live about an hour from you, I used to do some work at the steel plant there. Shale Creek in Medina is very nice, the Cleveland metroparks courses are really good, Sleepy Hollow, Big met. Towards Columbus is really nice courses. Windmill Lakes in Ravenna is very nice.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

I've played Windmill Lakes quite a few times. Shale Creek and Sleepy Hollow are on my radar didn't know Big Met was that good I have heard more about Manikiki but it's either really good or really bad.

I've played Windmill Lakes quite a few times. Shale Creek and Sleepy Hollow are on my radar didn't know Big Met was that good I have heard more about Manikiki but it's either really good or really bad.

Shale is badass. Sleepy hollow is decent but the weekend warrior rangers get annoying when they pull up on your a** because your group is 3 mins behind their scheduled pace

Yeah, have to put up with them, I don't pay attention to them, just keep the pace, I enjoy the course.

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

TM TP5X

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone live near/ have any information on Manakiki? I was thinking about playing there Saturday, as my wife has something going on up there and we're meeting friends near there afterwards for dinner that evening. Figured I could sneak in a round there rather than drive two cars. Their website booking page is off, and searching GolfNow and Golf 18 Network turned nothing up. Have they not opened it up yet? Is the course just really wet? I know there's a lot of low ground there.

I'll fully admit I haven't called there to ask, I figured maybe someone here could answer for me and save me the trouble. I'll call them tomorrow if no one responds here.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Does anyone live near/ have any information on Manakiki? I was thinking about playing there Saturday, as my wife has something going on up there and we're meeting friends near there afterwards for dinner that evening. Figured I could sneak in a round there rather than drive two cars. Their website booking page is off, and searching GolfNow and Golf 18 Network turned nothing up. Have they not opened it up yet? Is the course just really wet? I know there's a lot of low ground there.

I'll fully admit I haven't called there to ask, I figured maybe someone here could answer for me and save me the trouble. I'll call them tomorrow if no one responds here.

Looks like from their Facebook page guys have been golfing there, in the last week.

Shale is badass. Sleepy hollow is decent but the weekend warrior rangers get annoying when they pull up on your a** because your group is 3 mins behind their scheduled pace

Played The Quarry last Wednesday and Shale Creek today. I absolutely loved Shale Creek it was one of my favorite layouts I have ever played. I think I could say it has the best group of short par 4's I have ever played as well. Both courses were in amazing shape besides being wet and the bunkers not being raked which is fine because it's been so wet.

Does anyone know when Valley of the Eagles is going to open? I think they built it on the old Spring Valley CC in Elyria. I am hoping the price point will be closer to Boulder Creek/Fowlers mill price range then Avalon Lakes price range.

I drive by it almost every day, most of the back of the course is still dirt, the front by the entrance looks finished, but there is not play there yet. Yes it used to be Spring Valley, played there a lot over the years as its close to home.

I have talked to a lot of people around the course and no one knows the status. I hope it opens, the website shows a really cool design, and hope that they do not price themselves out of the area.

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

TM TP5X

Does anyone know when Valley of the Eagles is going to open? I think they built it on the old Spring Valley CC in Elyria. I am hoping the price point will be closer to Boulder Creek/Fowlers mill price range then Avalon Lakes price range.

I drive by it almost every day, most of the back of the course is still dirt, the front by the entrance looks finished, but there is not play there yet. Yes it used to be Spring Valley, played there a lot over the years as its close to home.

I have talked to a lot of people around the course and no one knows the status. I hope it opens, the website shows a really cool design, and hope that they do not price themselves out of the area.

I called the phone number on the Nicklaus website, it didn't however give me any more information. I also emailed troon golf (they are managing it according to the website) and the email listed for the course. Hopefully I will get a response back, I remember I posted something about a year ago about it. I had the opportunity to play Aston Oaks in Cincinnati and really enjoyed it. I'm excited for a Nicklaus design closer to home.

"Hello Dakota,

We're aiming for June but there's still quite a bit to be done.

Thank you for your interest."

