SwingBlues review: RX PRIZM Golf Oakley Half Jacket 1.0 lenses custom ordered from adseyewear.com

SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy BluesMembers Posts: 3,442 ✭✭
This is a quick review of my experiences of trying to find a prescription Oakley lenses for my Oakley Half jacket 1.0. While I mentioned adseyewear.com I am not affiliated with them, or compensated by them for this review. I am just beyond happy to share my experience with my fellow WRXers especially those who are transitioning to prescription sunglasses.







About Me

Almost 50 years old but not quite. Don't hit the driver as long as I as compared to 10 years ago but thanks to my G LS, it still respectably out there. Now I need prescription eye wear because it is really difficult trying to see the ball past 200 yards in the air. Wrists starting to hurt, back never the same since a bad whiplash accident.



Yes, it sucks to get old.





About my Oakley Half Jacket (original 1.0)

I first saw the Oakley Half Jacket in Melbourne Australia in the early 2000s. At that time, it was the coolest looking high tech sunglasses especially in the carbon fiber finish. This was the first Oakley I bought and I still have them now. So my pair is really old but its wearing well...or lack of wear. I just replaced the ear socks and the nose bits but other than that, they are pristine - I have dropped them so many times but they still in tip top shape.



If there is any "love" in equipment, its with this style of frame. I fits me my face nicely, in style and reflects my personality to a tea. I love the winged "O" look, awesome on my face and I always love the full coverage of the XLJ lenses.



I tried the 2.0 but I can't stand the temple, its just too high and like the Flak Jacket. While the Radarlock temples are similar, it just does not look good with the Half Jacket 2.0. IMHO.





Needing Prescription eye wear now

Thanks to the CA DMV, I had to have an eye test. Really, me?



I checked my eye and it was 20/50 at best. So went to my optometrist. 1 hour later I got my prescription and I decided to splash some money on 2 pairs of eye wear. For driving. The Car.



Prescription sunglasses made my vision better. It felt like someone smear vaseline over my eyes without the glasses and with the glasses, details were phenomenal. My mag is 1.75, not sure if this is good or bad.



...but Golf. Oops. I forgot. I tried my regular driving sunglasses while golfing and it was good. Not great. I can finally see the ball but it sucks at setup and also for putting just because of the frame.



My driving glasses have the "rectangle" style of frame which is not conducive to the golf setup - you know, head up and eye down and all I see is the lower frame which is an absolute distraction.



Then I started my research for Oakley prescription sunglasses. I have the Oakley Half jacket and I also had a nice pair of Radarlock (Cavendish) with the G40 lenses and the Jade Iridium. Do I need another sun glass?





How much is that Oakley Prescription Sunglass, again?

I use to think $150 was expensive for Oakley sunglasses but BOY, was I shocked to see the prices of prescription Oakley sunglasses - the whole kit & kaboodle is around $500 for frame and lenses. So I decided, why not look for replacement prescription lenses for my Radarlock? Later as I discovered, with that style of frame, Oakley only makes the "inserts" for that style and it looks poxy ugly.



Then I started looking at just replacement prescription lenses for my Half Jacket. I went to a local B&M store and they said Oakley no longer made Half Jacket 1.0 prescription lenses as they now have the Half Jacket 2.0.



What?



So if the line "If its on the Internet, it must be true" (remember that tv ad?) - well, I searched and found 2 web sites that -may- be able to help and confirm the truth about Oakley and my 1.0 HJ.



Out of the 2 websites I looked, adseyewear.com was the one I chosen because they have a friendly, navigable and detail layout. I saw the "RX Replacement Lenses" drop down and I was away on Oakley prescription lenses.



A quick email to their customer service and they double confirmed that they can source Oakley Half Jacket 1.0 prescription lenses. Not only that - but in the new Oakley PRIZM Golf. And in my favorite XLJ style.



I asked about the G30 but that is no longer available but the VR28 was available. I liked the G30 but the only issue I had is that after 10+ years when I washed it with Dawn, the coating literally just "peel off".



