Tour AD GP

dchoi87

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the 6s delivered over the weekend and was able to hit the range a couple times and also get in a short monitor session.

Compared to the diamana d+ 70s tipped 0.5 inch, the gp 6s felt more firm during the transition but more lively during the release which i liked. With the diamana i was getting 11 degree launch and 2700 rpm backspin. With the tour ad gp i was getting 12.5 degree launch and 2800 rpm backspin. Carry and total distance were up a few yards with the gp. Dispersion was pretty much a wash.

After reading the few reviews online i was expecting a very stiff shaft which is why i went with a non-tipped stiff, but true to the tour ad name, the shaft feels very smooth. I cant speak to the heavier weights but theres no reason to be intimidated by the gp in the 60 gram variety. I may decide to tip it a bit after more testing.

Excellent!!! I'm really looking to try or get one of these. I have the first gen. whiteboard in 73X , so I was thinking a GP 7X might be pretty awesome but like you thought it would be too much based off of what people were saying . I should just take the plunge LOL

Thanks for the review, and if you tip it I'd love to hear about how it goes!

I think the review on here in which the reviewer tipped his x flex an inch before testing scared some people off. These are popular in japan and korea, where you find a lot of smooth swingers compared to the us. I would definitely start with trying untipped as the tips are already quite stiff. But overall I found the shaft quite smooth.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree on the review, I wouldn't have tipped it without trying it first. I definitely don't have an aggressive transition. Looking at the profile of the GP it just seems like something I'd like, even though the WB is different. Sometimes, as much as I love the WB it feels "loose" on the downswing for me. I'll save my lunch money and give this shaft a go most likely LOL

Love my GP 6X!! Super low launch and spin in my new M1. May have to go swap my 9.5 for a 10.5 which is unusual for me. Very low. But point and shoot kind of easy to hit. Much flatter and stronger trajectory than DI or BB which both felt way too soft. Suprisingly I prefer the GP and hit it lower and farther than M9003. I agree, feels stable at tansition and whips through powerfully at release/impact (I'm late release.)

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Just received a gp 6x today and installed in to ping G head. I was only able to hit into my net a few swings so not much of a review, but definitely feels firmer than di 6x in my ping g25. I can swing easy with the di the gp definitely feels like it requires a more committed swing. Will post more results when I actually get a chance to play it. Will be difficult to compare apples to apples because I also just received my Ping G head today as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone using in a FWY yet? Anyone else finding crazy low launch with this shaft?

Mark, I've read hundreds of your posts and you are a wealth of knowledge. Where I live there are no fitters or LM's, just old fashioned buy and try haha. I've been using a first gen. whiteboard 73x for the last 5 years, it's good. However, sometimes it feels "whippy" on the downswing. I've been looking to try something different. I'm definitely interested in the GP for sometime now (among many many others). Could you compare the 2? I know the profiles are different, but I'm thinking because the WB has a soft butt, maybe that's where the "loose" feeling is coming from on the down swing, so perhaps something firmer in the hands might be better.

I just bought an M2 with an AD-GP6x, and I am shocked at how low this thing launches. I'm a *very* high ball hitter with a ~120 SS, and I hit flat bullets all day long with this thing.

I honestly think I'm sacrificing 10 or so yards of carry with this shaft, but once summer hits and these Texas fairways firm up, I'll be finding parts of the course I've never seen before.

Regarding overall performance, I'm extremely impressed with the integrity of the shaft—the only way you're going to "lose" one with this thing is if you come out of your posture and really screw one up.

Unlike another commenter's statement above, I don't feel like the tip is "active" at all. Instead, it feels solid—not boardy, but solid—from transition through impact.

Another commenter said the following about the Diamana Whiteboard:

Sometimes, as much as I love the WB it feels "loose" on the downswing for me.

I completely agree with this sentiment, and the WB has what I would call an "active" tip. By comparison, the AD-GP6x has a lively but steady tip; I never felt like it was even possible to lose one in the way that I've lost drives with the Diamana Whiteboard.

