2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Game Golf tracking system (merged)

[quote name='jdl' timestamp='1438967860' post='12096406']
[quote name='npham' timestamp='1438748805' post='12081176']
For those who couldn't play with a phone in their pocket for Arccos, was it a lot easier to get used to a device on your belt? I am torn on which device to purchase(paypal funds are burning a hole in my pocket).
[/quote]

For me, the device is small/light enough that I don't notice it.

[quote name='josephs_79' timestamp='1438811482' post='12085330']
Just wanted to mention that as it works on NFC you dont have to tap it\push it against the bottom of the device. It just has to be put within the vicinity of the device at the bottom (within 1 or 2 cm). I had the same problem as you but once I found a good way to do it without touching the device it hasn't come off since.
[/quote]

I know the technology is supposed to work that way, but it hasn't been my experience. For me to get a buzz/light indicating a successful tag, I usually have to tap the device, even then it doesn't always register.
[/quote]

I used GG before I switched to Arccos, and my experience was the same as josephs_79. I didn't have to physically tap it, just get the tag close. Several times I had a light coat or pullover on and it registered through them just fine.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Taylormade M2[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Nike Sumo 3w, 5w[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Nike CPR 26*[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged, 5-PW[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Cleveland 588 RTX 50,54,58[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Futura X7M DB[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Precision Pro NX7 Pro[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Arccos Game Tracker[/size][/font][/color]

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Enfynet' timestamp='1438969440' post='12096560']
Has anyone objectively compared Game Golf to GolfPadGPS?
[/quote]

I can only say that the in-app lock screen functionality, on which NFC Tagging relies, is far superior in GolfPad GPS. They did a great job, whereas Game Golf's app is almost unusable with NFC tags, at least with my samsung galaxy s5.

[quote name='mulliganman30' timestamp='1438866521' post='12088712']
First off, let me say I have the device and have been using. My question is has anyone done an in-depth comparison between Game Golf and the Arccos system. saw over at Golfspy they awarded the Arccos system the Most Wanted of these type of systems. I was surprised by that due to the fact it looks like the Arccos requires an Iphone to use (if I am understanding correctly). It seems they also claim it had better data than Game Golf. That's why I am asking what I am asking. Would love to hear from folks who have done in-depth comparisons of both.
[/quote]

You can view the stats Arccos has yourself. They have a demo account. One thing that is certainly better is that they have 'handicap' for each cattegory (driver, approach, putting) etc for each round and averaged over all rounds. But apart from that I like the gg stats better. More filters etc.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='npham' timestamp='1438748805' post='12081176']
For those who couldn't play with a phone in their pocket for Arccos, was it a lot easier to get used to a device on your belt? I am torn on which device to purchase(paypal funds are burning a hole in my pocket).
[/quote]

Thin belts are definitely MUCH easier to use with the GPS device. One time I forgot my golf belt at home and had to wear my work belt... thing fell off a couple times. But luckily It was always when I swiped it with my arm so it was noticeable.

I know I've posted this before but here's another example of why GG is just flat out ignoring a good % of shots into the green. The "corners" of the box I've posted is the difference between the square (sides, 30 yds) and their "circle" (diameter 30 yards). Anything in those corners, which amounts to @ 22% of the total area of that square - those shots are completely ignored and not counted in your GG stats at all. Those shots are considered neither long, short, right or left. Or in. They are simply ignored.

Which is absurd. If you have even more shots that just barely miss the green - they arent being account for at all in your approach stats. In the above shot for example, I would consider that "long" and "left" if I had to choose from their current construct.

I continue to use it for recording rounds and shot distances but just cant really rely on the stats.

Dont know what the solution is for them - maybe changing the "green" to a square - but just ignoring all of these shots certainly isnt the best nor the most accurate way.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

Cally Rogue ST Max 3w - Ventus Blue 6s

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I agree that there're a few "location" errors when tagging shots. But, I think it's easy to adjust when I edit a round. I know if I hit/missed a fairway or green and move the shot to the correct spot.

