2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Game Golf tracking system (merged)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jdl' timestamp='1437487134' post='11991654']
As long as you know which tag is with which club, it doesn't really matter what's stamped on the plastic. But it does make it easier if they are read-able.
[/quote]

But if I give a handful of unreadable tags to someone, can they be manually assigned? So in other words, what used to say PW (now unreadable) assign it to a 5 iron?

I made the mistake of taking the tags off without labeling them first. Now I think I'll go tag and marker/label them one by one in a "faux" round of golf to get the tag numbers back on them.

EDIT - That was super easy - Just put tape on each one and labeled them A, B C etc - went out the back door on the golf course and walked a big circle, tagging every 5 - 10 yards, downloaded the round and viola. A=9, B=5, C=4, D=7 etc.

I added this with respect to active and non active clubs and sorting within the bag on the website if anyone is interested.

Just found it cumbersome when changing tags and the lcubs being all over the place :S

[url="http://myexperience.gamegolf.com/forums/236342-feature-requests/suggestions/8952181-be-able-to-sort-the-tags-clubs-in-golf-bag"]http://myexperience....ubs-in-golf-bag[/url]

very good idea

I have two sets of clubs and about 15 putters, 10 wedges, and 4 drivers. would love to have them not in the way of my current irons that I play

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='mulliganman30' timestamp='1437765608' post='12013844']
May not be possible but I wish it would record missed putts as missed left, missed right, etc. and incorporate that into the insights...
[/quote]

The one hiccup I could see with that is it doesn't take into account the break of the putt ... besides the fact the pins aren't accurately located in the system unless you are really accurate in setting up your pin positions. If the greens were flat it might be possible. I would suggest tracking that on your scorecard... something like putt was up-right/down-left, missed to right and short. Maybe use arrows on the card for slope of 1st putt and then letters for the miss?

[quote name='jdl' timestamp='1435758548' post='11868480']
Re-gripped my clubs and noticed 3 or 4 tags were worn down so that there's no identifier left. Had to mark them with a pen to make sure they got put back on the correct clubs. :)
[/quote]
I have worn the identifier off all my tags too - I have tried to write on them with a marker any time I move one but I now have a few that are useless unless I find some way of identifying them? - Maybe the app could have some sort of scanning facility so that you can check what each tag is with a quick scan? - Otherwise I will have to put the "rogue" ones into a club & make a note of what each is while I use them on a few holes - I have 79 rounds on my GG by the way ... Paul

TaylorMade P770 5-PW c/w Shimada Tour Lite Stiff 
Mizuno MP-T22 49* 54* 58* 
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 10.5* Driver c/w MRC Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR 60s
PXG 3 5 7 Woods 
PXG Closer Putter

[quote name='PaulBoy' timestamp='1437935321' post='12022646']
I have worn the identifier off all my tags too - I have tried to write on them with a marker any time I move one but I now have a few that are useless unless I find some way of identifying them? - Maybe the app could have some sort of scanning facility so that you can check what each tag is with a quick scan? - Otherwise I will have to put the "rogue" ones into a club & make a note of what each is while I use them on a few holes - I have 79 rounds on my GG by the way ... Paul
[/quote]

I have thought about taking mine out of the clubs and writing numbers 1 thru 18 on the underside hoping it wouldn't wear off. Then I would keep a little note that correlates the "number" of the tag to a club, such as 1=driver / 2=3W / etc.

[quote name='phil75070' timestamp='1437951134' post='12023834']
[quote name='PaulBoy' timestamp='1437935321' post='12022646']
[/quote]

I have thought about taking mine out of the clubs and writing numbers 1 thru 18 on the underside hoping it wouldn't wear off. Then I would keep a little note that correlates the "number" of the tag to a club, such as 1=driver / 2=3W / etc.
[/quote]
Whatever you write on them with will also rub off in my experience - There must be another way of permanently marking them? - Anyone?
Paul

TaylorMade P770 5-PW c/w Shimada Tour Lite Stiff 
Mizuno MP-T22 49* 54* 58* 
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 10.5* Driver c/w MRC Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR 60s
PXG 3 5 7 Woods 
PXG Closer Putter

I don't understand why the front-page of the Game Golf website shows a guy golfing with TAGS on his clubs yet he is pulling out his phone and tagging each shot manually (with his hands). Frankly, this is a turn off I think for the product. It should show him tagging to his phone!