Finally, even though I have a pretty high SS, I can see the 6s being a great fit as well. I absolutely love the AD-BB6s, and I think the GP would play similarly but with a more stable tip.

PS: I am the type of player who games driver lofts as low as 7º. My M2 is a 9.5º, and I would have no problem gaming a 10.5º with the GP6x. I may even get a 10.5º head just for the hell of it (because of the GP).

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Hmm. Odd because I really didn't find it that low launch wise. It's the only shaft I've hit in the ping G 9* head but comparatively I hit the ping G 9* with gp6x what appears to be as high as my ping g25 9.5* with di6x. In fact I'm considering changing adapter setting in ping G to 8*.

There is a dogleg par 5 on my home course and one must hit a high drive to clear the trees to cut the corner. I had no problem doing that with the gp6x. i guess I would need a true apples to apples comparison because it could just be that the ping G is a higher launching head than the g25...

I will agree with how much more stable the gp6x feels compared to the di6x. You can really feel a lot of activity in the di6x whereas the gp6x just feels super solid without feeling boardy at all.

Mark, I've read hundreds of your posts and you are a wealth of knowledge. Where I live there are no fitters or LM's, just old fashioned buy and try haha. I've been using a first gen. whiteboard 73x for the last 5 years, it's good. However, sometimes it feels "whippy" on the downswing. I've been looking to try something different. I'm definitely interested in the GP for sometime now (among many many others). Could you compare the 2? I know the profiles are different, but I'm thinking because the WB has a soft butt, maybe that's where the "loose" feeling is coming from on the down swing, so perhaps something firmer in the hands might be better.

Yeah, never been a fan of the WB for that reason. It does not play well for me with late release / lag. Always felt timing was way off. GP would be IMO a bit closer feeling to a Blueboard but smoother kick. Really is a nice smooth shaft but for the most recent TourAD shafts it really does deliver as promised. DI & BB were wet noodles. M9003 was overly stout and boardy in the mid section. MT was ok. MJ was like a whiteboard, felt smooth but didn't perform great.

I think it must be the M1 head that is making me launch so low. I went from a 2007 Burner TP that is 8.5° with a beefy RUL 60X in it to this M1 9.5° with GP 6x. The GP is for sure lower for me than the HZRDUS Black was. I bought both shafts and tried side by side. HZRDUS had a tendency to overspin and go left. GP is just smooth down broadway. Can't hit much of a draw with GP. I manage a nice power fade that is higher than my straight shot but the stock swing is pretty low. Teeing it up doesn't help much either. May switch to the 10.5 M1 head.

Can't hit much of a draw with GP. I manage a nice power fade that is higher than my straight shot but the stock swing is pretty low. Teeing it up doesn't help much either. May switch to the 10.5 M1 head.

This has been my experience, too. I can see the 10.5º head cranked down to 10º, which would leave the face a bit more open (which is how I like my drivers).

I'm a bit annoyed by this, as I hit the 9.5º M2 really high on the LM. Out on the course with the GP, though, it's bullet city.

TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Thanks for help guys I appreciate it.

I've been wanting to try a GD shaft for a while, but something different than the profile of the WB. The BB was out, the DI I hear can play soft and if my WB feels soft then maybe the DI would have to be tipped. That would involve some doing out here where I live haha. The GP seems like it would be a winner.

I had the WB in a Titleist 913 D3 9.5* and hit is well but I hit it pretty darn high (same with everything else). I have a 9* 815 DBD now so I guessing with the GP I might have to loft up for the first time in my life based off what you guys are experiencing.

I do have a smooth/sleepy transition and mid/late release, if looking at my swing FO using the "clock" method I release it around 3:30 (I'm lefty) so not super late. Do you think a 7X would be too much for me? I know I like mid 70's in the driver.

I've been wanting to try a GD shaft for a while, but something different than the profile of the WB. The BB was out, the DI I hear can play soft and if my WB feels soft then maybe the DI would have to be tipped. That would involve some doing out here where I live haha. The GP seems like it would be a winner.

I had the WB in a Titleist 913 D3 9.5* and hit is well but I hit it pretty darn high (same with everything else). I have a 9* 815 DBD now so I guessing with the GP I might have to loft up for the first time in my life based off what you guys are experiencing.

I do have a smooth/sleepy transition and mid/late release, if looking at my swing FO using the "clock" method I release it around 3:30 (I'm lefty) so not super late. Do you think a 7X would be too much for me? I know I like mid 70's in the driver.

What's your swing speed? Not that that is the only thing that matters when choosing a shaft. The gp will definitely feel firmer in the hands than a whiteboard 63x, although I know you're playing the 73x. I don't have any experience with the white board 73x but do have the ahina 70x and to me the gp6x feels smoother than the ahina 70x...the gp6x feels a little easier for me to load vs the ahina 70x but I don't feel like I, giving anything up stability wise. Just a better feeling shaft to me. I don't know how the gp7x compares to the 6x.

What's your swing speed? Not that that is the only thing that matters when choosing a shaft. The gp will definitely feel firmer in the hands than a whiteboard 63x, although I know you're playing the 73x. I don't have any experience with the white board 73x but do have the ahina 70x and to me the gp6x feels smoother than the ahina 70x...the gp6x feels a little easier for me to load vs the ahina 70x but I don't feel like I, giving anything up stability wise. Just a better feeling shaft to me. I don't know how the gp7x compares to the 6x.

I haven't been on a monitor in a long time as the only opportunity was when the Nike Rep. would fly out here. I believe he had flightscope. I don't remember too much as this was pre WRX so I didn't really pay attention to numbers. I remember carry and ball speed. Carry was 291-298, ball speed in the 171-178 range. So maybe 115 ish IDK lol I'm a scratch golfer, I measure distance using a bushnell on the course. No wind, sea level, 86*f , flat tee shot, I'd say 290 is my realistic carry on average with the occasional "bomb" thrown in there.

Typical WRXer right LOL ;) :)

I'm gonna sell my AD-GP6x if anyone is interested. It's the black version from TM, and it plays 44.75" in my M2.

TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Toulon Atlanta 35"

GD AD shafts

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

• 2 weeks later...

For you mortal swingers out there. I had a chance to play a round today coming from a UST Gogo 6S into the 6S GP. I have finally found a shaft that I will not lose from side spin. Straight shot after straight shot. It does not have the "load" or smooth feel and kick of the Gogo, but no where near boardy. Just a very tip stiff point and shoot shaft. It will be in the bag for the rest of the season

I have finally found a shaft that I will not lose from side spin. Straight shot after straight shot. It does not have the "load" or smooth feel and kick of the Gogo, but no where near boardy. Just a very tip stiff point and shoot shaft.

Exactly this. The AD-GP just wants to go straight.

I'm selling a nearly new GP 6x Black Edition right now with an M1/M2/SLDR/R15 tip. PM for details.

TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Toulon Atlanta 35"

For you mortal swingers out there. I had a chance to play a round today coming from a UST Gogo 6S into the 6S GP. I have finally found a shaft that I will not lose from side spin. Straight shot after straight shot. It does not have the "load" or smooth feel and kick of the Gogo, but no where near boardy. Just a very tip stiff point and shoot shaft. It will be in the bag for the rest of the season

Nice! Thanks for sharing, I'm still hung up on this shaft. Funny you mention the Gogo as that's the other shaft I've been looking at. If I had the coin I'd buy both LOL

Good luck with the GP and hope the good results continue!

The GP is legit. I have it in a 6S tipped an inch (TM standard) in an M2. I also have a DI 6x I've been playing for a couple of years in a BCP, and a BB 6S tipped an inch as well that was in a G LS. IMO, the GP tipped an inch feels about the same firmness as the DI 6x with a little less kick. It took me a few swings to get used to it but I actually like the feel. With the M2 at 9.5* and BCP at 10* I think they launched about the same and roll out appeared to be good. This is range only. Look forward to being that guy with two drivers on the course this week.