The NBA basketball thread 2013-2014

MtlJeff

I agree that the 3 best teams in the NBA are in the east. I would take Indiana/Miami/Chicago in a 7 game series right now over any other team in the NBA

San Antonio is close

Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose picked Indiana 4th with SA 3rd. But essentially, yeah...the east has 3 of the top 4

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1383025266' post='8072407']
East is top heavy butt he west isso deep it's crazy. Teams like Minnesota might miss the playoffs, I think that's insane. Outside of Miami, Indiana, and Chicago I still think the spurs are the best team in the west. Other teams have better players but they're still the best team, if they get a good year from Manu I think they're really tough to beat.

Something interesting I heard Stephen A. Smith say the other day, he thinks if Granger gets off to a good start they should move him for a point guard. Not sure who they would go after but that's an interesting idea.
[/quote]

I think they need a perimeter scorer/creater off the bench. Best case scenario that is Granger himself. If not his expiring contract becomes valuable and you move it for someone. I'm going to continue this thought in the next one down

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

^^^^^

so yeah, to me the most intriguing guy in the NBA is Aaron Afflalo. He has absolutely zero business playing in Orlando this year. He is one of the best 7-8 shooting guards in the NBA, is on a very reasonable contract, can shoot high 30's from 3 and play very good defense while giving you 15 a game.

Orlando i have to think would trade him for future assets, as he helps them win (which is not what they want this year) and isn't part of their rebuilding plan. I think some team is going to snag him this year and it will make a big impact on whoever does. He is super underrated. Both OKC and Indiana would be prime locations. I mentioned the Afflalo/big baby package earlier in the thread for OKC...but Indiana would be a fantastic location for him too. Granger's expiring contract would help Orlando float through this season, and then they'd get major cap space along with a high draft pick in a loaded draft

look for Afflalo to be moved, and he is really good.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

hmmm, i'll be in Texas in December. I'll try and set up a meeting with the cubes!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='TheGameChanger' timestamp='1383101160' post='8076929']
[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1383101002' post='8076923']
Last play of the Bulls game, Rose gets double teamed, Deng misses wide open three. Seems like that's how the whole game went. Bulls need to get those shooters going.
[/quote]

Early Foul Trouble for Deng and Buter was a huge problem.
[/quote]
Yeah if they were in there it would've been a different game, but Bulls shooters were ice cold.

[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1383101450' post='8076953']
[quote name='TheGameChanger' timestamp='1383101160' post='8076929']
[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1383101002' post='8076923']
Last play of the Bulls game, Rose gets double teamed, Deng misses wide open three. Seems like that's how the whole game went. Bulls need to get those shooters going.
[/quote]

Early Foul Trouble for Deng and Buter was a huge problem.
[/quote]
Yeah if they were in there it would've been a different game, but Bulls shooters were ice cold.
[/quote]
Agreed. They'll get better.

Wow, an NBA thread. Never been in this side of the website before. Skimmed everyone's thoughts/responses thus far - like a lot of it. I'm an NBA junkie - I played in the MAC in college and there are still quite a few guys in the league I played against in college. Some of the trade thoughts were good - but I think a lot of people don't understand how the cap works from a financial perspective in making trades (which is why you see a lot of 3 team trades these days). If you go to the NBA Trade Machine (Simmons special) you can see how all that plays out.

Wouldn't put too much emphasis on last nights games, and this is coming from a Lakers fan. That wasn't the Chicago team you'll see 3 weeks from now, I guarantee you that.

My prediction is a Warriors vs. Pacers Final.

Anyone besides me have the League Pass?

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1383144541' post='8078354']
Wow, an NBA thread. Never been in this side of the website before. Skimmed everyone's thoughts/responses thus far - like a lot of it. I'm an NBA junkie - I played in the MAC in college and there are still quite a few guys in the league I played against in college. Some of the trade thoughts were good - but I think a lot of people don't understand how the cap works from a financial perspective in making trades (which is why you see a lot of 3 team trades these days). If you go to the NBA Trade Machine (Simmons special) you can see how all that plays out.

Wouldn't put too much emphasis on last nights games, and this is coming from a Lakers fan. That wasn't the Chicago team you'll see 3 weeks from now, I guarantee you that.

