Replacement for Hex Black Tour

 Tex1986 ·  
Tex1986Tex1986 Members  1771WRX Points: 79Handicap: 12Posts: 1,771 Bunkers
Joined:  in Golf Balls #1
I came across this ball at Edwin Watts where they were selling x-outs for $19.99. I believe this ball is/has getting discontinued and want to know what will be replacing it or possible other options. If the supply at Edwin Watts holds out until my next paycheck, I will buy a few dozen then. But in the meantime I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this ball and/or similar ones.





Posted:
1

Comments

  • taz757taz757 Members  461WRX Points: 40Posts: 461 Greens
    Joined:  #2
    I've been hearing that the SR2 and/or the SR3 is supposed to be it's replacement. Maybe pick up a sleeve of each and try them out against the HBT.



    I've currently got 4dz that I'm trying to burn through, but the season is starting to close down here in VA. Probably have about a month or so left before it gets cold enough that the round isn't as enjoyable.
    Posted:
    TM '16 M2 9.5*/stock S
    TM '16 M2 3w 15*/stock S
    TM '16 M2 3h 19*/stock S
    TM RSi TP 4-PW/KBS Tour S
    TM Milled Grind 52*/56*/60*
    TM Ghost Tour Black Daytona SuperStroke
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Tex1986Tex1986 Members  1771WRX Points: 79Handicap: 12Posts: 1,771 Bunkers
    Joined:  #3
    taz757 wrote:
    I've been hearing that the SR2 and/or the SR3 is supposed to be it's replacement. Maybe pick up a sleeve of each and try them out against the HBT.



    I've currently got 4dz that I'm trying to burn through, but the season is starting to close down here in VA. Probably have about a month or so left before it gets cold enough that the round isn't as enjoyable.




    Yea, I've got the opposite seasonality down here in TX. The rounds are just getting enjoyable since its past summer and I don't mind wearing a hoodie when it's 50 out during our cold winters.



    I got family in Blacksburg, Hot Springs, and Clintwood. You live near there or more toward the east?



    I was hoping that they didn't replace it with their $48 balls. Every time I find a ball I like, it seems like it gets discontinued lol. Have you found any other balls that are similar?
    Posted:
  • Gauchograd99Gauchograd99 Members  1916WRX Points: 366Handicap: 3.2Posts: 1,916 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #4
    Hex Black's are toast and that is a bad thing. Amazing ball from everywhere with one exception: durability. Back when these came out I sent Callaway pictures of the cover on a couple that lasted 3 holes. My grooves (pre-rule change at the time) had chewed the ball past the point of use.



    Still, love the ball and it will be missed. I am playing the Chrome+ in its place and testing the SR2 and SR3 as replacements for when Callaway decides to do something foolish and discontinue the Chrome/Chrome+ line. Given the cost on the SR2/SR3's I am thinking about looking at B-stone B330-S and the Srixon lines. Haven't played Srixon in a while so it will be interesting.
    Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9deg, Aldila MSI 130 (60s)
    XHotPro 13.5deg, stock stiff
    TM Stage2Pro 18.5deg (set low), stiff. (Currently NOT in bag)
    Cleveland TA1 1 iron (Currently NOT in bag)
    Callaway Apex MB Steelfiber i110cw 3-PW
    Mizuno MP-T4 (50/6)
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 54/10
    Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 58/8
    Odyssey MXM #6 "Versa," 35in.
    http://www.gamegolf....er/gauchograd99

    Member of the OGA (Outlaw Golf Association) # 6.022*10^23
  • martinbnsmartinbns Members  1979WRX Points: 32Handicap: 8.2Posts: 1,979 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #5
    My beef with the Hex black in addition to the durability is they are 15 yards shorter for me than a Chrome+ off the tee.



    I want the Chrome+ to go on sale up here, I will buy 10-12 dozen to last me 2 years.
    Posted:
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R
    BB Alpha 815 14 set +1 draw Speeder 665 S
    19 & 23 X2Hot Callaway
    5 to Gap JPX825
    Scotty Kombi
    54/10 Rotex 2.0 56 Tmag ATV
  • playaplaya Members  8756WRX Points: 282Posts: 8,756 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #6


    Hex Black's are toast and that is a bad thing. Amazing ball from everywhere with one exception: durability. Back when these came out I sent Callaway pictures of the cover on a couple that lasted 3 holes. My grooves (pre-rule change at the time) had chewed the ball past the point of use.