I could tagging manually being marketed in some app-related video, but this is on the front page of gamegolf.com.

https://www.gamegolf.com/home/en-us?v=f9bedff

I would think (and I will probably try as mine are starting to wear enough where I cannot distinguish) that a certain type of paint or nail polish could be used right? I mean peoplpe use it for paint fill on bottom of clubs and it seems to hold up pretty well from being beat into the ground? maybe not though haha

Forever Changing at this point.......

My first two trials with NFC Tags and Android app have been a disaster, and I'm so sad about that because I want to love Game Golf and not have to return the product.

The first time out, I had the Proximity Sensor setting turned ON. I'd leave GG on its own "locked" screen, but the problem was that any time I took my phone out of my pocket, I'd find it randomly opened to another app or menu. Movement in my pocket was causing me to essentially leave the app.

So in my next round, today, I tried using the app with the Proximity Sensor turned OFF. I was hopeful because GG would stay in the app even with the phone in my pocket, however the movement in my pocket was now advancing holes because that button is easily pushed while the phone rumbles around in my pocket. so unknowingly I'd tag a shot to some random hole. This caused a lot of frustration and I had to ditch using game golf altogether after 9 holes. This is not the experience I expected after spending $108 on Tags.

Anyone else experience this? I'm on Samsung Galaxy S5.

I'm going to test out apps from the app store that block touch input but that seems like a crazy work around.

[quote name='Jbardet' timestamp='1438499474' post='12062956']
My first two trials with NFC Tags and Android app have been a disaster, and I'm so sad about that because I want to love Game Golf and not have to return the product.

The first time out, I had the Proximity Sensor setting turned ON. I'd leave GG on its own "locked" screen, but the problem was that any time I took my phone out of my pocket, I'd find it randomly opened to another app or menu. Movement in my pocket was causing me to essentially leave the app.

So in my next round, today, I tried using the app with the Proximity Sensor turned OFF. I was hopeful because GG would stay in the app even with the phone in my pocket, however the movement in my pocket was now advancing holes because that button is easily pushed while the phone rumbles around in my pocket. so unknowingly I'd tag a shot to some random hole. This caused a lot of frustration and I had to ditch using game golf altogether after 9 holes. This is not the experience I expected after spending $108 on Tags.

I'm going to test out apps from the app store that block touch input but that seems like a crazy work around.
[/quote]
108?

man the BST has had some units lately for just a bit more (one was 110 the other day)

[quote name='phil75070' timestamp='1438520301' post='12063448']
I would certainly contact their customer service about the problems with the App. Maybe they can either make some kind of fix or give you some ideas as to how to avoid the problems you are having. I had an issue with their belt clip and they were very responsive.
[/quote]

Yeah I emailed them. I also found on the play store an app that can temporarily block touch input but still accepts NFC tagging. This might be a promising workaround.

[quote name='Papa Johick' timestamp='1438527109' post='12063856']
[quote name='Jbardet' timestamp='1438499474' post='12062956']

[/quote]
108?

man the BST has had some units lately for just a bit more (one was 110 the other day)
[/quote]

The Android version is $100 - it's just tags. The iPhone version, with belt clip, is what you're thinking of.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

huh? The app for android is 100?

That is still a waste. Like I said, there has been units for GG on the BST for barely more than that. Doesn't have to be used with a phone android or iphone. The only differences between the apps is that the android can tag with the tags where as the iPhone doesnt have that capability yet, but the belt clip and unit isn't specific to any type of phone software.

