2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golf in Maui....

destingolfer

[quote name='SkyyDesigns' timestamp='1383705160' post='8107974']
I was just there in march...they don't have it at Plantation any more. It bounces from both Kaanapali courses, Makena, and the Bay course at Kapalua. I played on a Tuesday at Kaanapali, shot 68 and won 185$. They usually have 25 players and the starter said its hit and miss.

As for the Maui Golf Shop, that's the one a lot of my old members and buddies have used and have had no problems. It's right outside the airport on the way to Lahina. Don't get me wrong Kapalua is one of my favorite spots on earth, but Koele on Lanai was just an experience that's hard to duplicate hence the name.
[/quote]

I'm going in December...

What about Koele do you love? That is the course away from the ocean, right? The other course I believe is called Manele? Where would you rank Manele?

Also, can you tell me more about the skins game? Day of the week they play, where to call, etc

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't ask me, but I recently spent 3wks at Kapalua, just before they punched. Most Club pros at better courses usually know when and where a skins game is held. You just have to ask around. Some also know where you can get a private game for $$$$. I've never known a game to be at Makena; that's not to say a game couldn't happen there, some just pop up when there are enough players. Just that Makena is at the far south end of the island. Up to a few years back, Makena had North and South courses; one was recently eliminated, and the other is now closed for renovation till sometime late in 2014. Hopefully it will be open by our next trip. I love that place.

Koele is a MTN course, which is known to lose some greens, due to infestation; but lots of trees, elevation changes and beautiful greenery. Wonderful place. Bill Gates bought out the Lodge for his private wedding. Manele is on the cliffs over looking the ocean, closest to the ferry. Both are equally wonderful .. yet different.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1383756683' post='8110136']
You didn't ask me, but I recently spent 3wks at Kapalua, just before they punched. Most Club pros at better courses usually know when and where a skins game is held. You just have to ask around. Some also know where you can get a private game for $$$$. I've never known a game to be at Makena; that's not to say a game couldn't happen there, some just pop up when there are enough players. Just that Makena is at the far south end of the island. Up to a few years back, Makena had North and South courses; one was recently eliminated, and the other is now closed for renovation till sometime late in 2014. Hopefully it will be open by our next trip. I love that place.

Koele is a MTN course, which is known to lose some greens, due to infestation; but lots of trees, elevation changes and beautiful greenery. Wonderful place. Bill Gates bought out the Lodge for his private wedding. Manele is on the cliffs over looking the ocean, closest to the ferry. Both are equally wonderful .. yet different.
[/quote]

Thank you!

We will be in Kauai for 3 nights and kapalua for 6 nights.

I am lucky enough that my GF wants to play almost every day. Trying to figure out when and where to play. My extend Kauai to 4 nights so in Maui only 5 nights.

We are definitely going to play the following:

Makai
Princeville
Kapalua Plantation
Kapalua Bay

Prob have room for one or two more.

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1383757274' post='8110180']

[/quote]

Thank you!

I am lucky enough that my GF wants to play almost every day. Trying to figure out when and where to play. My extend Kauai to 4 nights so in Maui only 5 nights.

Makai
Princeville
Kapalua Plantation
Kapalua Bay

[/quote]

My wife will play nearly every day too. You'z a lucky man. Aside from Kapalua courses, Wailea Gold or Emerald (known as woman friendly) at the south end, Elleair mid-island, Dunes at Maui Lani, not far from the airport; King Kamehameha Golf Club, immaculate course mid-island and worth playing if the wind isn't blowing (its a private club but is opening for play). Marilyn Monroe's Frank Lloyd Wright home is the club house. Worth visiting, if for no other reason than to see it. Not a big fan of Kaanapali courses, both are sorta boring.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1383758366' post='8110272']
[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1383757274' post='8110180']

[/quote]

Thank you!

Makai
Princeville
Kapalua Plantation
Kapalua Bay

[/quote]

My wife will play nearly every day too. You'z a lucky man. Aside from Kapalua courses, Wailea Gold or Emerald (known as woman friendly) at the south end, Elleair mid-island, Dunes at Maui Lani, not far from the airport; King Kamehameha Golf Club, immaculate course mid-island and worth playing if the wind isn't blowing (its a private club but is opening for play). Marilyn Monroe's Frank Lloyd Wright home is the club house. Worth visiting, if for no other reason than to see it. Not a big fan of Kaanapali courses, both are sorta boring.
[/quote]
+1..always wondered what that structure was zipping over to the west side from Kahalui until I heard it was Wright. Always thought that track looked nice.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='DimasR' timestamp='1385726238' post='8224268']
Hi guys,

have any of you stayed at the kapalua villas? Me and my future wife we are going in june and i have a booked a gold ocean view villa, any review on that? or the resort itself?