That is the response I got back from Troon Golf, I feel like that is a fabricated answer.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Played grey hawk last night....it actually looks like they're trying to save he place. Bunkers are still assssss though.

And it would apparently still kill people to fix their ball marks on the green. I've never seen a course where people are so lazy to repair marks.

I agree, played there Saturday morning, and the ball marks were everywhere. I cannot understand why people cannot bend over. Lazy.

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

TM TP5X

• 1 month later...

Valley of the Eagles is opening August 5th it's a Saturday. It's $40 bucks with some water and snacks I think it said. They said rates will vary from $35-60

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hope you made it out to the tent sale it was last week. I just picked up a dozen Q Star Tours (the new version). I'm too cheap to pick up clubs there. Anyone got any good suggestions for fun to play courses for some birdies chances. I played Avalon Lakes saturday in our Vindy Greatest tournament and it beat me up playing 7,000 yards and hitting driver and 3 wood into a lot of the par 4's. Thinking about maybe Sable Creek, but I've never been there.

Does anyone know of anywhere in NE Ohio that can mill/ drill a sight dot on the topline of a putter? I was going to send to BOS, but would rather save the shipping charges and time and have it done local. I Googled a machine shops and the couple I called said they only do bigger jobs. Prefer near to the Akron area.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Hope you made it out to the tent sale it was last week. I just picked up a dozen Q Star Tours (the new version). I'm too cheap to pick up clubs there. Anyone got any good suggestions for fun to play courses for some birdies chances. I played Avalon Lakes saturday in our Vindy Greatest tournament and it beat me up playing 7,000 yards and hitting driver and 3 wood into a lot of the par 4's. Thinking about maybe Sable Creek, but I've never been there.

What are you looking for in a course? I'm originally from the Warren area and now live in the Akron area, and have played most of the public courses in NE Ohio. Sable Creek is a fun little hidden gem course in Hartville. 27 holes with a nice practice area. And, unlike most 27 hole courses in the area, there's probably 20+ really good holes there. Most courses with more than 18 holes ought to just pick out 18 good ones and close the rest. Sable is one that I wouldn't have any problem playing 27 holes in one day and not feeling like I got robbed on half of them. Mostly open holes with rolling terrain that results in a lot of blind tee shots. It's tough to score on your first time around, as you could find yourself out of position simply due to picking the wrong line off the tee. But, it's a fair course that you can score well at if you keep the ball in front of you and your short game is sharp.

I played a few rounds down near Canton recently, Elms CC and The Legends of Massillon. Both really nice tracks, but different styles. Elms is a big, old parkland course that hosts the Tigertown Open, the "richest one-day professional tournament in Ohio". Beware, it can beat you up from the tips. Legends is a 27 hole course that has more of a links feel. It is newer and not as mature, but visually it is beautiful. I have only played the North and East courses there, I am looking forward to playing the South course, which goes right by the old Massillon insane asylum.

NE Ohio must-plays: Boulder Creek, Quarry, Manakiki, Fowlers Mill, Little Mountain (though I haven't played it in a while and have heard it's a little rough in spots and there's always ongoing construction projects around the course)

Next level courses that are definitely worth playing: Windmill Lakes, Brookledge, Gleneagles, Sable Creek, Kennsington, Reserve Run (one of my personal favorites), Sanctuary, Hawthorne Valley (though I've heard it's gone downhill, unfortunately), Raintree, JE Good Park, Ellsworth Meadows, Sugarbush, Shale Creek, Pine Hills, Madison CC, Chippewa, Flying B, Salem Hills, Firestone Farms

I know what you mean on Avalon, my parents are members there so I get out there (and Squaw & Buhl) a few times a year. Avalon can beat you up from that distance, it's just not fun playing a casual round (to me) from that distance. Competitive, sure, it is what is is and everyone is playing from the same set of tees. I'm playing Trumbull CC tomorrow afternoon. That's a nice, easy track (if you're hitting it straight).