I read a lot of good things about PRIZM and it was the best of the best. However, the PRIZM Golf made it more expensive at a little over $300 and probably the most I ever paid for a Oakley anything....but it was the best AND most of all - it fit my carbon fiber Half Jacket 1.0 and in XLJ. I could pick up the other lenses for way less but PRIZM is the best.



Now, unlike the Radarlock prescriptions which are embedded inserts - this was not an "insert" but it is the latest Oakley True Digital lenses. Supposed offering no distortion, detail and color. My experience with my rectangular glasses shows it does distort when moving around and while its OK for driving the car, it drives me nuts when I play gold. Distracting.



If you want to read more about it: Oakley True Digital lense



I was sold and I need to commend Julia (office manager). In all the emails, she was friendly, helpful and quick to respond and when you spend that kinda money, that's reassuring for a company I have never dealt with before and spending that sort of money. Filling in the prescription was easy, I just scanned my optometrist prescription and emailed it to Julia.



10 Business Days later after the payment, it's here.





PRIZM Oakley half Jacket 1.0 lenses

First of all, the lenses came with the Oakley box and the Oakley spiel inside.

WOW.



Talk about High Definition and pop and clarity. These are the DA BOMB with a color bias towards the rose tint. I love it.



These PRIZM are way, way, way better than my driving prescription sunglasses. I can now see my ball while in the setup position for my shot irons and driver. I can't wait to take these out to play.





So are the $300 prescription PRIZM Golf worth it?

Yes. Absolutely.



I need prescription glasses now. Driving the car and now driving the Ping, I can now see where the heck I am sending the ball.



The clarity has to be seen to be believed and most of all - it FITS my beloved carbon fiber Half Jacket, the original. It fits my face and in style that I like.





My Oakley with the installed prescription PRIZM Golf lenses, contrasted against the Revant Titanium polarized lenses:

Afterthoughts

The only bad thing out of this whole exercise was finding out Oakley's decision to stop the manufacturing of the lenses and frame of the 1.0 Half Jacket. Sure, the 2.0 is out there but I hate the arms/temples and on top of that, the 2.0 lense does not fit the 1.0....what is Oakley thinking...at least make it compatible as the difference is very minor and they could have solutioned around it but they chose not to.



Now I would be scared to drop these PRIZM, have to be careful at the 18th when the handshakes happen, I need to make sure its inside the cap and safe. I will cry if I scratch these babies....lol.



Thanks for reading, hope if helps you - if you are looking for great prescription sunglasses for Oakley.
Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)


Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members Posts: 3,442 ✭✭
    edited Jun 27, 2016 #2
    Thought I would follow up to the initial review.



    I've put in about 6 rounds with the prescription Oakley Half Jacket and if I was to describe it: WHERE THE **** HAVE I BEEN WITHOUT THESE glasses.



    Yes, I am shouting because, I can actually see my drive now & I can putt without any interference from the frame in my other prescription sun glasses.



    Also, I really like the PRIZM golf lenses. For me, its an improvement from the G30s and the G40s and its subjective but to me, it has more pop and because of the prescription, everything looks FREAKING HD like those silly midnight informercial ads.



    I really like how the Oakley Half Jacket frame still fits my face as I have aged. Not the young spring chicken I was when I bought these frame in Melbourne, Australia but dang, they feel and fit great. I had the 2.0 and they totally sux, not as wide around the temple area and the 2.0 just feel like they want to "jut out" in front of my eyes. These 1.0 are perfect.



    Oakley, what the **** are you thinking to retire these classic frames?!?!?



    Anyway, I've been shooting really great since I got these glasses. I can see where my ball went off the tee and I can find it. I can't recall losing a ball since I've had these sunglasses...actually, with the Ping G driver, its very hard not to bomb it straight. That thing is a rocket launcher with GPS guidance for the ball.



    No issues with the overall feel of the frame. The prescription lenses are way thicker than the normal Oakley lenses and they sit and stay fine on my face.



