Dismal River Dilemma

Ace Underhill

So the other week I got asked by an executive in the company I work for if I wanted to join him and a few others for a trip to Dismal River Golf Club near Mullen, NE. He said he put me down as an alternate and assumed one of his buddies would back out. This is the course Jack designed here in Nebraska and is close to Sand Hills and from what I've heard very hard to get on and play if not a member. Without hesitating I said I would go in a heartbeat and to keep me posted. Well I found out last night I got the lucky ticket and was no longer on the "alternate list".

This morning I get into my email and realized I had bought this spring 6 tickets for a Jason Aldean concert with friends and my wife on the same day we would leave for the golf trip. I am utterly sick to my stomach and I don't know what to do. The only turn off for the golf trip is it's pricey. $205 to play Thursday, $245 to play Friday, $275 for the room one night and God knows how much for a dinner & drinks there the Thursday night. I'm putting an estimate around $1,000 for the 2 1/2 day trip up there. Am I passing up a once in a lifetime offer if I say no? I need to get back to him today as the course needs everyone's name for the booking. Do I even dare ask my wife what to do? We've only been married a year and I know she would flip if she found out how much I'd be paying for this trip.

Callaway Epic Mini driver- 12.5* (Epic head, Mini Big Bertha shaft- Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 S)
TM Burner Superfast 2.0- 3 wood 15*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid (UST Mamiya Recoil ES 780 S)- 18*
Maltby DBM (KBS Tour S)- 4-GW
Bridgestone J15 wedges (True Temper DG Spinner)- 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Select

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played it twice and it's always an enjoyable experience (see my profile pic). Typically, I've stayed 2 nights, play 36 holes and it's rounded out to be about $900-$1000 (I also bought items in the Proshop and like to imbibe while I'm there). We played Wildhorse on the drive up and drive back.

Your estimate is about right. Food is moderately priced. Sandwiches and burgers are $10-$15. Steaks, fish, etc. are $30-$45. Appetizers, salads are generally $10. Drinks...beer is gonna range $3.50-$6.00 (depending on what you get). Mixed drinks will likely be $8.00+. They kind of go on the honor system...so you take beers, sodas, Gatorade, snacks and write down what you took and it's expensed to the room. Jack's Shack is available after #18 where you can grab a quick lunch between your 9's.

It is a private course and exclusive. You can't play unless your are sponsored by a member to play or invited along by someone who is a member. I don't know if I'd say it's a once-in-a-life time chance, but it's likely it won't come up again for awhile. Again, I've always enjoyed my experience...it's always been memorable and I love that style of golf...not something you can find too often.

I'm not a country music fan, so I know what my choice would be! Since you are asking and worried about the wife, it might best to use this as opportunity to get the kitchen pass for a future trip. I think if there wasn't another event (concert), your wife would be fine with it, but I struggle to back off of prior commitments once I've made them.

Skaffa77- have you played the Prairie Club- Dunes course? I saw that it's rated higher by Golf Digest this year and it's "semi-private." I also saw the stay and play package there is almost $500 cheaper. That might have to be my consolation trip instead. The other problem I have is I have season tickets to the Husker football games again so I'm running out of weekends to play golf before we see snow.

Callaway Epic Mini driver- 12.5* (Epic head, Mini Big Bertha shaft- Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 S)

[quote name='Ace Underhill' timestamp='1377104008' post='7719688']
Skaffa77- have you played the Prairie Club- Dunes course? I saw that it's rated higher by Golf Digest this year and it's "semi-private." I also saw the stay and play package there is almost $500 cheaper. That might have to be my consolation trip instead. The other problem I have is I have season tickets to the Husker football games again so I'm running out of weekends to play golf before we see snow.
[/quote]

Ironically, I just played Prairie Club this past weekend for the first time.

Their Pines course reminds me a lot of Wildhorse. Flatter fairways with some holes lined with pine trees. Greens on that course were pretty undulated almost to point of being goofy at times. Watching a putt just miss the edge of hill (after going over several other hills) and then rolling away 20 ft got a little old for my playing partners after 9 holes.

