Golf Club Shipping - Fedex, Airlines or other?

I have a trip planned for early March from the Quad Cities to Scottsdale, AZ. I have everything taken care of but the subject of shipping clubs is still unanswered. What is the best way of shipping clubs? Our airline is Allegient and I don't know what their rates are. What are my options and who has used FedEx (or others)?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked into UPS/FedEx for a trip last year. Would have cost $75 each way, minimum, perhaps much more, I can't remember the details. I was flying Southwest so the bags are free anyway, but I was afraid the airlines would beat them up or lose them. (I had a past experience with damaged items) I know some people that work at both FedEx and UPS and both told me to check them with the plane as both carriers beat up the bags pretty badly when you ship them; neither of them would ship their own clubs with their employer. For what it's worth. Just get yourself a solid case, get there on time so there's no rush to get your clubs on the plane, and you should be fine.

IMHO - don't bother shipping - it's hassle on both ends to arrange pick up and shipping. I shipped clubs back from Ca to Pa and it was quadruple what it would have been to check them. It takes extra time on the front end (assuming you don't ship overnight or express) to get your clubs where you're going. call allegiant and tell them how much your bag weigh's - see what they charge.

with Allegiant, if you check your golf travel case at the airport on your departure day, it's probably $50 one way.

Fedex Ground will be about the same cost, but you will have to allow about 5 days for transit.

I've used Fedex to Palm Springs, Scottsdale, Oakland. Los Angeles and Bandon, and my soft sided travel case arrived on time and without damage.

Allegiant has also got my clubs safely to Palm Springs, Oakland and Las Vegas.

I recently used ShipSticks from Bandon. They rely on UPS for the heavy lifting, and it was fine, except a bit more expensive than Fedex.

I agree with tw422. If you have a hard-sided travel case, Allegiant is fine. It's a direct flight, and you don't have to ship 4 or 5 days in advance.

[quote name='ms244' timestamp='1422384053' post='10829015']
I have a trip planned for early March from the Quad Cities to Scottsdale, AZ. I have everything taken care of but the subject of shipping clubs is still unanswered. What is the best way of shipping clubs? Our airline is Allegient and I don't know what their rates are. What are my options and who has used FedEx (or others)?
[/quote]

Depends on how much hassle you feel it is to drag the bag with your other baggage through the airports. No question it will be more expensive to ship the clubs and you do have to make the arrangements for where the clubs are to be delivered as well as arranging for shipping them back. If one of the courses you plan to play is willing to receive and then have the bag/box picked up to be shipped home, that works.

For me, I always dragged the bag in a nice Club Glove carrier through airports and once in a while I got to the point that I felt it was a pain in the neck - especially on some Europe business trips I have had which included golf. Dragging a bag and suitcase on and off trains is no fun. But this past Christmas I shipped the bag via Fed Ex to one of the clubs we were to play and Fed Ex picked it up from the house we were renting for the return. So to be honest, even at a little more $$ I really think this was the way to go. 'Course we were travelling with son, DIL and grandson so having a hand free through the airports helped a lot with that.

Clubs were in great condition, no probs and it was a little bit of a benefit to cram in some stuff for the return shipment to keep the suitcase from being overloaded. And since our business does all our inbound and outbound shipping with Fed Ex, I just told them if anything bad happened to the sticks, I would be glad to sit down and talk to UPS when we got home!

I have been to Myrtle Beach twice and checked the clubs with the airlines both times. Neither time did I have any issues with the airline but I wanted to see what others have done with shipping. I really like the fact that the clubs are with me at all times so I will probably just go through the airline again.

I think shipsticks is the best and most hassle free. Just don't drop off at UPS, or package the clubs yourself because UPS charges an arm and a leg for just the stupid box.

On the way back from Bandon it was painless - just hand the club guys your bag, give them your shipsticks slip, and voila, the clubs were at my doorstep 2 days after I returned to florida.

[quote name='ms244' timestamp='1422384053' post='10829015']
[/quote]

Sorry - side note but I hate you. I can't figure out why Allegient flies direct to Phx from the Quad Cities but not in Des Moines. I'm heading down to Scottsdale the end of February and just looked at rates vs Allegiant out of the Quads. I'm paying double for a direct flight to Phx from a much bigger airport. I'm also having the same debate and we're staying at a resort so I will likely do the ship stix thing. Have fun on your trip.

I've traveled with my clubs 4-5 times and never had an issue with the airlines. Been lucky so far, knock on wood. Last year I traveled from Atlanta to cape cod with my wife and son, and couldn't carry a set of clubs with us. So I put them in a Sunday bag, boxed them up, and shipped them to my uncle. $35 each way, less than the airline would've charged me, and I didn't have to carry it around the airport.

