Random conversation thread

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1385900032' post='8232170']
What an epic day for college football Americana that is too you guys across the pond. If you are a sports nut it didn't get any better action wise. My two dogs in the hunt came out on top. Gamecocks, sorry JB, and [b]Mizzou[/b].
[/quote]

I'm a Mizzou alum, BS '89. I grew up in Columbia and still have family there. Have been a fan since the mid '70s and this has easily been the best season I've witnessed. So you have Missouri ties, OSR?

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1385924073' post='8233188']
That's a big YES. Born and raised in the bootheel. Have a lot of friends that went to Mizzuo during the 70's.
[/quote]

Excellent! My paternal grandparents lived for many years near Fairdealing, MO, southwest a bit from Poplar Bluff.

Great name for a town, btw.

I took a motorcycle trip thru there about ten years ago, beautiful area.

Ironic you mention Poplar Bluff. I am originally from Kennett. Had some cousins in PB and the chiropractor I use here in SC is from Bluff. I still get back every couple of years. If it didn't get so dang cold and have that funny white stuff on the ground in the winter we would think of moving back when we retire.

Kennett, home of Sheryl Crow, another Missouri Tiger!

If I'm not mistaken, she, Brad Pitt, and myself were all there at the same time. Unfortunately that's where the similarities end, I'm afraid. I must have missed out on the class that teaches you how to be fabulously talented, wealthy, and attractive.

...I knew those accounting classes were a waste of time.

I felt bad for Ol Pardner on Saturday.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1385988980' post='8236034']
I felt bad for Ol Pardner on Saturday.
[/quote]

Lifetime bummer to be in a game won by, arguably, the most fantastic game-ending play in football history....and be on the losing team. The play becomes part of football lore and, years later, Alabama becomes a footnote to the event. Sad because it dilutes the brilliant 3-year run by the Tide. Almost a national Championship hat trick. Some sympathy for Ol Pards, but not too much. They've had a great run.
In case y'all don't know it, Alabama/Auburn rivalry is...well, rivalry is a little too peaceful to describe it. Take the blood feud of the Hatfields and McCoys, put it on steroids, and maybe some meth and LSD. They hate each other more than Jefferson Davis hated generals Grant and Sherman. Dis inheritance is a word heard when discussions come up about alums' kids wanting to attend the opposing university.
Tuscaloosa will be a scary place for residents who were or are vocal about their support of the War Eagles. You think Black Friday shopping was ugly? I would hate to think what might happen to a parked car with an Auburn bumper sticker or window decal. As a matter of history, 'Bama teams and fans gave never been very good losers. Fact is, they haven't had much practice at it. I think Bear Bryant may have said something to the effect that, " if youre a good loser, you arent really any good.". Of course, they've never been very good winners either.
Being from an area a couple hours east of Chicago, I am quite familiar an institution of higher education that has also had a long tradition of football success
. They, too, are not known to be good losers or good winners. As recently as last January, afore mentioned Crimson Tide tutored them in fundamental ,
Smash-mouth football. It could be said that 'Bama opened a can of Whup-a** on them. But of course, we Hoosiers all know that all this Autumn frolicking
Is just a warm up for the real sport.

Ah Bob,
Let it be known now that my heart in round ball is all blue. Big Blue that is. Go Cats!!!! Before I could marry my wife my prospective father-in- law had a talk with me and told me if I were coming into the family there were two things I had to learn. One, the only thing of any importance in Louisville is the Derby, and the only real basketball played in the state is centered in Lexington.

Yes Bob,

You highlight a rivalry that has taken some ugly turns over the past few years.

I think the poisoning of the Toomer Oaks was as low as it's gotten. Seems like everyone's pulled back a little bit after that.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1386077117' post='8241452']
Ah Bob,
Let it be known now that my heart in round ball is all blue. Big Blue that is. Go Cats!!!! Before I could marry my wife my prospective father-in- law had a talk with me and told me if I were coming into the family there were two things I had to learn. One, the only thing of any importance in Louisville is the Derby, and the only real basketball played in the state is centered in Lexington.
[/quote]

Randy,
Those upstart Cardinals in Louisville would argue the point. Purely random events, their championships. But you cannot argue the Wildcats basketball success. At IU there is huge batting average for keeping player-athletes (or as they say in Lexington, "afaletes") in college for four years. Although the one-and-out program has proven to be a workable plan for KY, it has a tendency to rankle the hackles of traditional, un enlightened advocates of higher education for its
Own sake. On the plus side, it allows young men to add three years to their outrageous NBA careers. And it saves the university three years of continuing to provide a "scholarship" to a non-scholar. Bring in a new crop of wunderkinds who can't stand up to the scrutiny of grade point requirements and academic pressures. Then they can be gone next year. A total score of 650 isn't really too bad on the SAT, is it?
The realities are that the major sports at the D3 schools are big business. They generate huge ticket , tv, and merchandise revenue for the universities.
Alumni won't tolerate losers. Some skirts are much dirtier than others. But they are all whoring these kids for the almighty $$. So, why even put up the charade? Bring the kids in and put them on a salary with performance bonuses. That's how the coaches get paid.

Bob,
I remember a day at The horse track many years ago when I was placing a bet and this giant shadow was cast over me. Turning around I was nose to belt buckle it seemed with the then twin towers of Bowie and Turpin. I often wonder whose dollars they were gambling with. My all time favorite UK team is the one with the boys that stayed behind after the Eddie Sutton debacle.

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1386100030' post='8243154']
[size=5]The mention of prospective father-in-laws reminds me of an interview I had with one dad who wanted to have a serious chat with me about his daughter.[/size]
[size=5]"Did you know she has acute angina?".[/size]
[size=5]"Yes" I replied "and her t**** aren't bad either."[/size]
[/quote]

Tried to take a comely youngr lady home many years ago. Finally, on our way to the door, she volunteered, "I must tell you now that I am on my menstruel Cycle." "Cool", I replied. "I'm riding a Harley."