    Still, love the ball and it will be missed. I am playing the Chrome+ in its place and testing the SR2 and SR3 as replacements for when Callaway decides to do something foolish and discontinue the Chrome/Chrome+ line. Given the cost on the SR2/SR3's I am thinking about looking at B-stone B330-S and the Srixon lines. Haven't played Srixon in a while so it will be interesting.


    Hex blacks and chrome pluses have been phased out in Oz. I am dow to last few chrome pluses. Tried the SR2 and it is not a replacement to the chrome plus imo. I gave up after two rounds with them. My pro shop still has some blacks left so will give them a try. If they stack up I can get a few dozen at a good price. Haven't tried the SR3 but not optimistic about it after hitting the SR2.
    Posted:
  • johnstitchjohnstitch Members  1202WRX Points: 1Posts: 1,202 Bunkers
    Joined:  #7
    If you want a hard feeling ball the Chrome+ is a good option, as is the Nike Black. Both feel very firm form so called premium balls. Z Star XV is firm for a top end ball but not as brick like the other two. Haven't tried the SR2 or 3 as nobody is stocking them in my area....
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty IndianapolisMembers  3563WRX Points: 223Handicap: 5.5Posts: 3,563 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #8
    The Chrome Plus is being replaced with the Chrome Speed; it is almost an identical ball. They are also making a Chrome Soft that is like a cross between the Chrome plus and Supersoft; I can't wait to try this one.
    Posted:
    Cobra SZ Tour Length 9.0 with Ventus Black 60 stiff shaft
    Callaway Mavrik SZ 13.5 degree with GD Tour AD VR 75 stiff
    Callaway Super Hybrid 17 degree with Tensei Pro Orange 80 stiff shaft
    Callaway Super Hybrid 23 degree with Tensei Pro Orange 80 stiff shaft
    TM P790 5-P with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Ping Glide 2.0 raw 50 and 54 degree wedge 
    PM19 60 degree raw wedge
    TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe
  • PGA_09PGA_09 Members  665WRX Points: 0Posts: 665
    Joined:  #9
    I went from the HBT to the SR2 for this season. I think the SR3 is closer in feel, but it is for club head speeds over 105, so I went with the SR2 and have liked playing it, softer feel than the HBT and good all around performance.
    Posted:
    BB Alpha 815 DBD Project X Handcrafted LZ
    BB Alpha 815 3/5 Wood Project X Handcrafted LZ
    Apex UT 21° & 24° Nippon Modus 130
    Apex MB 5-PW Nippon Modus 130
    MD2 PM Grind 56°/60° Nippon Modus 130
    Odyssey ProType iX #9
    WITB Link
  • Armypilot84Armypilot84 Members  1578WRX Points: 86Posts: 1,578 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #10
    The HBT is definitely my favorite Cally ball of all time, but it definitely had its flaws. It felt very clicky off a milled putter, and it was hands down the least durable ball I've ever games. That thing shredded every time I hit it with a wedge. The Chrome+ was an all around better ball, and they can still be bought, but they will be gone soon too. While the SR2 & 3 are good balls, I personally don't think they are any better than the HBT or Chrome+, except in the durability department, and they cost an arm and leg. IMO the closest ball I have ever hit to the HBT is the Nike 20XI-X or the RZN Black. They both have that firm feel off the driver, but are much more durable. The 20XI-X runs about $22 a dozen right now.
    Posted:
    Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
    Bio Cell + 5-7
    MP 53 4-PW
    Edel 58*
    Ping TR 1966 Anser
  • Tex1986Tex1986 Members  1771WRX Points: 79Handicap: 12Posts: 1,771 Bunkers
    Joined:  #11
    The HBT is definitely my favorite Cally ball of all time, but it definitely had its flaws. It felt very clicky off a milled putter, and it was hands down the least durable ball I've ever games. That thing shredded every time I hit it with a wedge. The Chrome+ was an all around better ball, and they can still be bought, but they will be gone soon too. While the SR2 & 3 are good balls, I personally don't think they are any better than the HBT or Chrome+, except in the durability department, and they cost an arm and leg. IMO the closest ball I have ever hit to the HBT is the Nike 20XI-X or the RZN Black. They both have that firm feel off the driver, but are much more durable. The 20XI-X runs about $22 a dozen right now.