Their Dunes Course is very much the same type of feel as Dismal River. Some elevation changes (prairie/sand hills). Wide open, sloping fairways with prairie grass just off the first cut. Large, blown out bunkers...bunkers in the middle of the fairway...speed slots if you carry the right distance and correct side. Blind or more difficult 2nd shots if you play to the safer side of the fairway. Much like Dismal...you get more of an isolated, euphoric feeling that it's just you, the hills and golf.

Since Prairie Club is open to the public, there will be more people out there where at Dismal...there's a very limited number of golfers (it's a shock if you see more than a couple other carts on the course). We did the 1 night Stay and Play package at Prairie Club which was about $500 for the lodging (2 to a room) and unlimited golf. Food was similar in price as Dismal. We woke early for the drive on Day 1 and played 18 holes (Pines) that afternoon and their 10 hole Horse Course (Par 3 - all holes less than 120 yards) in the evening. Played 36 (Dunes) the next day and drove back home that evening (long drive back in the dark).

Accomidations at Prairie Club are top notch, but it's a little less exclusive feeling than Dismal. Not bad...just not nearly as exclusive...again more people, longer wait times for food, occassionally catching up to another group on the course. Example...the Jack Shack at Dismal was always a quick turnaround for lunch. This past weekend at Prairie Club...our round took longer than expected (partially bad planning, partially we waited a couple times for the group ahead of us)and we had to push our afternoon tee time back about 30 minutes so we would have time for lunch. With the pushed back tee time, we had 50 minutes for quick lunch. After waiting for 40 minutes we were still had no food and finally had to ask for it to be boxed so we could make our time. Apparently the kitchen was backed up or something. It's not a big deal and doesn't diminish my experience, but...that wouldn't have (or at least never did) happened at Dismal.

I don't know if I would rate the Dunes Course higher than the Nicklaus course at Dismal River. Both have a similar feel and play very much the same. I have great memories at both and would love the opportunity to play either course again!

You are running out of time especially with Husker football starting next weekend...it might be a 2014 adventure if you decide to skip Dismal this year.

[quote name='Skaffa77' timestamp='1377107255' post='7720062']

[i]I don't know if I would rate the Dunes Course higher than the Nicklaus course at Dismal River[/i]. Both have a similar feel and play very much the same. I have great memories at both and would love the opportunity to play either course again!

[/quote]

I questioned this too. I didn't know the reasoning of Golf Digest but they must of found something better in the Dunes course. I've also golfed Firethorn this year. A friend is a member and is trying to get me to join but I like playing a different courses each week around eastern NE. Plus I can golf there pretty much anytime I want with him for $75. Not bad for that course. The only drawback I had there is its a tough course and I think if I were to join there I would always be frustrated.

I see you're in Omaha, any recommendations on what to play up there? Closest I've come is Tiburon in Gretna which I've played a couple times this summer. Not a bad course and cheap.

Remember that Dismal River now has two courses. The Doak course is amazing. You should go and play all that you can at Dismal I played the Jack course last summer and toured the Doak course. The lodging, food and atmosphere are amazing. You will certainly have a great time if you decide to go. It is worth the money to play the courses once, but maybe not an every year trip. Prairie Dunes and Pines will still be an options next year, where as Dismal may not.

[quote name='Ace Underhill' timestamp='1377116557' post='7720940']
[quote name='Skaffa77' timestamp='1377107255' post='7720062']
[i]I don't know if I would rate the Dunes Course higher than the Nicklaus course at Dismal River[/i]. Both have a similar feel and play very much the same. I have great memories at both and would love the opportunity to play either course again!

[/quote]

I questioned this too. I didn't know the reasoning of Golf Digest but they must of found something better in the Dunes course. I've also golfed Firethorn this year. A friend is a member and is trying to get me to join but I like playing a different courses each week around eastern NE. Plus I can golf there pretty much anytime I want with him for $75. Not bad for that course. The only drawback I had there is its a tough course and I think if I were to join there I would always be frustrated.