Overall I'm really happy with the belt clip version of GG. I haven't had any problems with it falling off, tagging is a seamless part of my routine, and editing is easy. GG has shown me strengths and weaknesses in my game.

The companie's customer support is excellent. A few times I've contacted them about courses that were redone. They quickly had their map updated. Two weeks ago, my device stopped vibrating when I tagged a shot. They immediately shipped a replacement.

A few friends purchased Arrcos this year. All of them have stopped using it. The Bluetooth connection would disconnect during a round, and having to carry clubs a certain way was a hassle.

I still use mine, but I find tagging sometimes to be uh, forgotten.

but I always get back to the house and it seems to register the shots with the motion detector..

most of the stuff is accurate... so I dont even worry if I catch myself getting in the cart and I forgot.. I just head to the next shot.

I have even gone a whole round and only tagged a handful.. it was a longer edit time but was not that big of a deal.

Still happy.. I get pissy when I forget that sucker though...

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1440346094' post='12193752']
I agree that there're a few "location" errors when tagging shots. But, I think it's easy to adjust when I edit a round.
[/quote]

The issue I have has nothing to do with location errors and is simply a glaring error in the way they are calculating the statistics.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

Cally Rogue ST Max 3w - Ventus Blue 6s

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1440725481' post='12221646']
I lost my GG issued USB cable. I had one with the same connector for an old phone, it charges the device, but it won't transfer the data. Has anyone had success using an alternative cable?
[/quote]

I have not tried but I bet the cable you tried is just for charging, i.e. has 5V wires connected and not the data cables. Just get a proper mini-USB cable and you should be fine.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

I'm using a generic mini-USB cable and it works fine. At least I think it isnt the OEM one as my daughter has swapped all my cables out multiple times. It's possible it is the GG one but I dont think so.

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1440538167' post='12207734']
[quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1440346094' post='12193752']
I agree that there're a few "location" errors when tagging shots. But, I think it's easy to adjust when I edit a round.
[/quote]

The issue I have has nothing to do with location errors and is simply a glaring error in the way they are calculating the statistics.
[/quote]

Have you post this on their wish list board? It sounds like it is a programming problem that could easily be fixed.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Im using a generic mini USB data cable as well...

I dint know that a mini USB cable could be anything other than a data cable, but that being said, it makes sense that they would make one that would carry only power, and one that only would carry the data. would make it cheaper for whomever was including it with a device

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Holy Crap it was ugly today.... I don't even want to upload my round... KILLED the driver... sucked at everything else

Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='AndyP' timestamp='1441369164' post='12262190']
I'd quite like to be able to edit how for a shot went off the fairway. So for instance if I know the ball was 2 yards off the fairway to the right, to be able to edit the shot with "2 R" or similar. ATM it's a bit of a guess as the fairways are not marked very accurately on my course.
[/quote]
Have a look at this http://myexperience.gamegolf.com/forums/236342-feature-requests/suggestions/8681566-fairway-stats-with-buffer-zone-e-g-first-cut

That might be what you want

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1441486178' post='12268864']
[quote name='AndyP' timestamp='1441369164' post='12262190']
I'd quite like to be able to edit how for a shot went off the fairway. So for instance if I know the ball was 2 yards off the fairway to the right, to be able to edit the shot with "2 R" or similar. ATM it's a bit of a guess as the fairways are not marked very accurately on my course.
[/quote]
Have a look at this [url="http://myexperience.gamegolf.com/forums/236342-feature-requests/suggestions/8681566-fairway-stats-with-buffer-zone-e-g-first-cut"]http://myexperience....e-e-g-first-cut[/url]

That might be what you want
[/quote]

Yes, if we want to have another statistics than basic FIR.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

[quote name='josephs_79' timestamp='1438811482' post='12085330']
[quote name='phil75070' timestamp='1438805297' post='12084772']
The only problem I had with the belt unit was it falling off, not so much the getting used to it part. The belt clip isn't tight enough and it has no "lip" on it that would wrap around the belt and since you "tag" the club by tapping up on the bottom of the device it isn't really all that secure. I contacted customer service and they were kind enough to send me a new clip which was easy to swap out but it was really no different that the clip that was originally on my unit. I ended up using on of those universal cell phone belt clips, the kind where you are given a "button" to place on the back of the device itself that then "clicks" into place. That worked fine except for the fact that the device would then swivel.
[/quote]

Just wanted to mention that as it works on NFC you dont have to tap it\push it against the bottom of the device. It just has to be put within the vicinity of the device at the bottom (within 1 or 2 cm). I had the same problem as you but once I found a good way to do it without touching the device it hasn't come off since.