    IMPROVEMENT - may be if the lense builders can add some vents to the lense. I know some 3rd party do make them and it really helps in the heat to cool the area behind the lense.



    Last word - if you need prescription lenses, go get them and not be a stubborn, He-man like I once was and lose balls left and right cause you can't see where the ball went. You'll enjoy golf **** of a lot more, especially finding the ball 280 out image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' />
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

    Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)


    Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • e-mane-man Members Posts: 2,055 ✭✭
    Bumping an old thread. Swingblues -- any further thoughts on the RX Prizm golf lenses? Did you ever feel as if they weren't dark enough, I.e., don't block our enough light?
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members Posts: 3,442 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2017 #4
    e-man wrote:


    Bumping an old thread. Swingblues -- any further thoughts on the RX Prizm golf lenses? Did you ever feel as if they weren't dark enough, I.e., don't block our enough light?




    I heard some complaints about Prizm not being dark enough in bright conditions. I live in Los Angeles, its sunny here almost 365.



    Now I purchased this in May last year, played in ALL sorts of conditions including full on sunny 105F+ days to overcast, raining days and finishing literally almost in the dark.



    For bright, sunny conditions, I have NEVER felt the prizm glasses did not cut down the brightness...look at it this way, I never had the urge to go get myself a pair of darker prescription lenses and trust me, I would have if I felt the prizm played like clear lenses on sunny days. They do not and frankly, having owned some non-prescription Oakley G lenses, these are no different from the other prior lenses except this has more "pop" in the color but after a while your eyes and mind adjust to it.



    In overcast conditions, these are lenses are very functional as well. Even though I can still see well without the prescription lenses, I have never had the urge to take them off in order to see the ball...even in the last light of twilight. Now, I use to have a pair of radarlocks with the jade iridium lenses and those, for low light, do not work for me and I have to put them on the top of my cap when it gets too dark.



    So you're probably thinking, how can a pair of lenses work in bright light and low light...I dunno but for ME, it does. I think Oakley found a nice balance of functional, protection and clarity/detail.



    Absolutely no complaints about the quality of the lenses and best of all, its mounted on a frame that suits my face and looks cool.



    For me, Oakley hit out of the ball park on this lense. Still stoked.
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

    Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)


    Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • e-mane-man Members Posts: 2,055 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2017 #5
    Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I currently own flak 2.0s with grey polarized RX lenses. I believe the light transmission rate on them is around 17%. The light transmission rate on the prizm golf lenses is 30%. Because prescription lenses are so expensive, and because I'm only entitled to one set of glasses a year through my insurance, I opted for Gray polarized as I wanted to use them for all outdoor purposes – kids baseball games, vacation, driving, and of course golf.



    We typically tee off at around 6 AM and are finished by 9 on the weekends. Sometimes it's overcast in the morning and what I've found is that the gray polarized are just too dark for that time of day. So, in reality, I would only be wearing the prizm golf lenses for golf, and 95% of the time I would use them in low light conditions. If they are not dark enough, I can switch to the gray polarized.



    The other thing I should mention is that I've had several eye surgeries over the last few years so it is very important to protect my eyes. I appreciate your perspective that the prism golf lenses are dark enough for you, but that may not apply to others.



    What would be ideal is if the prism golf lenses came in polarized. I know there is a prism daily polarized lens, but the light transmission rate on that lens is about 14% which is even darker than my current Gray polarized lenses.
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members Posts: 3,442 ✭✭
    No kidding on the RX prices, I almost died of sticker shock when I started down this path. This was when I thought a $180 pair of Cavendish Radarlocks with 2 lenses were too expensive at $150...little did I know what RX lenses were. Just the lenses.



