2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The NBA basketball thread 2013-2014

MtlJeff

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1398901511' post='9207405']
I feel like some of those are too much to give up for him.

The Magic would make sense, but i doubt would include Oladipo in anything. But a Vucevic/Afflalo/Harkless package would probably make the Thunder think if they were inclined to deal him.

I don't think the Lakers deal would make sense because they need to win now, or risk losing Durant. I think the Chicago deal is too much. No way they'd deal Noah IMO , who is arguably as good as Westbrook on his own. But i'd certainly listen to Mirotic, Butler, Gibson

Another one i've thought of, is if Toronto was going to lose Lowry, a sign and trade for Lowry and Valenciunas. I consider myself impartial on that one because i'm an OKC and Toronto homer, and i'd do that deal on both sides

but....they aren't trading Westbrook. Just fun to discuss
[/quote]

As much as I've voiced my displeasure with how Westbrook plays I'm not sure there is any real benefit in trading him. I actually like the idea of the Lance/Hibbert deal and I think Indy would do that with the way Hibbert is playing and how they've done in the playoffs this year. Besides that though I'm not sure that you can get a trade that gives you what Westbrook is worth and doesn't put you in a position where you have to get worse before you get better.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1398913509' post='9208771']
[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1398913387' post='9208763']
Anybody else see Magic tweet that he couldn't be happier that D'Antoni resigned?
[/quote]

Never understood how he got a head job, let alone more than one.
[/quote]

Were you in a coma during the 7 seconds or less years?

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1398913387' post='9208763']Anybody else see Magic tweet that he couldn't be happier that D'Antoni resigned?[/quote]

Like Chuck said just now, I thought magic should have been above that.

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1398917068' post='9209069']
Anybody else see Magic tweet that he couldn't be happier that D'Antoni resigned?
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

7 seconds or less?

Sorry, haven't heard that. Is it a reference to the fact that they tried to get up as many shots as possible at the expense of playing any semblence of defense?

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1398944779' post='9209757']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

7 seconds or less?

Sorry, haven't heard that. Is it a reference to the fact that they tried to get up as many shots as possible at the expense of playing any semblence of defense?
[/quote]

It's a book by Jack McCullum that detailed the PHX Suns run during the mid-2000s, with D'Antoni at the helm (it is a superb book for an NBA junkie). He is/can be a great coach, if he has the right roster. As a Lakers fan, with those injuries and roster, no one was coaching that team to 30 wins.

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1398905914' post='9207881']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1398902452' post='9207521']
So since we're all tired of talking about Sterling...here's another fun debate that me and my friend argued about at work today for maybe an hour LOL

So Dallas/SA has a ton of very solid vets, some of whom were superstars back in the day. If you were to re-draft the Dallas/SA teams today, but you'd have them from the beginning of their careers until the end...what would the draft order be?

Mine was

1) Duncan (obviously)
2) Dirk
3) Marion
4) Parker
5) Carter

the last 3 are tough, i argued Marion's versatile defense in his prime put him above Parker
[/quote]

1. Duncan
2. Dirk
3. Carter
4. Parker
5. Marion
[/quote]

I like Manu more than Marion. Maybe more than Carter, too.

Duncan is clearly #1 and Dirk #2.

EDIT: Parker is a clear #3 ... forgot to add until I read the following post.

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Not putting Tony Parker on 3rd on that list is highway robbery. Like, I just stole 100 kilos of yayo from a Mexican Cartel, robbery.

Vince Carter had a way better career than Marion. On the offensive side of the floor, he benefitted (like Amare) massively from Steve Nash. He shot like 34% from 3 playing with Nash to like 20% without him or something crazy. Vince had 10-11 seasons of 20+ppg...what did Marion have...1? Can you imagine both Carter & Amare playing with Nash? That would have been insane. I think when guys play into their mid to late 30's we begin to forget how good they really were. Vince was REALLY good. Marion did rule fantashy basketball for those few 04-05-06 years. The scope of Parker's and Vince's career is too hard to ignore though.

Marion was the better defender, yes.

Vince & Parker are almost sure-fire Hall of Famers (Parker is, no doubt)

[url="http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html?redir"]http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html?redir[/url]

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1398954965' post='9210661']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1398944779' post='9209757']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

7 seconds or less?

[/quote]

It's a book by Jack McCullum that detailed the PHX Suns run during the mid-2000s, with D'Antoni at the helm (it is a superb book for an NBA junkie). He is/can be a great coach, if he has the right roster. As a Lakers fan, with those injuries and roster, no one was coaching that team to 30 wins.
[/quote]

Ok, thanks. I'll have to read that one.

I think he can coach a team to score a boatload of points each game, but I've just always believed you have to play at least some defense to win championships. But he probably would have had a chance if not for one of the worst non calls I've ever seen when Robert Horry basically threw Nash into the chairs. I was actually a Suns fan for a long time, they were fun to watch.

well, they arguably had a very high shot at the title in 2007 without all those horrible suspensions as well

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1398960849' post='9211427']
well, they arguably had a very high shot at the title in 2007 without all those horrible suspensions as well
[/quote]

My memory isn't very good, I can't remember the particulars of the suspensions. And was that the same year as the Horry/Nash deal? Who was the power team(s) in the east?

