Retro Ping Set

ping rat

I decided to restore a full Ping "Eye 2" set, I was not trying to go back to stock, but wanted to kind of make them my own....

Eye 2 Becu, 2 - S, Black dot, Polished and paint fill.

Eye 2 Woods, 1,3 and 5 , stripped, sanded, stained and varnished.

Z-Blade putter, Polished and paint fill.

Grips, Best grips tan leather with initial engraved.

Head covers, Seamus golf "flower of Scotland", I made the metal 1, 3 & 5 tabs.

Putter shoe, Best grips Tan leather with engraved Celtic knot and initials.

Bag, Hot Z, Beige and tan leather.

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='super20dan' timestamp='1386249537' post='8251819']
wow-you didnt skimp- looks like no expence spared
[/quote]
You would be surprised how little I have actually invested dollar wise, now time wise is another story.

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1386245942' post='8251681']
Very sharp looking. The old eye2 woods look a bit different don't they.
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing about the woods, almost like they were left out in the sun and got a little faded, but they are still beauties.

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

Nice set, Mr. Ping Rat

My retro Ping set includes Karsten 2 irons from 1975, black 3 and 5 woods, and an original Ping carry bag. I have yet to find a driver and putter. The bag is kind of an interesting find. A couple years ago I happened to be near a thrift shop that I had never been before. Going in, I didn't see much golf stuff, but happened to see a brown Ping nylon carry bag from the early 80's, I guess. Pretty nice shape, although slightly faded in a couple places, I'm inspecting it and notice, there's a lot of stuff in the pockets. The bag is marked $ 3.99, so I go to the cashier, and tell her that the bag has a lot of stuff in it. She looks inside the pockets, and says I can have what's in there. She rings it up, and at 50% off day, the total is $ 2.11. I pay and walk out happy.

I didn't want to look into the bag right there at the store lot, so I drove down the road to another lot. I couldn't wait any longer. There were 4 knit headcovers in decent shape, 5 divot tools, including a Zippo greenskeeper, a dozen used balls, a nice Zippo lighter, a Shaeffer (cheap model) ballpoint pen, some tees and ball markers, and an old change purse with over $ 3 in coin.

Yesterday, I played with the Ping outfit, 3W, 5-8-PW, and a Spalding TPM putter that I bought in 1985, in the original Ping bag. I'm a minimalist golfer, haven't played with more than 5-7 clubs total for years.

Play well!

[quote name='Wriggles' timestamp='1386276005' post='8254061']
Nice set, Mr. Ping Rat

My retro Ping set includes Karsten 2 irons from 1975, black 3 and 5 woods, and an original Ping carry bag. I have yet to find a driver and putter. The bag is kind of an interesting find. A couple years ago I happened to be near a thrift shop that I had never been before. Going in, I didn't see much golf stuff, but happened to see a brown Ping nylon carry bag from the early 80's, I guess. Pretty nice shape, although slightly faded in a couple places, I'm inspecting it and notice, there's a lot of stuff in the pockets. The bag is marked $ 3.99, so I go to the cashier, and tell her that the bag has a lot of stuff in it. She looks inside the pockets, and says I can have what's in there. She rings it up, and at 50% off day, the total is $ 2.11. I pay and walk out happy.

I didn't want to look into the bag right there at the store lot, so I drove down the road to another lot. I couldn't wait any longer. There were 4 knit headcovers in decent shape, 5 divot tools, including a Zippo greenskeeper, a dozen used balls, a nice Zippo lighter, a Shaeffer (cheap model) ballpoint pen, some tees and ball markers, and an old change purse with over $ 3 in coin.

Yesterday, I played with the Ping outfit, 3W, 5-8-PW, and a Spalding TPM putter that I bought in 1985, in the original Ping bag. I'm a minimalist golfer, haven't played with more than 5-7 clubs total for years.

