The NBA basketball thread 2013-2014

MtlJeff

Rubio is a horrible shooter, no doubt about that, but he is really good at pretty much everything else. Love has been shooting it really well this year, basically lives on the 3 point line.

This is where I really wonder about the MVP award. How good does Minnesota have to be this year for Love to get serious consideration for MVP?

[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1384182327' post='8131092']
Rubio is a horrible shooter, no doubt about that, but he is really good at pretty much everything else. Love has been shooting it really well this year, basically lives on the 3 point line.

This is where I really wonder about the MVP award. How good does Minnesota have to be this year for Love to get serious consideration for MVP?
[/quote]

They have to be a legitimate top 2-3 seed in the West for him to enter the discussion. I would go as far as they'd have to be a 2 seed in the West.

The MVP should be renamed to the MOP - most outstanding player award.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1384140450' post='8129920']
Some slow starts in the East. If for some reason the next 72 games get cancelled the East playoff picture would be hilarious. It's only 6-7 games in but it's hard to imagine who the 5-8 seeds will be. I've watched every team in that group and none really stood out in any way. They are all very flawed on one side of the ball or both

OKC with another win. 4-0 since Russell is back though he is shooting like a blind person. After all the talk i actually think by season's end this team will be better then last year's team. Steven Adams looks capable defensively, he played a bit more then Perkins tonight and that will probably become more lopsided. Lamb and Jackson are combining for 18 points so far this season, which more then replaces Martin. I like Lamb from what i have seen. He looks confident

I've watched a couple of SAS games too. They are just awesome to watch if you are a basketball nerd. So much gets talked about in the offseason, but once play starts, they really look like they have not missed a beat

OKC, Indiana and SAS are the best teams of the first couple of weeks
[/quote]

You're talking about the Pacers going thru offensive lulls and how much you like Jeremy Lamb - you were right, you are most definitely an OKC homer lol

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1384096666' post='8127268']
I watched Indiana/Brooklyn yesterday. Came away thinking Indiana is a great team but is going to go through some dry spells this year, unless Danny Granger comes back and can create shots and score efficiently. Their offense is a lot of Paul George just doing things. They dump it to Hibbert and West a lot who are both average finishers. I like Hibbert a lot on defense, but he airballed 2 lefty hooks down the stretch. Paul George was 6/7 in the 4th quarter, basically all on midrange jumpshots or 3's. He was really good. But on nights his shot isn't falling it will be tough. They run pick and rolls for him but he mostly ends up breaking off and going 1 on 1. Defensively Indiana is amazing though, they had a few big blocks in 4th, and at one point George stripped D-Will and saved the ball at a crucial point

Brooklyn will be fine this year too. They'll go on a run and be a 50+ win team. They consistently got off much better shots then Indiana. They have so many experienced / savvy players who are generally unselfish. They can get off a quality shot every possesion
[/quote]

You're talking about the Pacers BK game? PG only took 3 shots that quarter (hit all 3). They have a pretty nice balanced attack on offense. I bet they had 5-6 different players score that quarter.

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1384203519' post='8132944']
I watched Indiana/Brooklyn yesterday. Came away thinking Indiana is a great team but is going to go through some dry spells this year, unless Danny Granger comes back and can create shots and score efficiently. Their offense is a lot of Paul George just doing things. They dump it to Hibbert and West a lot who are both average finishers. I like Hibbert a lot on defense, but he airballed 2 lefty hooks down the stretch. Paul George was 6/7 in the 4th quarter, basically all on midrange jumpshots or 3's. He was really good. But on nights his shot isn't falling it will be tough. They run pick and rolls for him but he mostly ends up breaking off and going 1 on 1. Defensively Indiana is amazing though, they had a few big blocks in 4th, and at one point George stripped D-Will and saved the ball at a crucial point

Brooklyn will be fine this year too. They'll go on a run and be a 50+ win team. They consistently got off much better shots then Indiana. They have so many experienced / savvy players who are generally unselfish. They can get off a quality shot every possesion
[/quote]