I have traveled with my clubs at least 400 times (probably more, just a quick estimate) over the years as I travel for business virtually every week of my life. Over the course of the 20 years of personal and business travel I have had exactly one issue with damage about 14 years ago. Additionally, one time they showed up 1 day late into a golf specific trip. This includes more than 25 countries and nearly every state. In the past year alone I have taken them to Scotland, England (3 different trips), Ireland (2 trips), Italy, NY, CA, HI, AR, NV, OK and NM.

I've thought about it many times and looked at what it would take to ship them. My conclusion: I can't imagine any scenario where shipping my clubs would be anything other than an epic hassle. It also is way more expensive even if I couldn't check baggage for free. I recommend checking them with your airline of choice. The odds of something going wrong are insignificant. It can and does happen but I doubt that there is a meaningful statistical safety advantage in shipping vs checking. Whatever slight advantage may exist is wiped away by the extra effort.

Nothing worse than standing at a baggage carousel waiting for your clubs and having them NOT come out. This happened to us this past summer traveling from PHL to BOS on JetBlue. They were my daughter's clubs, and we were on our way to an AJGA tournament. Talk about anxiety!

The airline kept assuring us that they'd arrive on a later flight, but they never did. I had to got to a Golfsmith and purchase everything new, including a new travel bag, just so she could compete. Of course her equipment was highly customized, so the off the shelf stuff we bought didn't fit her so she didn't play her best, but I was proud of her for still grinding out a top 5.

It was shocking when I added up the value of the loss. Goretex rain gear, laser rangefinder, 2 pair of shoes, custom shafts, Iomic grips, custom Scotty, etc. You accumulate stuff over time, so it's easy to lose sight of how much is invested. Over $5k for us.

In the end we settled with the airline for $1500 plus a $500 travel voucher. Even though I had all receipts, they only cover 14 clubs, a dozen balls and the bag, plus they depreciate everything using PGA trade-in values...a total joke!

No matter whether you ship, or use the airlines, make sure you're insured appropriately for the potential loss.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='az2au' timestamp='1422532580' post='10839963']
I have traveled with my clubs at least 400 times (probably more, just a quick estimate) over the years as I travel for business virtually every week of my life. Over the course of the 20 years of personal and business travel I have had exactly one issue with damage about 14 years ago. Additionally, one time they showed up 1 day late into a golf specific trip. This includes more than 25 countries and nearly every state. In the past year alone I have taken them to Scotland, England (3 different trips), Ireland (2 trips), Italy, NY, CA, HI, AR, NV, OK and NM.

I've thought about it many times and looked at what it would take to ship them. My conclusion: I can't imagine any scenario where shipping my clubs would be anything other than an epic hassle. It also is way more expensive even if I couldn't check baggage for free. I recommend checking them with your airline of choice. The odds of something going wrong are insignificant. It can and does happen but I doubt that there is a meaningful statistical safety advantage in shipping vs checking. Whatever slight advantage may exist is wiped away by the extra effort.
[/quote]

That is my fear is that they don't arrive when you need them. Paying hundreds of dollars for airline, green fees, hotels, etc. and not have clubs would suck! Since my flight is a direct flight I would eliminate that possibility (hopefully).

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1422535251' post='10840077']
Nothing worse than standing at a baggage carousel waiting for your clubs and having them NOT come out. This happened to us this past summer traveling from PHL to BOS on JetBlue. They were my daughter's clubs, and we were on our way to an AJGA tournament. Talk about anxiety!

The airline kept assuring us that they'd arrive on a later flight, but they never did. I had to got to a Golfsmith and purchase everything new, including a new travel bag, just so she could compete. Of course her equipment was highly customized, so the off the shelf stuff we bought didn't fit her so she didn't play her best, but I was proud of her for still grinding out a top 5.

It was shocking when I added up the value of the loss. Goretex rain gear, laser rangefinder, 2 pair of shoes, custom shafts, Iomic grips, custom Scotty, etc. You accumulate stuff over time, so it's easy to lose sight of how much is invested. Over $5k for us.

In the end we settled with the airline for $1500 plus a $500 travel voucher. Even though I had all receipts, they only cover 14 clubs, a dozen balls and the bag, plus they depreciate everything using PGA trade-in values...a total joke!

No matter whether you ship, or use the airlines, make sure you're insured appropriately for the potential loss.
[/quote]

My flight is direct so I shouldn't have the same problem as you did. Side question. You mention insurance, but how can you insure your clubs like you mention?

[quote name='ms244' timestamp='1422542545' post='10840699']
[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1422535251' post='10840077']

[/quote]

My flight is direct so I shouldn't have the same problem as you did. Side question. You mention insurance, but how can you insure your clubs like you mention?
[/quote]

Homeowner's policy, just call you company. And by the way, the flight I mentioned WAS direct...Philly to Boston, nothing easier than that. One problem was that JetBlue doesn't bar code and scan all of their baggage tickets. In our case they couldn't even tell us if her clubs ever made it onto the plane in Philly. Airlines like United bar code scan everything, so they can at least track effectively.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

So...I'm playing Pinehurst last May. I booked days on #2, #4 and #8. My clubs traveled UPS and were at the hotel right on time and waiting for me. The morning of my first round comes, I trundle down to the shuttle that takes me to #2 and no clubs. "Oh, not a problem sir. We've already sent them to the course. They will be with your caddy when you arrive." No clubs. They sent them to the wrong course. A golf cart delivered them to me on the course and reclaimed the rentals they lent me.