For those who couldn't play with a phone in their pocket for Arccos, was it a lot easier to get used to a device on your belt? I am torn on which device to purchase(paypal funds are burning a hole in my pocket).

Titleist TSR3 8° Tensei Pro Orange 1K 60TX
Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 921 Tours w/ Mitsubishi MMT TX125
Taylormade MG3 50.9/56.12 (TW)/60.11 (TW) w/ Mitsubishi MMT S125

Scotty Cameron Craftsman Squareback Proto 33.5"

The only problem I had with the belt unit was it falling off, not so much the getting used to it part. The belt clip isn't tight enough and it has no "lip" on it that would wrap around the belt and since you "tag" the club by tapping up on the bottom of the device it isn't really all that secure. I contacted customer service and they were kind enough to send me a new clip which was easy to swap out but it was really no different that the clip that was originally on my unit. I ended up using on of those universal cell phone belt clips, the kind where you are given a "button" to place on the back of the device itself that then "clicks" into place. That worked fine except for the fact that the device would then swivel.

So I turned the clip around and used 3M DualLoc strips. Works like a charm and is very secure. - rwnrlk.jpg

[quote name='phil75070' timestamp='1438805297' post='12084772']
The only problem I had with the belt unit was it falling off, not so much the getting used to it part. The belt clip isn't tight enough and it has no "lip" on it that would wrap around the belt and since you "tag" the club by tapping up on the bottom of the device it isn't really all that secure. I contacted customer service and they were kind enough to send me a new clip which was easy to swap out but it was really no different that the clip that was originally on my unit. I ended up using on of those universal cell phone belt clips, the kind where you are given a "button" to place on the back of the device itself that then "clicks" into place. That worked fine except for the fact that the device would then swivel.
[/quote]

Just wanted to mention that as it works on NFC you dont have to tap it\push it against the bottom of the device. It just has to be put within the vicinity of the device at the bottom (within 1 or 2 cm). I had the same problem as you but once I found a good way to do it without touching the device it hasn't come off since.

Now if I put it on the wrong spot on my belt then we are talking a whole different ball game when I bend over to pick up my ball or squat to read putting line. Found it a few times in my jacket and off my belt (winter here in Aus) so luckily haven't lost it yet *knock on wood*

I have also put it in my jacket pocket and used in there when I am worried it is going to drop off.

I posted this earlier in this thread but a great way to ensure the unit doesn't fall off your belt is slipping a wrist strap for a small camera over the clip part.

The small loop is big enough to stretch over the clip but small enough that there is no way for it to come loose once it's over.

Feed the large loop thru between your belt and your pants and feed the unit thru the loop before attaching to your belt.

If the clip comes off the unit will just dangle from the lanyard on your belt

nikon-an-cp19-wrist-strap-for-coolpix-camera_2.jpg

OK, I admit it. It's pure vanity- but still.

Some fellow who plays one of the courses I play started following me (which is OK.) Out of curiosity I looked at a round he posted because his score was 3 strokes lower than my best ever round on the course, and I have been in the #1 spot for best rounds on that track. Well, his 68 on the par 73 course had some holes that looked like this: Putter, putter, driver 389 yards, lob wedge 50 yards for a birdie. Other holes were equally as goofy so it was clear he doesn't have a clue how to use the system which really isn't any of my business - except he is now #1 on the best rounds list for the course.

Yes, pure vanity on my part.

http://www.gamegolf.com/golfcourse/6748. Look at the lowest round for a chuckle.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I have been playing again after a long hiatus... and now I forget to tag about half my shots..

Thats aggravating....

makes for a long round edit session

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

First off, let me say I have the device and have been using. My question is has anyone done an in-depth comparison between Game Golf and the Arccos system. saw over at Golfspy they awarded the Arccos system the Most Wanted of these type of systems. I was surprised by that due to the fact it looks like the Arccos requires an Iphone to use (if I am understanding correctly). It seems they also claim it had better data than Game Golf. That's why I am asking what I am asking. Would love to hear from folks who have done in-depth comparisons of both.

