2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Need some course recommendations for Ireland

We are all booked for Ireland, May 2014.

I have been to Ireland previously in August of 2008. I wasn't as big into golf then so I only got to play one round(Connemara Golf Club). We toured the west end of the island last time. This time we are landing in Dublin, but no other itinerary is set yet. We will have 8 days to spend on the island. I imagine we will spend 2 or 3 in Dublin.

I am looking to play links courses only, I can play Parkland all day long back here in the States. Unless there's some unbelievable, can't miss Parkland course.

I would really, really love to play Lahinch while we are there but I'm doubtful as to whether we will make it that far. When we drove past it last time I was in Ireland I was in total awe of that course. I had never heard of it at the time.

I am the only golfer in the group so I need to find courses that are somewhat near places where my sisters and their husbands can shop and be tourists while I hit the links. We will be renting a car as well so they'd drop me off at the course.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

G430 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | TM TP Bandon 1 | Pro V1x

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to Dublin next August and the 2 links courses I've booked are Portmarnock (30 mins from Dublin) and the European (1 hr South of Dublin).

You may also want to look at the Island which is also very close to Dublin and Portmarnock. Read good things about it.

Depends where you go from Dublin. Up to Belfast, Portrush and County Down are an hour away from the city.

Thanks guys, I started looking after making the this thread and Portmarnock, European Club and The Island are all prospects for sure.

Not sure whether we will make it North towards Belfast, that's just something we need to discuss yet.

[quote name='shortstop20' timestamp='1387416259' post='8320815']
Thanks guys, I started looking after making the this thread and Portmarnock, European Club and The Island are all prospects for sure.

Not sure whether we will make it North towards Belfast, that's just something we need to discuss yet.
[/quote]

A question that needs to be asked... are green fee prices a factor? For instance, Portmarnock in summer will cost you €200. The European Club isn't far off that. However, Portmarnock Links (nice hotel too if you're still looking for accommodation) is far cheaper than its immediate neighbour. It doesn't have the kudos but it has some great holes and the finish is stunning.

The Island GC is one of my favourites (I'd play it ahead of the Portmarnocks). It'll be over €100 (€125 I think).

Alternatively there's a much smaller, public links named Corballis next door to The Island, which will cost you €20-€30.

If you're heading west, Lahinch village is a lovely place to stay (golfers and tourists and surfers all mix together) but no shopping, as such! For that you'll be looking north to Galway (no links courses nearby), or south to Limerick (ditto). If your 'westerly' plans are still up for debate, Killarney in Co Kerry is a fantastic place and the golf nearby would be Dooks... or you could take a longer spin out the Ring of Kerry Road and play Waterville.

Alternatively, head north west to Sligo where there are lots of excellent value links courses within easy reach.

If you want any further recommendations, let me know. In the meantime, take a look at my Flickr page if you want to see what any of the courses mentioned look like. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmarkham/sets/?&page=1

Good luck

Went to the West and South two years ago...My favorite was Ballybunion Old, followed closely by Lahinch. Waterville very good, but not of the same cut in my opinion.

Also had two rounds at Old Head--one in perfect balmy weather (spectacular!), followed by what our caddy said was the worst day he has ever seen (except days when the course closed)--only 5 players ventured onto the course, our twosome and another group. Never been in a hurricane but it must be similar.

Take GREAT rain gear...I mean GREAT

[quote name='kevinmarkham' timestamp='1387823763' post='8339947']

[/quote]

A question that needs to be asked... are green fee prices a factor? For instance, Portmarnock in summer will cost you €200. The European Club isn't far off that. However, Portmarnock Links (nice hotel too if you're still looking for accommodation) is far cheaper than its immediate neighbour. It doesn't have the kudos but it has some great holes and the finish is stunning.

The Island GC is one of my favourites (I'd play it ahead of the Portmarnocks). It'll be over €100 (€125 I think).

Alternatively there's a much smaller, public links named Corballis next door to The Island, which will cost you €20-€30.

If you're heading west, Lahinch village is a lovely place to stay (golfers and tourists and surfers all mix together) but no shopping, as such! For that you'll be looking north to Galway (no links courses nearby), or south to Limerick (ditto). If your 'westerly' plans are still up for debate, Killarney in Co Kerry is a fantastic place and the golf nearby would be Dooks... or you could take a longer spin out the Ring of Kerry Road and play Waterville.

Alternatively, head north west to Sligo where there are lots of excellent value links courses within easy reach.

If you want any further recommendations, let me know. In the meantime, take a look at my Flickr page if you want to see what any of the courses mentioned look like. [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmarkham/sets/?&page=1"]http://www.flickr.co...m/sets/?&page=1[/url]

Good luck
[/quote]

Green fees aren't really a factor. If I have to drop $1000 US to play 4 courses, that's fine. Lahinch Old and Ballybunion Old are a lock for sure. I just need to decide on two more courses.

I am certainly open to playing cheaper courses if the quality of the golf is as good as the more expensive courses.
Thanks for the tip on The Island GC, it sounds like a great course. I would definitely be interested in making that the course I play while we are in Dublin. Corballis looks like a fun cheap round. I will keep that in mind in case I have time and feel like playing a cheap round.

We have made a rough draft of our travel plans. We will spend 2 days in Dublin, then head SW to Cork, possibly via Waterford. Then over to the Ring of Kerry. Up to Ballybunion :D , over to Limerick, up to Galway, then back to Dublin. 8 days total on the island. We won't make it up to Sligo.

[quote name='stringbean502001' timestamp='1387834457' post='8340817']
Went to the West and South two years ago...My favorite was Ballybunion Old, followed closely by Lahinch. Waterville very good, but not of the same cut in my opinion.

Also had two rounds at Old Head--one in perfect balmy weather (spectacular!), followed by what our caddy said was the worst day he has ever seen (except days when the course closed)--only 5 players ventured onto the course, our twosome and another group. Never been in a hurricane but it must be similar.

[/quote]

Is Old Head really worth the $300 in green fees? How does it compare to the other courses you have played? I'm guessing the premium price is largely because of the amazing views at Old Head.

What do you guys suggest for rain gear? I have none because I don't play in the rain here at home but I'm going to start doing so and certainly won't let rain stop me while I'm in Ireland.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

[quote name='shortstop20' timestamp='1387935845' post='8345585']
[quote name='kevinmarkham' timestamp='1387823763' post='8339947']

[/quote]

If you want any further recommendations, let me know. In the meantime, take a look at my Flickr page if you want to see what any of the courses mentioned look like. [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmarkham/sets/?&page=1"]http://www.flickr.co...m/sets/?&page=1[/url]

Good luck
[/quote]

Green fees aren't really a factor. If I have to drop $1000 US to play 4 courses, that's fine. Lahinch Old and Ballybunion Old are a lock for sure. I just need to decide on two more courses.

I am certainly open to playing cheaper courses if the quality of the golf is as good as the more expensive courses.
Thanks for the tip on The Island GC, it sounds like a great course. I would definitely be interested in making that the course I play while we are in Dublin. Corballis looks like a fun cheap round. I will keep that in mind in case I have time and feel like playing a cheap round.

We have made a rough draft of our travel plans. We will spend 2 days in Dublin, then head SW to Cork, possibly via Waterford. Then over to the Ring of Kerry. Up to Ballybunion :D , over to Limerick, up to Galway, then back to Dublin. 8 days total on the island. We won't make it up to Sligo.

[quote name='stringbean502001' timestamp='1387834457' post='8340817']

[/quote]

Is Old Head really worth the $300 in green fees? How does it compare to the other courses you have played? I'm guessing the premium price is largely because of the amazing views at Old Head.

What do you guys suggest for rain gear? I have none because I don't play in the rain here at home but I'm going to start doing so and certainly won't let rain stop me while I'm in Ireland.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.
[/quote]

Zero Restriction gore tex Golf suit and rain gloves saved my a** last time over there. Extra Socks and Goretex shoes are a must as well. I had Ecco GTX pair with me and i still had to put newspaper in them to help them dry out in my hotel room every night. It rained 7 of ten days in July, it was like the scene in Forrest Gump when he is fighting in the Vietnam war! Ten different kinds of rain and wind swirling it into you sideways. Ballybunion old is a great course and Lahinch is a quirky neat course too. I thought Portmarnock was way overpriced and overrated. Island was alright...very close to hotel we were staying at and reasonably priced compared to other courses we played. My favorites from last trip were Old Head and Waterville..followed by ballybunion, lahinch ,and Tralee. We played Island, Doonbeg also, but i though the others were on a higher tier. I played European Club previous trip and loved it. Same trip we played Portmarnock and that was a huge disappointment after all the hype...Really expensive & overrated in my opinion. If you are going to spend that much drive & Play Old Head instead. Old Head is definitely worth the big fee , because of the cliff views with amazing drops to the ocean...most scenic course i've ever played.

[quote name='sabram' timestamp='1387628417' post='8331281']
[quote name='Shemp' timestamp='1387552479' post='8327653']
We're hitting the Southwest of Ieland in July. We have confirmed tee times at Old Head, Waterville, Lahinch, Tralee, Doonbeg, Dooks, and Ballybunion.
[/quote]

That's a great itinerary. Are Moe and Larry going with you? :-)
[/quote]

+1 that is a great trip...almost identical to my last one..only difference.we didn't get to Dooks. Bring great goretex raingear (Zero Restriction) & ZR Raingloves) and pray to the golf gods for mild weather. We had some monsoon weather last time and i would not have been able to hold onto the club without those ZR Rain Gloves.

We played Ballybunion, Lahinch and Dooks in 2012. While Ballybunion and Lahinch were more challenging and dramatic, we had an equally good time at Dooks. The course was fun, the scenery was spectacular, the staff was great and the caddies were excellent. Also, it is close to Killarney which should provide your non playing group with plenty to do both in town and in the nearby park (hiking was great).

Also, if you have time, we found the Dingle Peninsula to be more scenic and interesting than the Ring of Kerry.

[quote name='Tipsy McHooker' timestamp='1387989062' post='8347011']
[quote name='sabram' timestamp='1387628417' post='8331281']
[quote name='Shemp' timestamp='1387552479' post='8327653']
We're hitting the Southwest of Ieland in July. We have confirmed tee times at Old Head, Waterville, Lahinch, Tralee, Doonbeg, Dooks, and Ballybunion.
[/quote]

That's a great itinerary. Are Moe and Larry going with you? :-)
[/quote]

+1 that is a great trip...almost identical to my last one..only difference.we didn't get to Dooks. Bring great goretex raingear (Zero Restriction) & ZR Raingloves) and pray to the golf gods for mild weather. We had some monsoon weather last time and i would not have been able to hold onto the club without those ZR Rain Gloves.
[/quote]

I forgot also it is imperitive that you get a 68" double canopy "Gustbuster" umbrella. As we were getting doused in 35 mph at Lahinch My dad pulled out a cheapo that immediately inverted and damaged beyond repair. The high winds and rain will be trumped by a gustbuster.

I use Sunice Rain Suits. Goretex. I have a "heavy set" and a "Light Set". Also bring good quality rain gloves, two pairs of waterproof shoes, a dozen or two golf balls (balls are very expensive over there), moleskin (in case of blisters) a goretex bucket hat is great because the rain drains off the back and doesn't slide down your neck.

So do I fly with my clubs or ship them?

Opinions?

[color=#000000][size=3]And if I fly with them, what hardcover [/size][/color][color=#000000][size=3]travel bag do you guys recommend? Needs to hold a standard sized stand bag. [/size][/color]

Its cheaper to bring them on board, than to box up & ship internationally. If you mean plastic by hard sided, two of my friends have Samsonite & SBC travel bags and are pretty happy with them(Until it comes time to put them in rental car trunk, as they cant be folded down to take up less space). I have a Sun Mountain Meridian club glider that is heavily padded/protective but not plastic....they do have a newer Tour version club glider that has a plastic clamshell covering the top of your clubs. The thing i love about this bag is i can push it (Castor wheel system)with one finger thru all the exhaustive lines and journeys within airports travelling. You also can never go wrong with any club glove product. I have never had any problems with clubs being damaged with A Club Glider or Club Glove bag around my sticks & i take three golf trips a year. Ebay usually has used hard plastic cases from $50 to 129 range, make sure they can be locked with a TSA lock...older ones have briefcase(Belt buckle) style locks with keys that are basically worthless for travel.

[quote name='shortstop20' timestamp='1388628375' post='8381965']
So do I fly with my clubs or ship them?

Opinions?

[color=#000000][size=3]And if I fly with them, what hardcover [/size][/color][color=#000000][size=3]travel bag do you guys recommend? Needs to hold a standard sized stand bag. [/size][/color]
[/quote]

Hard sided is good for protection but a pain in the a** for travel in rental cars. Remember, the cars there will be much smaller than in the states.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

People always bang on about the rain over here (I'm Irish and live in the south east), but it's better than Scotland and about the same as England which are the other 'big' links destinations. I play a lot of links golf and rarely get rained on. Good raingear is essential, of course, but don't expect to be rained on every day - if that happens then you're incredibly unlucky, and May is one of the best times to come.

Tom Coyne (A Course Called Ireland) wrote that he got rained on almost non-stop during his travels. I was writing a golf book on Ireland and traveling at the same time as Tom, and I got rained on once. That's 40+ links courses and one round in the rain.

You come to Ireland - you take your chances, but the rain rarely hangs around for long. I'd also add, in contrast to Tipsy's recommendation, an umbrella can be more of a liability than a help. If the wind's up, it's almost pointless having one because you'll get wet either way.

In terms of your clubs... if you're only looking at a couple of rounds of golf, why not avoid the hassle of bringing clubs at all. You can hire them from clubstohire.com (Dublin Airport) and get the latest clubs from between €45 and €60 for a week's hire. I know airlines flying across the Atlantic don't charge for club carriage but it might just save you the extra work involved in packing them up and getting them to the airport. Alternatively, you can hire them from the golf courses themselves, but the choice (and price) won't be as good.

Thanks for the tips on travel bags and TSA locks, I will look into that.

We are now planning on renting a van so space isn't as much of a concern.

Lahinch Old and Ballybunion Old are for sure on my list of courses I will play, but I'm having trouble picking 2-3 more.

I'm thinking The Island near Dublin so I can get a round in while we spend 2-3 days in Dublin......I've heard Portmarnock Golf Club isn't all it's hyped up to be?

I think I will play Dooks for sure since it looks like a great course and a great value.

But I can't decide what other course(or two) to play on the southwest coast. Waterville, Tralee, Doonbeg? I won't be able to play all three.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated!

If you are going to be based out of Dublin for a few days, then The Island is a great choice and for me one of my three favorite courses in Ireland is The European Club down in Wicklow. It's only 45 miles or so from the city center. Fantastic course. Awesome dunes. A couple holes played right beside the beach, making for one long waste bunker :) I don't want to build it up too much, but really for anyone spending time in Dublin I'd highly recommend you don't pass up the chance to play it. They can be busy in the city while you use the car for the two courses.

TBH, I'd skip Cork (apologies those of you from the Peoples Republic) and just bomb down the M7 to the Ring of Kerry/Dingle Peninsula from Dublin. Old Head is an absolute bonkers location for a golf course, but as 18 holes of golf IDK. Played it twice, once back when it cost me 35 punts for a twilight round even and you won't walk a more spectacular piece of property, but any of the top so and so courses would be better golfing options.

Lets assume the following were in:
The Island & The European Club
Dooks
Ballybunion Old & Lahinch Old

If I had to add in one more I'd take Waterville. Another you say? Tralee.

In Dublin you have to go to Mulligan's on Poolbeg St and really really really avoid Temple Bar from 5pm onwards. I lived there for a while and went back a lot to go on the piss with friends. Not the most interesting capital city in Europe architecturally speaking, but a great place to drink :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

It's like any other city's main tourist dining/drinking area. Fri/Sat night it's largely full of idiots that get drunker and drunker as the night wears on.
You also get lots of stag and hen parties (bachelor/bachelorette groups) there. Some neat pubs and restaurants are located there in fairness, but it can get a bit much.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Be careful with your Portmarnock choice. There are two separate courses: "The Links at Portmarnock" (AKA Portmarnock Links) is the Bernhard Langer designed course and sits alongside a big hotel; right alongside is the original Portmarnock, now called Portmarnock Old to differentiate it from Langer's course. The 'Old' one is the course everyone talks about and it costs 3 to 4 times as much to play.

It's not that it is overhyped, it's just a very strategic test of golf. It's not beautiful like Waterville, it's not laced with big dunes like Tralee or Ballybunion - or even The Island - but it is admired hugely because, a) so much of the hole is visible from the tee so you know what is required of you and b) strategy is everything. You have to be on the correct side of the fairway and know what way to play your approaches. A caddie is essential. I've heard people say they weren't impressed, while the person next to them say it's the best they've ever played. If you want a serious challenge give it a go, otherwise, as said, see if you can make it to The European.

Of the three courses mentioned, I'd say Waterville first (for its proximity to Dooks and Killarney), then Doonbeg. Tralee is a huge amount of fun and the back 9 is sensational, but a few bland holes on the front 9 let it down. The fairways are over generous too - possibly down to Arnold Palmer's design. Other courses you could consider on that stretch are Ceann Sibeal on the Dingle peninsula, Ballybunon (Cashen), which is very under-rated IMO, or Lahinch.

BTW - agree with Duffer about Temple Bar. Avoid. A possibility would be to play The Island and then head to Howth for dinner. Some fantastic restaurants (if you like fish), and it's easy for others to reach on the DART, which runs frequently from the centre of town to Howth itself. Closer to Dublin city centre, but away from the bustle, is Ranelagh. Again, a good spot for restaurants.

Thanks Kevin.

I am aware there are two different Portmarnocks. I wondered why Portmarnock Old was so well revered by some and overhyped by other accounts, so what you said makes sense.

I will take those things into consideration.

Also, an Irishman on another golf forum recommended I posts on boards.ie. I see you're a member there as well, so you'll likely see me there at some point. :) Your flickr account pictures are amazing BTW!

[quote name='shortstop20' timestamp='1389332923' post='8433557']
Thanks for the tips on travel bags and TSA locks, I will look into that.

We are now planning on renting a van so space isn't as much of a concern.

Lahinch Old and Ballybunion Old are for sure on my list of courses I will play, but I'm having trouble picking 2-3 more.

I'm thinking The Island near Dublin so I can get a round in while we spend 2-3 days in Dublin......I've heard Portmarnock Golf Club isn't all it's hyped up to be?

I think I will play Dooks for sure since it looks like a great course and a great value.

But I can't decide what other course(or two) to play on the southwest coast. Waterville, Tralee, Doonbeg? I won't be able to play all three.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated!
[/quote]

Waterville best of those three by far. Tralee second. Doonbeg not in the same category, but still fun.

How far ahead of time do I need to book Lahinch and Ballybunion? A month?

I assume I don't need to book real far ahead for the less prestigious courses. Is a week sufficient?

We will be in Ireland from May 16-23rd.