If you're just looking for easy scoring to get your confidence back after a rough round at the Lakes, go out to Duck Creek, Lakeside, Old Avalon, or Olde Dutch Mill. Paradise Lakes in Mogadore is always a nice confidence builder for me when I am getting beat up a little. It's more of a target course where you'll hit a lot of clubs other than driver off of tees and have short to mid irons into greens, if you've hit your spots. I actually l just shot my personal best even par 70 at Bedford Trails in Coitsville, so that one must be pretty easy too, lol.

Check out GolfClevelandOhio.com if you want some reviews of courses. It's a well done site with photos and detailed write-ups of most public courses within an hour or so of Cleveland. There's a top 20 that is constantly re-evaluated as courses are reviewed and re-reviewed. Plus, it's run by the commissioner of my league I play in at Shale Creek, so it's always nice to be able to suggest courses for review to him and suggest when he needs to get out to re-rate a course because it's either improved or been neglected.

What are you looking for in a course? I'm originally from the Warren area and now live in the Akron area, and have played most of the public courses in NE Ohio. Sable Creek is a fun little hidden gem course in Hartville. 27 holes with a nice practice area. And, unlike most 27 hole courses in the area, there's probably 20+ really good holes there. Most courses with more than 18 holes ought to just pick out 18 good ones and close the rest. Sable is one that I wouldn't have any problem playing 27 holes in one day and not feeling like I got robbed on half of them. Mostly open holes with rolling terrain that results in a lot of blind tee shots. It's tough to score on your first time around, as you could find yourself out of position simply due to picking the wrong line off the tee. But, it's a fair course that you can score well at if you keep the ball in front of you and your short game is sharp.

I played a few rounds down near Canton recently, Elms CC and The Legends of Massillon. Both really nice tracks, but different styles. Elms is a big, old parkland course that hosts the Tigertown Open, the "richest one-day professional tournament in Ohio". Beware, it can beat you up from the tips. Legends is a 27 hole course that has more of a links feel. It is newer and not as mature, but visually it is beautiful. I have only played the North and East courses there, I am looking forward to playing the South course, which goes right by the old Massillon insane asylum.

NE Ohio must-plays: Boulder Creek, Quarry, Manakiki, Fowlers Mill, Little Mountain (though I haven't played it in a while and have heard it's a little rough in spots and there's always ongoing construction projects around the course)

Next level courses that are definitely worth playing: Windmill Lakes, Brookledge, Gleneagles, Sable Creek, Kennsington, Reserve Run (one of my personal favorites), Sanctuary, Hawthorne Valley (though I've heard it's gone downhill, unfortunately), Raintree, JE Good Park, Ellsworth Meadows, Sugarbush, Shale Creek, Pine Hills, Madison CC, Chippewa, Flying B, Salem Hills, Firestone Farms

I know what you mean on Avalon, my parents are members there so I get out there (and Squaw & Buhl) a few times a year. Avalon can beat you up from that distance, it's just not fun playing a casual round (to me) from that distance. Competitive, sure, it is what is is and everyone is playing from the same set of tees. I'm playing Trumbull CC tomorrow afternoon. That's a nice, easy track (if you're hitting it straight).

If you're just looking for easy scoring to get your confidence back after a rough round at the Lakes, go out to Duck Creek, Lakeside, Old Avalon, or Olde Dutch Mill. Paradise Lakes in Mogadore is always a nice confidence builder for me when I am getting beat up a little. It's more of a target course where you'll hit a lot of clubs other than driver off of tees and have short to mid irons into greens, if you've hit your spots. I actually l just shot my personal best even par 70 at Bedford Trails in Coitsville, so that one must be pretty easy too, lol.

Check out GolfClevelandOhio.com if you want some reviews of courses. It's a well done site with photos and detailed write-ups of most public courses within an hour or so of Cleveland. There's a top 20 that is constantly re-evaluated as courses are reviewed and re-reviewed. Plus, it's run by the commissioner of my league I play in at Shale Creek, so it's always nice to be able to suggest courses for review to him and suggest when he needs to get out to re-rate a course because it's either improved or been neglected.