Now if I put it on the wrong spot on my belt then we are talking a whole different ball game when I bend over to pick up my ball or squat to read putting line. Found it a few times in my jacket and off my belt (winter here in Aus) so luckily haven't lost it yet *knock on wood*

I have also put it in my jacket pocket and used in there when I am worried it is going to drop off.
[/quote]

Now in saying that it looks like it wont register tags unless I really push it against the bottom of the device!

Have others had this\seen it\heard about it?

I have emailed support but wanted to see what others have seen or had the same issue.

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1440338025' post='12193232']
I know I've posted this before but here's another example of why GG is just flat out ignoring a good % of shots into the green. The "corners" of the box I've posted is the difference between the square (sides, 30 yds) and their "circle" (diameter 30 yards). Anything in those corners, which amounts to @ 22% of the total area of that square - those shots are completely ignored and not counted in your GG stats at all. Those shots are considered neither long, short, right or left. Or in. They are simply ignored.

Which is absurd. If you have even more shots that just barely miss the green - they arent being account for at all in your approach stats. In the above shot for example, I would consider that "long" and "left" if I had to choose from their current construct.

I continue to use it for recording rounds and shot distances but just cant really rely on the stats.

Dont know what the solution is for them - maybe changing the "green" to a square - but just ignoring all of these shots certainly isnt the best nor the most accurate way.
[/quote]

You're misunderstanding the stat. The stat is how many shots within 15 yards of where it believes the pin is, not if you hit the green. The GIR % calculation is correct, as they do know the perimeter of the green. I guess they could put a filter to combine the two.

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1440338025' post='12193232']

[/quote]

I think we had this discussion before here but the shots are not simply ignored!
We have 3 different stats here:
Misses left/right. The centre portion which is neither left nor right can easily be calculated: 100-left-right
Misses short/long: The centre portion which is neither short nor long can easily be calculated: 100-short-long
Shots within 15 yards or the pin
See my post here:
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/958359-game-golf-tracking-system-merged/page__view__findpost__p__11837676

I just wanted to post and say a big thank you to their support. I have had mapping issues and snapped tags and now a device that doesn't accept tagging.

These guys went above and beyond on helping and have been fantastic with it all and prompt especially with the time differences!

Just a huge thanks to support guys for this!

Just got GG over the summer and have used it a few times. So far, 7 rounds in and liking it a lot. The data is very interesting and I am looking forward to logging more rounds so it gets more and more accurate.

This past weekend I played a course in Japan and was wondering how/if it would deal with the tagged data. Needless to say, everything went perfect and the tags showed up exactly where they should have on the course map. Impressive to say the least.

Though not for everybody, I think it's a great platform and I can only hope that it gets better with time.

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game

I am starting to get annoyed by the lack of progress with some of the issues on http://myexperience.gamegolf.com/.

In the UK we normally play Stableford, that means if you can't score anymore on a hole you pick up. Can't do that with GG! If you just leave it like it is your putting and approach shot stats gets screwed (e.g. it might assume you holed from your last shot). So you either delete the whole hole (which gives you some nice scores - but only over 16 or so holes) or you end up with wrong or made up stats.

I think they need a 'picked up' tag (just use one of the spare ones). I had one whole where (according to GameGolf) I hit a drive on the 8th tee box, then a fairway wood to the 9th tee box. There I hit another driver and continued to play the 9th hole ??? I had to pick up after my fairway wood because I couldn't find my ball.