Ping Tour-W

Ping Tour-W

The Ping Tour-W Wedge is designed for golfers seeking a high-performing, versatile option around the green and from the sand. Its machined face and grooves combine with a compact, tear-drop head shape to improve control from any lie. A tungsten toe weight and small Custom Tuning Port increase the MOI (moment of inertia) for forgiveness while enhancing club head feel.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone provide a review?

Would love to hear from people who are playing PING i10 irons in particular. What bounce/loft/set-up did you go for and why?

Thanks

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went to G10 irons this year which I reviewed in Irons section. Went 4-uw and only had room in bag for 1 more wedge. To get a wedge that would serve doubly duty in sand,flops, short pitches,and some full shots I stayed with Ping because of all the options in the Tour W. Sand is fairly firm at my CC so I got a Black Nickel Tour W 56/10 T Grind , D6 , with the same AWT Stiff/cushion shaft as in G10s. After two months play I have to say this is one of if not best wedge I have owned in 30+ years. It really does everything I ask it to do and the great thing also is no need to figure "which wedge should I use"? The thing looks great to and that is coming from an old "shinny chrome" guy. I have put a little more wrist break in a lot of my green side pitches and that techique along with this wedge has SUBSTANTIALLY elevated my short game.I know there are a lot of good wedges out there and the Tour W is one of them.

I have a 52 Blk Ni and a 56/10 satin, Purple code (1.75* flat). Went WRX and got S400 shafts w/ cushin, +1/4 in lenght, T Grinds, Swing Weight D-4 & D-6 , 1/2 club Strong on the 52, 1/2 club weak on the 56 (don' t you just love the WRX service?!?!)

Found them not so good on the spin production. Acceptable but a distant second to my RACs in this area. However these wedges are very forgiving. The 56 is awesome out of the sand; we play in medium firm bunkers at my hm course. It took a little getting used to the feel of these wedges (damped feel at impact) but I can knock down either wedge and produce a lot the same shots that I could with my RACs. I just can't get the kind of stopping action that I like. Particularly around the greens on 10, 20, 30, 40 yd shots.

I have the 56 parked for now and I am using a 58* (bent 57*) RAC Z wedge. I was at the 2008 Masters practice rounds and noticed Cabrerra used a 52 Tour-W but a Volkey lob; actually saw him hole out on #3 for 2! and chip in from an impossible angle on #6 ...both times using his Volkey!!

I may go back to the 56* to give it another chance....it cost a pretty penny and I am feeling guilty about not using it.

• 2 weeks later...

Have the 52, 56 and 60 in black nickel finish and have been using them for around 3 months. I had Ping WRX install the constant weight, flighted True Temper Tour Concept shafts (which I am also using in my G10 irons). Very, very happy with my purchase. I had it narrowed to the Ping Tour-W and the Cleveland CG14's. I thought the Tour-W's were a bit more forgiving on mishits on full wedge shots, but thought the CG14's imparted just a bit more spin. It was pretty much a toss up for me. The thing that sealed the deal for me was that I could have the Tour Concept shaft installed by Ping WRX, so I went with the Tour-W. I really love the Tour Concept shafts and for me, it is great to have a constant weight shaft throughout my irons and wedges.

The Tour-W's, especially in the black nickel finish, look fantastic. They also look great at address and are very versatile scoring weapons. I have had no issues with balls being chewed up (ala Vokey) which is nice, but in my experience the spin is not quite as strong as with Vokey or Cleveland CG14, CG12, so that is the trade off. To be clear, I am not saying the Tour-W's are deficient in the spin department. Indeed, I think they provide plenty of spin. I am just pointing out that compared to Vokey and Cleveland, which are probably the spin category leaders compared to all wedges on the market, the Tour-W's don't spin as much. Looking at the Golf Digest and Golf Magazine reviews, it looks like they came to the same conclusion.

Mizuno JPX-900 | Fujikura Speeder EVO II 661
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 17*
Mizuno JPX-900 Hybrid 21*
Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

I've been playing a 54.10 and a 58.08 and am very pleased with the the short range versatility of these wedges particularly from bunkers and rough around the green. However the one negative I have found in these wedges is they are very inconsistent distance on longer full swings. I'm not getting any more than 95 yds out of the 54 and I hit my old TP 54 in the 105-110 range consistently.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I was playing a Vokey 6004, which was OK out here in NM on the hard fast fairways and lighter rouch I tend to play on most of the time. But I played in our state am about a 6 weeks ago at a course that was watered heavily, and it played much more like a lush midwest course. My Vokey just didn't work well there. After the first round, I went and put a black nickel finish Tour W 60.08 in my bag, and it has not come out since. It has been very accurate, I have been dead on distance wise with this thing since I dialed it in about a week after I got it. I swear I have hit more shots to 8 feet or less with this wedge in the last month than I had it the past year with the Vokey. I don't know if it is the slight bit of forgiveness, but my distance control has been great with this club. I'm thinking of picking up a 52 and 56 to go with it.....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

• 3 months later...

My set up is G2 HL 3iron, i10 4 thru PW, 52* M/B wedge, and 58/8 Tour-W wedge.

Let me just say, I like the Tour-W wedge.

Feel :

I've been playing Ping for the past few years. So I'm used to the 'lack' of feel.

But the wedge provides enough feel.

And what can I say. Pings are light. And launch the ball high.

Trajectory is high, but distance control is surprisingly accurate. I have the stock AWT Stiff.

Spin :

These do put good amount of spin. Compared to the Fourteen wedges, not as much. But more than Mizuno MP wedges.

What's ironic is, even w/ milled face and grooves on the Tour-W, I put more juice on Nike One Black w/ my M/B wedge.

Accuracy :

If you aim correctly, this wedge can deliver.

I really like the wedge. And distance wise, both the M/B 52 and this Tour-W 58 fills the distance very well, alongside my i10 irons.

• 1 month later...

A kid on my team has 52,56,60 and he hasnt complained about them.  Just not a fan of cast.

Mizuno ST200 10.5* - Tensei Blue 70x
Ping G 13* - Tour 80x
Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi - 3i Mitsubishi Tensei White 90TX
Mizuno MP-18 4-9 C Taper Lite X
Mizuno T7 46/53/58
Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s

• 1 month later...

I was playing the spin milled wedges, bought the S57 irons and needed new wedges. So I picked up the Tour W and loved them to begin with. The more I played with them I realized the Vokeys were a better fit for me. It's a good wedge, no real complaints. Just not IMO as good as the spin milled wedges and for the same price you might as well go with the Vokey. They do really hold up well and I have been tearing the cover off of pretty hard balls so they will bite.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand why I've never had luck with these wedges, considering how much I like other Ping clubs. Nevertheless, I couldn't get much out of the 47* Tour-W I tested today. I didn't hit it as far as some 50 and 52 degree clubs I tried, and I wasn't very consistent or accurate with it. I'm pretty sure it's that AWT shaft since I've had similar control problems in some I10's with the AWT. I bet I'd do much better with a Dynamic Gold, but there's none avaliable to test.

As far as the rest of the club is concerned, it's fine but didn't stand out to me. The Tour W feels somewhat soft but I didn't get much feedback out of it. Spin was middle of the pack but still enough. I will say the club is very attractive, especially from address, and I like Ping's white alignment line. And I do love Ping's willingness to customize your clubs - something that Nike really needs to work on.

I think the Tour-W could be a good club but I'd avoid getting it with the AWT shaft.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick follow-up to my prior review:

I have had these in the bag for a year now, and the honeymoon has not ended. I absolutely love the Tour-W wedges. Ping really hit a home run with these. Every now and then I will borrow my friends Vokeys and Cleveland CG14's to simply check myself to see if I still prefer the Tour-W, and I still prefer the Tour-W. Very consistent in the distance department, nice forgiveness on full wedge shots, good spin (middle of the pack spin, not as much as Vokey or CG14's, but still more than enough for me), feel is subjective, but I like the feel quite a bit (previous wedges were Ping M/B's).

A substantial part of my overall opinion of these wedges are the shafts, namely, True Temper Tour Concept that I custom ordered through Ping WRX (the best!). I play this shaft in all of my irons as well, and all shafts are the same weight, which really helps in controlling distance.

Mizuno JPX-900 | Fujikura Speeder EVO II 661
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 17*
Mizuno JPX-900 Hybrid 21*
Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

• 2 months later...

My son has the I10's in 4-W. These are all 1 degree weak. He has the 52 and 58 Tour-W wedges.

Vessel XV Cart White
Ping G430 Max 12* Ventus TR 5R

Ping G430 Max 3W Ventus Red 6R

Ping G425 4/5/6 Hybrid Regular 
Ping I525 7-U Alta Slate Stiff+1/4 Blue Dot Dot
Ping Glide 4.0 52/56/60 Steelfiber F3 +1/4 Blue Dot
LAB DF 2.1 Blue 35.5 67* 

Titleist Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star

Thinking about getting S57 4-9 (4i bent 2* strong, 5i bent 1* strong) - other clubs are Driver, 3W, 18* hybrid

Tour-W Black Ni 46/09, 50/12, 54/10, 58/08

I plan on using all of the wedges for full swings, so I wanted even loft spacing.

I went a degree strong on the PW because I want to decrease the pretty large gap that I would have in going from 42.5* 9i to 47* PW.

I plan to use the 50* and 54* for chipping, 54* and 58* for pitching and bunkers. I take average divots - not a picker, but not a digger

Comments welcome. How do the Black Nickel look? Is the 58/08 okay for sand? It seems to have a wider sole, so I'm thinking that it's effective bounce will be more than the stated 8*. If the 8* bounce is not enough for the sand, I would go to the 58/10. But the 58/10 is only available in Brushed Silver. If I did that, I would get all the wedges in brushed silver because I want all wedges to be the same finish. Would brushed silver go better with the S57 irons or does black nickel blend well also?

Has anyone played the S57 PW and the Tour-W 47*? What are the similarities and differences, advantages and disadvantages to using one over the other?

Thanks!

Ping G410 LST 10.5 Speeder 661 Evolution IV X
Cobra Big Tour 13.5 3 wood Ventus Blue 7 X
Cobra Speedzone 18.5 5 wood @ 17.5 Ventus Blue 8 X
Titleist TS3 21 degree hybrid @ 20 Atmos TS Blue HB 8 X
Ping i210 5-9 Power Spec Steelfiber i110 S hardstepped
Ping Glide 2 Stealth SS 45, 50, 55, 60 KBS 610 Wedge 120 S
Ping Sigma G Ketch B

• 2 weeks later...

Probably a good buy for better players or longtime PING users. Not a dart thrower like the CG-14 or Vokey, but has a small, well-balanced head that plays well out of the rough. I use mine primarily from the fringe or short grass, as it is not as good out of the sand as the CG-14. It has a good look, but there are easier clubs to hit on the market. The key is to know your own skill level and strengths before looking into this wedge.

• 1 month later...