    There are some thoughts that polarized glasses are terrible for green reading. I've never used this myself on the golf course but you should look into that angle before assuming polarized glasses are good for golf.
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

    Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)


    Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • MillerLowLifeMillerLowLife Members Posts: 673 ✭✭
    Thanks for the review! I bought EVZero with PRIZM golf about 2 weeks. I too was amazed how good everything looked in them. Can't wait to golf in them as I don't play with out shades on.
  • Zip-in-ZZip-in-Z Z-Z's First Love - 1970 Members Posts: 797 ✭✭
    Currently have the Half Jacket 2.0 XL in prescription G30's now for 2 years .... really like them and was told the Prism's are the way to go. I did some comparison shopping before we left home for 3 months in the Desert, the replacement cost for just the lenses were $420.00 Cdn and $308.00 US, here in Palm Springs. My vision hasn't changed all that much, hoping to get one more season out of them before reordering, found this thread very helpful .... tks for sharing.



    Cheers



    David.
    Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
    Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
    Ping G400 22* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Tour AD Di85 Stiff
    Titleist SM5 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
    Sun Mountain C130 bag V1 Sport Cart
    Garmin Approach G80
  • e-mane-man Members Posts: 2,055 ✭✭
    I don't have any issues reading greens with my gray polarized lenses. Then again, I never understood how to read greens in terms of the glare or lack of glare created by the grain.
  • e-mane-man Members Posts: 2,055 ✭✭
    Hey swing blues. Any further updates on the prism golf RX lenses? I am heading over to lens crafters this afternoon to order a pair.
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members Posts: 3,442 ✭✭
    edited Dec 31, 2017 #11
    e-man wrote:


    Hey swing blues. Any further updates on the prism golf RX lenses? I am heading over to lens crafters this afternoon to order a pair.




    I still wear them every time I golf. No issues whatsoever if I play in the dimming light or in the full blazing sun here in Los Angeles. Still luv that it brings out the contrast on the green & it protect my eyes just fine and I can spot the ball much better than without.



    I also replaced the lense in my classic pair of Ray Ban Balorama with rx lenses. Made with the much darker lense to match the original but it doesn't even come close to comparing to Prizm in detail & clarity. Quality Oakley lenses for sure.



    One word with Oakley lenses and washing them after a sweaty day in the sun. I know Dawn is a popular soap here but be real careful not to spread that stuff on the lenses and if you use it, use just a wee bit with lots of water. I had the old pair of Oakley lenses completely lose the finish...ugh, lucky they weren't rx
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

    Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)


    Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • jpdxjpdx Members Posts: 1,601 ✭✭
    edited Jan 4, 2018 #12
    SwingBlues wrote:

    e-man wrote:


    Hey swing blues. Any further updates on the prism golf RX lenses? I am heading over to lens crafters this afternoon to order a pair.




    I still wear them every time I golf. No issues whatsoever if I play in the dimming light or in the full blazing sun here in Los Angeles. Still luv that it brings out the contrast on the green & it protect my eyes just fine and I can spot the ball much better than without.



    I also replaced the lense in my classic pair of Ray Ban Balorama with rx lenses. Made with the much darker lense to match the original but it doesn't even come close to comparing to Prizm in detail & clarity. Quality Oakley lenses for sure.



    One word with Oakley lenses and washing them after a sweaty day in the sun. I know Dawn is a popular soap here but be real careful not to spread that stuff on the lenses and if you use it, use just a wee bit with lots of water. I had the old pair of Oakley lenses completely lose the finish...ugh, lucky they weren't rx




    Like me, shocked at the price of RX Oakley's. Was told by the shop not to use dish soap if you've got any type of special coating. even something mild like dawn will eventually erode it. I use a spray or just some plain water and wipe with one of those microfiber cloths. have had my Golf Prizm's since 2016 - actually about the same time you got them - 0 scratches using the method of cleaning as I was instructed. I have Flak 2.0's and it's hard to play without them.