I prefer to check my clubs and haul them around with me. I try to take direct flights. But in the end even with competent caring people handling your stuff mistakes will happen.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

if the place your staying will accept FedEx i would do that, safer and cheaper.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I may get flamed big time for this but unless you have a couple kids with you or something, is it really that big of a hassle flying with your clubs?

I've flown about 5 times with mine, and I just don't buy the "lugging them around" argument. How much stuff are people cramming into these wheeled bags that makes pulling them around so difficult?

If you ship them you need to lug them into a FedEx or ups store. And we've seen some of the issues with these companies before.

I do agree though from an insurance perspective and as far as time is concerned (waiting in line at airport and waiting for baggage) there are some advantages.

[quote name='Joebirds55' timestamp='1422589442' post='10846281']
I may get flamed big time for this but unless you have a couple kids with you or something, is it really that big of a hassle flying with your clubs?

I've flown about 5 times with mine, and I just don't buy the "lugging them around" argument. How much stuff are people cramming into these wheeled bags that makes pulling them around so difficult?

If you ship them you need to lug them into a FedEx or ups store. And we've seen some of the issues with these companies before.

I do agree though from an insurance perspective and as far as time is concerned (waiting in line at airport and waiting for baggage) there are some advantages.
[/quote]

For me it isn't the "lugging around" issue. Yes it is a little bit of a pain but it is only from the baggage claim to the rental car. Not too bad. I just fear the horror stories that I hear from airlines damaging your clubs or them coming up missing altogether. I just brought up the shipping option to get peoples thoughts.

I have shipped mine using fed ex a few times. One time to save money I packed just my clubs in a smaller box and used a bag from the course at my destination. Ended up being something like $11 each way. I packed my shoes, balls, tees, gloves, etc in my suitcase. My clubs were in my hotel room when I got there. The biggest hassle with shipping is allowing for the shipping time. This time of year though I don't think its that big of a deal since you can't play much anyway. I think most people's complaints about lugging golf clubs is due to the size of travel cases and the sometimes limited cargo space in a rental car. Hard cases aren't small and if you are traveling with multiple people and one car it may make more sense to ship.

I carry status with Delta (Gold or Platinum yearly) so maybe I get a little more attention, but I haven't had an issue with Airline travel. Granted, with status you get a bag free and a golf bag counts. Personally, I have a SKB hard case which means you really have to watch the bag weight. That said, clubs, balls, shoes, and an extra towel to ensure nothing moves around too much works for me.

As a side note, EVERY TIME I check that bag on the airline they end up with a nice "TSA checked" tag within the container ... since apparently they cannot determine that golf clubs are indeed golf clubs on the X-ray. *insert eye roll here* :censored2:

[quote name='ms244' timestamp='1422718980' post='10856171']
[quote name='Joebirds55' timestamp='1422589442' post='10846281']

[/quote]

For me it isn't the "lugging around" issue. Yes it is a little bit of a pain but it is only from the baggage claim to the rental car. Not too bad. I just fear the horror stories that I hear from airlines damaging your clubs or them coming up missing altogether. I just brought up the shipping option to get peoples thoughts.
[/quote]

I hear ya on the damage aspect. Personally I think those who have had issues with the airlines are the most vocal making it appear problems occur more often than they actually do. I am the first to admit that if my clubs came off the baggage destroyed I'd be the same way...

• 1 month later...

The Fed Ex on-line shipping calculator is a joke. It asks for measurements and weight to arrive at the cost. When I took it into my local Fed Ex location, the quote was double. I asked the clerk for the measurements and weight he used to arrive at the number and it was identical to what I'd entered on-line. This BTW was for their 5 day rate. Went from $48 to $80. The value I put on the clubs added only $10. I walked out.

update to my Jan 27 post: used Alaska in early Feb, and with a tight connection (60 min) my clubs didn't arrive until 7 hrs later. Alaska said it would pick up the cost of my rental clubs plus any clothing. Luckily the course gave me free rental clubs and I didn't need any extra clothes. When I did get my clubs later that evening the airline gave me a $100 voucher, apologized and said the clubs should have arrived on time.

The next trip earlier this month I sent my clubs Fedex ground. They arrived on time, but the zipper on the bag looked like someone tried to force the small lock, and the bag was really dirty.

Now that I have free (first) checked bag on Alaska, I'll likely take my clubs on the plane.