I see you're in Omaha, any recommendations on what to play up there? Closest I've come is Tiburon in Gretna which I've played a couple times this summer. Not a bad course and cheap.
[/quote]

Tiburon is ok...not my favorite. Decent layout, but prone to overbooking and slow play. Obviously Quarry Oaks will be my first recommendation, but I'm guessing you've played it.

Others in Omaha with a good layout and fair pricing:

Indian Creek - Three 9 nines. Solid course and fairly reasonable pricing.
Johnny Goodman - $27 to walk 18...great course for a muni. Most played course in NE.
Willow Lakes - A military course open to the public...only Robert Trent Jones course in NE...it won't "wow" you, but the more you play it, the more you appreciate the way it was design and how subtle it's design is...

There are others which are a bit lower on the totem pole...but another good track if you are willing to drive to the east side of Council Bluffs is Bent Tree. More of a links style course with tall grass and rolling hills.

Back on topic:
Go to Dismal. It's an awesome place. The new course is also open
Let your wife know it's expensive, but it's work related. Hopefully he will pick up meals. They request the member covers all food bills.

Matt

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Play Dismal. You will end up kicking yourself if you don't. Then go play the Prairie Club. I have talked to a 4-5 people who have played both and all have said the Prairie Club was better. Better golf and better experience overall. Based on the cost, if given the option, I would go back to the Prairie Club. I have played it several times and never had a bad experience. Good luck either way.

[color=#222222]OK. I hope some of you have a couch I can sleep on for the foreseeable future. I was hoping Jason Aldean contracts a throat disease and then I don't have to look like the bad guy :) [/color]

[color=#222222]I am planning on doing the stay & play package at Priairie Club in mid September now too. [/color]

[color=#222222]Thanks[/color]

[quote name='Ace Underhill' timestamp='1377202148' post='7727162']
[color=#222222]OK. I hope some of you have a couch I can sleep on for the foreseeable future. I was hoping Jason Aldean contracts a throat disease and then I don't have to look like the bad guy :) [/color]

[color=#222222]I am planning on doing the stay & play package at Priairie Club in mid September now too. [/color]

[color=#222222]Thanks[/color]
[/quote]

So you were worried about your wife's reaction to Dismal and you'll now add Prairie Club on top of it! You will need a friend's couch!

I went on the Dismal River website and thought I saw something that you could have your local pro write a letter to them for recommendation to play. I don't belong to anywhere yet but looking at joining Firethorn next year. They have a good deal for 30-34 age range.

Also- at Dismal, does anyone know the $205/$245 fees, is that for unlimited golf for that day or just 1 round?

Thanks

[quote name='Ace Underhill' timestamp='1377284517' post='7733047']
I went on the Dismal River website and thought I saw something that you could have your local pro write a letter to them for recommendation to play. I don't belong to anywhere yet but looking at joining Firethorn next year. They have a good deal for 30-34 age range.

Also- at Dismal, does anyone know the $205/$245 fees, is that for unlimited golf for that day or just 1 round?

Thanks
[/quote]

I'm not 100% sure, but I did find a reciept from 2011. They charged me $237.38 for a single day and I know we played 36 holes. It would appear to be the charge for the entire day...but again, I don't want to give you the wrong expectations.

[quote name='Ace Underhill' timestamp='1377284517' post='7733047']

Thanks
[/quote]

It's as much golf as you can play. Must be set up in advance with the director of golf.
You can write a personal letter, depending on member's attendance when you request you will be allowed to golf.
Matt

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

[quote name='feedlotdoc' timestamp='1377177544' post='7724666']
Play Dismal. You will end up kicking yourself if you don't. Then go play the Prairie Club. I have talked to a 4-5 people who have played both and all have said the Prairie Club was better. Better golf and better experience overall. Based on the cost, if given the option, I would go back to the Prairie Club. I have played it several times and never had a bad experience. Good luck either way.
[/quote]

Not true, IMO. The Pines course at Prairie is a average course that does not do the property justice. The experience at Dismal is far better and the staff is also far better and the food is far better. Plus the accommodations are much more of an experience at Dismal. Don't get me wrong, Prairie is great - I am by no means putting it down....but the 2 courses at Dismal and the experience was way better.