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1398973655' post='9213013']
[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1398960849' post='9211427']
[/quote]

My memory isn't very good, I can't remember the particulars of the suspensions. And was that the same year as the Horry/Nash deal? Who was the power team(s) in the east?
[/quote]

boston for sure. i think the cavs with lebron, detroit, possibly miami

lol ok not miami, it was the orlando magic

[quote name='tocino' timestamp='1398973749' post='9213023'] [quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1398973655' post='9213013'] [quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1398960849' post='9211427'] well, they arguably had a very high shot at the title in 2007 without all those horrible suspensions as well [/quote] My memory isn't very good, I can't remember the particulars of the suspensions. And was that the same year as the Horry/Nash deal? Who was the power team(s) in the east? [/quote] boston for sure. i think the cavs with lebron, detroit, possibly miami [/quote]

Boston was horrible that year, didn't make the playoffs. East Conference Finals was Miami v Detroit. Raptors were good as well.

The suspension happened b/c of the Horry/Nash push and Amare and Diaw leaving the bench, suspending them for game 5.

PHX had over 60 wins that year I believe 62-63 I think.

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1398958132' post='9211091']
Not putting Tony Parker on 3rd on that list is highway robbery. Like, I just stole 100 kilos of yayo from a Mexican Cartel, robbery.

Vince Carter had a way better career than Marion. On the offensive side of the floor, he benefitted (like Amare) massively from Steve Nash. He shot like 34% from 3 playing with Nash to like 20% without him or something crazy. Vince had 10-11 seasons of 20+ppg...what did Marion have...1? Can you imagine both Carter & Amare playing with Nash? That would have been insane. I think when guys play into their mid to late 30's we begin to forget how good they really were. Vince was REALLY good. Marion did rule fantashy basketball for those few 04-05-06 years. The scope of Parker's and Vince's career is too hard to ignore though.

Marion was the better defender, yes.

Vince & Parker are almost sure-fire Hall of Famers (Parker is, no doubt)

[url="http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html?redir"]http://www.basketbal...prob.html?redir[/url]
[/quote]

If Parker ends up on another team i wonder how his career plays out, he's not a great defender, and has been able to coast at time too playing in the Spurs machine. Not to say he isn't a terrific player and runs the offense beautifully, i'm just not sure he isn't a tad overrated

I'm Canadian, i'm obliged to hate Vince a bit.

I really liked Marion as a player. He had 5 years of 20-10 with 2 steals and 1.5 blocks, and could guard anyone from 1-4 (for his career he's still 16-9)

My thinking was after Dirk and Duncan, no one from the list was the best player on a championship team, and as a second banana i liked Marion's versatility the best.

Carter has carved out a great career, but didn't always handle the pressure well

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Well you can always play the what if game - but Parker is a first ballot hall of famer as the second best player on four championship teams putting some of the most consistent PG numbers ever over 12 years while shooting 50% from the floor. You want to talk about beneficiaries of a system - Marion might be the captain of that on that 7 seconds or less squad. Marion's numbers dipped dramatically after leaving Nash, and was still in his prime. Don't you remember the uproar about how stupid he was to leave? He got so many easy open looks with Nash at the helm. Just look up his three point percentage when he was on the suns vs when he cam back then left again. It's a testament to how great Nash was really. Don't get me wrong he was a great player for those 5 years or so, but was never a guy that could create a lot of offense for himself. A huge what-if is if he would have stayed in PHX instead if wanting to be the man instead of a third option offensively.

I thought about it at the range tonight, and i concede defeat....i am dumb. Parker is better then Marion. BUT.... i still like him better the Carter

And holy crap did you just see the airball grab dunk by Westbrook!!!!!!

Dr Jekyll and Mr Russell

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

We are too alike Jeff. I typed that at the range lol. There is no winning or losing NBA talk! I do give you the Marion/Carter debate could go either way, you should read that book Jeff it's a good one

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1398993102' post='9214903']I thought about it at the range tonight, and i concede defeat....i am dumb. Parker is better then Marion. BUT.... i still like him better the Carter

And holy crap did you just see the airball grab dunk by Westbrook!!!!!!

Dr Jekyll and Mr Russell[/quote]

Barkley was like he shouldn't have been in that position! Lol I love chuck. Russ is just so damn polarizing. I do agree he needs to be shooting less than 30 times lol

Yeah i've defended Russell more then any human should. I do agree with anyone who says he shouldn't be going 10-31 when Ibaka is 6-10, and Reggie Jackson only attempts 7 shots.

They showed a graph tonight during the game. Westbrook averaging 26 shots a game, Durant 25. Next closest is Ibaka at 10, and Ibaka has been shooting it well! They also showed another one showing the Thunder had a great record in the playoffs when he shoots less then 20 times, and a losing record when he shoots more then 20

That's a problem. Tonight he has been great. Shooting when he has it, but not forcing. They need to embed this in his brain somehow

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1398994866' post='9215147']
We are too alike Jeff. I typed that at the range lol. There is no winning or losing NBA talk! I do give you the Marion/Carter debate could go either way, you should read that book Jeff it's a good one
[/quote]

i'll check out the book, have not read it. I did like that 7 seconds or less Suns team. But again as a Canadian, that was mandatory

(all Canadian basketball fans must love Steve Nash, and hate Vince Carter)

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='Ratliff ISU' timestamp='1398996822' post='9215379']Off topic from the current conversation going on. But does anyone know how you can be 7'2" weigh 290 pounds and manage to get 0 points in a game? I'm referring to Roy Hibbert.[/quote]

My theory:
Roy Hibbert had his powers stolen a la Space Jam and switched with those of Shawn Bradley.

[quote name='tocino' timestamp='1399047867' post='9218515']*whew* the 3 games last night were INTENSE and because of it we have 3 game 7's on Saturday (first time ever?). How many of tonight's games lead to game 7's for Sunday? I hope it's all 3 to be honest. I can't remember the last time I was this excited about the NBA playoffs. Almost every single series has been great![/quote]

I agree with you 100%. This is as good of a 1st round as I can remember. Wow!

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2