Ping Zing2 in Bronze or BeCu?

ChrisDowning

I have just bought what was advertised as a bronze Ping Zing2 putter. now I think I'm pretty good at searching around the internet (did it as a job for many years back around the latec90s!) but I cannot get to the bottom of whether thisbis really bronze or BeCu (copper). Now the PGA Value listing only has BeCu and Stainless in the Zing2 and I cannot find any reference to a bronze version other than individuals asserting they think they know. I.e. they are hardly Ping PR department telling you this stuff. So is it possible it is bronze or have I stumbled into a copper putter by accident. doesn't really matter cause I love how it works. But would be nice to know - I am bound to be asked when using it on the course because its so retro.

I know what a brass Ping is like - got an Anser like that. And I've had stainless in the past so that's out. Any ideas anyone?

Its the score, not the equipment costs.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the patina's are dark its hard to tell the difference. What you have is a BECU, not a MgBrz as the Ping website is correct. No such thing as a MgBrz Zing 2. Soak it in Coke and it will shine like brand new copper or keep the patina, personal preference really. I have a MgBrz Zing (didn't come in BECU) and cleaned it when I bought it. My thinking was that with a new owner should come a new patina. Plus i think with the BECU you can oxidize it yourself to bring out some cool greens and blues if you wanted.

Nice find.

Taylormade M1 430 w/ Matrix Speed Rulz C-Type X
Taylormade V Steel 15* w/ FujiSpeeder
Titleist 712U 18* w/ S300
Titleist 680 w/ S300 AMT
Titleist Vokey 54/60 SM

Scotty Cameron Newport tel3
Scotty Cameron Santa Fe tel3
Scotty Cameron Laguna 2.5 Pro Platinum

Tried the putter at a couple of courses today. Its really nice and definately one which I shall be using as my main putter. I wanted to get to know a little about it as this is going to be something other payers will ask. Nowadays everyone seems to have moved on and using fairly new equipment and you rarely see a putter like the Ping Zing2 in action. I would guess its late 80s early 90s in age but its in great condition - in fact it came with a little leather 50s style cover which I will sell on eBay - so overall its cost me even less.

Help - anyone tell me how to post an image?

[quote name='ChrisDowning' timestamp='1415368935' post='10410705']
Tried the putter at a couple of courses today. Its really nice and definately one which I shall be using as my main putter. I wanted to get to know a little about it as this is going to be something other payers will ask. Nowadays everyone seems to have moved on and using fairly new equipment and you rarely see a putter like the Ping Zing2 in action. I would guess its late 80s early 90s in age but its in great condition - in fact it came with a little leather 50s style cover which I will sell on eBay - so overall its cost me even less.

Help - anyone tell me how to post an image?
[/quote]

They play a Laguna wait that is a Zing putter.

Not only a Laguna - there's a version from almost everyputter manufacturer out there. Perhaps we should all go back to the originals to find out what made putters great in the first place - so good everyone else waited till the patents ran out and then piled in to make their own version. I've had all sorts of putters from a free 80s Anser I rescued from someone about to throw it on a tip to a couple of $300 Scotty's. The Zing is definately up there with the best I've tried - for less than $50. Makes me think that perhaps there is a whole lot of clubs out there that won majors 20 years ago, that would still be highly effective for an average amateur. Like that Cobra Tiger used in the 1997 Masters - a deep face 9 degree driver that - Cobra had discontinued one like that a couple of years earlier, you couldn't go out an buy one!

Here's my Ping Zing2 BeCu that still gets quite a bit of use.[attachment=2488425:IMG_20140701_152609.jpg]

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

The great thing, at least in my opinion, about the Zing is the head weight. Very light by todays standards, you can easily build it up to preference with lead tape. Love that the old Pings often came with sound slots. Never hit one personally, but I think it's a neat feature that you don't seem today.

OP.... highly recommend you go grab yourself a Salty grip for that Zing2 to give it a little extra flare. Super cool grip perfect for a classic BECU...

Taylormade M1 430 w/ Matrix Speed Rulz C-Type X
Taylormade V Steel 15* w/ FujiSpeeder
Titleist 712U 18* w/ S300
Titleist 680 w/ S300 AMT
Titleist Vokey 54/60 SM

Scotty Cameron Newport tel3
Scotty Cameron Santa Fe tel3
Scotty Cameron Laguna 2.5 Pro Platinum

I still game an old Zing. My friend's dad picked it up in 1972 and sold it to me in 03. Original patina and well nicked. I had to change the grip, but used the same one. At times it will get red hot and at times pretty cold. That was also how he described it. :) (I'm sure many of you can relate). The dozen or so other putters I have here, most just stay frozen cold.

I do currently have a large pile of lead tape on it and some quarters on the butt end for an experiment -- about time I removed all that and see.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

I think a lot of the feel in putters comes from the weight. I've been using a Yes Caroline which always felt fairly heavy, even though the spec shows it is average at about 350gm headweight. I also drifted into using a SuperStroke 3.0, which is the middle size one, and I started to feel like I couldn't judge pace very well - the big grip helped with aim but a miss usually meant way too short, or way too far past. Other players get on great with the SuperStroke so it must be just me.

But going back to this putter which is something like 25 grams lighter than the average modern putter (about 7% lighter) AND going back to a tradition style grip diameter, it seems like it has far more feel. It feel like you have the ball in your right hand and roll it towards the hole on your left. It feels like an extension of my right hand. Perhaps I just lost my way and this is what it was always supposd to feel like.

I have played a Zing 2 for over 20 years in fact if you go over to the Classic Golf and Golfers section of this forum you will see I posted a story on it titled "A Old Ping Putter Story" Now mine is no where near as nice as the one Mitchell posted because it has been through a lot and it has lead tape in the back. But you look at some of the great Pro putters and they have used the same flatstick for years Corey Pavin comes to mind as does Ben Crenshaw

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I think they look great just like this - cleaned edges but still with 95% of the aged patina from the last 30 years or so. This has definately not been played continuously for 30 years - more like 5 or 6 years, looking at the condition. I'm not going with another Pingman grip though - I'm going to fit a Standard size, Pure Classic, in black - so a nod to the past with the black grip. And I bought a Ping headcover at the golf club - so no more dings.

I love the BeCu putters from Ping. Would have LOVED a BeCu Zing but that putter does not exist, at least not for the everyday guy. Too bad BeCu is not produced anymore.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Why wouldn't you take a BeCu Ping Zing 2 ? I am continuing the honeymoon period with this 30 year old putter that seems so easy to use accurately. Don't know whetherits the metal, the age, or the feel of a flatter lie and heel shaft - but it is just great. Best putter I have ever used.

My gamer is a modern version of a Ping Zing style. Byron Morgan designed a terrific version. My gamer also has a "Long Pipe" neck which allows the putter to flow/release better than a Zing. By the way, I still have a 80520 Ping Zing (MgBr) putter in my collection. Love this style of putter. I was never a fan of the neck of the Zing 2.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

My brother-in-law has gamed a BeCu Zing ever since I met him (around 1990). I really liked it so eventually I went out and picked up a Zing for myself.
Interesting to see the different angles of how the flow neck attaches to the head. mine attaches to the top line and some of the older sticks attach towards the rear of the topline / cavity area.
Great putters though.

[quote name='Mitchell' timestamp='1415851056' post='10438889']
T-Mac,
Very nice Zing2 Isoforce, always liked that putter.
[/quote]

Thank you.
I just dug it out the other day while looking for some SS putters to game during the winter (I put my carbon gamers away for the winter).
I threw a new Ping grip on it and can't wait to give it a roll. Haven't gamed it in several years so I'm looking forward to it!