2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Random conversation thread

Ok here's my random conversation topic: names on staff bags. I finally got a staff bag from the thrift store, and originally I was going to cheaply, for only $8, embroider my name on it for fun just to keep in the garage. But now I'm thinking maybe a fake/fictitious name would be funnier than my own. Maybe a character from Happy Gilmore or Caddyshack. The first idea was Shooter McGavin, and then I thought, what about the Mystery Science Theater 3000 nicknames for Dave Ryder, like Gristle McThornbody:

http://mst3k.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Nicknames_for_Dave_Ryder

Something to make me or others on the course laugh, as names on bags are typically reserved for the pro-only folks.

So, am I on the right track? Any name recommendations?

It has to be a name that someone would recognize, or else the fun disappears.

Shooter McGavin or Happy Gilmore are both good ones, as is Roy McAvoy, though it's a bit more obscure.

Or go full Caddyshack, and go with Judge Smalls, Danny Noonan, Ty Webb, Al Czervik, or Carl Spackler with "Cinderella Story" embroidered in smaller italic letters underneath.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I think that Shooter McGavin has to be the winner; may as well go with the ultimate egotist when it comes to a staff bag if the objective is a garner a few laughs!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Ok here's my random conversation topic: names on staff bags. I finally got a staff bag from the thrift store, and originally I was going to cheaply, for only $8, embroider my name on it for fun just to keep in the garage. But now I'm thinking maybe a fake/fictitious name would be funnier than my own. Maybe a character from Happy Gilmore or Caddyshack. The first idea was Shooter McGavin, and then I thought, what about the Mystery Science Theater 3000 nicknames for Dave Ryder, like Gristle McThornbody:

http://mst3k.wikia.c..._for_Dave_Ryder

Something to make me or others on the course laugh, as names on bags are typically reserved for the pro-only folks.

Who's your favorite female golfer?

Talent is the desire to practice

As I tied my tie this morning, I would have preferred to leave it off, just my mood today.

A thought occurred to me though, that if a man has the opportunity to wear a tie he should, and if he as the opportunity to go without a tie, he should as well.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Have a few Panels embroidered that you can change at will using velcro. slightly Un-PC. How about "Stevie Wonder Putting Award Winner" Or "Dress Like Bob Charles: but Play like Ray...

Bozo's Circus might work.

As I tied my tie this morning, I would have preferred to leave it off, just my mood today.

A thought occurred to me though, that if a man has the opportunity to wear a tie he should, and if he as the opportunity to go without a tie, he should as well.

Agreed. True, mood should dictate fashion, unless maybe you're in the military. I wear a lot of ties when it's winter and lose them almost entirely in the summer. I live in Utah currently and those seasons are radically different when compared to my home town of Santa Barbara (won't catch me wearing wool ties there ever). Perhaps its fun to golf in the colder areas before everything becomes frozen so you can wear more formal attire, something that will never happen in 100F heat.

There's also the unwritten rule of formal/old-timey accessories, where two or more can lead to your outfit becoming a period piece costume (think Harris Tweed jacket, wool tie and wool hat. So in the summer, I'll wear a straw porkpie and lose the bow tie typically so I can breathe and I don't go full Orville Redenbacher (never go full Redenbacher).

I'd go with "Tiger Woods."

We used to have a member of our club who had his bag embroidered with 4 stars (****). Said it was the only word that had any relation to his game.

My current game would warrant 4 asterisks, *driving, *irons, *short game, and especially *putting, lol.

Callaway Razr Fit 11.5*   Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 65R

Ping G5 13.5*                  Aerotech Power Coil 50S                        

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider copper cobalt 35"

I'm not sure I'd go through with it, but I'd be tempted to have "Dalai Lama" as the name on the bag. Or, maybe "gunga lagunga"

Big hitter, the Lama...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I think I would go with one of the ultimate, NON-POLITICALLY CORRECT quotes from CADDYSHACK, either "RAT FARTS!" or "...COLORED BOY?..."

Ha, rat farts! Right. That whole movie is a boatload of political incorrectness. If you want to maximize un-PC, you could do:

AMERICAN FLAG

SPAULDING

S M A I L S

"I got it from a negro" IN CURSIVE

Personally, I think he's more known for:

"DOODIE"

and

"I want a hamburger. No, a cheeseburger."

I think I would go with one of the ultimate, NON-POLITICALLY CORRECT quotes from CADDYSHACK, either "RAT FARTS!" or "...COLORED BOY?..."

Ha, rat farts! Right. That whole movie is a boatload of political incorrectness. If you want to maximize un-PC, you could do:

AMERICAN FLAG

SPAULDING

S M A I L S

"DOODIE"

and

I really like the idea of "Spaulding Smails" being the name on the bag. But, I think then the phrase that should be below it in cursive is:

"you'll get nothing and like it"

:)

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

AMERICAN FLAG

SPAULDING

S M A I L S

"DOODIE"

and

I really like the idea of "Spaulding Smails" being the name on the bag. But, I think then the phrase that should be below it in cursive is:

I like the Spaulding Smails name and the quote idea. How about it saying:

"No, I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis"

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

AMERICAN FLAG

SPAULDING

S M A I L S

"DOODIE"

and

You could also go with Mr Havercamp, the obvious problem being not knowing his first name. The cursive text below the name would have to be: "That's a peach, Hon!"

edited to add alternative cursive idea: "Oh, by golly, I'm hot today!"

You could also go with Mr Havercamp, the obvious problem being not knowing his first name. The cursive text below the name would have to be: "That's a peach, Hon!"

Now that would be ideal for "my" staff bag! I don't have the bag yet, but I'll try and keep that in mind if no one else claims it in the meantime. Good imagination NRJyzr! :good:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

You're very kind, Sco. FWIW, I threw an alternative in there while you were typing.

I was looking on the intarwebs, trying to find the Havercamps first names. From what I'm seeing, it would appear they were played by a married couple, or so it appears by the actor's names (Kenneth and Rebecca Burritt). These were listed as their only roles.

So you could go with Kenneth Havercamp as the name. It's as good as any. :)

I just had another thought, completely different train from the previous.

I think something from Mad Max Fury Road would be outstanding. :pimp:

The name could be Immortan Joe, with cursive below it saying "You shall ride eternal, shiny and chrome"

You could use "War Boy" as the name, cursive saying "I am Awaited! Witness me!"

Obviously, those don't won't sing to you if you've not seen the movie. For those of you who have, I recommend reading the reviews on Amazon for Wilton Silver Mist Spray. Lovely. :)

Then, there are a metric ton of options if you wanted to use the Princess Bride as your source material... Having "Dread Pirate Roberts" or "Inigo Montoya" as the name on the bag would be amazing, and the quote possibility is endless....

You're very kind, Sco. FWIW, I threw an alternative in there while you were typing.

I was looking on the intarwebs, trying to find the Havercamps first names. From what I'm seeing, it would appear they were played by a married couple, or so it appears by the actor's names (Kenneth and Rebecca Burritt). These were listed as their only roles.

So you could go with Kenneth Havercamp as the name. It's as good as any. :)

No, I think Mr. Havercamp wins the day with your original quote of "That's a peach, Hon!" If the tifosi can't figure it out then they will never understand why the bag is full of classic clubs from that time period. ;)

[Added] Why stop at one bag? This calls for a matched set of Mr. & Mrs. Havercamp staff bags! All I need now is the suitable quote from the Mrs. :good:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I wonder if Mrs Havercamp gets "that's a peach" and Mr Havercamp gets "by golly I'm hot today"?