    I didn't know they still made the 20xi-x.



    I got a deal on those last year. A bum at a muni in Houston sold me a bag of about 30-40 Nike balls, most were 20xi-x, with some mojos, and pd softs. For $5, couldn't beat the price and I played those 20xi-x for the next few months.
    Posted:
  • playaplaya Members  8756WRX Points: 282Posts: 8,756 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #12
    Mob wrote:


    The Chrome Plus is being replaced with the Chrome Speed; it is almost an identical ball. They are also making a Chrome Soft that is like a cross between the Chrome plus and Supersoft; I can't wait to try this one.


    If that's true about the Chrome Speed that's the best news I've heard in a long time. I will game them.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty IndianapolisMembers  3563WRX Points: 223Handicap: 5.5Posts: 3,563 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #13
    playa wrote:

    Mob wrote:


    The Chrome Plus is being replaced with the Chrome Speed; it is almost an identical ball. They are also making a Chrome Soft that is like a cross between the Chrome plus and Supersoft; I can't wait to try this one.


    If that's true about the Chrome Speed that's the best news I've heard in a long time. I will game them.




    Heard it from a reliable source at Callaway, so it is legit. I have already seen and hit the Chrome Speed, unfortunately it was one ball that I promptly hit in the water so I can't comment on performance
    Posted:
    Cobra SZ Tour Length 9.0 with Ventus Black 60 stiff shaft
    Callaway Mavrik SZ 13.5 degree with GD Tour AD VR 75 stiff
    Callaway Super Hybrid 17 degree with Tensei Pro Orange 80 stiff shaft
    Callaway Super Hybrid 23 degree with Tensei Pro Orange 80 stiff shaft
    TM P790 5-P with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Ping Glide 2.0 raw 50 and 54 degree wedge 
    PM19 60 degree raw wedge
    TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe
  • Tex1986Tex1986 Members  1771WRX Points: 79Handicap: 12Posts: 1,771 Bunkers
    Joined:  #14
    I scooped up a box of top flite gamers to try the next few weeks. I've never played them before but people seem to like how they perform. Has anyone played these and can compare to Hex Black Tour?
    Posted:
  • Lefty94Lefty94 Members  1513WRX Points: 55Posts: 1,513 Bunkers
    Joined:  #15
    Played the HBT about 2 seasons. Awesome ball. Thought it was the best ball I played. Until I found the SuperSOFT. There is no other ball for me. This is by far and away the best ball I ever played. I tried hitting the HBT after playing the SS all season. It felt like hitting a cue ball with an aluminum bat.
    Posted:
    XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
    XR 16 15* PX 6.0
    XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
    Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
    Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
    Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
    Ball -TM TP5X
  • 1t2golf1t2golf Marshals  3424WRX Points: 318Posts: 3,424 Marshals
    Joined:  #16
    Tex1986 wrote:


    I came across this ball at Edwin Watts where they were selling x-outs for $19.99. I believe this ball is/has getting discontinued and want to know what will be replacing it or possible other options. If the supply at Edwin Watts holds out until my next paycheck, I will buy a few dozen then. But in the meantime I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this ball and/or similar ones.




    Costco is selling the regular HBTs for $19.99 dozen.
    Posted:
    Sic omnia fatis In peius ruere ac retro sublapsa referri...semper ubi sub ubi
  • Texas GolferTexas Golfer LPGA fan Members  250WRX Points: 76Handicap: 15Posts: 250 Bunkers
    Joined:  #17
    Callaway is really annoying when they change the names of their golf balls every year or two. When I find a Callaway that I like, it is gone in a year. Seems like I never know what I am purchasing when all the names are different.
    Posted:
    Cobra Fly-z+
    Bridgestone J33 (3W)
    Callaway Steelhead XR (3H, 4H, 5-SW)
    Wilson Staff 8882
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • KohldsmokeKohldsmoke Members  24WRX Points: 0Posts: 24
    Joined:  #18
    Mob wrote:


    The Chrome Plus is being replaced with the Chrome Speed; it is almost an identical ball. They are also making a Chrome Soft that is like a cross between the Chrome plus and Supersoft; I can't wait to try this one.