You're talking about the Pacers BK game? PG only took 3 shots that quarter (hit all 3). They have a pretty nice balanced attack on offense. I bet they had 5-6 different players score that quarter.
[/quote]

I remember the 3 pointer and a couple of pull ups, one from the right side. I remember hearing 6/7 but maybe that was in the second half. I checked the game log and you are right. Felt like he made a couple more shots in the 4th. I still think their offense doesn't flow as well as most teams that win titles, but they are so good defensively slightly better then league average is probably good enough for them

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1384187718' post='8131598']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1384140450' post='8129920']
Some slow starts in the East. If for some reason the next 72 games get cancelled the East playoff picture would be hilarious. It's only 6-7 games in but it's hard to imagine who the 5-8 seeds will be. I've watched every team in that group and none really stood out in any way. They are all very flawed on one side of the ball or both

OKC with another win. 4-0 since Russell is back though he is shooting like a blind person. After all the talk i actually think by season's end this team will be better then last year's team. Steven Adams looks capable defensively, he played a bit more then Perkins tonight and that will probably become more lopsided. Lamb and Jackson are combining for 18 points so far this season, which more then replaces Martin. I like Lamb from what i have seen. He looks confident

I've watched a couple of SAS games too. They are just awesome to watch if you are a basketball nerd. So much gets talked about in the offseason, but once play starts, they really look like they have not missed a beat

OKC, Indiana and SAS are the best teams of the first couple of weeks
[/quote]

You're talking about the Pacers going thru offensive lulls and how much you like Jeremy Lamb - you were right, you are most definitely an OKC homer lol
[/quote]

It's all relative, when i say i like Lamb i mean for getting 10-12 pts a game and hitting a respectable percentage from 3, that's all they really need from him. If he and Reggie Jackson both give them 9-10 a game they won't miss Kevin Martin and this was a 60 win team a year ago

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1384182327' post='8131092']

[/quote]

I think they have to finish ahead of the Clippers and hope Westbrook has a good season

If they finish behind the Clippers and LAC has a good record , Chris Paul will get a lot of votes

If OKC wins 60 games and Westbrook has a weaker statistical season then a year ago, Durant will win it

Plus he'd need to George to cool off on offense (which should happen) and for voters to be sick of voting for Lebron (which also could happen)

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1384211783' post='8133646']
[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1384203519' post='8132944']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I remember the 3 pointer and a couple of pull ups, one from the right side. I remember hearing 6/7 but maybe that was in the second half. I checked the game log and you are right. Felt like he made a couple more shots in the 4th. I still think their offense doesn't flow as well as most teams that win titles, but they are so good defensively slightly better then league average is probably good enough for them
[/quote]

[url="http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats"]http://espn.go.com/n...inger/teamstats[/url]

They literally have the second slowest pace in the league and are about middle of the pace for points per 100 possessions. How they make up the difference for that is by shooting the ball well...they are like 6th or 7th in True Shooting % (a stat i love). But you are def. correct, when you play that well defensively you don't need to have an elite offense. They aren't just good defensively. They are only allowing 88.9 points per 100 posessions - there has been no team EVER that broke 90 since they'd been keeping that stat.

I think their pace structure this year sets off perfectly for playoff basketball - when the game slows down. I honestly think Grainger is just icing on the cake at this point - they made some moves and improved their bench. What's scary is they are also one of the youngest teams in the leauge. I just read (Zach Lowe) that there only bench issue is when both Paul and Hibbert sit, there +/- is -5 in that situation (which doesn't happen too often). But that's pretty normal when the two best players on your team sit at the same time. When either Paul or Hibbert sit the differential is only slightly negative.

