Damn V2's

justyn

I hate to say it but I went ahead and put a V2 77g X stiff in one of my 905R's. I am currently playing it at 45" and swingweight is a D6. This thing is like swinging a stiff board but numbers and results do not lie. This thing is not as boring like the 757's I have been playing but it is everybit as long and even straighter than my extremely mild fade. Sping was around 2300 rpms .

Anyone else play one even though they didnt like the feel? If so did you ever grow to like it?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the V2, but it feels way to soft unless it is tipped.

I generally play the 75 in the driver and 85 or 95 in the fairway woods.

It feels tip softer, but just as tight as my other favorite shaft, the VS Proto.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

They do play soft by aftermarket standard - the max recommended SS for a V2-65 stiff is only 100mph (range is 90-100)! I went for a fitting today and was fitted to an untipped X! My SS is only 105mph, as quite surprised to learn that's in the middle of the recommended X range! The 75 stiff's max is 105, though. Of course, SS isn't all that matters, but the V2s do play softer than you'd think given the low torque.

i guess it is different for different swings , i have a SS of average 105 and stiff is perfect for me , i feel i work the ball nicely and on a normal swing i hit a straight high boring trajectory , i play the 67 gram stiff, when i purchased mine i also purchased an epic shaft and was thinking i would try them both and compare but i dont think that will happen since i have 4 games under my belt with the v2 and hit it fairly consistent

madi05

I hate to say it but I went ahead and put a V2 77g X stiff in one of my 905R's. I am currently playing it at 45" and swingweight is a D6. This thing is like swinging a stiff board but numbers and results do not lie. This thing is not as boring like the 757's I have been playing but it is everybit as long and even straighter than my extremely mild fade. Sping was around 2300 rpms .

Anyone else play one even though they didnt like the feel? If so did you ever grow to like it?

I was in the same boat....the V2 performed well, but felt like crapola. Unlike you, I just couldn't get past the feel. If you're looking for similar performance (better for me), with incredible feel---try an Accra SC75. If you need something that's more stable and spins less, go with the Accra SE80....I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Yep, great shaft but it does feel like a board. Some people like it and others don't. I've used one in a few different heads. My results have always been excellent, I just like the feel of the Speeder and VS Proto better.

The VS Proto as well as a 757 feel awesome but the VS couldnt keep up with me and I ballooned every shot with a VS 80 X, the 757 is my favorite but my confidence isnt at its highest when I really lay into it. My club builder told me that with my quick tempo and very heavy loading of the shaft that the V2 would be a great shaft stabilizing the tip section for me. He gave me a great deal on pulling out my 757 and dropping the V2 in (I kept the pull of course). I am really not liking the V2 all that much but the shaft performs well, I might be dropping in a 757 X Tipped 1" fully inserted into a 905R, I just dont want to spend 250.00 on something I dont know if I like or not.

Yep, great shaft but it does feel like a board. Some people like it and others don't. I've used one in a few different heads. My results have always been excellent, I just like the feel of the Speeder and VS Proto better.

The VS Proto as well as a 757 feel awesome but the VS couldnt keep up with me and I ballooned every shot with a VS 80 X, the 757 is my favorite but my confidence isnt at its highest when I really lay into it. My club builder told me that with my quick tempo and very heavy loading of the shaft that the V2 would be a great shaft stabilizing the tip section for me. He gave me a great deal on pulling out my 757 and dropping the V2 in (I kept the pull of course). I am really not liking the V2 all that much but the shaft performs well, I might be dropping in a 757 X Tipped 1" fully inserted into a 905R, I just dont want to spend 250.00 on something I dont know if I like or not.

I too have quicker tempo and put a heavy load on the shaft, I've been having great results with my VS Proto 80 X. I tipped it 1/2 inch in my FT-3. I feel it's very anti-left, even a tad more than my 757. I've been hitting alot of slight fades with the Proto actually.

Im confused, i thought the V2 was real Stiff? Wow, good job i read this, was just about to order one in an F60, may have to rethink.

I guess it depends on what you put it into. I know in a fully inserted bore-through they do, I have never had any experience with them in another club except hitting them for the hell of it on one of Golfsmiths LM's and really didnt like the feel of it. 757 and VS feels softer in my 905R.

I have the V2 in my driver, 3 wood, and hybrid and I actually like the "board" feel. It makes me feel like I have more control over the head and the bad seems to go straighter. My SS is about 110-113 in my driver, but I have an s-flex. My club fitter said that the 905s has a very deep bore-thru which makes it play stiffer than a normal S flex

As far as the stiffness of these shafts go, pay attention to a couple of things:

1) The weight has a lot to do with the stiffness of the shaft, (this one specifically) and as you increase the weight it becomes increasingly stiffer and more stable. Check out the swing speed chart on the UST website. The 65g X flex fits the same range as the 95g S flex. Of course, as others have said, there is more to fitting the correct flex than just swing speed, as tempo, loading, and feel all play a part.