    The only issue I have is the last....10min of light at the end of a twilight round. Other than that, amazing lenses.
    Srixon z785 hzrdus black 6.5
    Nike
    Vapor Fly 3 wood 15* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike
    Vapor Fly 3 hybrid 20* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 DG Pro s300 -2*
    Nike
    Vapor Pro 4-PW DG s300 -2*
    Nike
    Engage 54* SS and 58* DS
    Nike Method Matter m4-12
    Nike Air Hybrid II Bag

    b-team/travel bag
    Nike Vapor Flex 440 driver 9.5* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike Vapor Pro driver 11.5* Diamana Blueboard
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 wood stock r flex shaft
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 hybrid stock r flex haft

    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4-AW DG Pro S300 -2*
    Nike Engage 50* SS 54* SS 60* DS
    Nike Method Origin b2-01
    Cure CX-2
    Nike Air Sport II and Hyperadapt
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members Posts: 3,442 ✭✭
    edited Jan 5, 2018 #13
    jpdx wrote:

    SwingBlues wrote:

    e-man wrote:


    Hey swing blues. Any further updates on the prism golf RX lenses? I am heading over to lens crafters this afternoon to order a pair.




    I still wear them every time I golf. No issues whatsoever if I play in the dimming light or in the full blazing sun here in Los Angeles. Still luv that it brings out the contrast on the green & it protect my eyes just fine and I can spot the ball much better than without.



    I also replaced the lense in my classic pair of Ray Ban Balorama with rx lenses. Made with the much darker lense to match the original but it doesn't even come close to comparing to Prizm in detail & clarity. Quality Oakley lenses for sure.



    One word with Oakley lenses and washing them after a sweaty day in the sun. I know Dawn is a popular soap here but be real careful not to spread that stuff on the lenses and if you use it, use just a wee bit with lots of water. I had the old pair of Oakley lenses completely lose the finish...ugh, lucky they weren't rx




    Like me, shocked at the price of RX Oakley's. Was told by the shop not to use dish soap if you've got any type of special coating. even something mild like dawn will eventually erode it. I use a spray or just some plain water and wipe with one of those microfiber cloths. have had my Golf Prizm's since 2016 - actually about the same time you got them - 0 scratches using the method of cleaning as I was instructed. I have Flak 2.0's and it's hard to play without them.



    The only issue I have is the last....10min of light at the end of a twilight round. Other than that, amazing lenses.




    Plain water? how do you get the oily sweat off, especially around the nose piece rubber and sides? or on the glass? yeah, be super careful with stuff like dawn. great advice...now you're scaring me into not using any dawn at all. i add only 1 drop in a large bowl of water and basically just swirl the glass in the bowl.



    I once ordered the flak 2.0 frame by mistake one time but the frame does not fit my face as nice as the 1.0 half jackets does. I didn't care for the 2.0 half jacket either, I think Oakley butchered that line with the 2.0.



    The 1.0 thin frame suits me great, I really like it. Now 10 mins before dark is pretty darn good. Same here as well...but my vision is super blury in that poor light so I feel its better to keep wearing the glasses image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

    Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)


    Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • jpdxjpdx Members Posts: 1,601 ✭✭
    The microfiber cloth takes the oils off the lenses just fine without scratching. Almost like it just soaks it up. Insta clear lens cleaner if it's really bad. I take the lenses off the oakleys and clean the frame separately.



    I mean I'm no expert and just passing along info from someone I assume knows a lot more about lenses than I. Lol.
    Srixon z785 hzrdus black 6.5
    Nike
    Vapor Fly 3 wood 15* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike
    Vapor Fly 3 hybrid 20* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 DG Pro s300 -2*
    Nike
    Vapor Pro 4-PW DG s300 -2*
    Nike
    Engage 54* SS and 58* DS
    Nike Method Matter m4-12
    Nike Air Hybrid II Bag

    b-team/travel bag
    Nike Vapor Flex 440 driver 9.5* Diamana Blueboard
    Nike Vapor Pro driver 11.5* Diamana Blueboard
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 wood stock r flex shaft
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 3 hybrid stock r flex haft

    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4-AW DG Pro S300 -2*
    Nike Engage 50* SS 54* SS 60* DS
    Nike Method Origin b2-01
    Cure CX-2
    Nike Air Sport II and Hyperadapt
  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members Posts: 3,442 ✭✭
    jpdx wrote:


    The microfiber cloth takes the oils off the lenses just fine without scratching. Almost like it just soaks it up. Insta clear lens cleaner if it's really bad. I take the lenses off the oakleys and clean the frame separately.