Thanks!
[/quote]

I nearly booked the same for my trip 12/7, but stumbled across the Residences at Kapalua. They are in the same area as the villas, but are a pretty big upgrade, in my opinion.

Originally, I could only find a rate of $730 for a one bedroom at the Residences, and that was for a garden view. But if you go to their awards program website called IPREFER, and search the hotel specials, there is a special right now for the Kapalua property.

I was able to find a rate of $453 a night, which includes breakfast, $150 spa credit, and a room upgrade! I can either upgrade to a 2 bedroom or to a horizon view, which is a higher floor. 100% of the units are ocean front, the garden view is a bottom floor unit.

Also, no dealing with a condo owner, no cleaning fee, and housekeeping daily as opposed to the condos.

I have read that you have to be careful with the "Gold" rating of the condos, as some are rated as such but either not renovated or poorly renovated. Also, I spoke with an owner of maybe the nicest 2 bedroom unit, an oceanfront penthouse unit, and she said that bedbugs are such a concern at the condos that they would not permit any visitors that weren't coming directly from their home to the condo! In fact, I am going to the St Regis Kauai beforehand, a 5 star property, and she would not allow us to rent the property!

[url="http://www.residencesatkapaluabay.com/"]www.residencesatkapaluabay.com/[/url]

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1385729638' post='8224340']
[quote name='DimasR' timestamp='1385726238' post='8224268']
Hi guys,

have any of you stayed at the kapalua villas? Me and my future wife we are going in june and i have a booked a gold ocean view villa, any review on that? or the resort itself?

Thanks!
[/quote]

I nearly booked the same for my trip 12/7, but stumbled across the Residences at Kapalua. They are in the same area as the villas, but are a pretty big upgrade, in my opinion.

Originally, I could only find a rate of $730 for a one bedroom at the Residences, and that was for a garden view. But if you go to their awards program website called IPREFER, and search the hotel specials, there is a special right now for the Kapalua property.

I was able to find a rate of $453 a night, which includes breakfast, $150 spa credit, and a room upgrade! I can either upgrade to a 2 bedroom or to a horizon view, which is a higher floor. 100% of the units are ocean front, the garden view is a bottom floor unit.

Also, no dealing with a condo owner, no cleaning fee, and housekeeping daily as opposed to the condos.

I have read that you have to be careful with the "Gold" rating of the condos, as some are rated as such but either not renovated or poorly renovated. Also, I spoke with an owner of maybe the nicest 2 bedroom unit, an oceanfront penthouse unit, and she said that bedbugs are such a concern at the condos that they would not permit any visitors that weren't coming directly from their home to the condo! In fact, I am going to the St Regis Kauai beforehand, a 5 star property, and she would not allow us to rent the property!

[url="http://www.residencesatkapaluabay.com/"]www.residencesatkapaluabay.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for the info! I didn´t know villas were privately owned, now I´m very concerned about the consistency problem among categories. I´ve searched for the hotel specials at IPREFER, and for my dates the best rate was $730/night, so now I´m thinking of staying at the Ritz-Carlton, not so great room but safer, I guess...

I've played most of the courses in Maui and one the courses I believe is the most underrated is Makena in the Wailena. Golf course is outstanding but the views on some of the holes are spectacular.

Makena_Golf_Course_in_Maui_Hawaii_19945.JPG

Driver: Cobra F7
Irons: Srixon 565's Steelfibers I95
3 Wood: Callaway Octane Tour 15*
Wedges:Wishon HM's SteelFiber i110
Hybrid: Cobra 20* Putter: Ping Craz-E
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130

I've played most of the courses in Maui and one the courses I believe is the most underrated is Makena in the Wailena. Golf course is outstanding but the views on some of the holes are spectacular.

Sadly, Makena is closed for renos till sometime early 2014. I'm on vacation on Maui now and if it was open we'd be playing it again, ( as long as they weren't crazy with green fees). We played it twice last year, once a GolfNow deal and once a $100 replay deal that wasn't advertised. Both well off the rack rate (and you had to hunt on their website just to find the rack rate as I recall).

The place was virtually empty, and the outdoor dining-also empty- was great with views at least as good as Gannon's. I think it's gone into receivership several times. I don't get the overpricing - fill up the seats on the plane. Then get them in the bar for food and drinks after. A lot of the others here are are in that same boat with that philosophy.

• 7 months later...

Late back to my topic but a trip report for those interested:

~Stayed at the Fairmont in Wailea and it was excellent. Much more laid back than the GW or 4S but still spectacular, and the customer service was A1. Each room is a suite and we had a mountain view looking at Haleakula. Will definitely stay there again.

~Restaurants....not a bad meal all week and a couple were some of the best I have ever had. Mama's Fish House is all that and more. Loved the experience and atmosphere there as much as the food, which was excellent. Monkeypod in Wailea was recommended by the locals, and went back there a second time. The lobster pizza...mmmm, and the best Mai Tai's on the planet. WolfGang Puck in 4S was its usual awesome food.

~Golf....played 3 rounds. Wailea Emerald and Gold. Both were plush and in excellent condition. Emerald was slightly easier but I liked the layout and scenery better than the higher rated Gold course. I didn't have the 2nd round scheduled but worked in a replay rate thanks to the Fairmont concierge. Would play either of these again in a hearbeat. Worked in a PM round at Kapalua later in the week but wasn't overly impressed....perhaps due to expectations. Don't get me wrong, I liked the course, and it was great to see these holes in person after watching them on TV, but I would choose either Emerald or Gold over Kapalua if I had one course to play of the three. I will say I managed a bogey on 18, but seeing where some of the pro drives end up after catching the downslope is rather humbling, lol.

Planning another visit there in 3 years. Maui is spectacular overall....loved the smaller towns, the shopping, and no matter where you are, you have a view. Snorkeling was great as well.

Thanks for the time.

Hi guys,

Thanks!

Sadly, Makena is closed for renos till sometime early 2014. I'm on vacation on Maui now and if it was open we'd be playing it again, ( as long as they weren't crazy with green fees). We played it twice last year, once a GolfNow deal and once a $100 replay deal that wasn't advertised. Both well off the rack rate (and you had to hunt on their website just to find the rack rate as I recall).

The place was virtually empty, and the outdoor dining-also empty- was great with views at least as good as Gannon's. I think it's gone into receivership several times. I don't get the overpricing - fill up the seats on the plane. Then get them in the bar for food and drinks after. A lot of the others here are are in that same boat with that philosophy.

We're going to be on Maui soon. I just learned Makena still isn't open, but when it does open, it will no longer be public, but private and one course. I am not convinced that was a wise strategic business decision, as private courses have never fared well on Maui. I suspect those staying at the hotel will get preferential treatment though. Kapalua Village went private, failed, now its gone to grass; sad as it was a fun course. King Kamehameha Golf Club was exclusively private as well, but couldn't sustain itself. Its since been sold and now open for public play. They say it's semi-private, but doesn't look to be the case.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

[quote name='destingolfer' timestamp='1406207447' post='9774559']
Late back to my topic but a trip report for those interested:

~Stayed at the Fairmont in Wailea and it was excellent. Much more laid back than the GW or 4S but still spectacular, and the customer service was A1. Each room is a suite and we had a mountain view looking at Haleakula. Will definitely stay there again.

~Restaurants....not a bad meal all week and a couple were some of the best I have ever had. Mama's Fish House is all that and more. Loved the experience and atmosphere there as much as the food, which was excellent. Monkeypod in Wailea was recommended by the locals, and went back there a second time. The lobster pizza...mmmm, and the best Mai Tai's on the planet. WolfGang Puck in 4S was its usual awesome food.

~Golf....played 3 rounds. Wailea Emerald and Gold. Both were plush and in excellent condition. Emerald was slightly easier but I liked the layout and scenery better than the higher rated Gold course. I didn't have the 2nd round scheduled but worked in a replay rate thanks to the Fairmont concierge. Would play either of these again in a hearbeat. Worked in a PM round at Kapalua later in the week but wasn't overly impressed....perhaps due to expectations. Don't get me wrong, I liked the course, and it was great to see these holes in person after watching them on TV, but I would choose either Emerald or Gold over Kapalua if I had one course to play of the three. I will say I managed a bogey on 18, but seeing where some of the pro drives end up after catching the downslope is rather humbling, lol.

Planning another visit there in 3 years. Maui is spectacular overall....loved the smaller towns, the shopping, and no matter where you are, you have a view. Snorkeling was great as well.

Thanks for the time.
[/quote]

Among others, I have played The Plantation so many times I can count. Successful scoring is all about ball placement. For instance, #1 from regular tees I hit 2 iron and reach the bottom, while too many pull driver and run though the top or bottom, which sets up for bogie or... If the player knows where the trough is on #18 and places the ball there, he's gets lots of run, otherwise he comes up seriously short. Though I can't reach that green in two, I always find the trough and get plenty of run-out for birdie or par. Anyway, I love both your restaurant choices. Next time you're on Maui, check out Willie K.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey