What's the deal with Scottsdale?

This year is the first time I've really dove headfirst into golf in terms of learning about manufacturers and pro players... and it seems like a lot of them are based on Scottsdale, AZ. Is this some golf mecca I should visit? Why?
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]"Boy that is fun to watch right there. This thing's gonna roll a hundred and fifty yards"[/font]

Comments

• SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,301 ClubWRX
    The only OEM that I know of in the Phoenix/Scotsdale area is Ping. Some of the rest are in California (Carlsbad). Scotsdale is just an upscale area with lots of upscale courses (many of them real private). Good dry weather (other than the scorching hot summers) for golfing and likely some beneficial taxes for the the Pros. Add in that it is a major airport hub and easy to get almost anywhere, from there make it easy for the Pro's to base themselves out of there.

Been there a several times, but I prefer the Palm Springs area.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
  • evgolferevgolfer Members Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Ping

PXG

Pure Grips (Mesa)

Boccieri Golf

Scottsdale is an upscale area as Socrates wrote in his post. Nice homes, nice private tracks. Your buck goes a little further here than it does in California.

Also, temperate weather all year round. When the golf season ends everywhere else, it is 74 degrees out here and we're wearing shorts. Summers are toasty, but then the pros are out on tour during that time.
  • PapaJohickPapaJohick ShortKnocker Bombs Charleston, SCMembers Posts: 4,524 ✭✭
    new level golf is there as well i believe
    Forever Changing at this point.......
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,890 ✭✭
    evgolfer wrote:

Ping

PXG

Pure Grips (Mesa)

Boccieri Golf

Scottsdale is an upscale area as Socrates wrote in his post. Nice homes, nice private tracks. Your buck goes a little further here than it does in California.

Also, temperate weather all year round. When the golf season ends everywhere else, it is 74 degrees out here and we're wearing shorts. Summers are toasty, but then the pros are out on tour during that time.
    Toasty?! What do you consider hot?
  • teejaywhyteejaywhy Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon Members Posts: 7,176 ✭✭

This year is the first time I've really dove headfirst into golf in terms of learning about manufacturers and pro players... and it seems like a lot of them are based on Scottsdale, AZ. Is this some golf mecca I should visit? Why?

Can't imagine choosing a place to visit because of the reasons you mention.

I do like to play golf and there certainly lots of options for that in the greater PHX area including Scottsdale.
  • Dry TortugaDry Tortuga Members Posts: 103
    Yep stupid idea on my part just checking thanks
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]"Boy that is fun to watch right there. This thing's gonna roll a hundred and fifty yards"[/font]
  • Sun DevilSun Devil Members Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    Scottsdale is in a great part of the metro Phx area. The area just oozes golf. Great night life. Great shopping. Great dining. I love it here, although my next destination will be along the gulf of Florida. I need some OCEAN.
    Titleist 910 D2 Diamana Stiff
    M2 HL 3wood
    Ping G25 hybrid TourAd UT-85s
    Callaway Apex CF16 Irons with Aerotech Steel Fiber I95 Stiff; Soft Stepped; +1/2"; flat 1 degree
    Cleveland Wedges 50,56,60 with Nippon N.S.Pro 1050GH S
    Ping Sigma G Tyne Putter
    ProV1
  • YMarkYMark Members Posts: 1,534 ✭✭
    Socrates wrote:

Wow. Different strokes. No chance would I pick PS over Scottsdale.
    Mark
    Havin fun in the AZ sun
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,222 ✭✭

Yep stupid idea on my part just checking thanks

Great place to visit in the winter. Great golf, great weather, great restaurants and some sight seeing. No chance I want to go there during the summer. Tuscon has some nice golf as well. The city isn’t as nice in my opinion.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, HW
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS, 58
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • Dr. HackDr. Hack Members Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited May 19, 2019 8:29am #11

@YMark said:
    Socrates wrote:

Wow. Different strokes. No chance would I pick PS over Scottsdale.

Me too. Palm Springs is great but I think we have more diversity of course design here (and more courses in general). For example, the newer Coore-Crenshaw courses like We Ko Pa and Talking Stick. Interesting more linksy courses like Ambiente and Southern Dunes. Projects from Tom Wisekopf and Phil Mickelson, etc. PS on the other hand is saturated with overly-penal Pete Dye and Nicklaus courses. Also, in my opinion, the most scenic courses here blow palm springs' best out of the water. But again, I'de go play there tomorrow in a heartbeat if I could take the vacation!