    I mean I'm no expert and just passing along info from someone I assume knows a lot more about lenses than I. Lol.




    No worries, hey appreciate the tip image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Good to hear from another rx oakley user as well. i will try it 4 sure. I think I will leave my lenses on for cleaning, unfortunately, taking them off the 1.0 half jackets frame is a b*tch at best and these lenses are thicker than the stock.
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

    Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)


    Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • Rory4PresRory4Pres Members Posts: 913 ✭✭
    SwingBlues wrote:


    This is a quick review of my experiences of trying to find a prescription Oakley lenses for my Oakley Half jacket 1.0. While I mentioned adseyewear.com I am not affiliated with them, or compensated by them for this review. I am just beyond happy to share my experience with my fellow WRXers especially those who are transitioning to prescription sunglasses.







    About Me

    Almost 50 years old but not quite. Don't hit the driver as long as I as compared to 10 years ago but thanks to my G LS, it still respectably out there. Now I need prescription eye wear because it is really difficult trying to see the ball past 200 yards in the air. Wrists starting to hurt, back never the same since a bad whiplash accident.



    Yes, it sucks to get old.





    About my Oakley Half Jacket (original 1.0)

    I first saw the Oakley Half Jacket in Melbourne Australia in the early 2000s. At that time, it was the coolest looking high tech sunglasses especially in the carbon fiber finish. This was the first Oakley I bought and I still have them now. So my pair is really old but its wearing well...or lack of wear. I just replaced the ear socks and the nose bits but other than that, they are pristine - I have dropped them so many times but they still in tip top shape.



    If there is any "love" in equipment, its with this style of frame. I fits me my face nicely, in style and reflects my personality to a tea. I love the winged "O" look, awesome on my face and I always love the full coverage of the XLJ lenses.



    I tried the 2.0 but I can't stand the temple, its just too high and like the Flak Jacket. While the Radarlock temples are similar, it just does not look good with the Half Jacket 2.0. IMHO.





    Needing Prescription eye wear now

    Thanks to the CA DMV, I had to have an eye test. Really, me?



    I checked my eye and it was 20/50 at best. So went to my optometrist. 1 hour later I got my prescription and I decided to splash some money on 2 pairs of eye wear. For driving. The Car.



    Prescription sunglasses made my vision better. It felt like someone smear vaseline over my eyes without the glasses and with the glasses, details were phenomenal. My mag is 1.75, not sure if this is good or bad.



    ...but Golf. Oops. I forgot. I tried my regular driving sunglasses while golfing and it was good. Not great. I can finally see the ball but it sucks at setup and also for putting just because of the frame.



    My driving glasses have the "rectangle" style of frame which is not conducive to the golf setup - you know, head up and eye down and all I see is the lower frame which is an absolute distraction.



    Then I started my research for Oakley prescription sunglasses. I have the Oakley Half jacket and I also had a nice pair of Radarlock (Cavendish) with the G40 lenses and the Jade Iridium. Do I need another sun glass?





    How much is that Oakley Prescription Sunglass, again?

    I use to think $150 was expensive for Oakley sunglasses but BOY, was I shocked to see the prices of prescription Oakley sunglasses - the whole kit & kaboodle is around $500 for frame and lenses. So I decided, why not look for replacement prescription lenses for my Radarlock? Later as I discovered, with that style of frame, Oakley only makes the "inserts" for that style and it looks poxy ugly.



    Then I started looking at just replacement prescription lenses for my Half Jacket. I went to a local B&M store and they said Oakley no longer made Half Jacket 1.0 prescription lenses as they now have the Half Jacket 2.0.



    What?



    So if the line "If its on the Internet, it must be true" (remember that tv ad?) - well, I searched and found 2 web sites that -may- be able to help and confirm the truth about Oakley and my 1.0 HJ.