Then, of course, there is the badly pulled three foot putt. Thurman Munson. A dead yank.

Some of that could be lost on you, Okessa, due to Geography. Perhaps Dwight Eisenhower might work better across the pond. Or Payne Stewart, if I wanted to be terribly irreverent .
Kind of. Goes with your Adolf Hitler call a few weeks ago. 2shots in the bunker.

[size=5]Or a 'John Wayne'...a big yank to the right....[/size]
[size=5]'Gynaecologists assistant'...just shaved the hole....[/size]

[size=5]Payne Stewart was someone I loved watching and still watch on Youtube and dvd,always immaculate,a wonderful swing and came across as a great guy,what a tragic loss that was,one of my all-time favourites I really wouldn't have minded if he'd won the Open when he made such a great run for the Claret Jug in 1990.[/size]

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1386238904' post='8251563']
[size=5]Or a 'John Wayne'...a big yank to the right....[/size]
[size=5]'Gynaecologists assistant'...just shaved the hole....[/size]

[size=5]Payne Stewart was someone I loved watching and still watch on Youtube and dvd,always immaculate,a wonderful swing and came across as a great guy,what a tragic loss that was,one of my all-time favourites I really wouldn't have minded if he'd won the Open when he made such a great run for the Claret Jug in 1990.[/size]
[/quote]

I agree. That's why I was reluctant to suggest Payne. Great player and all-round stand-up guy. Ironically, he and Thurman Munson both died in tragic crashes of their jets. Munson, all star catcher for the New York Yankees, augered his into the side of a hill in Akron Ohio shortly after take-off back in the 1970's. Purely a lack of experience piloting the aircraft.

Gynecologist's assistant? love it

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1386184827' post='8248271']
[size=5]I thought it was already called a 'Clinton'.....and it wasn't when he told Monica that the cheque was in the post.[/size]

[size=5]Hilary looks the type to have done a Bobbit job on him using rusty nail scissors.[/size]
[/quote]

A chap here in town who is af the alternative lifestyle pursuation once told me that if the first woman I ever had experience with happened to be Hillary Clinton, or her ilk, that I would probably be as gay as he was.

I hate winter. Some drivers to try, some new golf balls to try (Z-Star SL, Nike 20X1-S), and there's a shat load of snow on the ground. Today's high? -24*C, in the -40*C range with wind chill.

For my US friends, that translates to -11*F, with wind chills taking it down to -40*F.

That is all.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1386800538' post='8285253']
I hate winter. Some drivers to try, some new golf balls to try (Z-Star SL, Nike 20X1-S), and there's a shat load of snow on the ground. Today's high? -24*C, in the -40*C range with wind chill.

For my US friends, that translates to -11*F, with wind chills taking it down to -40*F.

That is all.
[/quote]

Ugh. Have you got a basement with space/height for a hitting net?

Well Holden, I live in a 1930s house with low basement ceilings (6'2" or so) which is fine for living, but poor for golfing.

OSR, I think I'm going to plan a visit to you next year.

Actually been thinking we should plan a "Classic Golfers" meet up in 2014. Not sure if Okesa and B-S will join us, but thinking that meeting somewhere like Prof Smitty's around KC might be central enough for all of us.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[size=5]Aaaaah!I nearly fell for it!I started thinking what a kind thought that was then realised that once there you would all gang up and start picking on us like you did before in 177....something....LOL[/size]
[size=5]Being the decent sort of chap that I am,I wouldn't wish my company on you fine fellers,you're far too nice a bunch to have to put up with a miserable old bugger like me,but if you do have a meeting I'd like to see the photo's![/size]
[size=5]Coincidentally,I was thinking about you the other day Scooter,your weather would definitely have me reaching for the shotgun with the large trigger guard that will accommodate a big toe,I think you do well to preserve your sanity (well,you know,what passes for it).[/size]
[size=5]Rather annoyed with these Golfwrx johnnies at the moment,my posts are not being posted,censorship is in action and the thought-Nazis have taken control.[/size]
[size=5]Simply because I disagreed (fairly strongly) with the joker who creates articles out of statistics,his latest blinding piece of utter nonsense concerns the selection of driver over 3-wood on tight par 4's,Birly-Shirly was very PC (for a Scotsman) and described it as 'thought provoking' which I consider a very polite and charitable description of the work by Rich Hunt (would do better if he changed his name to Mike).[/size]
[size=5]There appears to be a receptive audience for this kind of thing and I have to laugh at the guys who tell him how the use of statistics has changed their games,they're like those kids at school who want to be noticed"Please sir,me sir,please sir,me,I know the answer sir",arms almost dislocated in their eagerness to be first.[/size]
[size=5]The data used was from Tour pro's playing on courses set up for Tour events.Now what possible use or relevance does that have for me or any other average golfer,other than those wannabees who,if it were not for the fact that they can't break 80 would be on the Tour battling with Tiger every week.[/size]
[size=5]The same guy also 'proved' that Sergio Garcia was an overrated ballstriker based on statistics of his choosing,my point to him (which remains unanswered) is that his data tells where the ball finished and not how well or badly it was struck,that information can only be gathered from a Trackman or similar,so another flawed premise.[/size]
[size=5]I remain convinced of the truth in the statement;"There are lies,damned lies and statistics".[/size]
[size=5]Rant over; my warmest and most sincere best wishes to you all for the Festive Season and thanks for your company this year,Thanksgiving,Xmas,Hogmanay whatever you celebrate ENJOY!!!![/size]