Playing in Fog, Rain, Sleet, Snow, Hail, Dark of Night, Etc.

So I thought I's start a thread for folks to share their senior golf experiences playing in fog or other types of bad weather & challenging conditions.

I had about 4 rounds in the fog this past summer during my sunrise golf at the home course. Some with vintage and some with modern clubs. One in particular stands out because it was so dense and it never lifted. I had a mixed bag with me at the time.

On the first tee about 30 minutes before sunrise, there was enough light to see the tree lines but not the hazards. Having developed a tee shot that has become fairly predictable, I lined up and hit two balls thinking at least one of them found the fairway. Both did, and I proceeded to play two balls for the rest of the nine.

Visibility was limited to about 60 yards. I could see some of my targets, but most I could not see. Sound became more important than anything. The sound of my shot - did it sound like a good strike? - and the faint sound of the ball hitting the green. I was also helped by playing the Callaway Chrome Soft Truvia soccer pattern ball. It helped me a lot to pick up the ball in flight for the brief time that it was visible. At least I had a general idea on direction, but no idea on distance.

I found that my concentration must have been heightened and my swing must have become more compact and controlled because I shot what I had always shot on that course. This was before I found and settled on my regular putter, so that was the only area I struggled with.

After coming through the woods and down the hill to the 6th tee, I saw my first other group on the course. Two men and a woman who were playing the back tees and struggling to hit it past the red tees. They were searching for their tee shots so I gave them three Truvias after one of them asked me if I just played 5 holes and seemed surprised by my answer.

The rest of my nine was uneventful. I think the fog had a wonderful calming effect on my swing and enhanced my ability of focus. It was actually kind of spiritual. You hear things that you normally don't hear, like deer crashing around in the woods and amplified bird calls. It was very neat.

As I mentioned, the final score was normal for me at that time, a 44. I had a great morning and absolutely loved it. My wife thought I was a little daft, but after I explained the feeling she understood. Partly I think because she could relate to being out on the trail, just her and her horse, in the quiet and solitude.

Anyway, that was my experience, and I look forward to many more rounds in the fog in the future.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not played much in fog, mainly because I am an afternoon golfer as a rule. I have had a few winter round finish in near darkness, where the tee shot and approach on 18 have been a matter of guesswork, guided only by the lights from the clubhouse. I think the most unusual and entertaining rounds have been in hard frost, which can last all day if a cold night is followed by a still, overcast day. On my usual course there are a couple of greens which never see sun in winter, so even on pleasantly bright days they stay white. However, one of the strangest experiences I've had was when the course was frozen but the frost had burned off the surface, making it look normal. On the first hole I had 100 yards or so in to the green, and for once hit a perfect wedge. I watched it sail gracefully towards the flag, pitch about three feet short of it, and bounce clean over the mature oak tree behind the green, finishing up halfway across the fourth fairway. That tree is about sixty feet high.

Chip and run was the order of the day thereafter.

Been there done that. Played an early morning round this year that sounds similar to the OP's. First hole visibility was about 100 yards but as I moved around the course it got worse and it was about 50 yards. Like you I managed to not lose a ball (incredibly), and I think a large part was being so focused on hitting the fairway and paying close attention to flight while it was visible. Made for a fun round.

One experience maybe 20 some years ago.

Early Winter morning. Teed off with fog and heavy frost on the ground, by the time we hit the first green it started to dump sleet ( wet snow ). Through the 3rd hole it started to float snow flakes. Then it stopped and was very cold.

By the turn the Sun came out to say Hi; and soon rain drops fell on us. I remembered the Sun came out again and stayed when we were on the 16th tee.

It was interesting to say the least.

A pal came down from Scotland when I lived in the Midlands,he had to collect a sporting gun from a dealer near Cheltenham so we decided to make a day of it a play golf at Cleeve Hill,highest point of the Cotswolds and a fantastic golf course with hills,quarries,valleys and an Iron Age fort making up the course.

In the winter (it was December) the greens are fenced off as it's common land used for grazing and the fences prevent the sheep and cattle from trampling the greens and leaving dumps.

Arriving in the car park it lived up to its alternative (golf club) name of Cleeve Cloud!

Dense fog,visibility not more than 50-60 yards,my mate started blustering about it not being playable but shut up when I said that the way he played he wasn't going to lose a ball,the guy taking green fees had a good laugh and told us not to worry about yelling 'Fore' because there was nobody else on the course!

It did lift slightly after four or five holes and we had a decent afternoon.