[/quote]

You will be surprised with some of the knowledge and understanding of the salary cap from some member here. Especially from Jeff, he is the SME of the NBA for WRX.

Yeah I think we all agree that the Lakers won't have too many games where their bench plays the entire fourth quarter and scores 76 points. Honestly as a Laker fan I want to be hanging banners, but I would take last nights hustle and team play over last years hand throwing and jogging. Watching Farmar return was my favorite part of last nights game, it's fun to watch guys that want to be Lakers.

Remember last year when the Knicks came out on fire and routed the Heat twice in the opening month of something?

I had the league pass for much of my adult life and then dropped it after my first year of marriage.

The Bulls have the same issue they have had for years, lack of offense.

Rose still has only out of control, contorted body layups to rely on for scoring.

It will be another mediocre, slightly above average at best season for the Bulls resulting in either another early exit or beatdown at the hands of Miami.

I'm not big on the Clippers either. They still have the same (for the most part) pieces from last year and those pieces seem to never improve in the offseason.

[quote name='CourtJester' timestamp='1383154371' post='8079154']

Rose still has only out of control, contorted body layups to rely on for scoring.

It will be another mediocre, slightly above average at best season for the Bulls resulting in either another early exit or beatdown at the hands of Miami.

I'm not big on the Clippers either. [b] They still have the same (for the most part) pieces from last year and those pieces seem to never improve in the offseason.[/b]
[/quote]

I agree with the portion in bold. Blake has to be so frustrating to real Clipper fans that want to see their team win and go deep into the playoffs. The guy has arguably the most talent in the NBA, an ideal body type, and he just does not improve at the post.

Are you taking the Heat?

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1383154784' post='8079174']

I'm not big on the Clippers either. [b] They still have the same (for the most part) pieces from last year and those pieces seem to never improve in the offseason.[/b]
[/quote]

I agree with the portion in bold. Blake has to be so frustrating to real Clipper fans that want to see their team win and go deep into the playoffs. The guy has arguably the most talent in the NBA, an ideal body type, and he just does not improve at the post.

Are you taking the Heat?
[/quote]

Griffin is the modern day Shawn Kemp (or Dwight Howard if that's more familiar).

He'll coast his entire career on his athleticism and never improve his weaknesses.

I'm taking the Heat to win it all, again. When they are on point they simply have too much.

The thing with the Heat that really separates them is how unselfish the entire team is. LeBron's willingness to share has spread throughout the entire team and they all will do whatever is necessary. No big man, just the best player on earth, a ton of great shooting vets that will spread the floor, and move the ball. Then when the came is close they have Mike Tyson KO power that nobody else has. Close game for 35 minutes and then BOOM 15-2 run, game over.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1383157557' post='8079440']
The thing with the Heat that really separates them is how unselfish the entire team is. LeBron's willingness to share has spread throughout the entire team and they all will do whatever is necessary. No big man, just the best player on earth, a ton of great shooting vets that will spread the floor, and move the ball. Then when the came is close they have Mike Tyson KO power that nobody else has. Close game for 35 minutes and then BOOM 15-2 run, game over.
[/quote]

I think the Warriors may have KO power unlike anyone in the league. The Heat rely on defense to create their easy buckets to go on their 15-2 runs. And the Warriors this year are a team that can truly be a strong defensive team, with a bevy of perimeter guys that can defend on the ball and get steals from playing the passing lanes. Plus, inside Bogut (if healthy) is a guy who makes scoring in the paint difficult. So the Warriors have the ability to play shut down defense, that can lead to easy scoring opportunities; plus the ability to score against any type of defense - as they are the best outside shooting team in the game. And the addition of Iguodala will pay obvious dividends defensively, but adding his ball handling to their offense will shore up their biggest liability (which was a legitimate ball handler).
I think we can anticipate seeing the Warriors going on a lot of spurts this year to win games.

This thread couldn't [i]really [/i]start until courtjester showed up!!!!!

It's hard to pick against the Heat i agree. Back to back champs.