2) Also, these shafts have a 4" PTS, which can feel soft in a head with a fairly short bore depth. I think these shafts really excell in the bore through heads though, like Titleist, as it stiffens the tip significantly and really brings the spin down.

3) Finally, for all those considering this shaft, remember that feel is subjective. While many people clain this shaft to feel boardy, I think it feels incredibly smooth and tight, and I like the feel even better than Diamanas and Speeders. I think I'm probably in the minority with that opinion but just remember to demo this shaft on your own with an open mind, before making a judgement.

Im confused, i thought the V2 was real Stiff? Wow, good job i read this, was just about to order one in an F60, may have to rethink.

I guess it depends on what you put it into. I know in a fully inserted bore-through they do, I have never had any experience with them in another club except hitting them for the hell of it on one of Golfsmiths LM's and really didnt like the feel of it. 757 and VS feels softer in my 905R.

Definitely depends what it's put in, I had one untipped in a 425 TP and it felt really soft for a 76 gram X. I have hit other in borethru heads and ones tipped and they feel much better. I'd recommend tipping it with any standard bore heads at least 1/2 inch.

V2 is a performer but i hate the feel. I have tipped them as much as 2 inches to get the X to play to an X. They are very soft because of the 4" PTS but that gives a fitter alot of room to work. It also makes a shaft that the average player with an ego problem can still play an X or even an S and still have some sucess :good:

I agree with L though. The Accra shaft has the same tech and a much better feel.

Cheers

Scott

Cobra F9 Speedback 7.0 Graphite Design Tour Ad GP 7x
Callaway Rogue SUB ZERO 13.5 HZRDUS Yellow 83x
Srixon U85 18 & 22  Steelfiber 110 X-cw 
Srixon 585  5/6 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
Srixon 785 7/8/9 Steelfiber 110 X-cw
 Cleveland 46,52 58 RTX3 Steelfiber 125 X-cw
Odyssey Mc2 Oworks
Srixon Zstar gloves, and Zstar XV Ball

Hated the feel. Just couldn't keep it.

Ditto, great results but my 85 gram felt like a 65 gram. The numbers were great but if you have no confidence at address it is worthless.

TM Qi10 LS 8.25°, Ventus Black 6X, tipped 1”, 44.75” 

TM BRNR Mini Driver at 12° (HWF), HZRDUS Black RDX 70 TX, tipped 1", 43.75"

TM Stealth+ 5w at 18.25°, HZRDUS Black RDX 80 6.5, tipped 1”, 42.5”

2023 Titleist T100 (4-GW), PX 6.0, +1/4”

Vokey SM10 54.12(D), 60.08(M), PX 6.0, +1/4"

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2, 360g, 35"

I have a V2 65 X installed in a 905S with a SS of 100-110 mph. True it's not the best feeling shaft, but if it's a good fit it flat out performs. I had previously tried a 905S with a V2 75 S and it was fantastic for me on a LM. I got a nice buy and had a 65 S, 65 X or 75 X to choose from. I think I made the right choice.

As far as the stiffness of these shafts go, pay attention to a couple of things:

1) The weight has a lot to do with the stiffness of the shaft, (this one specifically) and as you increase the weight it becomes increasingly stiffer and more stable. Check out the swing speed chart on the UST website. The 65g X flex fits the same range as the 95g S flex. Of course, as others have said, there is more to fitting the correct flex than just swing speed, as tempo, loading, and feel all play a part.

2) Also, these shafts have a 4" PTS, which can feel soft in a head with a fairly short bore depth. I think these shafts really excell in the bore through heads though, like Titleist, as it stiffens the tip significantly and really brings the spin down.

3) Finally, for all those considering this shaft, remember that feel is subjective. While many people clain this shaft to feel boardy, I think it feels incredibly smooth and tight, and I like the feel even better than Diamanas and Speeders. I think I'm probably in the minority with that opinion but just remember to demo this shaft on your own with an open mind, before making a judgement.

EXCELLENT informative post and 100% on par with my findings.I have alot of experience with these shafts and have personally used approx 20-25 V2's in different weights and different tipping combinations in the last few years for my own sticks.

After trying a few V2's i finally settled on the 65g in X flex in a driver,and after a few "experiments" eventually arrived at 1-1.25" tipping in a TM driver head with a fairly shallow insertion depth,and have now got it untipped in a full-bore insertion in a 907 D2. This is because of the lower weights tending to play "less true to flex" than the higher weight versions as stated above.

As mentioned above - im a mid-spin driver player and even in the so-called "high spin" Titleist D2 head my numbers are still very good because of the full bore insertion stiffening that tip end an awful lot.For example i have far less tipping in the 75g version in my 3 wood in the same X flex to achieve the same kind of feel....

Regarding "feel" - i LOVE it too with a passion.Call it boardy,call it rebar,infact call it whatever you like - im a lover in every way too and havn't even considered another shaft since i first tried it.

Ive got it in all my woods and all my hybrids......V2's rock for some of us :rolleyes: (UK +1 h/cap)

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):