I mention Flamborough Head in a different thread,it's the bit of Yorkshire that sticks out into the North Sea and has its own micro-climate.Numerous times I've left Bridlington going north on the train to Filey tp pass through dense fog at Flamborough and arrive at Filey in bright sunshine.

I went for a game one day and met up with a fellow member there and we teed off in misty conditions which by the 10th had become blanket fog,very thick,very wet and although we could hear other golfers could see no-one.

The 10th is a downhill par 3 of about 150 yards,completely invisible and at that point discretion played the better part of valour as I deemed it too risky to carry on as the holes run very close together.

Finally,when in York I was selected to play in a York Union event at Kirkbymoorside up in the hills where men are men and the sheep run scared.

Winter Alliance and my partner and I were almost last to tee off.Inevitably in Alliance fixtures you have all the wannabees who if they could drive a bit straighter,chipped better and didn't three putt so often would be out on the pro tour.

So it's slow.

We reached the 17th with enough light to see the green and the hole but by the time we reached the 18th tee all light had gone apart from the windows in the distant clubhouse.

Not so much 'Semper Fi,do or die',it was good old 'S**t or bust' and gave it a lash with the driver on what I thought was the right line.Found it ok and by walking from one side of the fairway to the other and back I managed to pick up where the flag was and hit what felt like a good shot but it was just off the back of the green.

Happily I was nearly under the clubhouse windows and thus had the ball and the green lit up and managed a nice up and down for par.

By some coincidence whenever I was subsequently asked to play there I always had a previous engagement.

Thank you.

Another York Union competition was held at Scarthingwell golf course about 20 miles south west of York,part of the course lies on the same ground that witnessed one of the bloodiest battles of the Wars of the Roses,the battle of Towton.

My playing partner picked me up,it had rained all the previous night and was still raining heavily as we drove out to the course.

Water,water everywhere as per the poem,roads partially flooded and it was bouncing off the tarmac during our journey.

I could see no possibility of play,everywhere was saturated but non-appearance is frowned upon so we turned up and registered and while chatting with the YU organiser and having a coffee I looked out of the clubhouse window overlooking the putting green which in the space of ten minutes had disappeared under a sheet of water.

I didn't hesitate to point this out but was firmly told that play would continue and we needed to get to the tee.

Best waterproof jacket and trousers (Sunice),waterproof FJ's,nutted my drive and made a nice par but after only 15 minutes on the course my bag was soaked,the torrential rain had done for my grips,water coming in over the tops of my shoes and down my neck,I was not a happy bunny.

Second tee I used the old Tom Watson trick of a handkerchief wrapped round the grip and hit a decent one on a decent par 4 that is uphill all the way ro a plateau green and was happy to bunt a 5-iron just off the right edge.

By this time I could feel the rainwater in my underpants,everything and I mean everything was totally saturated.

As I walked up level with the green all I could see was a sheet of water and turned to my partner to say "How the flip are we supposed to putt over this..?" when a buggy appeared containing the organisers who told us that play was suspended and the fixture cancelled.

I asked as politely as possible given the circumstances,why they could not have reached that decision half an hour earlier when it was only too obvious that the course was unplayable to be told that under York Union rules a certain number of players had to be on the course before such a decision could be made and we were just on the wrong side of the cut-off point.

The joy of golf!

under York Union rules a certain number of players had to be on the course before such a decision could be made and we were just on the wrong side of the cut-off point.

The joy of golf!

Holly cow ! I would put those whom made this rule on the golf course each and every time when there is an adverse weather condition. In other words, eat your own cooking before you serve it to the others. I'm glade we don;t have that rule here. I guess, over here the Tournament organizer would be liable should something happen to the golfers if forced to play under adverse condition.

Satellite weather imagery is pretty accurate to predict the local weather to the hour.

Not fog, but I partially blame the weather for two disappointing showings this year in 2 out of 3 of the only tourneys I play.

1) Senior club championship, weather history for July 5 in Toronto showed 109 F humidex !

It was around 90F when we teed off at 9:00 a.m. I was thinking of taking a cart, and should have.

On the last 2 or 3 holes, I was starting to feel dizzy and nauseous.

I was even for 16 holes, and 6 over for two holes ! ("Funny" how the two hardest holes coincided with the peak of the heat ).

Ended up finishing 2nd in a field of ~20, "bitter sweet".

2) (Municipal City Champ) at same course - Sept 8 - 8:00 a.m shotgun - ~60 F with wind 10-15 out of the north. Overcast, "nasty" day.