I haven't played The Elms, Manakiki, JE Good Park, Pine Hills, Salem Hills or Paradise Lake. I ended up playing Walnut Run and then went and played the links 9 today. I had more fun on the links 9 than I have had almost all year. I play Duck Creek and Riverview on a regular basis. I definitely want to get out to Chippewa soon, I really enjoyed Reserve Run as well. I am getting to the point were there isn't too many courses I haven't played.

Bedford Trails is really tight, we played there in a few high school matches. I always seem to play better when I am laying up off the tee. That is still a solid round there. I find it to play slightly above average difficulty.

Sable Creek is always well kept and fun. I would strongly consider Seven Hills if you plan to travel too Hartville it's the superior course. The BEST course in Hartville is Congress Lake Country Club, seriously amazing old as dust club. Played Youngstown CC yesterday, what a great layout so much fun. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I haven't played The Elms, Manakiki, JE Good Park, Pine Hills, Salem Hills or Paradise Lake. I ended up playing Walnut Run and then went and played the links 9 today. I had more fun on the links 9 than I have had almost all year. I play Duck Creek and Riverview on a regular basis. I definitely want to get out to Chippewa soon, I really enjoyed Reserve Run as well. I am getting to the point were there isn't too many courses I haven't played.

Bedford Trails is really tight, we played there in a few high school matches. I always seem to play better when I am laying up off the tee. That is still a solid round there. I find it to play slightly above average difficulty.

Ah, the 'Nut. I grew up down the street from there, really less than a mile. Unfortunately, there were only 9 holes when I was younger and the clubhouse was on Rt. 5 out towards the Links 9, so I couldn't just ride my bike there. That course was really fun and well kept when it first opened, and then again when they opened the second 9. Now that they're trying to sell the place, it seems like they're doing just below bare minimum to keep it playable. Sand traps are more or less ground under repair now, the fairways are pretty patchy, and the greens are really patchy. It's a shame, it's a decent layout other than the houses that are in play on so many holes (and that stupid #12, which would be a tough but fair golf hole if the green were a little deeper and not like hitting into pavement so you could actually hold the green). I agree, the Links 9 is a fun little patch of land. I don't know how it is now, but it used to be you just jammed $5 (or $10 to ride, or whatever it was) in the mail slot on the door and headed out on your own. I always went there rather than a driving range. For half the cost of a large bucket, I had the place to myself and could work on shots from everywhere. Except for the one time I showed up for a little practice only to walk to the second hole and find the Maplewood girls JV golf team Havercamping it around the course. If one of those chicks broke 70 for 9 holes, I'd be shocked.

Sable Creek is always well kept and fun. I would strongly consider Seven Hills if you plan to travel too Hartville it's the superior course. The BEST course in Hartville is Congress Lake Country Club, seriously amazing old as dust club. Played Youngstown CC yesterday, what a great layout so much fun. BB

I still haven't played Seven Hills, which I regret. I have been playing Sable once a year, since they have one of those "free birthday round" coupons on their website. I really just need to make a trip to Seven Hills. Congress Lake is private, isn't it? I remember seeing Hamlin play there on the old Tee it up Ohio show on STO. Really looks like a nice track.

I got the chance to play Firestone West last Thursday, thanks to a couple WRX buddies. That's a cool course, needless to say. But, it was made cooler by the fact that they had not finished taking down all of the bleachers and other structures from the Bridgestone. It made blocking a drive a little easier to stomach when I got to take a drop from the grandstands around the south course. And the range there is probably in better condition than the majority of golf courses I will play this year.

Another course in Y-Town area that is a must play if you have a chance is the Lake Club in Poland (which is like Poland/ North Lima area, near 680/ Western Reserve Rd.). Not the most difficult course, but always perfect conditions. It reminds me of the old country clubs in the area like Tippy, Ytown CC, Trumbull. Very classy and top notch, but not such a huge membership that they're always packed like the Avalon courses.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to try Manikiki on Friday....I hope it lives up to the hype. Its a long drive up there from where I'm at but meeting a few friends there. heading to Olde Stonewall in PA on Sunday...that should be a fun round. I got killed there last year....I think I blew right past 100 after a few tough holes.

Youngstown is a great layout but I fear for it's future. It would be a shame to watch it wither away.