I dont know about you, but my club doesnt care about the rules of a cell phone use durng tournament play. about half of my usually group (about 3-4 foursomes) uses a gps device or thier phone during the rounds, including tournament play. The biggest drawback to me about the arccos system is that it requires batteries in the club markers and requires you to carry your phone. I cant play with stuff in my pockets.. making it unusable for me. Took me forever to get used to using a GPS watch. Took me no time to adjust to the Game golf on my belt. I would love to support fellow gator and Ping player Billy Horschel, but can go there with that one. Gotta stick to my GameGolf. I know that is not what you were asking for. But was just giving my reasoning of why i stuck

I dont see how much more usable data it could give.

Fairways (as measured by GPS)
Greens
Scrambling
putts per round (GPS is not accurate enough to give any more stats than that, and it would also require the flagsticks be perfectly placed on the green)
Distances per Club
who else plays your course and courses around you
comments
great customer service

Im sure that the other system has the same stuff, but I can't imagine (given the ability of GPS accuracy allowed) that the arccos system could be all that much better, if not just another way of getting the same information

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='Ping Gator' timestamp='1438869736' post='12089036']
I dont know about you, but my club doesnt care about the rules of a cell phone use durng tournament play. about half of my usually group (about 3-4 foursomes) uses a gps device or thier phone during the rounds, including tournament play. The biggest drawback to me about the arccos system is that it requires batteries in the club markers and requires you to carry your phone. I cant play with stuff in my pockets.. making it unusable for me. Took me forever to get used to using a GPS watch. Took me no time to adjust to the Game golf on my belt. I would love to support fellow gator and Ping player Billy Horschel, but can go there with that one. Gotta stick to my GameGolf. I know that is not what you were asking for. But was just giving my reasoning of why i stuck

I dont see how much more usable data it could give.

Fairways (as measured by GPS)
Greens
Scrambling
putts per round (GPS is not accurate enough to give any more stats than that, and it would also require the flagsticks be perfectly placed on the green)
Distances per Club
who else plays your course and courses around you
comments
great customer service

Im sure that the other system has the same stuff, but I can imagine (given the ability of GPS accuracy allowed) that the arccos system could be all that much better, if not just another way of getting the same information
[/quote]

Arccos also takes 2 1/2 sw off each club...

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

I purchased Game Golf Tags and use with my Android device (Galaxy s5).

Been pretty disappointed because the GG app's "Lock screen" doesn't really lock down my screen from touch input. Phone movement in my pocket often bypasses the GG lock screen and when I go to tag, I wouldn't feel the buzz from the tag. I pull out my phone and low and behold some other app or setting menu is open, or the GG app has advanced to some random hole.

I tried today powering on/off my phone's screen in between tagging, and it was a little tedious. Now I'm left wondering if it's all even necessary.... seeing every shot mapped out on the course. What does that do for me, really? It's sexy, but I feel like the cool factor might wear off pretty soon?

Courses around me are all windy (sf bay area) so "average distances" generally don't mean much. I have an android wear watch and maybe the best would be to use Golfshot to track full shots in non windy conditions.

[quote name='npham' timestamp='1438748805' post='12081176']
For those who couldn't play with a phone in their pocket for Arccos, was it a lot easier to get used to a device on your belt? I am torn on which device to purchase(paypal funds are burning a hole in my pocket).
[/quote]

For me, the device is small/light enough that I don't notice it.

[quote name='josephs_79' timestamp='1438811482' post='12085330']
Just wanted to mention that as it works on NFC you dont have to tap it\push it against the bottom of the device. It just has to be put within the vicinity of the device at the bottom (within 1 or 2 cm). I had the same problem as you but once I found a good way to do it without touching the device it hasn't come off since.
[/quote]

I know the technology is supposed to work that way, but it hasn't been my experience. For me to get a buzz/light indicating a successful tag, I usually have to tap the device, even then it doesn't always register.