Literally the "polar opposite" of the Senior Champ.

I only drive it ~230-240 at best on "sunny days", that day I hit 5 tee shots that were barely 190, all weak blocks to the right, with one OB ! 4/5 of those tee balls led directly to bogeys (blocked out behind trees)

(Note to self, if I play next year, wear MORE LAYERS, and a Toque ! )

Heh, shot the same score (76) as the "oven Senior Champ", and was only beat in our group by 1 shot by a kid ~40 yrs younger than me, hitting it ~100 yds further off the tee He did drive one green (~310), but on only a ~5500 yard course, his length was not

that much of an advantage (especially given how crooked he hit it / mediocre wedges / "no putts" made.)

By this time I could feel the rainwater in my underpants,everything and I mean everything was totally saturated.

As I walked up level with the green all I could see was a sheet of water and turned to my partner to say "How the flip are we supposed to putt over this..?" when a buggy appeared containing the organisers who told us that play was suspended and the fixture cancelled.

Years ago ..

A summer Sat when it was just raining all day.

Get a bit of a "strange" phone call .. it's the (now 18 time ), then ~8 time club champion asking me if I want to come out and play 18.

I was actually working at the club in the pro shop, and had only played with him once in the 3 years I'd been working there.

Me : "Uh, it's kind of pouring out there you know"

Him : "It's clearing up !, C'mon out !"

Me: (twist my arm if it all looks playable), "Ok, be right there".

Get there, two other guys have decided to join the insanity, one being a guy I just can't stand.

Rain has stopped, looks like it *might* hold off, we tee off, and half way down the fairway it starts dumping again.

We finish out the hole, decide to play a couple more, see if it stops or what.

Get to the third tee and it's pouring now, but we all tee off anyway.

Third hole was the only p4 on the course then over 400 yards. (Short / tight course).

My grips are needless to say, saturated,so I swing extra smooth / slow (so the club doesn't fly out of my hands in the pouring rain).

Hit one of my best drives ever ! (~250 with Persimmon / balata ... in a torrential downpour )

Club champ : "You should ALWAYS swing that slow !" :)

We "soldiered on", and the rain just kept coming down.

We were putting on greens with an inch or more of water on them.

I was determined to beat "Mr. Annoying", and I ended up shooting EVEN PAR for the front nine, in the pouring rain, putting on "lake greens".

We all decided NOT to play the back nine :/

Never played in fog as we close the course for H&S reasons...Finished a tie at 1006pm earlier this year...by holing a 30 foot putt in darkness. Played in sleet on a links course, in March. So cold my partner could not grip the club on the last four holes. Caught in a thunderstorm on the furthest point from the clubhouse....in summer so no waterproofs....not pleasant. Solid frost is fun. Take one club and an orange or other brightly covered ball.

Not fog, but I partially blame the weather for two disappointing showings this year in 2 out of 3 of the only tourneys I play.

1) Senior club championship, weather history for July 5 in Toronto showed 109 F humidex !

It was around 90F when we teed off at 9:00 a.m. I was thinking of taking a cart, and should have.

On the last 2 or 3 holes, I was starting to feel dizzy and nauseous.

I was even for 16 holes, and 6 over for two holes ! ("Funny" how the two hardest holes coincided with the peak of the heat ).

Ended up finishing 2nd in a field of ~20, "bitter sweet".

2) (Municipal City Champ) at same course - Sept 8 - 8:00 a.m shotgun - ~60 F with wind 10-15 out of the north. Overcast, "nasty" day.

Literally the "polar opposite" of the Senior Champ.

I only drive it ~230-240 at best on "sunny days", that day I hit 5 tee shots that were barely 190, all weak blocks to the right, with one OB ! 4/5 of those tee balls led directly to bogeys (blocked out behind trees)

(Note to self, if I play next year, wear MORE LAYERS, and a Toque ! )

Heh, shot the same score (76) as the "oven Senior Champ", and was only beat in our group by 1 shot by a kid ~40 yrs younger than me, hitting it ~100 yds further off the tee He did drive one green (~310), but on only a ~5500 yard course, his length was not

that much of an advantage (especially given how crooked he hit it / mediocre wedges / "no putts" made.)

It is common here to hold the local tournaments during non-peak season. The nice weather were reserved for outsiders ( non club members ) for obvious reasons. Man's club annual tournament usually held a week after aerate the greens. I understand the importance of revenue flow, Especially those new client base. A very competitive market. A lot of the clubs are advertising for birthday parties and wedding events.......