I do really like the Pacers though

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1383144541' post='8078354']

[/quote]

every trade i've suggested in this thread has been run through the trade machine! I love that thing. LOL

Nice to have another basketball nut in the forums. I also picked Warriors/Pacers on the first page. Great call! I think the dubs and Pacers are both scary good postseason teams, albeit for somewhat different reasons

I also played in college (though in Canada) and i have the NBA network and sportsnet (a canadian network) so i get 1-2 games a night, at least

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I still like the Bulls. What they do defensively is outstanding, I think the offense with Rose is something that can be figured out, but the defense is already there. Rose got double teamed all night and they just weren't making open shots. I think the Bulls or Pacers can both give Miami a really good series, Hibbert just flat out dominated them last year. Imagine how good Miami will be if Oden can give them some solid minutes though.

Lakers looked really good last night for a team that is supposed to finish 12th in the west. Can't expect 76 off the bench every night but man that was some show, and Pau looked the best he has in a while. And how about Jordan Farmar, he's going to be really important this year if Nash is going to have his minutes limited to 30ish a game.

[quote name='F171615' timestamp='1383159653' post='8079576']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1383157557' post='8079440']
[/quote]

I think the Warriors may have KO power unlike anyone in the league. The Heat rely on defense to create their easy buckets to go on their 15-2 runs. And the Warriors this year are a team that can truly be a strong defensive team, with a bevy of perimeter guys that can defend on the ball and get steals from playing the passing lanes. Plus, inside Bogut (if healthy) is a guy who makes scoring in the paint difficult. So the Warriors have the ability to play shut down defense, that can lead to easy scoring opportunities; plus the ability to score against any type of defense - as they are the best outside shooting team in the game. And the addition of Iguodala will pay obvious dividends defensively, but adding his ball handling to their offense will shore up their biggest liability (which was a legitimate ball handler).
I think we can anticipate seeing the Warriors going on a lot of spurts this year to win games.
[/quote]

I think i said it on a previous page, but the Warriors Curry-Thompson-Iguodala-Barnes-Bogut lineup is a very sneaky good 2 way lineup. Bogut's health is critical for them. He is a top 6-7 defensive center. That lineup can score a lot and defend fairly well, plus they have a legitimate superstar

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1383171504' post='8080378']
I still like the Bulls. What they do defensively is outstanding, I think the offense with Rose is something that can be figured out, but the defense is already there. Rose got double teamed all night and they just weren't making open shots. I think the Bulls or Pacers can both give Miami a really good series, Hibbert just flat out dominated them last year. Imagine how good Miami will be if Oden can give them some solid minutes though.

Lakers looked really good last night for a team that is supposed to finish 12th in the west. Can't expect 76 off the bench every night but man that was some show, and Pau looked the best he has in a while. And how about Jordan Farmar, he's going to be really important this year if Nash is going to have his minutes limited to 30ish a game.
[/quote]

Hibbert is an absolute monster, on Grantland they showed a picture of him the other day standing close to Tim Duncan in a casual off the court pic. He makes Tim Duncan look like a guard LOL.....Hibbert is HUGE

Zach Lowe (probably the most knowledgeable basketball writer in the world) picked him for DPOY in 2014

Frank Vogel said last year that Paul George was the best defensive player on the Pacers

so .....yeah.....the Pacers can play defense

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I'm not big on the Clippers either. They still have the same (for the most part) pieces from last year and those pieces seem to never improve in the offseason.
[/quote]

Another mediocre season? I'm not sure what you mean by that. They won 60 games, 50 (lockout year) and then won 45 last year with no Rose and a hurt Noah. Rose does have a jumper albeit not an elite one. He was statistically average from beyond the arc in his MVP season. That doesnt mean the only way he can score is by taking it to the rim. You'll see a very different Derrick Rose this year once he knocks the rust off. People soon forget how great he was in that 2011 season.

I'm not one for making predictions because no one knows, like Chuck says. But to put Rose in place as a basketball player like that seriously undermines his game.

I think the simple reason I didn't pick the Heat is that it's really really hard to three peat. They have played so many games the past two years and are one of the oldest teams in the league. They faced like 5 elimination games in there back to back run...not exactly the Bulls, Lakers, celtics 3 peat teams we are talking about here. I don't think they'll get much from Oden or Beasly this year. DWade is already taking the second night of this back to back off to rest. I'm sure for future planning reasons, but the second game!?