    Out of the 2 websites I looked, adseyewear.com was the one I chosen because they have a friendly, navigable and detail layout. I saw the "RX Replacement Lenses" drop down and I was away on Oakley prescription lenses.



    A quick email to their customer service and they double confirmed that they can source Oakley Half Jacket 1.0 prescription lenses. Not only that - but in the new Oakley PRIZM Golf. And in my favorite XLJ style.



    I asked about the G30 but that is no longer available but the VR28 was available. I liked the G30 but the only issue I had is that after 10+ years when I washed it with Dawn, the coating literally just "peel off".



    I read a lot of good things about PRIZM and it was the best of the best. However, the PRIZM Golf made it more expensive at a little over $300 and probably the most I ever paid for a Oakley anything....but it was the best AND most of all - it fit my carbon fiber Half Jacket 1.0 and in XLJ. I could pick up the other lenses for way less but PRIZM is the best.



    Now, unlike the Radarlock prescriptions which are embedded inserts - this was not an "insert" but it is the latest Oakley True Digital lenses. Supposed offering no distortion, detail and color. My experience with my rectangular glasses shows it does distort when moving around and while its OK for driving the car, it drives me nuts when I play gold. Distracting.



    If you want to read more about it: Oakley True Digital lense



    I was sold and I need to commend Julia (office manager). In all the emails, she was friendly, helpful and quick to respond and when you spend that kinda money, that's reassuring for a company I have never dealt with before and spending that sort of money. Filling in the prescription was easy, I just scanned my optometrist prescription and emailed it to Julia.



    10 Business Days later after the payment, it's here.





    PRIZM Oakley half Jacket 1.0 lenses

    First of all, the lenses came with the Oakley box and the Oakley spiel inside.

    WOW.



    Talk about High Definition and pop and clarity. These are the DA BOMB with a color bias towards the rose tint. I love it.



    These PRIZM are way, way, way better than my driving prescription sunglasses. I can now see my ball while in the setup position for my shot irons and driver. I can't wait to take these out to play.





    So are the $300 prescription PRIZM Golf worth it?

    Yes. Absolutely.



    I need prescription glasses now. Driving the car and now driving the Ping, I can now see where the heck I am sending the ball.



    The clarity has to be seen to be believed and most of all - it FITS my beloved carbon fiber Half Jacket, the original. It fits my face and in style that I like.





    My Oakley with the installed prescription PRIZM Golf lenses, contrasted against the Revant Titanium polarized lenses:

    Afterthoughts

    The only bad thing out of this whole exercise was finding out Oakley's decision to stop the manufacturing of the lenses and frame of the 1.0 Half Jacket. Sure, the 2.0 is out there but I hate the arms/temples and on top of that, the 2.0 lense does not fit the 1.0....what is Oakley thinking...at least make it compatible as the difference is very minor and they could have solutioned around it but they chose not to.



    Now I would be scared to drop these PRIZM, have to be careful at the 18th when the handshakes happen, I need to make sure its inside the cap and safe. I will cry if I scratch these babies....lol.



    Thanks for reading, hope if helps you - if you are looking for great prescription sunglasses for Oakley.




    Nice call with the carbon fiber frames! I love my prizm lenses too.
  • CwingCwing Members Posts: 8,047 ✭✭
    You guys use the golf prisms outside of golf or are they a one trick pony for you?
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G25 5-U (coming soon = G410)
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
  • ChrisO72ChrisO72 Members Posts: 50 ✭✭
    Guys I have a question on this older thread if someone sees it - for those that have a progressive prescription in their normal glasses, if you are getting a prescription in your sunglasses for golf do you just go for a distance lens? Any issues for putting?
    WITB:
    Ping G400Max 9dg Tour 65S
    Ping G400 2h Tour 85S
    Titleist AP3 4-GW TT AMT White X100
    Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.08M, 58.08M
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5
Sign In or Register to comment.