Play well!
[/quote]

I remember when they introduced the Karsten 2.
They came about because Ping staffer Bob Gilder complained about his Karsten 1s sticking in the ground because he was coming down steeply on the ball. So Karsten came up with the "2" which has a fairly pronounced bevel on the leading edge.
Thinking about picking up some of these myself, as I'm always looking for clubs which will handle the soft turf conditions I have to play in. I think it may be the only Ping club I've never hit.
How do these go through the ground for you?

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

Great retro set Rat

Thx for sharing

Ping G430 10k 10.5* Diamana ZF 60x

Cally AI Smoke TD 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1386296525' post='8256007']
Nice set, Mr. Ping Rat

Play well!
[/quote]

They came about because Ping staffer Bob Gilder complained about his Karsten 1s sticking in the ground because he was coming down steeply on the ball. So Karsten came up with the "2" which has a fairly pronounced bevel on the leading edge.
Thinking about picking up some of these myself, as I'm always looking for clubs which will handle the soft turf conditions I have to play in. I think it may be the only Ping club I've never hit.
[/quote]

Mr. Shallowface

I've never taken much divot on any clubs I've played. I've never stuck one into the ground. I bought my Karsten 2's around 12 years ago at a Second Swing store for $ 80. They were real survivors, not much wear anywhere. I thought they were only a few years old when I bought them. I've played them regularly since, and they still look like new. I regripped them about five years ago with vintage looking red and black grips. It's hard to believe those clubs were $1,200 new in 1975. I recall buying a new set of button back Wilson's 8 irons, and 3 woods, for $ 110, after much haggling with the store owner. I would have never considered paying used car money for a set of irons, my very nice 68 Fury III coupe cost $ 900 in 1973.

My only complaint is the top line. Seems too steep after playing some of the other stuff I have. Great clubs, all in all. Those early Pings were designed to feel like forged blades, at least I feel they do. They must have sold well, even at several times the price of other competitor's clubs.

Play well!

[quote name='Wriggles' timestamp='1386334833' post='8257467']
Nice set, Mr. Ping Rat

Play well!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Mr. Shallowface

I've never taken much divot on any clubs I've played. I've never stuck one into the ground. I bought my Karsten 2's around 12 years ago at a Second Swing store for $ 80. They were real survivors, not much wear anywhere. I thought they were only a few years old when I bought them. I've played them regularly since, and they still look like new. I regripped them about five years ago with vintage looking red and black grips. It's hard to believe those clubs were $1,200 new in 1975. I recall buying a new set of button back Wilson's 8 irons, and 3 woods, for $ 110, after much haggling with the store owner. I would have never considered paying used car money for a set of irons, my very nice 68 Fury III coupe cost $ 900 in 1973.

My only complaint is the top line. Seems too steep after playing some of the other stuff I have. Great clubs, all in all. Those early Pings were designed to feel like forged blades, at least I feel they do. They must have sold well, even at several times the price of other competitor's clubs.

Play well!
[/quote]

According to Ralph Maltby's Golf Club ID and Price Guide book, the retail on those clubs was $342 for a set of 9 in the first year they were introduced, which was 1977. A set of Wilson Staffs retailed for $288, so Pings were more expensive than most but they weren't $1,200 in 1977.

I've always hit down hard on the ball, even with fairway woods. Started out as a kid on unwatered bare turf and now it's thin wet bent grass lies. I don't want to top or sclaff them, so over time I just developed a somewhat sharp angle of attack. I have managed to modify it in recent years, but on balance it's worked pretty well. It's just that an old flat soled sharp edged iron will tend to catch in the ground even if the strike is solid. It can be hard on the old wrists!

Going from memory I think Ping touted a heat treating process that softened the feel on their castings. I always felt they had a bit firmer feel than most, but nothing objectionable. I loved the durability and the lack of chrome plating and the tumbled finish. I've taken plenty of old stainless clubs over the years that were high polish or satin finish, tumbled them and played them that way. Really like the size of those heads as well. They started to get too big beginning with the Eye 2.

Thanks for replying to me!

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1386336649' post='8257561']
[quote name='Wriggles' timestamp='1386334833' post='8257467']
Nice set, Mr. Ping Rat

Play well!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Mr. Shallowface

Play well!
[/quote]

According to Ralph Maltby's Golf Club ID and Price Guide book, the retail on those clubs was $342 for a set of 9 in the first year they were introduced, which was 1977. A set of Wilson Staffs retailed for $288, so Pings were more expensive than most but they weren't $1,200 in 1977.

I've always hit down hard on the ball, even with fairway woods. Started out as a kid on unwatered bare turf and now it's thin wet bent grass lies. I don't want to top or sclaff them, so over time I just developed a somewhat sharp angle of attack. I have managed to modify it in recent years, but on balance it's worked pretty well. It's just that an old flat soled sharp edged iron will tend to catch in the ground even if the strike is solid. It can be hard on the old wrists!

Going from memory I think Ping touted a heat treating process that softened the feel on their castings. I always felt they had a bit firmer feel than most, but nothing objectionable. I loved the durability and the lack of chrome plating and the tumbled finish. I've taken plenty of old stainless clubs over the years that were high polish or satin finish, tumbled them and played them that way. Really like the size of those heads as well. They started to get too big beginning with the Eye 2.

Thanks for replying to me!
[/quote]

Mr. Shallowface,

I knew I saw that $ 1,200 figure somewhere. On the PGA value website, it states that the Karsten 2's were introduced in 1975, at a retail of $ 1,200. I agree that the $ 1,200 figure seems out of whack, so the PGA site is probably wrong. It states the clubs have no value today. (Along with the ridiculous low values they assign most clubs. I just looked up my set of Callaway x-12 irons, at $ 20 trade in.)

Anyhow, my clubs are a blast from the past. I don't like the shovels most guys play today. I played my x-12s last week, just too big and too offset.

Thanks for the reply! Snow is on the way later today in PA, so I won't be playing for a while.

Thanks to your thread PR I found myself the owner of a nice set of eye2+. Browsing around a pawn shop yesterday afternoon and there they were. 2 -sw, too upright for me I said and certainly not at that price. Made an offer I thought they would laugh at and the next thing you know they are now in my Ping Oldschool bag alongside an Anser putter and Blonde Zing driver, eye2 3 and 5 woods.
Geez, they even felt pretty good on the range this morning. Requires a bit of a different setup than normal but results in a very high, very long soft landing fade and I can live with that.

[quote name='super20dan' timestamp='1386336551' post='8257555']
its just so hard to imagine as anythin from ping as retro. time wise yes but tech wise no. also hard to admit that anything i am old enouge to have bought back then is now retro!
[/quote] Trust me I feel your pain

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1386496627' post='8266651']
its just so hard to imagine as anythin from ping as retro. time wise yes but tech wise no. also hard to admit that anything i am old enouge to have bought back then is now retro!
[/quote] Trust me I feel your pain
[/quote]
Every time I pick a radio station my kids remind me how "old school" I am.

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Too many putters

I picked up a couple Zing blondes over the summer, but haven't hit them much. Think I've only hit one tee shot with the driver, nothing really with the 3 wood yet.

It's on my list of things to do. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Beautiful classics - sweeeeet! I have a small PING collection including a MINT set of Eye 2+ irons, i3 O-Size and i3+ irons as well. They all get regular play and are my gamers. Retro PING stuff is as good as anything made today. :taunt:

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

[/quote]I will admit that Karsten was ahead of the times engineering wise. Wow did I really say that????

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Those are some handsome clubs.

And those grips....

Those grips I'm guessing are as much as the set of irons themselves????

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Joe85' timestamp='1410093995' post='10078795']
Those are some handsome clubs.

And those grips....

Those grips I'm guessing are as much as the set of irons themselves????
[/quote]
Thank you

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Too many putters