Rose has significantly improved his jumper from what I've seen in the preseason. I think the Bulls will get it together offensively and they are already incredibly good defensively.

While it is really hard to threepeat I don't like people using that as the reason why they won't win it all this year. I don't think they will win this year but there are so many more reasons than that. You're talking about having to beat 2 of these teams in a 7 game series to get to the finals(Chicago, Brooklyn, Knicks, Pacers), and then having to beat any one of the 5-6 teams that potentially can come out of the west(OKC, Spurs, Clippers, Memphis, Warriors, Houston). I don't see them being able to win all three of those series. They'll breeze through the first round, but I don't think they can beat Chicago and Indiana in back-to-back series.

^^^^ that's the thing, they've played 4 seasons in 3 given all the playoff games. They've been taken to elimination a few times.

the #1 seed is huge. Beating say , Pacers, Bulls, Spurs back to back to back

that will be hard, for anyone

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='xThor' timestamp='1383183300' post='8081342']
Wow. 76ers showed up tonight.
[/quote]

Michael Carter Williams had the fantasy line of the year on the second night of games

Ellis got off to a good start with my Mavs. 30 point debut with 9 assists, but he did have 7 TO's. I was impressed with his willingness to distribute the ball. Between him and Calderon, they accounted for 20 assists. If they can get Dirk open looks and continue to get Marion and Carter easy looks, Dallas could be a decent team in the West.

Friday should be fun in Houston.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1383172879' post='8080486']

[/quote]

Another mediocre season? I'm not sure what you mean by that. They won 60 games, 50 (lockout year) and then won 45 last year with no Rose and a hurt Noah. Rose does have a jumper albeit not an elite one. He was statistically average from beyond the arc in his MVP season. That doesnt mean the only way he can score is by taking it to the rim. You'll see a very different Derrick Rose this year once he knocks the rust off. People soon forget how great he was in that 2011 season.

I'm not one for making predictions because no one knows, like Chuck says. But to put Rose in place as a basketball player like that seriously undermines his game.

I think the simple reason I didn't pick the Heat is that it's really really hard to three peat. They have played so many games the past two years and are one of the oldest teams in the league. They faced like 5 elimination games in there back to back run...not exactly the Bulls, Lakers, celtics 3 peat teams we are talking about here. I don't think they'll get much from Oden or Beasly this year. DWade is already taking the second night of this back to back off to rest. I'm sure for future planning reasons, but the second game!?
[/quote]

With Rose back, I don't see the bulls having a "mediocre" season. They could very well win 55-60 game this year. Rose is just too athletic and will blow by most opponents. I think whether the Heat will 3-peat or not depends on their conference finals matchup. Will it be against the Bulls, or the Pacers. Matchup-wise, the Heat will have a better chance of reaching the Finals if they play the Bulls. The main reason why I think the Bulls struggle against the Heat, is simply because from a physical standpoint, Lebron James is a bigger version of Rose, or should I say Rose is a shorter version of Lebron James. Lebron is basically a 6'9"/260lb version of Derrick Rose. Rose can't shoot over him, because Lebron's too tall. Rose can't drive through him because Lebron's a brick wall.

The Heat as a team will be better this year. This is going to be their 4th year playing together with the same core. You can see it in the box score with the distribution of FG attempts. I remember the first year I would chuckle when looking at the box score cuz Lebron, Wade, and Bosh would take 70-75 of the teams FG attempts. You'll see 1or 2 FG attempts from the others.

I don't like the Clippers, never did. I wouldn't even say Blake Griffin is modern day Shawn Kemp. At least Shawn Kemp averaged 11 rebounds and almost 2 blocks a game, while shooting 74% from the free throw line. It's not just that Blake lacks offensive moves, but he can't rebound. If you're 6'10" and can jump out of the building, there is no excuse to why you can't grab 10 rebounds a game. As Charles Barkley said, what do you call a power forward who can't get 10 rebounds? A small forward.

Titleist TSi3, Diamana X Series 60x

Titleist TSi3 FW, Tensei Orange 70x

Titleist 690 MB, 3- Pw, DG x100

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter