2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tee if Forward: Ego vs Courage?

Sean2

I think teeing it forward can be great fun sometimes; last round I played before weather decided to rear its ugly head was up a set. Even though we are 22 years old a piece and "should" be at the men's tees playing from the senior tees was probably some of the most fun on the course I ever had; it was a nice change of pace feeling like I was a Tour player because I could go driver 8/9 iron on a lot of holes. Made for a really enjoyable day in the AZ sun. :golfer:

TM Tour Burner 9.5* w/NVS S
Cobra Rail-F 15.5 w/Motore S
Taylormade TP '12 3-4 Hyb w/Motore R
Taylormade R7 TP 5-PW w/ TT S300
Odyssey 2-Ball Metal-X - 35"
Taylormade Rac Black TP 52*-56* TT S300

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1390538414' post='8521605']
[quote name='golfdude300' timestamp='1390537807' post='8521561']
Ha ha...Maybe they should just replace the forward markers altogether with a big WELCOME SIGN.
[/quote]

Ha! Along with a cooler filled with frosty beverages. :-)
[/quote]

Don't forget the benches! Having benches only on/near the forward tee. That may attract some new customers.

R11S TP 9*, RIP Phenom, D5, 45.25"
RBZ Tour 14.5*, RIP Phenom, D3, 43"
Baffler Rail-H, 2,3,4, D2, ProForce V2
S59 Tour, 5-PW, KBS Tour +1/4, D2
Vokey 52*, 56*, 59*
Response ZT MI 615, 34.25"

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1390516661' post='8519087']
[quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1390513380' post='8518713']
Takes a lot of courage to go out and play in 30* temps.

Florida is clearly broken, I want my deposit back.
[/quote]

Imagine how cold it would be without Global Warming. :-)
[/quote]

Technically we are in a very cold period when factoring the history of the earth. An interglacial actually

But anyway, on topic. We actually late in the year play from the forward tees sometimes for fun. It can be cool to get so many scoring opportunities. But i think this initiative is more aimed at people who aren't quite as awesome as me and my friends. Take my wife for example, when we were on our honeymoon she ( a pure beginner) would tee up from 100 yards out on every hole regardless of where the tees were. She had a lot of fun....most people don't do stuff like this, even if they are pure beginners. I think some people might have more fun teeing it forward

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1390623484' post='8527713']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Technically we are in a very cold period when factoring the history of the earth. An interglacial actually

But anyway, on topic. We actually late in the year play from the forward tees sometimes for fun. It can be cool to get so many scoring opportunities. But i think this initiative is more aimed at people who aren't quite as awesome as me and my friends. Take my wife for example, when we were on our honeymoon she ( a pure beginner) would tee up from 100 yards out on every hole regardless of where the tees were. She had a lot of fun....most people don't do stuff like this, even if they are pure beginners. I think some people might have more fun teeing it forward
[/quote]

I play few courses here and there that are set up for this, they call them family tees and they are roped off somewhere around 150 out..

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1390617667' post='8527233']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1390605478' post='8526085']
[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1390591544' post='8524779']
I see guys all the time who could stand to move up. Even see the odd one who should move back. As long as they're all keeping pace and not negatively impacting anyone else's game i really don't care which tee they choose. My only issue is when i have to take one for the team and play a miniature version of the course so as not to upset the apple cart.
[/quote]

You have a point. For me, I just hate to see golfers miserable when they could have more fun moving up, but refuse to do so out of some misguided view of what "manliness" is.
[/quote]

If the consensus at golfwrx.com were reality most players would need a shot of courage to move beck a set for fear their index might rise above 9.8. I agree tee it forward has an ego component.
[/quote]

I play golf on my home course 99% of the time...unlimited greens fees...and I play the back tees 70% of the time and the middle tees 30% of the time. You were saying? :-)

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1390623484' post='8527713']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think that's a great idea Jeff. I've seen a few beginners do this and applaud it. :-)

It's not a big problem at my home facility. Few play the back tees.
You might draw a gallery if you go back there.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1390255756' post='8496935']
Over the past couple of months I have been talking to a number of different golfers about this topic. I'm beginning to wonder if it's less about ego and more about courage.

Many of the people I have spoken with seem all for it, but are concerned about what their friends, or the people they are playing golf with, will think if they say they would like to play another set of tees.

Many of these golfers get frustrated hitting woods or hybrids into par four's, or hitting the same clubs on par three's. However, they also find that moving up a tee box, while their friends, or the people they are paired with, are playing back even more daunting.

For example, last year I went to a muni I haven't played in a few years. The scorecard indicated they had senior tees. I said to myself, "Hey, I'm a senior, I'll give it a go."

I went to the first tee and there were three gentlemen there: a twosome and another single, all around my age. One of the twosome asked me what tees I would be playing. I said the senior tees. In a stentorian voice he said, "We always play the blues." He turned to the other single and asked, "What about you?" You could see guy really struggling with this one. "Are you really going to play the senior tees?" he asked me. "Yeah," I responded. He decided to join me.

The "blues brothers" proceeded to enjoy the entire course, perhaps shooting in the mid-90s. The other single was very excited: "I've never reached that hole in regulation; never used an iron on that par three; never had two birdies before; shot my personal best; never had so much fun," etc. He told me I had a lot of "*alls" to play the senior tees, and in the past he always played the blue tees.

This happened on a couple of occasions (whites instead of blues). In any case, it seems a number of golfers don't tee it forward because they are afraid to. Afraid what their friends will say. Afraid what the people they are paired with will say.

So perhaps many golfers don't tee it forward not because of their egos, but simply because they don't have the cojones to do so.

The irony here is that maybe everyone in the group may want to move up, but no has the cojones to suggest it. Or, maybe I'm wrong. Or, perhaps a bit of both.

I play what ever tee boxes I want. I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. I'm amazed at how "fragile" some golfers are.

In any case, may I kindly suggest that some golfers "grow a pair" and move up a tee box or so. :-)

ps: I hope I don't offend anyone with this thread, that wasn't my intention. If I do, I apologize.
[/quote]

Ego and Courage?,,,
I will agree that most golfers have a much over inflated ego and hurt themselves because they don't have a clue!

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1390623848' post='8527753']
I see guys all the time who could stand to move up. Even see the odd one who should move back. As long as they're all keeping pace and not negatively impacting anyone else's game i really don't care which tee they choose. My only issue is when i have to take one for the team and play a miniature version of the course so as not to upset the apple cart.
[/quote]

You have a point. For me, I just hate to see golfers miserable when they could have more fun moving up, but refuse to do so out of some misguided view of what "manliness" is.
[/quote]

If the consensus at golfwrx.com were reality most players would need a shot of courage to move beck a set for fear their index might rise above 9.8. I agree tee it forward has an ego component.
[/quote]

I play golf on my home course 99% of the time...unlimited greens fees...and I play the back tees 70% of the time and the middle tees 30% of the time. You were saying? :-)
[/quote]

Is everything in the golf world a microcosm of your game? There are a ton of guys on this forum - not just this thread - who would never consider challenging themselves by occasionally playing a course from the tips. They tend to talk about someone being scratch from a certain set of tees and goofball stuff like that. I usually keep my thoughts to myself in those discussions. Gonna go back to that.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1390661209' post='8529191']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1390623848' post='8527753']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Is everything in the golf world a microcosm of your game? There are a ton of guys on this forum - not just this thread - who would never consider challenging themselves by occasionally playing a course from the tips. They tend to talk about someone being scratch from a certain set of tees and goofball stuff like that. I usually keep my thoughts to myself in those discussions. Gonna go back to that.
[/quote]

AB, are you saying that handicaps are only legitimate if the golfer only plays from the back tees?

By the way, by your first question I wonder if you understand what I'm trying to say? Golf world a microcosm of my game? :-)

[/quote]

[color=#800080]I am a girl ands i play every tee. After tournaments , i moves way up as i needs a nice mentally relaxed rounds. I haves shot 72 froms 6,800 yards , 75 froms 5,800 yards , 60 froms 5,000 yards , 65 froms 6,100 yards , 78 froms 5,300 yards , etc.[/color]

[color=#800080]What i gets froms these posts are once you haves the abilities to shoot lower froms forward tees , it is a great *steppings stone* for learning course managements ands stuffs. Ands those that thinks they shoulds be playing just the back tees try to justify it to everybody. If movings back is a challenge , move up ands challenge yourself to break par. Might nots be that easy.[/color]

[quote name='goobers80' timestamp='1390697847' post='8532749']
[/quote]

[color=#800080]I am a girl ands i play every tee. After tournaments , i moves way up as i needs a nice mentally relaxed rounds. I haves shot 72 froms 6,800 yards , 75 froms 5,800 yards , 60 froms 5,000 yards , 65 froms 6,100 yards , 78 froms 5,300 yards , etc.[/color]

[color=#800080]What i gets froms these posts are once you haves the abilities to shoot lower froms forward tees , it is a great *steppings stone* for learning course managements ands stuffs. Ands those that thinks they shoulds be playing just the back tees try to justify it to everybody. If movings back is a challenge , move up ands challenge yourself to break par. Might nots be that easy.[/color]
[/quote]

Well said Sam. :-)

[quote name='goobers80' timestamp='1390697847' post='8532749']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice job - a couple course records in there I'd bet. You may not appreciate others' opinions when they don't routinely shoot under par, but I have one regardless. Playing a longer course may result in higher scores, but thats why amateurs have handicaps. Shooting 70 on a course rated at 62 is better to some than an 80 at a course rated 74. Who am I to say they're wrong? It's their money.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

[color=#800080]I do nots care what you shoot , just i am tired of watchings guys struggle froms 7,000 yards and start getting angry and slamming stuffs. Learn how to golf first by making it easier. Common sense to me.[/color]

[color=#800080]We are nots posting to those others. My scores were a points that once you learn how to really get arounds a course , moves back. Guys are pissy when they play bad , but driver thens hybrid is nots going to help thems.[/color]

[color=#800080]As i saids before , i will take a 82 at Merion over any score i hads this year. The rating was high.[/color]

[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1390595554' post='8525145']
[quote name='bellview17' timestamp='1390594838' post='8525065']
I always play the 6000 boxes, whatever color they are. I don't care about the others in
my group, I hit the ball 260-275, and enjoy the game and take my 78-82 each time.
My regular group plays from 3 different tees, Back, mid and ladies(seniors sometimes) and we all enjoy
the round.
[/quote]Nice scoring, and wise tee choices!
[/quote]
thank you.

I've always found it strange how people are scared of how others might perceive them. My course is 6,800 yards from the medal tees, and still everyone seems to insist on playing from those tees even though they admit they can only hit 2 or 3 greens in regulation at best from there. I play off the ladies tees sometimes for the fun of it, regardless of all the smack talk. It's a great wedge play exercise, plus it's fun to go real low sometimes.

When I get to a new course I check the yardages for the par 4´s and then choose the tees with an average of around 360 yards. That´s driver+7 iron for me and usually mean that I can reach all holes in regulation if I hit the fairway.

I play a lot and last year I probably walked my home course around 80 times, often 27-36 holes in a day. When playing that much at the same course you kind of have to try all the different tees just to keep the course interesting.

A friend of mine that I play with a lot switched home course last year to a much longer course, but he refuses to even try to tee it forward even though the mens tees there is around 800 yards longer than on our previous home course. He can´t hit most greens in regulation even if he hits a perfect drive and that takes all of the fun out of the game for me. The best feeling in golf is to stick a good iron shot into the green and if you can´t reach a lot of the holes with irons after perfect drives then I rather do something else than play golf.

Ping G25 12* Driver
Ping Rapture 17* and Ping K15 19* woods
Ping G20 23* hybrid
Ping G25 5-PW irons
Ping Tour Gorge wedges 50*SS/56*WS/60*SS
SeeMore FGP Original putter

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread and a topic I've been thinking about a lot lately. After starting golf again last season for the first time in 15 years, I have decided to move up to the reds this year. I saw exactly what another member mentioned about Sam Snead saying to play the front tees until you can hit par. I finished the season last year with an average around 84 from varying courses and I'm only 30 with my driving average around 265. But it makes a tremendous amount of sense. You don't learn how to drive on an F1 car no matter how cool it would be. Until I can not suck at my mid irons and keep my drives in the short grass, screw the ego, learn to play the game appropriately, and maybe, just maybe be a good example to someone else.... My two cents.

Do you not know that in a race all the
runners run, but only one gets the
prize? Run in such a way as to get the
prize.

I always play the tees that are about 6500 yards whatever color they may be. That is long enough for me.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1390593405' post='8524957']
[quote name='BenR' timestamp='1390592830' post='8524903']
Tee it forward?? But I drive it 300 every time.
[/quote]I wonder what your hc is BenR? if it's about 12 or under, the back tees seem like a good place to be. Any higher, it might be a good idea to play a little forward and gear your swing for straightness over distance. It's been said that "golf is a game of straight, not a game of distance". If a particular golfer hits it 300 yards, but often into trouble, what good is the 300 yards? Not saying that's you, just making a general statement.
[/quote]Great post!!

Though I've been away from competitive golf for a while, I'm pretty sure that they're still are no boxes on the card for driver distance-

Sam, Arnie & Mr. Penick, and granted, they're not gospel, though I agree with their thoughts about breaking 80 consistently from a set of tees before moving back, though I think that Sam was a little hard core cuz he said that you should be at par before ya move back.

I love when a guy says, "yea, I'm a 16, but it's from the tips,";) LMAO

"oh....ok....," LMAO

Now, THAT is epic, LMAO!!!!

Nice post Tom-

Have a great season

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Knoc428' timestamp='1391893611' post='8624859']
This is a great thread and a topic I've been thinking about a lot lately. After starting golf again last season for the first time in 15 years, I have decided to move up to the reds this year. I saw exactly what another member mentioned about Sam Snead saying to play the front tees until you can hit par. I finished the season last year with an average around 84 from varying courses and I'm only 30 with my driving average around 265. But it makes a tremendous amount of sense. You don't learn how to drive on an F1 car no matter how cool it would be. Until I can not suck at my mid irons and keep my drives in the short grass, screw the ego, learn to play the game appropriately, and maybe, just maybe be a good example to someone else.... My two cents.
[/quote]Excellent philosophy & excellent post Sir!

Welcome to the forum :)

Have a great season

Fairways & Greens My friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Knoc428' timestamp='1391893611' post='8624859']
[/quote]

Well done Knoc428. A very admirable and sensible approach to the game. I think it will make a you a much better golfer in the long run.

And, Welcome to GolfWRX! :-)

Thank you for the warm welcome guys. And being one of those in the younger category, I can honestly say that ego is a HUGE part of it. As a for instance, I have requested 5 of my closest friends come golfing with me for my birthday this year. Combined between all 5 there are a total of 18 holes of golf played. When they reluctantly agreed to my birthday wish, I told them we were all playing from the womens tees. You would think I had just asked for them all to sign me into their will. From a group of all 30 year old men who have never played golf, I actually received kick back about playing the womens tees. Ego? Yes. My brothers in arms, also, yes. Now if I can only get some extended clubs for two of them... Might be able to make hacks out them yet. :-)

Do you not know that in a race all the
runners run, but only one gets the
prize? Run in such a way as to get the
prize.

Sean, what about these suggestions,

[b]PGA of America/USGA Recommendations[/b]
In 2011, the PGA of America and USGA issued a set of recommendations designed to encourage golfers to play from appropriate yardages. These guidelines are based on golfers' average driving distance. So find your driving distance, then see what yardage these two organizations recommend.
[b]Avg. drive[/b] - [b]Recommended Tees[/b]
300 yards - 7,150-7,400 yards
275 yards - 6,700-6,900 yards
250 yards - 6,200-6,400 yards
225 yards - 5,800-6,000 yards
200 yards - 5,200-5,400 yards
175 yards - 4,400-4,600 yards
150 yards - 3,500-3,700 yards
125 yards - 2,800-3,000 yards
100 yards - 2,100-2,300 yards

[b]Another Suggestion[/b]
Here's another general guideline for choosing the distance at which to play a golf course: Take your average 5-iron distance (be honest!), multiply by 36, and choose the tees that most closely match that yardage. Example: You hit your 5-iron 150 yards. So 150 times 36 equals 5,400. Choose the tees closest to 5,400 yards in length.

--------------------

Personally, I like the 5-iron formula. My 185 yard 5-iron works out to a 6,660 yard course, which is a good starting point. I like to play courses from 6,400 to 6,700 yards for the variety of approach shots and par 3 lengths. For me, a 6,000 yard course is boring. Driver and then wedge or short iron every hole is no challenge and gets old.

But I see people playing the wrong tees all the time. Usually they are people that don't play a lot and either don't know which tees to play or think blue tees are for the "men". Guys that have been playing a long time are often using the correct set of tees, but sometimes have a hard time moving up when age creeps up on them and they just don't hit it far enough any more. I don't think it take courage to move up a box, it's more like enlightenment.

[quote name='golferdrmjr' timestamp='1391963120' post='8629175']
Sean, what about these suggestions,

[b]Another Suggestion[/b]
Here's another general guideline for choosing the distance at which to play a golf course: Take your average 5-iron distance (be honest!), multiply by 36, and choose the tees that most closely match that yardage. Example: You hit your 5-iron 150 yards. So 150 times 36 equals 5,400. Choose the tees closest to 5,400 yards in length.

Personally, I like the 5-iron formula. My 185 yard 5-iron works out to a 6,660 yard course, which is a good starting point. I like to play courses from 6,400 to 6,700 yards for the variety of approach shots and par 3 lengths. For me, a 6,000 yard course is boring. Driver and then wedge or short iron every hole is no challenge and gets old.
[/quote]
Interesting, I hit my 5 iron about 180, and my driver about 230.
5 iron = 180 x 36 = 6480 yards
Driver = 230 = 6000-6200 yards (I feel comfortable in this range)