    Do you know the relase date for the Chrome Speed?
    Posted:
  • MobMob Just Another Lefty IndianapolisMembers  3563WRX Points: 223Handicap: 5.5Posts: 3,563 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #19
    Kohldsmoke wrote:

    Mob wrote:


    The Chrome Plus is being replaced with the Chrome Speed; it is almost an identical ball. They are also making a Chrome Soft that is like a cross between the Chrome plus and Supersoft; I can't wait to try this one.




    Do you know the relase date for the Chrome Speed?




    I hear they are having second thoughts about changing the name since the Chrome + was so successful.
    Posted:
    Cobra SZ Tour Length 9.0 with Ventus Black 60 stiff shaft
    Callaway Mavrik SZ 13.5 degree with GD Tour AD VR 75 stiff
    Callaway Super Hybrid 17 degree with Tensei Pro Orange 80 stiff shaft
    Callaway Super Hybrid 23 degree with Tensei Pro Orange 80 stiff shaft
    TM P790 5-P with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Ping Glide 2.0 raw 50 and 54 degree wedge 
    PM19 60 degree raw wedge
    TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe
  • playaplaya Members  8756WRX Points: 282Posts: 8,756 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #20
    Lefty94 wrote:


    Played the HBT about 2 seasons. Awesome ball. Thought it was the best ball I played. Until I found the SuperSOFT. There is no other ball for me. This is by far and away the best ball I ever played. I tried hitting the HBT after playing the SS all season. It felt like hitting a cue ball with an aluminum bat.


    I've had a simar experience with the chrome plus. I thought nothomg could replace that ball but after a couple months with the Nike PD Long I couldn't go back to the chrome plus. I love the feel and performance of the 2 piece, especially off driver and putter. This has been a revelation for me. I have been on the premium ball bandwagon forever. I wonder hkw many other ams would get the same benefit from using non tour balls? We will never find out cause the marketing for tour balls is so convincing and the indoctrination is so strong. Once people take that first hit of ProV kool aid, they are lifelong addicts.
    Posted:
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX  25657WRX Points: 828Handicap: GolfPosts: 25,657 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #21
    playa wrote:

    Lefty94 wrote:


    Played the HBT about 2 seasons. Awesome ball. Thought it was the best ball I played. Until I found the SuperSOFT. There is no other ball for me. This is by far and away the best ball I ever played. I tried hitting the HBT after playing the SS all season. It felt like hitting a cue ball with an aluminum bat.


    I've had a simar experience with the chrome plus. I thought nothomg could replace that ball but after a couple months with the Nike PD Long I couldn't go back to the chrome plus. I love the feel and performance of the 2 piece, especially off driver and putter. This has been a revelation for me. I have been on the premium ball bandwagon forever. I wonder hkw many other ams would get the same benefit from using non tour balls? We will never find out cause the marketing for tour balls is so convincing and the indoctrination is so strong. Once people take that first hit of ProV kool aid, they are lifelong addicts.


    There is a lot of truth to this. I decided I wanted more spin around the greens so I chose to take a slightly less forgiving ball. The Chrome Soft might be the long term answer for me however. But I have a BUNCH of Chrome+ to use as well!
    Posted:
    G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
    G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
    Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
    (MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)







  • BigHook25BigHook25 Members  2338WRX Points: 132Posts: 2,338 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #22
    martinbns wrote:


    My beef with the Hex black in addition to the durability is they are 15 yards shorter for me than a Chrome+ off the tee.



    I want the Chrome+ to go on sale up here, I will buy 10-12 dozen to last me 2 years.




    Agreed. I found if your a pretty high spin player the hex black were shorter off the driver and maybe 5 yards shorter on some iron shots. Although the chrome + is a little firmer ball, I preferred it over the hex black.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • mpghousempghouse Members  260WRX Points: 0Handicap: 17Posts: 260
    Joined:  edited Feb 23, 2015 #23
    1t2golf wrote:

    Tex1986 wrote:


    I came across this ball at Edwin Watts where they were selling x-outs for $19.99. I believe this ball is/has getting discontinued and want to know what will be replacing it or possible other options. If the supply at Edwin Watts holds out until my next paycheck, I will buy a few dozen then. But in the meantime I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this ball and/or similar ones.




    Costco is selling the regular HBTs for $19.99 dozen.




    Wait. My local costco knocked the hex black tour's down to 15/dozen when they were making room for the hex control at the end of 2014. I Got at least 7 dozen while the supplies lasted and gave a couple out as gifts.



    As far as replacement - bridgey b330, e5 and nike rzn black.
    Posted:
  • taz757taz757 Members  461WRX Points: 40Posts: 461 Greens
    Joined:  #24
    mpghouse wrote:

    1t2golf wrote:

    Tex1986 wrote:


    I came across this ball at Edwin Watts where they were selling x-outs for $19.99. I believe this ball is/has getting discontinued and want to know what will be replacing it or possible other options. If the supply at Edwin Watts holds out until my next paycheck, I will buy a few dozen then. But in the meantime I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this ball and/or similar ones.




    Costco is selling the regular HBTs for $19.99 dozen.




    Wait. My local costco knocked the hex black tour's down to 15/dozen when they were making room for the hex control at the end of 2014. I Got at least 7 dozen while the supplies lasted and gave a couple out as gifts.



    As far as replacement - bridgey b330, e5 and nike rzn black.




    e5 != hex black. we're talking about two different balls here. the e5 is a 2 piece urethane while the hex black is a 5 layer with a dual core. two different animals and cannot be compared.
    Posted:
    TM '16 M2 9.5*/stock S
    TM '16 M2 3w 15*/stock S
    TM '16 M2 3h 19*/stock S
    TM RSi TP 4-PW/KBS Tour S
    TM Milled Grind 52*/56*/60*
    TM Ghost Tour Black Daytona SuperStroke
  • mpghousempghouse Members  260WRX Points: 0Handicap: 17Posts: 260
    Joined:  #25
    I disagree totally. They're both urethane balls with similar spin rates for both driver and wedge.
    Posted:
  • DaveyGolfDaveyGolf Members  272WRX Points: 0Handicap: +1Posts: 272
    Joined:  edited Feb 25, 2015 #26
    mpghouse wrote:


    I disagree totally. They're both urethane balls with similar spin rates for both driver and wedge.




    I disagree with your disagreement. Two entirely different beasts. Soft mantled beasts, but still very different performers. If someone is a big fan of the HBT, they may like the feel of the e5, but will have to manage their game a bit differently.
    Posted:
    R1 Black Blueboard X Tipped 1"
    Ping G25 16.5* Fuji 757 Tipped 1"
    Calaway Razr X MB 3-PW Project X 7.0
    Calaway MD2 Tour C Grind 52/56/60
    Ping Scottsdale TR Copper
  • Hmmm13Hmmm13 LouisianaMembers  608WRX Points: 61Handicap: 5Posts: 608 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #27
    Tex1986 wrote:


    I came across this ball at Edwin Watts where they were selling x-outs for $19.99. I believe this ball is/has getting discontinued and want to know what will be replacing it or possible other options. If the supply at Edwin Watts holds out until my next paycheck, I will buy a few dozen then. But in the meantime I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this ball and/or similar ones.
    goodl ball, mid to high spin but soft, i loved it
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • mpghousempghouse Members  260WRX Points: 0Handicap: 17Posts: 260
    Joined:  #28
    DaveyGolf wrote:

    mpghouse wrote:


    I disagree totally. They're both urethane balls with similar spin rates for both driver and wedge.




    I disagree with your disagreement. Two entirely different beasts. Soft mantled beasts, but still very different performers. If someone is a big fan of the HBT, they may like the feel of the e5, but will have to manage their game a bit differently.




    lol beasts indeed.

    *waits for TM to release BEASTZ line of balls*
    Posted:
  • DaveyGolfDaveyGolf Members  272WRX Points: 0Handicap: +1Posts: 272
    Joined:  #29
    Good ballz, terrible namez.
    Posted:
    R1 Black Blueboard X Tipped 1"
    Ping G25 16.5* Fuji 757 Tipped 1"
    Calaway Razr X MB 3-PW Project X 7.0
    Calaway MD2 Tour C Grind 52/56/60
    Ping Scottsdale TR Copper

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.