Zach Lowe, true shooting percentage, pts per 100 on defense.....oh we are going to get along really well!

haha. I love the Pacers. Hibbert is a really classy guy too. One of the best interviews in the NBA

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I'm going to Pacers v Wolves on the 25th. Looking forward to that.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1384388804' post='8145566']
Zach Lowe, true shooting percentage, pts per 100 on defense.....oh we are going to get along really well!

haha. I love the Pacers. Hibbert is a really classy guy too. One of the best interviews in the NBA
[/quote]

Hibbert classy? Do you remember his "classy" comment last year?

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1384403580' post='8146790']

[/quote]

[/quote]

only offended those that think everything needs to be pc these days. pretty tame comment. as with most pc people, those who found the comment offensive weren't even the people who the comment would have been at all derogatory towards.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

[quote name='HoosierMizuno' timestamp='1384465005' post='8149566']

[/quote]

[/quote]

only offended those that think everything needs to be pc these days. pretty tame comment. as with most pc people, those who found the comment offensive weren't even the people who the comment would have been at all derogatory towards.
[/quote]

LOL.... He called the ref's Fa**.... I am not sure how many gay people would not find that offensive. Please be unbiased, the last thing this site needs is biased fans in a non TMAG thread.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1384469423' post='8149918']
[quote name='HoosierMizuno' timestamp='1384465005' post='8149566']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL.... He called the ref's Fa**.... I am not sure how many gay people would not find that offensive. Please be unbiased, the last thing this site needs is biased fans in a non TMAG thread.
[/quote]

So let's pass judgement on the guy and his character based on 1 post game interview? Makes perfect sense!

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn't remember that, but still he gives great interviews and goes into a lot of depth in them. Doesn't just answer questions with BS. I've also seen 2 post gamers with him this season and both times he was very complimentary towards opponents and respectful of their strengths. Didn't come off as a cocky guy at all.

just came off as a really down to earth dude. I guess i'll give him the benefit of the doubt

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1384404480' post='8146836']
Ibaka has got to be the softest big man in the history of the NBA. Artest punked him last year and Barnes did the same tonight.
[/quote]

You have never seen Andrea Bargnani play!

Poor Ibaka. Westbrook's injury was great for Russell (because people saw how important and good he really was), but brutal for Ibaka. People expected to him to just start scoring 20 a game.

He's a great shooter from 15-20 (one of the best in the NBA among big men) and is a great weakside and help defender. He has a lot of value. But he isn't perfect.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1384403563' post='8146788']
[/quote]

that should be a great matchup, lot of interesting ones there!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

So John Stockton average 13.7 assists per game in 1990

No one has hit 13 since then or gotten close

Anyone think Chris Paul can do it this year?

I think he might finish with like a 19-13 or something. If he does that.....man , that is a modern pantheon season for a PG, especially while leading the likely #1 offense in the league.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1384476894' post='8150552']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn't remember that, but still he gives great interviews and goes into a lot of depth in them. Doesn't just answer questions with BS. I've also seen 2 post gamers with him this season and both times he was very complimentary towards opponents and respectful of their strengths. Didn't come off as a cocky guy at all.

just came off as a really down to earth dude. I guess i'll give him the benefit of the doubt
[/quote]

I am certainly not one to play morality police. I am sure that he is a good guy and simply made a mistake. But I normally don't associate classy people with ones that use homophobic slurs. That is all that I was saying.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1384477371' post='8150604']
So John Stockton average 13.7 assists per game in 1990

No one has hit 13 since then or gotten close

Anyone think Chris Paul can do it this year?

I think he might finish with like a 19-13 or something. If he does that.....man , that is a modern pantheon season for a PG, especially while leading the likely #1 offense in the league.
[/quote]

If Reddick continues to shoot the ball well, then it's a possibility. But let's not get it twisted, Blake is no Karl Malone off the pick and roll. I would take the under on 13 if there is money on it.

Oh yeah me too, if i'm betting money it's under 13. But i think as the season wears on he's going to look to score a bit less. I think over 12.5 isn't out of the question. And then of course you just round up LOL

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1384477204' post='8150592']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep. Never seen Rubio or Love (slight man crush) live yet so I'm geeked. I'm an unapologetic Lakers fans but run over to Indy for NBA games all the time since it's close. It's just never ever been this awesome b/c Indiana is so good.

BTW i'm headed to the Bahamas for a week as of saturday....if anyone wants to get in a solid week of Westbrook hate without fear of any kind of counter argument, now is your chance haha

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The Clippers have a very high ceiling this year. Doc has not made any huge changes but he has them doing a lot of things better. By the end of the year I see their D being able to handcuff teams for long periods. For the first time I think they will be able to lean on their defense to win games. He has all of them playing well together and Darren Collison has been a great on the ball defender so far.

I don't know if you guys have watched many of their games but Blake still has the same few post moves. What he is doing better or different is he is getting the ball much deeper in the post and he is making quick moves and not holding the ball.

It would be nice if they could play Jordan down the stretch but Hollins has filled the role well and Doc has gone to smaller lineups down the stretch that are very hard for other teams to match in terms of firepower with CP3, Blake, JJ, Jamal, and Collison.

I thought the Clippers would win the West in the regular season, but the playoffs are a different animal. It's tough to play Crawford in the playoffs, he's literally one of the worst defensive players in the league

The Clips right now are the 3rd worst team in the league in pts/100 possesions. I believe, though i might be wrong, that only 1-2 teams in the last 25 years have won the title without finishing in the top 10, and one of them was one of the Lakers teams with Shaq/Kobe that sleepwalked their way through the regular season.

The Clippers have a devastating offense, eventually we will see how they fare in a 7 game series against a team that plays both ways. Currently SA, OKC, Golden State and surprisingly Houston are all in the top 10 in defensive efficiency.

I could see all of those teams except Houston finishing in the top 10.

I like watching the Clips but it will be tough.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1384479911' post='8150838']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1384477204' post='8150592']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep. Never seen Rubio or Love (slight man crush) live yet so I'm geeked. I'm an unapologetic Lakers fans but run over to Indy for NBA games all the time since it's close. It's just never ever been this awesome b/c Indiana is so good.
[/quote]

Kevin Love's numbers kind of defy logic. The last time he was fully healthy and playing with Rubio healthy was 2 years ago when they looked like a lock for the playoffs before his injury. He averaged something like 27-15 for a couple of months. I mean no one really does that outside of the 60's or 70's when guys put up crazy numbers. He's averaging 27-14 through 8-9 games this years. He is just insane offensively, i mean if he keeps up even a pace close to that where does that leave us? like if he throws up 26-14 or something....who does that????

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Also there was an interesting article on Grantland today about the Parker/Randle/Wiggins affair. It reminded me of what a few good writers said when Wiggins declared for Kansas, and that was that his stock would suffer this year playing in that offense, we would hear all year about how Parker and Randle were better, and then when scouts sized him up again after the season he'd go back to #1.

It's funny because it's already kind of happening i guess, after only a couple of games

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1384487025' post='8151464']
I thought the Clippers would win the West in the regular season, but the playoffs are a different animal. It's tough to play Crawford in the playoffs, he's literally one of the worst defensive players in the league

The Clips right now are the 3rd worst team in the league in pts/100 possesions. I believe, though i might be wrong, that only 1-2 teams in the last 25 years have won the title without finishing in the top 10, and one of them was one of the Lakers teams with Shaq/Kobe that sleepwalked their way through the regular season.

The Clippers have a devastating offense, eventually we will see how they fare in a 7 game series against a team that plays both ways. Currently SA, OKC, Golden State and surprisingly Houston are all in the top 10 in defensive efficiency.

I could see all of those teams except Houston finishing in the top 10.

I like watching the Clips but it will be tough.
[/quote]

I agree that their defense needs to improve. I think it's going to be lock-down by the end of the year, I still like them in the west.

The clippers defense is down right awful. They are the second worst defensively efficient team in the league. They allow the 3rd most points in the paint and let their opponents shoot 48% from the field, also second worst in the league. Lockdown D is pretty far from their forte.